Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Because I need somewhere to post this:

This is a screenshot because I can't believe it and maybe this is some elaborate prank so when you go to https://goblinworks.com/shop/ it won't be there for you and I need you to understand that this is a real thing that I saw on the website for the upcoming massively multiplayer game pathfinder online.

This game isn't out. I think they're doing early access because they sent me an email about something called Early Enrollment and I don't know how they got my email but they were super squirrely about what exactly Early Enrollment is so I'm not sure you can play it right now unless you give them five thousand american dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I like that they max out the included subscription time at three months. A lifetime sub would just be giving money away, not very financially sound.

Alpha access is only fifty dollars more than that tablet MMO - who's jumping in with me? :homebrew:

MrBims fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
I will probably play this game ironically.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Open PVP sandbox MMO? That's flushing money down a toilet, those don't tend to last long anymore.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For only 5,000 dollars you can get free game time until the game is released plus an additional three months. By their own estimates, that's only $130/mo!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aren't they counting your premium time as used even now? Or did I misunderstand

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I will be deeply surprised if this ever comes out in any way, shape or form. There was a lot of discussion (read: howls of laughter) when it was going on in the Kickstarter thread, because it was clear none of the principals had any idea how to develop an MMO.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Goblinworks ad email posted:

We are almost through with our first month of live, persistent play. As a special perk, you can start playing in January and get your account's XP backdated for the first character you make to the start of play. XP is earned in realtime, so the Early Enrollment accounts that make a character in January will have the most XP possible, forever.
Open PVP MMO where the people who buy in early will be stronger than you, forever. This game is going places! :suspense:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Asimo posted:

Open PVP MMO where the people who buy in early will be stronger than you, forever. This game is going places! :suspense:

Haha, RIP

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Basically it's less a game and more a means to extract money from unfathomably stupid tabletop RPG grognards.

In this respect I am cheering for its success.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pathfinder Online is going to be gaming's greatest wet fart of the past 20 years, and I eagerly look forwards to it in whatever state it ends up being.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Picture, if you will: a group of people with absolutely no idea how to make a fun, balanced tabletop game are attempting to make an MMO - an incredibly complex, multilayered collection of systems working in tandem - that will cater to a group of people whose idea of what constitutes good gameplay is based off of vague tummy feels and cargo cult nonsense. This is the equivalent of a company trying to sell Shrek-embroidered burkas to Marine Le Pen.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I look forward to 10000 word posts about why it's perfectly acceptable and normal that Wizards are the best class because anyone who made noncaster can just reroll, duh.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The biggest irony has to be the high traffic placement of the tavern. How can you have high traffic if nobody is playing? :smugwizard:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
we should pool our money together to buy that 5000 USD tavern and name it Doobie's Dog House

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I would just like to point out that this guy is in charge:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rsdancey

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Xexre posted:

I would just like to point out that this guy is in charge:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rsdancey

Ryan Dancey is the Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Has anyone mentioned that your $5000 tavern can be destroyed yet

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Oh cool, comes with NPC who will hang out in your tavern and be your friend until the upkeep payments the 5k didn't cover run out.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Also it's a tavern in the "Early Enrollment territory" so it'll probably end up in the tutorial island that people are on for 3 minutes and newbies will probably piss on it (so they can learn how to effectively relieve themselves in an alleyway normal mmo stuff) until they, straw by straw, accidentally burn it down because they don't know any better. With accumulated urine damage.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008
Can't wait to see the lawsuits and BBB reports after someone's $5000 bundle of low polygon pixels gets blown up.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

We got the following report from a player (names redacted to protect the innocent and the guilty!)

quote:

Now, I send this with a little trepidation but I've had problems with the player [redacted]
seeming to chase and attempt to kill me multiple times with little reason behind his
actions. I did attempt to get his attention through Roleplay but didn't get a responce
either in or out of character. I'm cautious of reporting him because I didn't have the
chance to give him an out-of-character warning that I would be reporting him him if
he continued to harass me. Take it easy on him please.

It is impossible to know for sure what the motivations are of the agressive character. There are lots of legit reasons that someone might be attacking another character in the wilderness like trying to keep outsiders from harvesting valuable resources, or scouting enemy strength, or just as a way of saying "no tresspassing". Aggressive characters do take risks. On the first hit, they are flagged for a minute with a PvP flag that lets anyone attack them without consequence, and on the second hit, or if their target dies while flagged from the first hit, the agressor will get a PvP flag that last substantially longer and takes a Reputation penalty. Bbelow a certain level of Reputation Thornguards will attack on sight and Feat Trainers and Crafting Facilities will be closed to that character. So random character killing is not risk-free even at this point of Early Enrollment and of course there will be lots of additional development on these features to come.

If this had been happening inside a Settlement (especially an NPC Settlement) or if the attacks had been made with harassing whispers or posts in chat, we'd want to take action to tell the agressor not to engage in that kind of behavior and take more severe action if the behavior continued.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
:allears:

This game is going to have the bestmost entertaining community.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Who is this game even for? Every serious player probably bought in already, so how are they going to keep this alive?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unguided posted:

Who is this game even for? Every serious player probably bought in already, so how are they going to keep this alive?

Asimo posted:

Basically it's less a game and more a means to extract money from unfathomably stupid tabletop RPG grognards.
There's no real skill or competence or coherence behind it's design beyond the same sort of rose-colored grognard nostalgia that lead to Pathfinder existing as a TTRPG product to begin with. If there's competent people on the staff they're basically praying for a Springtime for Hitler style hit but hoping they can abscond with the money when it inevitably collapses. If they're actually true believer hardcore grog sorts then the whole thing will implode in some spectacular fashion within a week of release. The fact the IP holders specifically made a new company that can go bankrupt without bringing it down with them suggests the former, but it will be hilarious to watch either way.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I remember chronicling the dev posts for grog.txt awhile back, which included such gems as the developer claiming that they weren't going to implement sneak attacks because the original design intent of the sneak attack ability in the tabletop game wasn't intended to include people attacking from stealth, or long treatises on why an alignment system is important to an MMO.

Watching Ryan Dancey try and explain things is a process of watching a man beat logic with a club until it says what he wants it to say.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Well, we have a new update on the rules of PVP:

Players, it's time to publish an official policy on this topic.

It is not ok to engage in PvP in NPC Settlements. That means Kindleburn, Marchmont, Ossian's Crossing, and Rathglen. You can gank away in Rotter's Hole. smile

I'm imposing this limit because the Thornguard AI is not strong enough yet to provide adequate defenses to the NPC Settlements and the new players that are inhabiting them. Until we have added enough tech to make the Thornguard able to intercede swiftly in PvP actions in NPC Settlements, we have to have a policy against it.

If you are in an NPC Settlement and you are attacked, please note the name of the character who attacked you and email customer.support@goblinworks.com with that information.

The only exception to this rule is that it is always OK to attack any character with a red name.

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Well, we have a new update on the rules of PVP:

Players, it's time to publish an official policy on this topic.

It is not ok to engage in PvP in NPC Settlements. That means Kindleburn, Marchmont, Ossian's Crossing, and Rathglen. You can gank away in Rotter's Hole. smile

I'm imposing this limit because the Thornguard AI is not strong enough yet to provide adequate defenses to the NPC Settlements and the new players that are inhabiting them. Until we have added enough tech to make the Thornguard able to intercede swiftly in PvP actions in NPC Settlements, we have to have a policy against it.

If you are in an NPC Settlement and you are attacked, please note the name of the character who attacked you and email customer.support@goblinworks.com with that information.

The only exception to this rule is that it is always OK to attack any character with a red name.

Thanks for everyone's understanding.

lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Reinventing the wheel is always a fun design decision.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ground floor

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I assure you that the floor is not very sound so you probably want to stand somewhere else.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Wait, they actually managed to get servers running for players to log in to and some kind of gameplay? That's a lot farther than I thought they would get.

Also looking forward to playing a Witch and pissing people off by making them sleep for hours and controlling them through their dreams because they're too lazy to implement the immunity timer.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Pink's "get this party started" begins playing

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
this game charges you monthly even after you pay to be in the early access

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

There are collections of abilities that mimic the class features of fighters, wizards, rogues and clerics - and eventually we'll do the same for all the other base classes in the core Pathfdinder roleplaying game book.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I look forward to instagibbing everything that isn't mechanical or undead with the slumber-coup de grace combo.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
and mmorpg made to be the anti-wow based on a rules system that was created because dnd4e was 'too wow-like'

layers upon layers

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Apparently the game doesn't use spell slots for wizards. Verisimilitude ruined. Not buying.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol they only charge $15 a month for their early access game

that doesn't keep nearly enough plebs out for me, not buying in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
just play on roll20