Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

JackssWastedLife posted:

Dude is super duper old, which makes any injury scary. Throw in the fact that he has had serious knee injuries in the past, and red flags are shooting up all over the place. That being said, if you have him as a "super cheap" keeper, then I think go for it. You saw his ceiling last year, and as a low cost keeper the risk is low as well.

Is it unlimited keepers? If not, who's the last guy you are bumping off to keep V-Mart. That's the only way to fully answer.

It's an auction league, and he would cost $11 to keep with a budget of $270 for 25 guys. I don't have a lot of keepers to fuss over, I had a bad strategy last season and am starting over. We can keep as many as we want, but they get a sliding scale raise. I was planning on keeping 3 with each of them getting a $3 raise - DeGrom for $6, Gattis for $10 and V-Mart for $11. I could keep Zunino for $9, Daniel Murphy for $9 or John Jay for $6 but I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have sano and syndergaard but I don't have enough keeper room.

Do I chuck Waino in round seven and keep one of them

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

JackssWastedLife posted:

Alrighty, I asked this at the end of last season, but I'm still hemming and hawing over my final keeper choice... and some of them have changed, so I'd like to get everyone's input.

ESPN standard roster size 10 Team League 6x6 with the standard categories plus OPS and K/BB. Auction Draft with 260 dollar budget

Select five keepers, with an inflation of $5 in price for keepers each year

Player Name (Cost to keep this year)

No Doubters:
Kluber ($8)
Rizzo ($13)
Stanton ($29)
Springer ($8)

Bubble:
J. Fernandez ($8)
Arenado ($8)
Kershaw ($34)
Betts ($8) [Homer Red Sox option]

With talk of Fernandez not being ready till June/July, I'm drifting away from him as my last keeper choice. I think I have a great shot to win this year, so I'm struggling with whether to keep Arenado as the rising young hitter with a long term great value price, or go all in on Kershaw--I can almost guarantee at auction he would go for higher than $34. Third base seems like it will be tough this year, so I'd go Arenado over Betts as the hitter even though I love me some Mookie.

Kershaw is a top 5 player, you need to keep him at $34. You want as many elite players as possible, and there are only so many to go around. Arenado is good but he's not elite. If you do want to keep him, I'd keep him over Kluber. Kluber just had 1 good year, chances are he will come down to earth a fair amount, and you can always find good pitching. And Fernandez is listed as a $6 pitcher on ESPN. You might be able to get him at a decent price without keeping him.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

kensei posted:

It's an auction league, and he would cost $11 to keep with a budget of $270 for 25 guys. I don't have a lot of keepers to fuss over, I had a bad strategy last season and am starting over. We can keep as many as we want, but they get a sliding scale raise. I was planning on keeping 3 with each of them getting a $3 raise - DeGrom for $6, Gattis for $10 and V-Mart for $11. I could keep Zunino for $9, Daniel Murphy for $9 or John Jay for $6 but I dunno.

With those options I'd definitely keep Victor. No other sexy choices otherwise.

Schweinhund posted:

Kershaw is a top 5 player, you need to keep him at $34. You want as many elite players as possible, and there are only so many to go around. Arenado is good but he's not elite. If you do want to keep him, I'd keep him over Kluber. Kluber just had 1 good year, chances are he will come down to earth a fair amount, and you can always find good pitching. And Fernandez is listed as a $6 pitcher on ESPN. You might be able to get him at a decent price without keeping him.

My Team name was KLUBOT 9000 last year, so I feel kinda obligated, haha. I think with inflation caused by cheap keepers that Kershaw will sell for a price WAY over $34, so I can't shake the draw of having him on my team. And I know someone said that Kershaw + Kluber might be too much pitching, but since it is an auction I could adjust my strategy accordingly and wait forever on pitching for deals.

KLUBOT IS AN EMOTIONLESS PITCHING MACHINE

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
12 team R,RBI,SB,OPS roto would you guys keep Joey Bats at 27$?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ChiTownEddie posted:

12 team R,RBI,SB,OPS roto would you guys keep Joey Bats at 27$?

Hell no.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

jabro posted:

Hell no.

In waffling hard. I know he will go for more during the draft...but last year may be his last great one...
I guess I really need to do my proj analysis first. My only other keeper is 3$ Cueto. Most people are keeping like 3 players :negative:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if bats stays healthy he'll be top 5 in ops, way up there in rbi, and probably one of the higher 3-spot guys in r given the lineup around him. what's your budget?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Woop, its (almost) time!

Trying to figure out my 5th and final keeper. I'm set with Stanton (2nd round), Scherzer (5th), Rizzo (6th) and Rendon (20th)(gently caress yes). Choosing between Robinson Cano (1st) and Sonny Gray (10th). What do you guys think? H2H, 6x6 (OPS + K/BB).

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Set of SP keeper questions:
5x5 H2H, 12 teams, Keepers go by A/B contract, so you only "keep" a guy for a year.

I stashed Harvey last season and will have him the 17th. I traded for Tanaka and can keep him in the 6th. Is that too early for him, as it would give me two questionable top SPs?

Pineda in the 13th (Y/N)?

Late round keeper (+20 rds): Kazmir over Paxton right?

^^Congrats on Rendon, I'm happy to have him in the 11th.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Vernacular posted:

Woop, its (almost) time!

Trying to figure out my 5th and final keeper. I'm set with Stanton (2nd round), Scherzer (5th), Rizzo (6th) and Rendon (20th)(gently caress yes). Choosing between Robinson Cano (1st) and Sonny Gray (10th). What do you guys think? H2H, 6x6 (OPS + K/BB).

For questions like this it helps to know who would likely available to draft instead of keeping Cano. I don't think Cano is a 1st rounder but if the top 20 hitters are all kept then you should keep him in the 1st.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

weas posted:

For questions like this it helps to know who would likely available to draft instead of keeping Cano. I don't think Cano is a 1st rounder but if the top 20 hitters are all kept then you should keep him in the 1st.

I get you. Hard to say yet because keepers haven't been declared, but most of the legit first rounders will likely be kept. The only other options might be people like Jose Bautista or Justin Upton, but I'm guessing even they will be kept. Leaning toward Cano.

Bud posted:

Set of SP keeper questions:
5x5 H2H, 12 teams, Keepers go by A/B contract, so you only "keep" a guy for a year.

I stashed Harvey last season and will have him the 17th. I traded for Tanaka and can keep him in the 6th. Is that too early for him, as it would give me two questionable top SPs?

Pineda in the 13th (Y/N)?

Late round keeper (+20 rds): Kazmir over Paxton right?

^^Congrats on Rendon, I'm happy to have him in the 11th.

Harvey in the 17th is such a negligible gamble that it shouldn't really preclude you from taking Tanaka as well. Having said that, Tanaka is a major question mark, and I'd be hesitant to use my 6th round pick on him.

Pineda in the 13th sounds good.

I would probably go with the upside of Paxton. Kazmir tailed off quite a bit in the second half last year. Neither of them are bad late-round keepers at all, though.

and thanks!

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 11, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hey if any of you nerds have a writing background and would be interested in doing fantasy blurbs/news updates about players on your favorite teams for FantasyPros, shoot me a PM. No pay but you get the draft kit and my playbook for free for something you're doing already. It's like 15 minutes a day to put up your quick thoughts on a handful of players.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 11, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mauricio Rubio's infographic about Yasmany Tomas' projected contributions:

I'm kind of interested in picking him up for cheap and trying to flip him if he hits some dingers early on. I'm guessing other people would have the same idea?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spoeank posted:

Hey if any of you nerds have a writing background and would be interested in doing fantasy blurbs/news updates about players on your favorite teams for FantasyPros, shoot me a PM. No pay but you get the draft kit and my playbook for free for something you're doing already. It's like 15 minutes a day to put up your quick thoughts on a handful of players.

Like every single day?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Not really, maybe once or twice a week if that's all you want to do (maybe every series) unless there's big news or a crazy performance. Pitchers would probably be daily though.

Every game would be so much noise as to be basically meaningless. You can only report someone going 1/3 with a single so many times.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Yet another post asking for keeper help! Standard 5x5 roto. I think the cap is something like $220 and we get to keep 6 guys. I think I've decided to definitely keep these five:

$17 Bryce Harper, Wsh OF
$21 Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 1B, DH
$26 Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP
$31 Yu Darvish, Tex SP
$31 Zack Greinke, LAD SP

And then have to decide which one of these ones becomes #6:

$5 Aaron Sanchez, Tor SP
$5 Joc Pederson, LAD OF
$5 Jon Singleton, Hou 1B
$5 Justin Turner, LAD 3B
$5 Jarrod Dyson, KC OF
$5 Joe Panik, SF 2B
$5 T.J. House, Cle SP
$6 Devin Mesoraco, Cin C
$11 Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP
$19 Addison Reed, Ari RP
$21 Alex Gordon, KC OF DTD
$21 Julio Teheran, Atl SP
$25 Ryan Zimmerman, Wsh 3B, OF
$31 Jose Reyes, Tor SS
$31 Dustin Pedroia, Bos 2B DTD
$36 Jacoby Ellsbury, NYY OF DTD
$56 Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B, DH DTD

Any help?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

DannoMack posted:

Yet another post asking for keeper help! Standard 5x5 roto. I think the cap is something like $220 and we get to keep 6 guys. I think I've decided to definitely keep these five:

$17 Bryce Harper, Wsh OF
$21 Edwin Encarnacion, Tor 1B, DH
$26 Clayton Kershaw, LAD SP
$31 Yu Darvish, Tex SP
$31 Zack Greinke, LAD SP

And then have to decide which one of these ones becomes #6:

$5 Aaron Sanchez, Tor SP
$5 Joc Pederson, LAD OF
$5 Jon Singleton, Hou 1B
$5 Justin Turner, LAD 3B
$5 Jarrod Dyson, KC OF
$5 Joe Panik, SF 2B
$5 T.J. House, Cle SP
$6 Devin Mesoraco, Cin C
$11 Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP
$19 Addison Reed, Ari RP
$21 Alex Gordon, KC OF DTD
$21 Julio Teheran, Atl SP
$25 Ryan Zimmerman, Wsh 3B, OF
$31 Jose Reyes, Tor SS
$31 Dustin Pedroia, Bos 2B DTD
$36 Jacoby Ellsbury, NYY OF DTD
$56 Miguel Cabrera, Det 1B, DH DTD

Any help?

Mesoraco for $6 seems like a bargain. and I'm not sure I'd keep Greinke at $31.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Spoeank posted:

I have, like, opinions and stuff.

E: ESPN drafts opened up for the year. I'm not too pleased about where my targeted players are ranked.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 12, 2015

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'd like to try to use some platoons this season since ottoneu gives me a deep bench. If I were to pick up Rickie Weeks, for example, for $1 how difficult is it to mine value out of platoon guys in most fantasy leagues? Like I said, ottoneu has a deep bench (40 player roster) so it's not like I'm bumping a solid utility player for him.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Moneyball posted:

I have, like, opinions and stuff.

E: ESPN drafts opened up for the year. I'm not too pleased about where my targeted players are ranked.

Go ahead and apply. If anyone is interested just go ahead and name drop me (Jeff Krisko) because apparently these guys put me in charge of the NL West.

http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb-news-desk-application/

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

tadashi posted:

I'd like to try to use some platoons this season since ottoneu gives me a deep bench. If I were to pick up Rickie Weeks, for example, for $1 how difficult is it to mine value out of platoon guys in most fantasy leagues? Like I said, ottoneu has a deep bench (40 player roster) so it's not like I'm bumping a solid utility player for him.

I'm playing Ottoneu for the first time this year and giving serious consideration to trying to platoon Anthony Gose and Rajai Davis in one of my OF slots. Seems like it would work pretty well but I don't have real experience doing it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The only thing that scares me about platoons is that there is more decision making involved than I like. You have 4 possibilities that can happen to player A and player B in your platoon(say player A hits lefties and B righties).

1. A vs. lefty, B vs. lefty >>>> start player A
2. A vs. righty, B vs. righty >>>> start player B
3. A vs. lefty, B vs. righty >>>>> ???
4. A vs. righty, B vs. lefty >>>>> ??? play bench player?

Inevitably what would happen to me is that in situations 3 and 4 I would make the wrong decision a few games in a row, miss out on some key HRs or RBIs or something, and lose all confidence in the platoon. With that big of a roster though I think you'd be silly not to try platooning, it's not like you are going to get 40 awesome players on your team. You might be able to get top talent at 1 OF spot and platoon the other OF spots or something.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

The only thing that scares me about platoons is that there is more decision making involved than I like. You have 4 possibilities that can happen to player A and player B in your platoon(say player A hits lefties and B righties).

1. A vs. lefty, B vs. lefty >>>> start player A
2. A vs. righty, B vs. righty >>>> start player B
3. A vs. lefty, B vs. righty >>>>> ???
4. A vs. righty, B vs. lefty >>>>> ??? play bench player?

Inevitably what would happen to me is that in situations 3 and 4 I would make the wrong decision a few games in a row, miss out on some key HRs or RBIs or something, and lose all confidence in the platoon. With that big of a roster though I think you'd be silly not to try platooning, it's not like you are going to get 40 awesome players on your team. You might be able to get top talent at 1 OF spot and platoon the other OF spots or something.

Thanks. I was looking for the pitfalls. I guess it makes sense to platoon guys on the same team, if possible, like Ackley and Weeks (just making this up) but I'd have to make sure I got the other half of the platoon.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

When people talk about platoons in fantasy it's usually owning a lefty who is an everyday player, like Howard or Dunn, and only playing them against righties. Owning bench players usually isn't worth it because their starts tend to rarely line up with how you'd want them to.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i highly recommend combining platoons and giving zero fucks about who's on your bench outside of a promising prospect or two, especially if your league permits infinite transactions. it allows you to treat the entire pool of free agents as your bench.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Spoeank posted:

Go ahead and apply. If anyone is interested just go ahead and name drop me (Jeff Krisko) because apparently these guys put me in charge of the NL West.

http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb-news-desk-application/

I applied and totally name dropped you. I live in Southern California though so it's expected I name drop in anything I do. Magic Johnson told me that once.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Where's the Awful Baseball thread? I can't even remember who our new commissioner was last season.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

coronaball posted:

Where's the Awful Baseball thread? I can't even remember who our new commissioner was last season.

I'm waiting for it to go up. Mainly because I haven't been paid yet.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Has anybody ever played in the Razzball community leagues. Curious how the participation is there. Has to be better than a regular Yahoo! league, right?

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
Is there any mock drafts or drafting simulators where you can enter keepers? Looking for something similar to football's fantasypros draftwizard or draftdominator app.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone looking to join a league, I just created a thread for HGH and Centaur Paintings.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Does C Santana have C elg in Fantrax? He had 10 games there last year.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Looking for some keeper help. I'm in a 12 team H2H points league where we can keep between 5 and 9 players for the same price they were drafted for last year, or $10 if they were picked up as a FA. Here are my potential keepers:

Adrian Gonzalez ($30)
George Springer ($13)
Gregory Polanco ($10)
Jon Singleton ($10)
Kolten Wong ($10)
Cole Hamels ($16)
Joe Kelly ($3)
Marcus Stroman ($10)
Anibal Sanchez ($16)
Wei-Yin Chen ($1)
Noah Syndergaard ($1)
Taijuan Walker ($4)

As much as I want to keep most of those $10 players I just can't justify spending that much for all of them. We get a $260 budget for the draft and I'll have $12 added to that from trades I made last year. As of right now I planning on keeping:

Gonzalez
Springer
Polanco
Hamels
Sanchez
Syndergaard
Walker

with Wong, Kelly, Stroman, and Singleton as maybes but probably not.

This would leave me with $182 to spend on the draft, which isn't as much as I'd like to have. My other option is making a trade or two before the draft, turning some more expensive players into cheaper ones. People are showing interest in Cole Hamels so I shouldn't have a problem trading him for a couple three cheap keepers. Best offer I've gotten so far is Hamels ($16) for Wily Peralta ($1), James Paxton ($1), and Jorge Soler ($10). I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep Hamels but I'm hoping I can get him to give up one of Kris Bryant ($10), Keven Gausman ($1), or Henderson Alvarez ($2) instead of Soler

Am I on the right line of thinking here or should I be looking to do something different?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is Adrian Gonzalez really good enough that $30 is worth keeping him at? 1B is generally pretty deep and this year will hardly be any different.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Jingleheimer posted:

Looking for some keeper help. I'm in a 12 team H2H points league where we can keep between 5 and 9 players for the same price they were drafted for last year, or $10 if they were picked up as a FA. Here are my potential keepers:

George Springer ($13)
Gregory Polanco ($10)
Jon Singleton ($10)
Kolten Wong ($10)
Cole Hamels ($16)
Joe Kelly ($3)
Marcus Stroman ($10)
Anibal Sanchez ($16)
Wei-Yin Chen ($1)
Noah Syndergaard ($1)
Taijuan Walker ($4)

As much as I want to keep most of those $10 players I just can't justify spending that much for all of them. We get a $260 budget for the draft and I'll have $12 added to that from trades I made last year. As of right now I planning on keeping:

Gonzalez
Springer
Polanco
Hamels
Sanchez
Syndergaard
Walker

with Wong, Kelly, Stroman, and Singleton as maybes but probably not.

This would leave me with $182 to spend on the draft, which isn't as much as I'd like to have. My other option is making a trade or two before the draft, turning some more expensive players into cheaper ones. People are showing interest in Cole Hamels so I shouldn't have a problem trading him for a couple three cheap keepers. Best offer I've gotten so far is Hamels ($16) for Wily Peralta ($1), James Paxton ($1), and Jorge Soler ($10). I'm pretty sure I'd rather keep Hamels but I'm hoping I can get him to give up one of Kris Bryant ($10), Keven Gausman ($1), or Henderson Alvarez ($2) instead of Soler

Am I on the right line of thinking here or should I be looking to do something different?
Your only must keep guys on that list are Hamels and Springer IMO. Can you post the rest of your team? The players you listed there do not make for a good team at all. Your highest ranked player is AGonz and he is a 4th rounder. Do you have anyone ranked higher and what is their price? And can you keep players indefinitely with no inflation?

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Another quick Q for the hive mind: I can keep Mesoraco in the 23rd for this year. Another team has Trout (rd 1) and Stanton (rd 2) and can only keep one. You'd dangle a year of free Mesoraco for either of these right?

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Is Adrian Gonzalez really good enough that $30 is worth keeping him at? 1B is generally pretty deep and this year will hardly be any different.

I agree, I would not be keeping A-gon at $30. Does depend on how deep your roster is, but I think he is headed for a fall this year.

quote:

Another quick Q for the hive mind: I can keep Mesoraco in the 23rd for this year. Another team has Trout (rd 1) and Stanton (rd 2) and can only keep one. You'd dangle a year of free Mesoraco for either of these right?

A thousand times yes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Bud posted:

In a heart beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
FBB is back!

If I understand correctly I am going to be able to keep Stanton for 35 and EE for 24 in The Nuclear League from here! Sign up, the commish sent out emails today or yesterday for people from last year.

• Locked thread