Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am sure many of you beer (but also spirits, food, and wine) geeks have come across a review of a bottle or dish of something you just ate, or plan on having. Most reviews are helpful, giving in clear terms what they are ingesting, what it looks, smells, and tastes like and generally gives you a good idea of what to expect. Sometimes however, reviewers think they are supposed to write poetry, or a novel filled with imagery and metaphors in every line. Sometimes you get a review like this:

quote:

Pours a deep mahogany that has sublte hues of cola and dark caramel brown. Impeccable clarity even though it is almost completely opaque. If you turn your attention to the bottom of the glass you can clearly see the tiny champagne like bubbles rising furtively to the top. The head is tan and creamy. It's slow to fall and it constantly refreshes with each turn of the glass leaving a pretty thick layer on top. Sheets of lace to look at as they slide back down into the beer as you drink.

Nose is Belgian yeast, earthy and woody. The vibrant scent of ripe cherries. A dark fruit quality overall but nothing you can pinpoint and call raisin or fig or prune. The malt is perfectly roasted with an earthy depth of it's own. It seems to come right to the edge of all the dark roast scents like chocolate or coffee but stops right at the edge. That is terribly exciting as it's grain promises a smooth and rich taste with only of hint at sweetness on the nose that isn't from fruit. It's a touch nutty as it warms. There is some clove to round out the nose.

The taste is pure delight. It has the tart and lively cherry, the earthy dryness of the Belgian yeast, the depth of the roasted malt. The malt is as smooth and as delicate as such a dark roast could possibly be. The clove and spice add a bit more complexity. The carbonation is ticklish and tiny bubbles add to the lightness of the body. The drink is just a touch boozy and to your delight. It is only a faint warmth as you swallow and the carbonation lightens that as well.

Add this one to the beers you must have by Unibroue. Expressive in the glass from it's stately appearance to it's sumptuous flavors. This beer is vigorous and bewitching.

Yes, this beer is vigorous and bewitching! In honor of having a couple small bottle shippers laying around I am holding a contest. Give me your most pretentious, ridiculous review. Do they list contradictory terms in trying to cram as many adjectives as possible into the aroma? Do they say has a taste of every fruit imaginable? Then that is what we are looking for! Rules below:

1.) All reviews must be amateurs and include a link.
Sites like Beeradvocate.com and ratebeer.com are perfect fodder. Don't link to some guy who is paid to do this. I am not interested.

2.) Any review of beer, wine, spirit, or even food is ok.
Each review should be of something that you can get again. Some guys homebrew or a chefs private meal doesn't count. It can be a rare or difficult to get thing, but I must be able to get it in some way.

3.) 1st place gets two bottles of beer, 2nd place gets one.
This is mostly a beer oriented event, but I am all for equal mockery of everything. That said, you will get some craft from South Florida. Its a surprise as to what you get, but it will either be something from the cellar, or a growler/crowler of local beer. Yes, this event is partly because I have no clue what to do with my one and two bottle shippers. Winners will be determined solely by what makes my friend and I laugh and roll our eyes the most.

Deadline will be TBA, but I will put a three day notice on it.

Regulars of the beer thread have occasionally posted ridiculous reviews, so they know what we are looking for. This is primarily a contest for them, but everyone is welcome to participate. Feel free to post as many as possible, but be reasonable. Don't just spam a ton reviews. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

This one immediately came to mind. Dunno if Facebook is kosher though!

This is not the first time he has said a beer was as black as Oksana Biauls heart.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I got this locked down. Choose your favorite review from TheBrewo on BA.

The first one that caught my attention was Bell's Black Note (best parts in bold):
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/37265/?ba=TheBrewo

quote:

We pop the top on a bottle of the 2012 stock (thanks Ashley P.!!), and pour into our oversized tasting snifters. It shows the deepest Tootsie pop brown, letting though a few faint rays of shimmering ruby when scrutinized intensely under direct light. The pour was delicate and produced only a few aggregates of chocolate mousse colored bubbles, but a rough swirl of the glass kicks up more of a crown. Spots of lacing are found peppered around the glass in rows. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be light. The aroma, right from the start, gives epic waves of buttery, warming bourbon smoothness, even when still cold at fridge temperatures. As it warms it really starts to bud, offering notes of densely roasted chocolate and brown malts, singed molasses crisp, sweet brown breadiness, rich milk chocolate creaminess, dried raisins and candied black cherries, plum juiciness, soy sauce saltiness, plastic and chemical phenols, powdered cocoa, charred oak, gentle charcoal, harsh fusel ethanol, and faint grassy hop bitterness. Our first impression is that this beer is absolutely fantastic, and lives up to the hype with everything you would hope for. As we sip, the taste begins with fusel boozy burn of bourbon and its accompanying soured oak, sweet and lactic creaminess, cloying cherry fruit juiciness, sweet chocolate, coffee, and general brown maltiness, dark plum flesh, burning stomach acid acidity, and crisply roasted espresso beans. The middle peaks with undeniable sweetness of white sugar, musk, tannic breakfast tea leafiness, slimy Muscat grape skins, cloying milk and dark chocolate syrups, ethanolic rumbles, and smoky X-mas ham. Following through the end is a blend of bitter char and light smoke, sweeter brushes of both melty nibs and powdered dark cocoa, fig, truffle and sesame oiliness, musky oakiness, gravel, heavy creamer, and a final heavy roast of the malts mixing with the fleetingly smooth sweetness of the bourbon. The aftertaste breathes of rich and dark chocolate cocoa, bittering leathers, plastic phenols, fuming smokiness, distant floral hops, black cherry and plum juiciness, burn of bourbon, cooked brown sugars, buttery pie crust, diacetyls and sweet banana esters, basement musk, and perfumed phenols. The body is medium to fully, but chewy, while carbonation is light to medium. Each sip gives excellent slurp, smack, cream, froth, and pop, with the lips left speckled with quickly drying residual sugars. The mouth is coated and left sapped with those same sugars. This remains for quite some time, eventually giving way to a surprisingly mild tannic pucker focused towards the far back of the palate. The abv is appropriately warming, and the beer sips wildly slowly, as you’re not quite sure if you’ll ever see her again, and want to savor every last minute you have left with her.

How about Founders Dark Penance:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/127483/?ba=TheBrewo

quote:

We pop some bottles, pouring into our St. Bernardus goblets. It appears a deep brown walnut coloring, holding a one finger head of oily, disjointed latte bubbles. Retention is moderate, leveling into slick dripping islands of lacing around our glasses. No haze or sediment is noted, and carbonation appears to be robust, at least at the periphery. Smells include the deepest dark black malt roastiness, fruity cherry flesh, bile acidity, tinny metallics, bright soapy and tropical nectary hoppiness, emollient essence, buttery diacetyls, toasted coconut meat, drying cocoa powder, cologne muskiness, cold pressed coffee coolness, weedy florals, white flour, dried corn, :siren::wtf:manure funk, diabetic foot ulcer purulence (in the most oddly delicious way possible), :siren::wtf:and cooked brown sugar cloy. The taste buds meet a simple but hearty blend of heavily charred and roasted black and caramel malts, floral hoppiness, rosewater sweetness, black coffee bitters, hollow boozy wash, graphite, leathery oiliness, adhesive stickiness, vanilla coolness, white sugar, surprisingly bitter piney hops, green aloe saps, synthetic red grape juiciness, perfumed musk and dust, parsnip rootiness, plastic phenolic bitters, fully bittered cacao, and chocolate ice cream sprinkles. The body is solidly medium, and the carbonation is equally as medium. Slurp and smack come nicely off the liquid, but cream and froth are entirely lacking. Pop and glug remain intact. The mouth is cooled and dried with a chalky powderiness. The abv is appropriate, and the beer drinks back nicely.

Mmmmmm yeah, delicious diabetic foot ulcer purulence! WHAT THE gently caress :gonk:

Highlights from other reviews:

quote:

The first thing you get is this harsh vodka booziness that is slowly chipped away by bittered grassy, herbal, and resinous hoppiness, dandelion leafiness and floral petal stickiness, dried hibiscus, sesame seediness, dill, black and Cheyenne pepper grit, celery salt, iceberg lettuce vegetals, chlorine, Elmer’s glue, hot plastic phenols, wood lacquer, and brandy woodiness.

quote:

The taste to follow was a powerhouse of cloying milk and dark chocolate syrups and malt bite, thick black molasses, burnt black, chocolate, and coffee maltiness, equally as sweet nectary and tropical pineapple, mango, and citric fruity hoppiness, marijuana brownie butter and batter, cardboard and Styrofoam, fiery booze, pencil tip woodiness, big bubblegum esters, liquid caramel, coppery metallics, burnt Creme brûlée sugars, muddy mineral, and cocoa-powdered truffles

DIABETIC FOOT ULCER PURULENCE

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
mmmm cardboardiness, styrofoaminess and pencil tip woodiness

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Hahaha okay now those are amazing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
some good ones from BA user Paisan:

Rodenbach Vin De Céréale:

"I have caught a double-agent. The owner of "d'Afspraak" in Mechelen told me it was hiding in his cellar. Un-be-liev-able it hadn't yet been discovered there.

It's a wine pretending to be a beer, and a beer posing as a wine. It is neither and yet both.
It doesn't don the expected white hat, nor does it wear the classic frivolous lace. No-nonsense attire, and a nice tan to boot.

Suspicious already, I wanted to sniff it out. And oh, this Rodenbach was good at its job; it confused me even more. Cider, oak, chocolate, grass, malt: it was all there. An eau de toilette that could conceal anything and everything.

Now that I had my teeth into it, I was determined to reveal it as a fraud, but it threw everything it had at me.
Sweet and alluring, sourly contradicting my accusations, flirting and warm, such a smooth operator. Nearly had me calling it honey.

I may have caught it, but I have to admit it seduced me - like you might expect of the goodlooking spies in a James Bond movie. And I don't regret it one bit, nor will I ever turn it in. There are few of them left in the world, and less every day - you'll be lucky if you ever get to see one, let alone catch it."

Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic-Bio

"Picture this:
You're standing in the door of a threshing barn, looking out over an orchard with apples, lemons and oranges.
The setting sun pours an amber haze over everything. You close your eyes and feel the sun's warmth on your face, and the smells of the fruit - sweet and sour, almost stinging -, and barn - wood, somewhat mouldy, different cereals, dust, undefinable funk - swirl and mingle.
And you feel like you'd want to stay there forever.

That's Cantillon geuze: amber to golden colour, your expected barnyard funky smell, and a very sour bite to it, just enough alcohol to warm you without burning. It's a geuze, and i happen to love those, and this one is quite exceptional.
The ONLY pure and natural geuze: no addition of any yeasts, the wort is inoculated with wild yeast spores in the air.
The original beer, in every sense."

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Rhettroactive has some "good" ones, as well.

Mother of All Storms

"From 22oz bottle to glass at Shannon's Big Bad Barleywine Tasting on 4/9/11.
*From notes

Vintage 2010

A: Imagine you've accidentally added a heaping dollop of molasses to the richest red velvet batter you've ever seen. That my friends is what this Mother looks like. A careful, straight pour yields an eye opening 1.75 finger head and reasonable lacing.

S: Like the best vintage port you've never had. The bouquet on this one is simply marvelous. I can't begin to explain quite how complex this is. There are so many wild and crazy nuances exploding within my nostrils: figs, plums, dried apricots and hard caramel candy. I think I spent more time inhaling this godly concentrate then I did drinking it.

T: Buy a farm. Once you've settled in and cultivated the soil, spend the next fifty years growing the choicest fruit trees the world over. Figs, dates, plums, morello cherries, persimmons and more. Their roots will grow deep into the earth. The heavenly fruit these trees will bear will vine ripen, and once at their peak, you'll harvest them by hand. After a long day in the field, take your prized crop home and dry them. Allow the sugars to crystalize, the skins to shrivel and the flavors to concentrate. With your old, weary and wrinkly hands, squeeze the dried fruits, wring every last drop. And once you've painstakingly completed this arduous task, bottle the Godly nectar and call it the Mother of All Storms.

M: It feels like I'm drinking motor oil. It's extremely thick and cloying. From the moment it enters my mouth, it explodes with a sticky nature not seen in many brews.

O: I'll keep it simple: Pelican's Mother of All Storms is best Enlgish Barleywine I've ever had.

Period."

Marrón Acidifié

"From 750ml bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/24/11
*From notes

A: It's a hazy charred burgundy to burnt umber. A .75 finger head is the byproduct of a generous pour. There are floaties as well, which look like curdled milk, though they have no substance and cannot be detected within the mouth.

S: The sour funk of black cherries and dried figs is astounding. It also showcases quite a bit of what I decect as new, medium toasted oak. Immensely complex.

T: Vinegar hits and instantly the mouth begins watering. The mid is a playground for the dark fruits, which come off like sun dried concentrate. As it winds down, the tannic acid and vannilin dry the mouth ever so slightly, prepping the palate for the next nip. I've never in my life had a beer quite like this. Putting it into words seems to trivialize the experience. It simply must be had to be understood. Perfection.

M: The carbonation is really welcoming, as I find most beers within the sour realm tend to be somewhat soft or flabby. This is slightly oily, but it suits the beer and it certainly has more body then most within the style.

O: The Bruery and Cigar City have created a masterpiece with their Marron Acidifie. It stands as a monumental achievement, and will certainly be at or near the top of my 2011 best-of list."

really, anything he reviewed early on and scored above a 4.4 reads like this.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

funkybottoms posted:

"Picture this:
You're standing in the door of a threshing barn, looking out over an orchard with apples, lemons and oranges.
The setting sun pours an amber haze over everything. You close your eyes and feel the sun's warmth on your face, and the smells of the fruit - sweet and sour, almost stinging -, and barn - wood, somewhat mouldy, different cereals, dust, undefinable funk - swirl and mingle.

That's Cantillon geuze: amber to golden colour, your expected barnyard funky smell, and a very sour bite to it, just enough alcohol to warm you without burning. It's a geuze, and i happen to love those, and this one is quite exceptional.
The ONLY pure and natural geuze: no addition of any yeasts, the wort is inoculated with wild yeast spores in the air.

This is what bothers me most about this review. It's 5% alcohol. 5% buddy...Never have I felt a warming sensation from a 5% beer.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
This may or may not count, but these are some of the best descriptions I've ever heard. Now, his reviews are super helpful, and very nice, but some of his descriptors are just a bit much. Here's one of my favourite examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2UVmcrp3Nk&t=497s
"Seaweed, costal, bonfires on a beach... in winter"
It's really worth watching just for the superlatives.

Still love Ralfy, but amusing nonetheless.

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Midorka posted:

This is what bothers me most about this review. It's 5% alcohol. 5% buddy...Never have I felt a warming sensation from a 5% beer.

Dome a 750 and you'll feel it. Not a great example, but my pet peeve in beer reviews is the superlative "smooth". It's everywhere and it means exactly nothing.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

"Picture this:

Is it wrong that I actually like this review? It's certainly a lot better than the ten thousand nonsensical flavour descriptors sort of reviews; it really captures the feeling that the beer can impart without being ten thousand words in length.

Maybe I'm part of the problem.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You can like the review but it is still overkill. I'm personally holding out for a balls to the wall Red Dog review.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

ExtremistCow posted:

Dome a 750 and you'll feel it. Not a great example, but my pet peeve in beer reviews is the superlative "smooth". It's everywhere and it means exactly nothing.

I think I have an alcohol problem then, a 5% bomber will do nothing to me...

I should curb my drinking habits.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Krustster is killing it with those reviews. I have nothing to top them, but this one seemed a bit excessive to me. Das Wunderkind from Jester King. In my mind I'm picturing this reviewer as Edward Nigma from the new Gotham tv show, nerdy socially awkward dude who doesn't understand why people don't want to know every thought he has.

quote:

Another saison from the darling brewery of Texas. Refrigerated for a few days prior to opening. 4.5% ABV confirmed per the label. OG: 1.035. FG: 1.002. IBU: 16. 1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label art and fantastic cap art (on a branded pry-off pressure cap) acquired at me local HEB Grocery and served into Cantillon stemware in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I like their sours but I've yet to be blown away by one of their saisons. Reviewed as a saison because it clearly identifies as such on the label.

Served cold, straight from me fridge, and allowed to warm slightly over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

The beer does rise after I pop the cap; it may be overcarbonated. Expect a gusher if it hasn't been refrigerated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay creaminess and thickness. No real frothiness. Head retention is poor - about 40 seconds. Little lacing as the head recedes.

Body colour is a nontransparent translucent hazy bright yellow-copper. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's definitely within style conventions and is pretty standard fare for a saison.

Sm: Plenty of doughy and bready yeast character. Lemon zest, lemongrass, lemon esters. Lightly funky farmhouse yeast. White wine skin/wine must. Straw. Heavily grassy. A bit lactic. I wouldn't call it sour. Floral hops are definitely present. Timid green apple. A kiss of lime. Maybe some white pepper, but nowhere near as much as I'd want in a good saison. Seems to have decent complexity. A pleasant aroma of mild to moderate strength. Not fantastic for the style, but within conventions. I'm looking forward to trying it.

No alcohol is detectable.

T: Green apple, lemon zest, lemongrass, lemon esters, floral hops, clean doughy/bready yeast, buried unevocative white pepper, a kiss of lime, brettanomyces-induced light funkiness, straw/hay, crackery malts, and timid white wine must/skin. Where in hell is the purported oak barrel? Nowhere to be found. Pilsner malts. Has a kiss of sourness, but by no means is it truly a sour saison. A biteen salty, actually. I'd like a bit more of a dried fruit presence. Good sweetness/bitterness balance.

It's complex enough, but the style demands more. It could also be more subtle. Well-balanced for what it is; I quite like it. Depth of flavour is below average for the style; saisons may have the most depth of any style out there and this beer doesn't bring enough to the table. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Overall, it's pretty good stuff - especially for an American-brewed saison.

Mf: Spritzy, smooth, wet, and crisp. A biteen acidic. Well-carbonated; bottle conditioning was an excellent choice. Has good body and thickness. Supports the flavour profile and complements it well, though it doesn't seem custom-tailored to it. Good presence on the palate. It's somewhat soft.

Not oily, harsh, boozy, hot, astringent, or gushed.

Dr: Quite drinkable, though if I had it blind I'd guess the ABV was actually higher than it is. It's pretty good stuff for an American saison, but it's not quite up to par with the best Belgian offerings. I'll easily kill this bottle alone. A drat solid offering from Jester King, but I doubt I'd get it again given that it's priced right around Fantome's price point (as an import, no less). If only they'd make the price a bit more reasonable, I'd indulge much more often. I'd recommend it to friends and trade partners. Well worth trying, and I'm glad it's a shelf beer here in Texas. But it's far from world-class; this style demands more.

Lowish B

I appreciate that this dude took the time to repeat everything on the bottle, and even describe the bottle and cap that this came in. I'm just not sure how this person thinks it's complex enough, but wants more, and also for more subtlety.

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 29, 2015

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Oh wow. That review was only missing what car he drove to pick it up, the mileage from store to home and what he wore at time of consumption.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

americanzero4128 posted:

Krustster is killing it with those reviews. I have nothing to top them, but this one seemed a bit excessive to me. Das Wunderkind from Jester King. In my mind I'm picturing this reviewer as Edward Nigma from the new Gotham tv show, nerdy socially awkward dude who doesn't understand why people don't want to know every thought he has.

I appreciate that this dude took the time to repeat everything on the bottle, and even describe the bottle and cap that this came in. I'm just not sure how this person tihnks it's complex enough, but wants more, and also for more subtlety.

I recognize that one as Kojevergas right off the bat. Realistically, his reviews are somewhat useful since they actually talk about the beer rather than listing 100 random adjectives, but it drives me nuts how he always throws in a line about where he's drinking it "in me gaff at low-altitude ______". And every single one says "no bubble show forms as I pour." What the hell is a bubble show, and why mention it if it never even happens?! :byodood:

Lol I just noticed his profile says: "Why do I frequently note the altitude of the region I have my beer in in my reviews? It's not pretension; altitude affects head retention."

krustster fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 29, 2015

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
From the goldmine of anime beer reviews - http://animebeers.com/tag/russian-imperial-stout/

quote:

The Czar from the Dictator Series by Avery Brewing is an 8.5% ABV Russian Imperial Stout.

Label:
Inhale the noble Hallertau hops, spicy and floral. Savor the flavors redolent of English toffee, rich mocha, sweet molasses, candied currants and a hint of anise. We highly recommend cellaring additional bottles, as the Czar will continue to mature and become denser and more complex with age.

==Introduction==

Available during the winter time, this is the first time I try this beer. I believe this is the last of the dictator series as I have tried the Kaiser, the Maharaja and now the Czar. I heard many great things about this beer so I am glad I was able to bring it here to the site. Come share with me the experience of this one as we explore another Russian Imperial Stout with the Czar himself. Cheers!

Aromas:
Dark chocolate, dark fruits raisins, currants, raspberry, blackberry, raisin bread pudding, molasses, smokey notes, anise, licorice, Belgian yeast bread notes, marzipan, brown sugar, pecan pie and candi sugar hints.

Flavors:
Dark Chocolate, milk chocolate, bakers chocolate, Roasted coffee, vanilla, caramel, earthy hop notes, smokey notes, dark fruit raisins, currants, blackberries, raspberry, plums, raisin bread pudding, molasses, brown sugar, marzipan, pecan notes, toffee, marzipan, licorice, anise, Belgian candi sugar and grapes.

Aftertaste:
Mild roastiness, dark fruit still peeking through, caramel, molasses, earthy notes and dark chocolate. No alcohol in the taste, creamy mouthfeel, moderate to sipping drinkability and pitch black body.

Overall:
A very good stout with some prominent and complex amount of flavors. Since it is complex, the roasty and slightly smokey flavors do not dominate the the palate and are instead given way to some dark fruits. This reminds me a little bit like the Stillwater Artisanal Folklore in a sense as it somewhat drinks like a Belgian Stout but still has some roasty bitterness to balance everything out. I highly recommend this one.

Anime Corner:
Original Character from Madou Koukaku was used in this pairing since I wanted something to fit the whole aspect of the Soviet colors of Red. The Czar wore some very fancy military and country leader attire so I figure a character that would best fit the description would best fit the bill. Even if it seems a bit old, it is similar in the attire.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Why is ... anime involved :staredog:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Anime character pairings :froggonk:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

WHY AM I ONLY NOW LEARNING OF THIS loving poo poo?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Gonna pair all of my beer posts with anime figures from this point onward.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

danbanana posted:

WHY AM I ONLY NOW LEARNING OF THIS loving poo poo?

Lmao I thought this was the regular beer thread and you were excited about BA Narwhal, and just happened to have an anime girl in the background.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

air- posted:

Gonna pair all of my beer posts with anime figures from this point onward.

this guy has the mega-busty anime babe thing on lock, so you're gonna have to change it up- maybe play the yoai angle?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
steampunkbeerreviews.com

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Swickles, please just send Slore Tactician all the beer. This is endlessly amazing. The most recent review contains these sentences:

quote:

Trust me, she gets you good as you try to take her on further and further. She will always bee the Dragon that gives the Dragon’s milk.

THAT IS SO AMAZING.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Swickles, please just send Slore Tactician all the beer. This is endlessly amazing. The most recent review contains these sentences:

THAT IS SO AMAZING.

while they're highly entertaining, these reviews are way more sad/hilarious than pretentious.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Lmao what a site. Why even have a rating system if everything is like 6/5.

Though I guess there are other questions I should be asking about this guy.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
My co-worker emailed it to me last night. I suppose I've got some questions for him now.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So far I vote the prize split between Slore Tactician and Krustster, because "DIABETIC FOOT ULCER PURULENCE".

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

crazyfish posted:

So far I vote the prize split between Slore Tactician and Krustster, because "DIABETIC FOOT ULCER PURULENCE".

Don't forget that the diabetic foot ulcer purulence is "oddly delicious" :gonk:

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

6/5 You win. This is amazing. Truly Master Pairings at work.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

can i post descriptions from brewery websites?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

can i post descriptions from brewery websites?

Hill Farmstead is low-hanging fruit, man. No deal.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

danbanana posted:

Hill Farmstead is low-hanging fruit, man. No deal.

naw, Adroit Theory:

"Tear off your suit-and-tie straightjacket; this soulful beer plunges you into the blackness we are normally numb to. Submerge yourself in the riches of an alternate life, outside the corporate fishbowl. Obscured in the depths of this Russian Imperial Stout you encounter a full-roasted body that provides food for dark contemplation. Hiding behind the toasted tones lurk intriguing wisps of complex flavors: aged woods, fresh fruits, earthy nuts. This malty exploration of the soul leaves you wondering: was the darkness in the bottle, or was it in me all along?"

"The world trembles with the beat: the marching steps of mechanical sheep in plastic stalls. Where are they going, and who is holding the remote control? Resentment simmers, revolution boils, and the rage is just waiting to explode. A Siberian bitterness and a tropical Citra heat create anarchy in a glass, a rabble-rousing brew that refuses to be mastered. This Molotov Cocktail demands a response, hinting at ashes and ruin as we stare down the commercial/industrial monster. Join the protest. Craft the revolution."

i mean, poo poo, i can link any single page from that site and it will never get less awful.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
That diabetic foot ulcer thing has to be a joke

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Holy poo poo, anime pairings can not be topped...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

That diabetic foot ulcer thing has to be a joke

I'm not so sure. More from the same guy(s):

quote:

Otherwise, notes of powdery pale grain and dry white wheatiness, herbal lemongrass and thyme, burnt table crackers, wood lacquer, sidewalk salt, light clove and coriander spice, faint citric and herbal hoppiness, fragrant morning dew, wet wood mold and moss, and pencil erasers filled in the remainder. The taste to follow showed puckering saltiness and lemon rind tartness, hollow raw cocoa and carob powder without any of the depth of roast or graininess, hot bronzy metallics, chemical phenols, green grassiness, souring wet wheat, toasty pale malt grit, funky and tart wild yeast and bacterial fermenters, and corny adjuncts. With warmth to near room temperature, the flavoring took on a much, much sweeter vibe, with white sugars and raw and herbal honey twinge. The body was extensively light, with carbonation bubbling away at a medium clip. Despite a decent slurp and smack, cream and froth around the mouth were entirely subdued, with the mouth formed in an expectant pucker. The mucosa was otherwise quickly depraved of any wet coating as an astringent dryness rode along this creeping and definitive puck. :confused:

quote:

. The aroma was wildly unique, boasting notes of hot licorice, burnt sunflower seeds, Magic Marker phenols, massive sunscreen chemical smear, soothing but equally as synthetic aloe gel, rich and sweet chocolate and coffee malt roastiness, marshmallow sugars, nutmeg, allspice, black pepper, sweetly soft ethanol, and fresh vanilla coffee creamer. The taste followed in an identical shell, with the most prominent note being that planty aloe stickiness. Otherwise, dissenting flavors included an earthen herbal hoppiness, dustier black malts, olivine brine, phenolic plastics and chemicals, gingerbread, and honey-dipped Graham crackers.

quote:

The aroma offered notes of heavy synthetic lemon cleaner and choppy citric hoppiness, harsh aluminum, light plastic phenols, soft black peppery booziness, honey, concrete, wood lacquer, partially toasted pale malts, amber grain brush, and adjuncty filler malt. The taste was much, much less robust, with teasing hints of a more bittered and grassy hop watered through with pale and corny, adjuncty malts, whole wheat and oatmeal crackers, simple but brassy ale yeastiness, straw, tart lemon rind, manila envelope, and plastic garbage bags.

quote:

...vanilla bean ice cream, devil’s food cake, freshly wiped dry-erase board, soy sauce, spicy booziness, balsa wood, and cinnamon lip gloss. The flavoring followed nicely in a purity of balance between sweet and bitter. Notes included harshly bittering raw cocoa flakes, more sugary sweet melty milk chocolates, richly roasted and charred chocolate and black malts, clean black hazelnut coffee flavoring, burnt caramel, kiwi skin, dried cherry fruitiness, plastic phenols, raw cereal graininess, mild shortbread cookie breadiness, buttercream icing, flannel, and earthen mineral.

There's well over a thousand of these reviews. And every one mentions "slurp, smack, cream and froth" and I have absolutely no idea what that is actually supposed to mean.

I'm still looking through these to find another favorable comparison to infected open wounds though. No luck so far.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

BEERchitect's review of DBH

"Maturity, power, grace. Savory, succulent, robust. These are the repetitive words that's going to be used as there are few flavor descriptors that can fully explain this transcendent ale. Its simply in a class all to its own.

The most gentle and rolling pour coats the glass like black ink. Leaving its indelible dye on the glass, a slow and simmering release of creme creeps to the surface looking much more like viscous espresso than of stout. With no meaningful retention or lace, the beer simply doesn't need it- its own imposing darkness and denseness speaks for itself.

Double Barrel Hunaphu's Imperial Stout releases a decadent aroma matrix that seduces the nose with dark chocolate, espresso, fudge, brownie batter, port wine, rum, bourbon, vanilla and caramel- speaking to only the high notes, the mere whiff brings about mouth-whetting and meat-sweats conviction.

Its taste is even more lavish as its silky and marshmallowy sweetness is laces with full bodied espresso, bittersweet chocolate, and all the fudgy, brownie, nutty and oaken richness that the nose saw so profound. Its vinous middle ground is of savory sherry, port wine, oaked merlot, spiced rum and bourbon-sweet vanilla, char and wood spice. Its long and villainous finish wraps around the mouth with a dessert-like coat that's never wavering.

Silky smooth and velvety throughout- its milkshake-like consistency gropes each and ever taste bud and slathers on its decadent richness. Even the most supple sip coats the mouth with its creamy cocoon and is slow to release- a definite sipper meant for the most profound of celebrations.

As its spicy warmth trails, notions of liqueur-laced choclate desserts come to mind yet this is an ale with utmost complexity and satisfaction sure to top every craft beer enthusiasts wish list"

this guys has written thousands of reviews, so he might have something equally bad in there, but no way am i going to keep reading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

this guys has written thousands of reviews, so he might have something equally bad in there, but no way am i going to keep reading them.

I'm amazed he didn't use the word "lush"

• Locked thread