Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Somewhere, Scott Hartsman is mentally kicking himself for not asking for monthly fees during ArcheAge's early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the next trend in MMOs is subs for early access with no wipe on that particular server

calling it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTthT8tn5_o

Known features:
Tower capturing
Player buildings, including tents
Graphics and animations that were surpassed by MMOs released a decade ago
Enemies that attack the general direction of their target on occasion
Map
Chat window
Trees, rocks, grass and dirt

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Pathfinder's official campaign setting is stupid, but it's a good, functional kind of stupid. They meticulously included every imaginable cliche, so that you can just dive right in and have dumb fun adventures with minimal deliberation.

The way to translate a setting like this into a video game would be to hire artists and have them squeeze every ounce of personality possible into this, so you at least have something that stands on distinctive appeal that gets people to take notice. World of Warcraft does this reasonably well. It's another godawful pile of cliches that's saved by good, characterful art direction.

But then,

In this gameplay segment of Pathfinder Online, I see three, maybe four of the same trees copy-pasted across an endless expanse with few discernible landmarks, in what appears to be a gigantic hex-grid.

This wouldn't even make a fun environment in a drat tabletop session.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

"Eh, grass is too hard to do, just throw some ugly tufts around then give the ground a grass texture. It was good enough in 2004, right?" :effort:

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

finally an mmo where i can shamble around a forest killing wolves

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

I'm surprised to find out this game is actually still a thing

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Truly groundbreaking.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

This can't be real.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Oh wow that run cycle. And those player models. And the spell animations. This has to be lost footage from a decade ago, right? I can't look away.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This would've looked bad a decade ago. A decade ago we had WoW and City of Heroes.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
This reminds me of Asheron's Call in a bad way.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I felt like I was there, I could smell the grass, feel the wind...

Hey is this game on a tablet?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Are any goons actually playing this?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If your free donation money isn't enough to hire someone to program features, modern gaming standards are actually fine with just telling people what to do like making a rule on how hard the kids in your 3rd grade gym class you teach can throw the dodgeball while you drink cheap whiskey from a desk with a fake wood finish. I'm waiting for the MMO standard to include asking the community to draw textures for the developers in a contest to see who wins a free two month subscription.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Because I need somewhere to post this:

This is a screenshot because I can't believe it and maybe this is some elaborate prank so when you go to https://goblinworks.com/shop/ it won't be there for you and I need you to understand that this is a real thing that I saw on the website for the upcoming massively multiplayer game pathfinder online.

This game isn't out. I think they're doing early access because they sent me an email about something called Early Enrollment and I don't know how they got my email but they were super squirrely about what exactly Early Enrollment is so I'm not sure you can play it right now unless you give them five thousand american dollars.

3 months of game time? what a deal

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, it is a lifetime subscription.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Asimo posted:

Well, it is a lifetime subscription.

:hfive:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
How much of this did they outright steal from other games

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jackard posted:

How much of this did they outright steal from other games

It's Pathfinder, so all of it

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
If you think that video was bad, you missed out on the alpha content. End of last year when it was their dev machine, rebooted once a day or whenever they discovered a major problem (so not infrequently), they'd release a proud milestone blog like a kids masterpiece coming home from school.

Having backed it, I got the invite to early enrolement at the end of December and it went 'live' on the first of January. To say it was underwhelming would be a bit of an understatement. No tutorial, no explanations just a bunch of static NPCs and you're supposed to work it out yourself. The fact that it kept dropping the connection and doing that lag skid thing MMOs do meant I didn't bother long.

I looked back in this last week past with the release of EE5. It's fairly stable now at least but they still don't seem to have any idea what they're making or who the target audience is. The mechanics are changed a fair bit to make it fit as a computer game so it's not going to please the purists. The PvP features are as unfinished as everything else so 'evil' players just sort of gang up on people and gank them - which led to that ban on killings inside NPC towns.

On the other hand the crafting system was put in in close to the planned version, so not all raw materials are available near one place on the map. To build anything complex will require trade and travel - both of which are not implemented yet other than people legging it from one place to another (hoping they don't get ganked).

It'll be fun to watch it and see how it goes but the fact that they're selling EE access at all says a lot. It was supposed to be hotly contested with Goblinworks 'gating' people in as the months pass to build up the population. There's even a thread on the Paizo forums for people who backed it for the miniatures etc with no intention of ever playing to sell their accounts. I saw one whole other human player today in about 2 hours running around. To sum up, at present it's a rather ugly jogging and gathering simulator with occasional surprise murders.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Ratzap posted:

If you think that video was bad, you missed out on the alpha content. End of last year when it was their dev machine, rebooted once a day or whenever they discovered a major problem (so not infrequently), they'd release a proud milestone blog like a kids masterpiece coming home from school.

Having backed it, I got the invite to early enrolement at the end of December and it went 'live' on the first of January. To say it was underwhelming would be a bit of an understatement. No tutorial, no explanations just a bunch of static NPCs and you're supposed to work it out yourself. The fact that it kept dropping the connection and doing that lag skid thing MMOs do meant I didn't bother long.

I looked back in this last week past with the release of EE5. It's fairly stable now at least but they still don't seem to have any idea what they're making or who the target audience is. The mechanics are changed a fair bit to make it fit as a computer game so it's not going to please the purists. The PvP features are as unfinished as everything else so 'evil' players just sort of gang up on people and gank them - which led to that ban on killings inside NPC towns.

On the other hand the crafting system was put in in close to the planned version, so not all raw materials are available near one place on the map. To build anything complex will require trade and travel - both of which are not implemented yet other than people legging it from one place to another (hoping they don't get ganked).

It'll be fun to watch it and see how it goes but the fact that they're selling EE access at all says a lot. It was supposed to be hotly contested with Goblinworks 'gating' people in as the months pass to build up the population. There's even a thread on the Paizo forums for people who backed it for the miniatures etc with no intention of ever playing to sell their accounts. I saw one whole other human player today in about 2 hours running around. To sum up, at present it's a rather ugly jogging and gathering simulator with occasional surprise murders.

did you back it ironically, did you back it because "why not" and you could take or leave the money, or did you actually think it had a chance of being good? i'd like an insight into your psyche.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Zarithas posted:

did you back it ironically, did you back it because "why not" and you could take or leave the money, or did you actually think it had a chance of being good? i'd like an insight into your psyche.

None of the above :hehe:

Some friends and I play tabletop games via fantasy grounds every week or so. One of the guys who DMs pathfinder and is all into pathfinder put me onto PFO coming up. His wife would frown very deeply at him blowing cash on something as dodgy as the PFO kickstarter so I grabbed a buddy twin pack backer level thing and gave him one. I'm have a fairly generous disposable income when I work so you could say it came into category 2. Plus I have a thing for MMOs (even though I'm not a people person) and I like to at least look into any I find out about, the major ones definitely. That's getting difficult though as there are just so drat many coming out. There's something majestic about some of the MMO alpha/beta train wrecks which normal titles just can't touch.

PFO could find a niche but subs in what is essentially alpha? Time will tell on the extent of the failure but this one has potential for a big crunch and given the tie-in with Paizo has potential to splash over onto them (they host the forums for one).

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Ratzap posted:

So fantasy DayZ

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

sword_man.gif posted:

this game charges you monthly even after you pay to be in the early access

That's how all Quadruple-A rated games work that have high rated graphics, intense storyline, and no flawed game mechanics.

Oh wait.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
I bought this on kickstarter I thought it might end up worth it for a month or 2. However when I found out they wanted to charge a sub for early alpha access I lost all desire to even try the game.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I feel like these guys might have a better chance. They even have a very attractive Kickstarter video.

But seriously don't give this Pathfinder kickstarter your money, it's a pump and dump.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Isn't the guy behind this also incredibly GRR GOONS GOONSWARM IS THE EPITOME OF EVERYTHING WRONG WITH ONLINE GAMES?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anticheese posted:

Isn't the guy behind this also incredibly GRR GOONS GOONSWARM IS THE EPITOME OF EVERYTHING WRONG WITH ONLINE GAMES?

Last I looked yes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What sandbox MMO's with a focus on PvP are worth playing right now? I'm playing Eve-Online, but I want a fantasy MMO.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

No pvp sandboxes out there right now are worth playing, far as I know.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

What sandbox MMO's with a focus on PvP are worth playing right now? I'm playing Eve-Online, but I want a fantasy MMO.

Maybe Crowfall will actually be kind of fun when it comes out next year, though I sincerely doubt it. At least the graphics look like they were made in the last decade.

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

I said come in! posted:

If you missed it check out the Albion thread. Another "not right now" game, but looks very promising.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Grogsy posted:

If you missed it check out the Albion thread. Another "not right now" game, but looks very promising.

Albion looks like dog poo poo riddled with consistently terrible design decisions. Which I suppose is better than the completely nonsensical design decisions of PO.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 25, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Five thousand american dollars.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I've gone over the "manual". Here's some choice quotes.

quote:

When you die, each item in your inventory has a 25% chance to be destroyed. Whatever remains will be placed in a “husk” which can be looted by any player one item at a time or recovered in one action by its character.
Coin which you have in your inventory is subject to this rule. Abadar credit (bank credit) is not. Visit Banks often to deposit your coin!

Translation: Somebody really liked the Rallos Zek server in EverQuest, but felt it wasn't punishing enough.

quote:

You can only have 3 characters per account. If you decide to delete a character it takes 24 hours for the deletion to become permanent and for that slot to be recycled. Be careful about making characters just to see what they look like.

Translation: Hey, you know that thing people do when starting an MMO, trying out various race/class combos til they find something they like the aesthetic of? gently caress those people.

quote:

Do not train Rank 2 of an attack, cantrip, orison, or armor Feat until you have acquired at least +1 or better gear matching that Feat. You will get no mechanical benefit until your Feat ranks activate Keywords on your gear. (See more in the Activating Keywords section)

Translation: We're secretly 4rrys at heart.

quote:

There are no NPC vendors. You should sell all starter gear you don’t need on the Auction House in your starter Settlement, and you should buy starter gear you do need on that Auction House. Selling your unwanted gear and buying the gear you do want will jump-start the economy and make it much easier for new characters to get correctly equipped."

Translation: We don't want this to look anything like a Pathfinder game you might expect to sit down and play. We want to make it as irritating as loving possible to get started if you happen to start out later.

quote:

Races in Pathfinder Online
The 3 races available: Humans, Elves, and Dwarves, have different starting bonuses. All three races get some benefits to various skills related to crafting and harvesting. Dwarves get bonuses to Heavy Melee attacks, and get a bonus when making Divine attacks. Elves get bonuses for Light Melee attacks, ranged attacks, and Arcane attacks. Humans get a smaller attack bonus than Dwarves or Elves but they get it to all attacks.

I don't know, I'm seeing 4e Keywords and thinking there is no way in hell is this game ever going to live up to the name they've put on the game.

quote:

Physical Appearance
The choices you make about your gender or the way your character looks have no mechanical effects.

Except if you get it in game and decide you don't like it you've gotta wait til 9am EST to remake the character.

This is the actual image quality in the PDF. I'm sorry-not-sorry. Looks like Crafting is giant chunks of downtime. 6.7 minutes for what looks like a 40 arrows. Cut down from 33.3 minutes.

quote:

Currently all ranged attacks including the casting of cantrips or orisons “root” the character. The character has to remain stationary during the attack.

Hey, 'cause this is still a thing. As lovely as Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was, casters being able to move during casting was a good thing that even loving Blizzard, God-Kings of MMOs has adopted lately into WoW, starting with everything Hunters do and ending with certain spells being able to be cast on the move. But sure, let's reinvent the loving wheel in a market that is predicated upon iterative development.

Also being in melee as ranged means you take extra damage if you're smacked around. Because gently caress you.

quote:

The biggest difference between the two kinds of attacks is that ranged attacks usually put the “Attack of Opportunity” condition on your character, which means that some melee attacks made against your character will do extra damage. Generally, a character firing a bow standing next to a monster using a sword will take damage faster than the same character using a sword.

quote:

Ammunition and Charges
Currently not implemented but planned for inclusion soon. For now, fire at will!

Reinventing the wheel, not learning from the mistakes of giants, standing on the rear end of giants to pee instead of their shoulders, etc., etc. Moving on.

quote:

Arcane Spell Penalties
With Early Enrollment v7 we have introduced Arcane Spell penalties. This system is similar to the tabletop RPG mechanic. If you wear armor other than clothing your arcane effects (from cantrips or spells) will have a reduced effectiveness. Wearing heavy metal armor reduces Arcane effects to almost nothing.

Hey look, it's the loving Elder Scrolls Online treatment of ASF. Because gently caress you.

Another note on dying:

quote:

Durability
All the gear you had equipped will reappear with your character and it will take a point of durability damage. When your gear reaches 0 durability it is destroyed. Currently there is no way to repair damaged items.

Because gently caress you. Why don't they just loving implement permadeath? That's clearly what they loving want.

quote:

PvP
Player vs. Player conflict is at the heart of Pathfinder Online. As you play you’ll find that sometimes other characters will attack and try to defeat your character.
Characters can be flagged for unprovoked PvP. If you hit an unflagged target once your character will get the Attacker flag which lasts for 1 minute. If you hit an unflagged target twice, your character will get the Aggressor flag, which lasts as long as your character is in combat plus
30 seconds.
If you attacked a character without a flag and that character dies before completely healing your character will lose Reputation. The higher the Reputation of the target, the bigger the Reputation
penalty. If your character’s Reputation drops below -2,500 the Thornguard will attack you on sight and Crafting facilities and Feat Trainers everywhere but Rotter’s Hole will be closed to your character. Like XP, your character’s Reputation regenerates at 30 points per hour in realtime.

Hey look, the exact wrong way to handle pvp by forcing people to opt-in with loving griefers who probably don't give a poo poo about the penalties. There was another MMO that came out recently that treated PvP penalties similarly to this, what was it? Oh yeah, ArcheAge. How much griefing exists in that game? ALL OF IT. Except they aren't stupid enough to allow griefers to attack people not flagged.

FFXIV-style Events are in called Escalations. So they clearly understood iterative design. Or are just ripping poo poo off.

quote:

Wands, Staves & Foci
Wizards use Wands and Staves and Clerics use Foci. They
work just like swords and bows do. You equip them by dragging them from your Inventory to the Paper Doll, making them the active weapon, and then you slot their Feats into the Action Bar. You learn cantrips for Wizards, orisons for Clerics from Trainers. Actual Wizard and Cleric Spells are cast using Implements (Spellbooks and Holy Symbols) and are learned from inventory items.

Implements come in four flavors, one for each of the four implemented Roles. Arcane Spellbooks, Divine Holy Symbols, Rogue Kits and Fighter Trophy Charms.

Why do they even call this Pathfinder Online? This is 4e all loving over.

quote:

Priorities: Functions over Discovery
In keeping with the MVP philosophy our team has prioritized building functionality over making those functions discoverable in game. You will need to consult various out-of-game materials including message board forums, wikis, and various pieces of written documentation to become fully informed on how all the game systems work and interrelate.

The User Interface (UI) has been implemented at an MVP level as well. It is functional but does not provide much contextual information yet.

Based on your feedback and the Crowdforging process this will incrementally change over time as we move toward a more polished and useful UI. Your feedback on these topics will be crucial to our success in improving this aspect of the game and we welcome it!

I love Function over Form, but you still need Form at some point before releasing it to the end user, you cockbags. If you tried to release this to an end user in ANY OTHER loving ENVIRONMENT and told them they had to read a forum instead of, I don't know, the loving MANUAL or have it baked into the end-user interface, you would get loving laughed at or loving FIRED. I don't care this is in your so-called "beta" or "crowdforging" state, this is loving unprofessional as gently caress.

Crowning quote right here, though:

quote:

Pathfinder Online is a game that is being developed in a unique and exciting new process.

Most MMOs take 5 years or more to make and when they’re released virtually all the core game mechanics are set in stone. Graphics and the UI are polished. Discovery of how the game works through tutorials and help systems are robust.

Pathfinder Online is being released in its 2nd year of development, when many systems are only preliminarily implemented. You’re seeing a game in a state of development that most players have never experienced.

The idea of a “Minimum Viable Product” is to do just enough development work to create a foundation of basic functionality that we can put into service and begin generating input from actual users.

The game has now reached that state. Early Enrollment marks the start of persistent gaming in Pathfinder Online – there will be no character resets or database wipes from this point forward.

That means that you can give real, meaningful feedback on how the game will be developed.

We call that process Crowdforging. We think that the people who will play Pathfinder Online as we begin Early Enrollment are the kind of people who love the idea of helping to make an MMO.

Yes, it’s a little rough around the edges. But the trade-off of being a part of fundamentally defining how the game will work is worth it!

This game is constantly evolving and improving. We update everything in a process of continuous incremental improvement based on the feedback we get from the community.

Tl;dr: Hey guys, they believed we'd change things during the beta test of Pathfinder, bet we can make them believe it again.

Translation: We want to gently caress you in the rear end by making you pay for this game while it's in development. Hey, AAA titles do it, why not us, right? And you better believe this game won't be improved whatsoever where it's mechanically found lacking because we're dumbasses who have no idea what the gently caress we're doing.

I'm going to call it based on past experience with Paizo; three years down the line, this game "releases" and not a single loving core system is change despite feedback.

Nothing about this is on the level.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 19, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Jesus loving Christ I've never seen a game with such a hate boner for its own players like this before.

People are paying tons of money to get early access to this?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Anoia posted:

Jesus loving Christ I've never seen a game with such a hate boner for its own players like this before.

You didn't see Paizo's Pathfinder playtest then. This is just the same poo poo sandwich Paizo has dished out for its customer base and they still eat it up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

RelentlessImp posted:

This is 4e all loving over
No because that would be good. Shame we haven't ever gotten a proper 4E video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Anoia posted:

People are paying tons of money to get early access to this?

I can't be bothered, but if anyone wants to take a look it seems you get a free 15 day trial by creating an account on their site.