Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*contemplates business plan for enterprise he is going to start until he is forty and gets fired, picks up bussing jobs until he can land a construction job at fifty-five*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
*cuts finger open, puts on rubber glove and a rubber band around it to keep the blood in*

*gets to work as early as possible to not get put into dishwasher duty*

*ends shift at 3AM, gets home at 4AM, falls asleep at 4:30AM, wakes up at 6:30AM to get to work at 8AM*

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
*is sincerely proud of a job genuinely well done with skill and determination*

*nobody else on Earth cares at all*

*irrelevant because every say is spent with fellow kitchen staff, sleeping, or high*

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*lists bilingual as skill on physical Target application*

*never called, frowns while frying egg over easy*

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

*doesn't know the waiters names*

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.

Danger Mahoney posted:

*contemplates business plan for enterprise he is going to start until he is forty and gets fired, picks up bussing jobs until he can land a construction job at fifty-five*

christ, this was what i was gonna post. super accurate. although i just met a swag motherfucker who literally paid his expensive rear end rent by his painting commissions and cooks for fun and extra cash. I wanna be that guy.

Lobotomy Bob
Jun 13, 2003

*has worked in every resteraunt within a 20 mile radius*

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.
*Shows up an hour late, leaves an hour early*
*I went to chef school Cooks don't do dishes*
*Gets fired*

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
*doesn't get breaks because he doesn't smoke*
*gets thanked by manager along with the rest of the skeleton crew left in this hellhole for working massive overtime to keep the restaurant running while they enough staff to run the kitchen*
*tips get taken away due to being 12 minutes late the next day*

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Lobotomy Bob posted:

*has lovely job to keep the heat off while making real money selling drugs to the waitstaff*

*Is the other coke dealer in the kitchen, Has a beer with you at the bar next door*

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Padical posted:

*doesn't get breaks because he doesn't smoke*
*gets thanked by manager along with the rest of the skeleton crew left in this hellhole for working massive overtime to keep the restaurant running while they enough staff to run the kitchen*
*tips get taken away due to being 12 minutes late the next day*

lol

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk I quit school for a while there and worked in a restaurant. started as a dishwasher, moved to prep cook, then line cook, then got a different job for way more money. that second job gave me full benefits and vacation time n poo poo it was great for a while and now I can cook and I didn't have to spend $50k on culinary school.

not a career path I really wanted to pursue though

but yeah just don't work in a lovely place I guess. gently caress the front house though. yeah count out your tips right in front of my station while complaining about how $250 isn't enough for one night.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

idk I quit school for a while there and worked in a restaurant. started as a dishwasher, moved to prep cook, then line cook, then got a different job for way more money. that second job gave me full benefits and vacation time n poo poo it was great for a while and now I can cook and I didn't have to spend $50k on culinary school.

but yeah just don't work in a lovely place I guess. gently caress the front house though. yeah count out your tips right in front of my station while complaining about how $250 isn't enough for one night.

waiters/waitresess are literal human scum

My Mother The Car
Feb 15, 2001
When does the hurting stop?

Agag posted:

*is sincerely proud of a job genuinely well done with skill and determination*

*nobody else on Earth cares at all*

*irrelevant because every say is spent with fellow kitchen staff, sleeping, or high*

This. A million times over.

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

No joke, about 25-30% of wait staff realize they aren't the center of the universe and split tips with cooks, they are cool and understand. The rest are so unaware it's unbelievable.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

*cuts finger open, puts on rubber glove and a rubber band around it to keep the blood in*

*gets to work as early as possible to not get put into dishwasher duty*

*ends shift at 3AM, gets home at 4AM, falls asleep at 4:30AM, wakes up at 6:30AM to get to work at 8AM*

i got a irl flashback reading this post you rear end in a top hat :(

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

social vegan posted:

the lines are ready to eat

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
uses an elaborate system of colored club frills that denote the doneness of each burger

finally finishes mopping, has to work door because bouncer didnt show

"excuse me miss we dont allow alcohol on the patio aftwr 11." *places remains of soco lime into tiny evidence bag and meticulously lables it

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tN2gpRcFKAQ

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

Vorik posted:

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6msh9BeIJA

that sauce sling

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Vorik posted:

cmon man they only make $2.13 an hour!!!

*makes dinner for almost entire waitstaff every single night*

*only tipped with a single stolen beer from the bar to feed his addiction*

thats an OG right there

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Its funny how cooking and food became kinda "hip" and now any shitheel at whatever level thinks because they are somewhere in the industry they are cool dudes.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rapman the Cook posted:

Its funny how cooking and food became kinda "hip" and now any shitheel at whatever level thinks because they are somewhere in the industry they are cool dudes.

hahagaha

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
*puts CHEF on their facebook profile*
*makes salads, fries chicken tenders and plates pre-made deserts*

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

"We're all about farm-to-table, organic, local cuisine done in a fresh style"

*sources all ingredients from sysco*

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

"We're all about farm-to-table, organic, local cuisine done in a fresh style"

*sources all ingredients from sysco*

just as accurate as the poo poo those dopes buy at the supermarket

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my friend is a line cook at a really high volume, nice local restaurant and everyone he works with is a complete degenerate. they all do heroin at work and one of them tried to give my friend a gun instead of some money for weed, one of them is literally retarded, and one is this realyl dour caveman type guy i met once who furrowed his brow deepyl at everything and couldn't really hold a conversation but was quite nice

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

plumper fuckbus posted:

just as accurate as the poo poo those dopes buy at the supermarket

i just find it hilarious that yuppies will pay twice the price for food that comes in a white plastic bucket

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I work as a line cook/Tempura cook at a Japanese Izakaya & Sushi Bar, and to be honest it's really the best job I can have in a college town because I hate retail. Plus I get a 4% tip share, and I get a pretty generous amount per hour. In an open air kitchen. It's clean as gently caress, and everyone gets along. The owner buys me shots when he's visiting from the other location and I get bought beer every Saturday. So, I dunno maybe you guys just have terrible line cook positions IDK.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
-entire phone contact list knows when breaks are, so they can roll through and buy drugs during said breaks-

-still keeps job to shut probation officer up-

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
*considers line cook as meaning he now has mastered cooking. Another notch on the bed post of truly being a "renaissance man"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

*wonders whether pantry is still part of the line*

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
*never washes pants and shoes have last years food on them still*

*rides bike to and from work when the sun is gone*

*listens to Jim Croces "I got a name" on repeat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
*stays at lovely job for three years and makes no progress on a personal or professional level*
*nearly has an anxiety attack before each shift*
*buying some weed from the grill dude is the only thing worth looking forward to on any given day*

• Locked thread