Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Where were your grandparents when the Red Army liberated Auschwitz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
having guns pointed at them by russians

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One grandpa was at a B-26 base in north Africa or Italy and the other was on a destroyer somewhere in the Pacific. Merry Holocaustmas.

E: Grandpa #1 was a medic and grandpa #2 was a gunner of some sort.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 27, 2015

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

in canada i think

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
on their way to argentina

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sorry, I forgot where I was.

My grampy was killed at Auschwitz, he fell out of the guard tower

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I can't remember it because i wasn't there op

Baba Ganoush
Oct 12, 2014
Dinosaur Gum
My bubbe was sharing a barracks with Anne Frank

az
Dec 2, 2005

gulag

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
They were both juniors in highschool so I assume the were both learning the three R's while my grandpa was also learning to climb gym ropes and how to make bird houses using jigsaws. My grandma alternately was learning how to bake pretty cakes, a skill she never really fully acquired.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
One grandpa was flying dive bombers in the pacific front the other was killing krauts on the western front.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

One was pushing Tojo's poo poo in in the Aleutians, the other was doing the same but on a cruiser.

Was there something happening in Europe, too?

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

stdh.txt itt

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
the holocast happened today... 6 million jews died on this day.... ..what a horible tradegy #remberring #holocause

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Paternal grandfather was somewhere with the Navy in the Pacific, probably just scraping paint off of something or slapping it on something else. AFAIK he had no combat stories. Paternal step-grandfather was a master machinist building B-29s to clobber the Japs with. No idea where my maternal grandfather was. He was kind of a dick anyway, so who cares.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

In school.

Had a great grandparent in Struthof though.

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
When will people stop giving a poo poo?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only cool war story my grand father on the western front had was looting a StG 44 from a dead Panzergrenadier, he felt guilty about taking it so he also took the guys other belongings to give to the guys family.

The dudes family was pretty appreciative, and gave my grandpa a watch.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
One was bombing German cities, and the other was just about finished collecting enough memories of fighting the Japs in the Pacific to fuel a lifetime of PTSD. He said the best thing that happened to him while he was in the Marines was getting shot because they sent him home after that, and the war was over by the time he could walk again.

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

I'm so sorry that my grandad was too busy using a digger to scoop up rotting corpses from the mass graves in Belsen (true story he had nightmares about it til his dying day) I guess that's just not a good enough nazi death camp for you some people are never satisfied

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My grandpas never talked about the war. All I know comes from grandma-provided photos.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
That StG still loving works great to gotta love German engineering.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Maternal grandfather was flying P-51s in the Mediterranean theater. Interestingly, he strafed part of the city my paternal grandmother was living in at the time. They weren't fond of each other.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
he fell out a watch tower

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Grandma was stateside in the Marine Corps Women's Reserve, handling administrative work mostly. Granddad was a cook working as part of an Army support unit in Italy. On my dad's side, my grandad was 4F due to having bad knees and only one kidney, grandma was a housewife.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Grandpa on my dads side was retrofitting submarines to help deep dick japan even harder and on my mom's side he was like 15 years old so not doing poo poo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

collecting jap skulls

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

collecting jap skulls

The only cool thing my grand father on the pacific front looted was one of those kamikaze pilot bandanas from a guy who hosed up and hit his air craft carrier in the wrong spot.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Venom Snake posted:

The only cool thing my grand father on the pacific front looted was one of those kamikaze pilot bandanas from a guy who hosed up and hit his air craft carrier in the wrong spot.

i heard the drop rate on those are really low thats p. sweet

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

1gnoirents posted:

i heard the drop rate on those are really low thats p. sweet

A lot of infantry wore them as well so they are fairly common.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Darkman Fanpage posted:

he fell out a watch tower

It's not a funny joke. Especially when somebody made it on the first page, you dumb gently caress.

Neither of my grandfathers enlisted but my gruncle flew bombers over Italy.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

My grandpa parachuted in on D-Day. That's about all we know about his time in the war.

He did go to his grave thinking that the second he died he would be burning in hell for his actions during the war, so there's that.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I went to Auschwitz and it did not look like a nice place to be staying. :(

Also I have no idea where my grandpa was cause he didn't talk about it.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost
My great grandfather was a paratrooper who jumped behind enemy lines the night before d-day so he was probably shooting Germans and smoking reefer.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
My maternal grandfather crashed in a B-17 and screwed up his knees but he didn't get to go home, they sent him to an airbase in Africa to do control tower poo poo until it was attacked by Rommel's troops. The only war story he ever told me was about how he had to drink muddy puddle water wrung out from a cloth because the Nazis wrecked their watertower in the attack.

My paternal grandfather was probably in the mafia or something because he didn't go to war and never had a real job, but he always had money and nice cars. Also he was Italian and from New York and everybody in my family hated him.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxkFd3lHaM

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cthulu Carl posted:

One was pushing Tojo's poo poo in in the Aleutians, the other was doing the same but on a cruiser.

Was there something happening in Europe, too?

TWO concubines in one family??

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

grandma: being raped by Soviet soldiers
grandpa: being beaten by Soviet soldiers
both: forced out of their house at gunpoint and expected to "go back to germany" when they were ethnic germans who just happened to live in czechoslovakia :shrug:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Dynastocles posted:

grandma: being raped by Soviet soldiers
grandpa: being beaten by Soviet soldiers
both: forced out of their house at gunpoint and expected to "go back to germany" when they were ethnic germans who just happened to live in czechoslovakia :shrug:

this nazi apologia is disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

orchestrating it from behind the scenes with the other learned elders of zion, op

• Locked thread