Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

vanmartin posted:

Thanks for the tip, I fashioned a rubber holder attached to the cord in the meantime that seems to do the trick. Regarding the cordless drill, I would have made the switch ages ago if it was within my means but decent cordless tools are horrendously expensive in my country (even secondhand). There are cheaper options but from personal experience they're next to useless aside from sinking screws into chipboard or drywall. Since most homes are brick around here there's only so much you can do with these.

I just bought a Milwaukee 18v cordless SDS Plus Rotary Hammer and it will sink a 12mm bit into reinforced concrete like its made of butter.

Cordless tools have come a LONG way from 10 years ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Interesting your not allowed to share a trench with the water and power- thats one thing we're allowed to do here, but we also have to dig the power down a minimum of 600mm too, where as water can be "kick some dirt over the pipe" close to the surface if you like repairing it regularly.

I've got common trenches at home- power is down at 600mm in sand, with 150mm of sand and a warning tape over that, then 50mm of sand, 90mm stormwater and 25mm supply water over that, sand over that then soil backfill. We've also got trenches at work that have an 11KV power cable at 600mm, then at 400mm 3x 100mm water lines, then at 300mm a 40mm reticulated supply, and thats all legal.

Your inspector said you cant run em side by side and have to be 12" apart- Find out whether 12" of VERTICAL separation in the same trench is good enough. Also, when you put your conduit in, dont do what I did and cheap out. I put in 1" conduits and then ran a 10mm2 cable through it to the shed. I really should have put in a 1.5 or 2" conduit because now if i ever want to upgrade my service to 3 phase and put 3 phase out into the shed, i need to run a new conduit out there!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My neighbours have 3 phase into their house, I've got it about 6M from my meter box and its just a new trench for a bigger conduit and a new meter and its on.

which I may have to do... between the house, workshop, spa and AC im getting VEEEEEERRRRYYYY close to the 65A meter isolator breaker tripping point. Pretty much if the AC is on, the Spa is heating, the house is occupied and i strike an arc on the MIG welder i'll trip the main breaker...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

220v/50hz single phase in Australia, so our we get a lot more bang for buck out of our amps.

Tho the neighbours 3 phase means they get access to either 3x 220v/50hz @ 65A each or they can get a 400v/50hz supply which they need to drive their AC unit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

It is- Mines on the absolute limit of what you can run off single phase (14KW heating, 12.3kw cooling, 28A start current and 17A constant running) and theirs would be half as large again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Dunno what you lot use over there, but for here we'd just run metric poly pipe. Literally comes on a roll, you unroll it, bury it and then hook the ends to what you want.

http://www.philmac.com.au/Products/Pipe-Fittings/Compression-for-Water-Metric-Poly-Pipe

And its good for something rediculous like 1600kpa so you can even use the poo poo for compressed air lines!

• Locked thread