Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Honestly I have him pegged around 10/80. So upside I could stretch...but not that far.
I still have no plan of attack at 2B. At all.
E: Gasp. http://m.mlb.com/video/v41084983/bosmin-pedroia-drills-a-grand-slam-to-left-field/

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Pedroia's ISO was in sharp decline even before his hand/wrist injury. He'll get a bunch of runs & RBI because of that lineup though.

Just go Kolten Wong. He's hella cheap.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Armond Poopson posted:

Anybody looking for a secondary league?

Need two more ppl for a roto league. 6x6, standard with OPS and k/bb added and QS subbed in for wins. We're doing an auction draft next weekend. $20 entry via leaguesafe, and the champion gets a box of fancy beer sent to them as a trophy.

If you're interested, let me know.
I'm interested if you've still got a spot. How many teams? I've got a non-goon friend who'd likely be down as well if you need two.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

bawfuls posted:

I'm interested if you've still got a spot. How many teams? I've got a non-goon friend who'd likely be down as well if you need two.

Shoot me an email tristan.edward.abbott@gmail.com.

We're trying to fill a 10-team league but I'd be down to hit 12.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

what do we think of pedroia nowadays? 2b is a wasteland, so he's worth owning. but does he have 15hr/100r upside at this point?

Don't pay for MI unless you absolutely have to.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Armond Poopson posted:

Shoot me an email tristan.edward.abbott@gmail.com.

We're trying to fill a 10-team league but I'd be down to hit 12.
One more follow up, by "draft next weekend" you mean the weekend of the 14th, not 3 days from now, correct?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Armond Poopson posted:

Don't pay for MI unless you absolutely have to.
MI is one of the hardest areas to fill so I don't agree with that.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Short, second, third so hard to fill (in that order). I am dreading it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Rendon still has 2B eligibility in Yahoo, so he's probably going to be my go-to guy. Specially cause in one league I can keep him at the cost of a 20th round pick.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The fact that Jed Lowrie doesn't have 2nd base eligibility to start the season kind of sucks. He at least made for a decent MIF bench guy in the past.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Spoeank posted:

Just go Kolten Wong. He's hella cheap.

seconded. Wong is gonna have a breakout season IMO.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Rand alPaul posted:

Short, second, third so hard to fill (in that order). I am dreading it.

:agreed:

In LABR the Baseball Prospectus team took Tulo and Desmond at the 1/2 wheel to fill MI and destroy the SS market in the process. That's such a risky drat proposition.

Though I would say SS, 2B, a semi-big dropoff in difficulty, then 3B. 3B has a lot more guys I would be okay owning.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Spoeank posted:

:agreed:

In LABR the Baseball Prospectus team took Tulo and Desmond at the 1/2 wheel to fill MI and destroy the SS market in the process. That's such a risky drat proposition.

Though I would say SS, 2B, a semi-big dropoff in difficulty, then 3B. 3B has a lot more guys I would be okay owning.

I remember hearing that, and was like drat! Such a ballsy, hilariously cool move in a pro draft.
Oh poo poo my draft is tomorrow. Time to figure out exactly who is kept...

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

bawfuls posted:

One more follow up, by "draft next weekend" you mean the weekend of the 14th, not 3 days from now, correct?

Yep.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I joined a 20 team league before realizing they split the outfield into LF, CF, RF, OF. What in the gently caress? What rear end in a top hat came up with this idea in a 20 team league?

That being said, it's always surprising how bad LF is if you remove players eligible at the other 2 positions.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Keeper question from a goon league. Standard 5x5 plus BB (for hitters) and Holds. Keep 3, no draft picks or auction $ involved, just choose the best 3 players.

Kershaw
Jose Abreu
Tulo
Cueto
Strasburg
Ellsbury

That's how I rank the top dudes on my team. Anyone want to tell me why I'm dumb and wrong?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Some dude just tried to sell me on a Cole Hamels for Matt Harvey and Jung Ho Kang trade by saying that "Hamels has looked great this spring."

It's like people don't even try to make sense sometimes. It's not like it's an offensive offer or anything, but his reasoning is pretty hilarious.

edit: I just noticed that the "some dude" is actually the commissioner, which makes it even better.

Senf fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 6, 2015

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Senf posted:

Some dude just tried to sell me on a Cole Hamels for Matt Harvey and Jung Ho Kang trade by saying that "Hamels has looked great this spring."

It's like people don't even try to make sense sometimes. It's not like it's an offensive offer or anything, but his reasoning is pretty hilarious.

Reply with "And Harvey's 98mph fastball looks great this spring too!"
I hope the hype on Kang hasn't reached my league yet. I'd like to grab him for 1$ and see what happens.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I'd rather have Hamels than Harvey in redraft.

weas fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 6, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Keeper question from a goon league. Standard 5x5 plus BB (for hitters) and Holds. Keep 3, no draft picks or auction $ involved, just choose the best 3 players.

Kershaw
Jose Abreu
Tulo
Cueto
Strasburg
Ellsbury

That's how I rank the top dudes on my team. Anyone want to tell me why I'm dumb and wrong?

Depends on how comfortable you are with spinning the Tulo injury wheel I guess.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The Pussy Boss posted:

Kershaw
Jose Abreu
Tulo
Cueto
Strasburg
Ellsbury

i would try to trade tulo, cueto, strasburg, or ellsbury for a sturdier hitter. maybe you can land puig with one of them?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Amazing things happen when you punt AVG. I realize those of you in roto leagues can't really get away with it, but there are some bargains to be had.

Regarding MI, I'm specifically targeting Brian Dozier and Jimmy Rollins for their production vs draft position.

Dozier's projections without AVG are almost identical to Anthony Rendon's and you can get him in the 7th or 8th round, and Rollins is about 75% of what Ian Desmond produces, and is taken at least round 14 or 15

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

i would try to trade tulo, cueto, strasburg, or ellsbury for a sturdier hitter. maybe you can land puig with one of them?

Please don't trade Tulo for Puig.

Edit: actually that depends on the long-term rules of the league

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Please don't trade Tulo for Puig.

why?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Because Tulo is a better hitter than Puig at a position that's mostly garbage. If it's roto, Tulo + whatever replacement level SS you get off the wire for 45 games is still more useful than Puig.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

Because Tulo is a better hitter than Puig at a position that's mostly garbage. If it's roto, Tulo + whatever replacement level SS you get off the wire for 45 games is still more useful than Puig.

It's H2H and the keeper rules are unlimited if it's the HGH and Centaurs league (which going by what he posted I assume it is)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Have any of y'all ever played in an auction league with severely unbalanced draft budgets? I got into my first auction league this year through a buddy of mine. It's a 12-team keeper league (1 of each offensive position, 2 UT, 5 SP, 5 RP, 5 bench), h2h with ottoneu Fangraphs points scoring. The big wrench in everything: in addition to trading draft dollars, teams save unspent draft cash from season to season. So we have three teams with completely disproportionate draft budgets: the top 4 budgets go $435, $413, $358, and then me at $285. I think my keepers are pretty good and I don't want to tank my first season anyway, so any advice you folks have would be appreciated. Hopefully after the massacre this draft becomes, we institute some kind of rules against this scenario.

Also, here's my keeper situation if y'all want to tell me where I've already ruined everything. I bought Sanchez for a draft dollar and picked up Seager/Peralta/McGee for a $23 Freddie Freeman, then paid $3 for JD Martinez at the keeper deadline after McGee's surgery (and Arizona not freeing up playing time for D Peralta) made me nervous.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Are you keeping those guys in green, because oh my, don't keep Tim Hudson. He's 40 years old. Your keepers are actually not good at all. You have Tulo and not much else.

Definitely keep:
tulo
seager
jd martinez

Probably definitely keep
chapman
samardzia
kimbrel
yadier
gonzalez

those $1 pitchers are just that, $1 pitchers. You can find ones just like them for $1 every year, so why use a keeper slot on them.

If there are 10 keepers, all the best players are going to be kept. If you don't keep guys like Kimbrel/Agonz/Chapman, they are going to be amongst the best players available and they'll go for a lot more than your keeper price. If there are any top players available you're going to want to spend a lot of money on them, like $20 more than the list price for first and second rounders. Or try to trade for some if you can get them below that price.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 7, 2015

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Schweinhund posted:

Are you keeping those guys in green, because oh my, don't keep Tim Hudson. He's 40 years old. Your keepers are actually not good at all. You have Tulo and not much else.

Definitely keep:
tulo
seager
jd martinez

Probably definitely keep
chapman
samardzia
kimbrel
yadier
gonzalez

those $1 pitchers are just that, $1 pitchers. You can find ones just like them for $1 every year, so why use a keeper slot on them.

If there are 10 keepers, all the best players are going to be kept. If you don't keep guys like Kimbrel/Agonz/Chapman, they are going to be amongst the best players available and they'll go for a lot more than your keeper price. If there are any top players available you're going to want to spend a lot of money on them, like $20 more than the list price for first and second rounders. Or try to trade for some if you can get them below that price.

I don't think those two RPs (especially Kimbrel) are keepable at all, since they were the two most expensive RPs in the entire league and arguably neither is top 5 at the position (since they aren't actually SPs coasting on RP eligibility from last season). Maybe salary inflation will change the RP market big-time this year, but even then I think Jerome Williams might be the guy I should've gambled on.

How do you have Adrian Gonzalez projected? I've got him pegged for a .345 wOBA over 650 PA, which makes him something like the 10th-best 1B. Is he higher than that on your board?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I don't like AGonz much, it's just that that's all you have so I'd keep him. Look at the top ranked players in fantasy: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/page/mlbdk2k15_ranks_300/2015-fantasy-baseball-player-roto-rankings-top-300 Your top players are Tulo (14) and AGonz (50). The teams with a lot of players at the top of that list are going to win. Not teams who save money by keeping Scott Kazmir for $1.

If your league's keepers are in can you show a list of the top players available for the draft?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Make sure you don't draft Darvish in a redraft league!
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/12438332/yu-darvish-texas-rangers-sprained-elbow-ligament-mulling-tommy-john-surgery

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Schweinhund posted:

I don't like AGonz much, it's just that that's all you have so I'd keep him. Look at the top ranked players in fantasy: http://espn.go.com/fantasy/baseball/story/_/page/mlbdk2k15_ranks_300/2015-fantasy-baseball-player-roto-rankings-top-300 Your top players are Tulo (14) and AGonz (50). The teams with a lot of players at the top of that list are going to win. Not teams who save money by keeping Scott Kazmir for $1.

If your league's keepers are in can you show a list of the top players available for the draft?

Your link is to rankings for 5x5 roto. Switch to points (which is still probably crediting him for RBI and whatnot) and Gonzalez is down to 76th.

Mostly going off the CBS projections since I've only projected my players, the other keepers, and a few select other guys so far:

C: Lucroy (who was inexplicably not kept for $10), Sal Perez, d'Arnaud, Molina, really a whole lot of guys but it's hard to get excited about any C besides Lucroy
1B: Votto, Carlos Santana, Gonzalez, Fielder, Pujols, Duda
2B: Zobrist, Pedroia, Walker, Murphy, similar situation with C
3B: Santana, Zimmerman, Longoria, Wright, Sandoval
SS: Reyes, Zobrist
LF: Harper, Gordon, Melky, Zimmerman
CF: Adam Jones, Ellsbury, Ozuna, Choo, Span
RF: Heyward, Braun, Calhoun, Ozuna, Werth, Bruce; also prospecty guys like Tomas, Arcia, Souza
SP: Hamels, Lee, Lynn, Iwakuma, Verlander (these are the only guys it projects above Kazmir, which: lol), Anibal Sanchez, Wheeler, Garrett Richards, Latos, etc. 50 starters were kept and I expect another 50+ drafted
RP: Graveman, Carlos Martinez, Betances, Petit, Chapman, Kimbrel, Jerome Williams, Melancon; everyone but Sanchez, Carrasco, Holland, D Robertson, and Jansen are on the market

In retrospect, I misjudged the 3B market pretty bad (I expected Sandoval & Zimmerman to be kept and thought Santana was still eligible at C) and could probably replace Seager pretty easily (though $5 is still a nice price). But Peralta was perfect for me: a backup for Tulo at minimum keeper cost who won't drag me down in the UT spot while they're both healthy. Anyway, obviously Votto is the only really good 1B left, and it's a position that will get mined for UTs, but I have a hard time seeing Santana/Gonzalez/Fielder/Pujols/Duda ALL going above $20 and they're all in the same tier to me.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 7, 2015

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Keepers in my league were set a week ago. Yesterday me and a friend in the league were talking about how dumb it was that one of the guys kept Darvish for $40 and now this happens. Poor guy is probably going through the stages of grief right now.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Jingleheimer posted:

Keepers in my league were set a week ago. Yesterday me and a friend in the league were talking about how dumb it was that one of the guys kept Darvish for $40 and now this happens. Poor guy is probably going through the stages of grief right now.

Just like the Rangers, he can kiss his season goodbye.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Jingleheimer posted:

One of the aforementioned huge-money teams in my league has him eating $24, I prefer to think of it as karma. :v:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Mornacale posted:

In retrospect, I misjudged the 3B market pretty bad (I expected Sandoval & Zimmerman to be kept and thought Santana was still eligible at C) and could probably replace Seager pretty easily (though $5 is still a nice price). But Peralta was perfect for me: a backup for Tulo at minimum keeper cost who won't drag me down in the UT spot while they're both healthy. Anyway, obviously Votto is the only really good 1B left, and it's a position that will get mined for UTs, but I have a hard time seeing Santana/Gonzalez/Fielder/Pujols/Duda ALL going above $20 and they're all in the same tier to me.

ultimately your problem is you have 1 elite player: Tulo and even he is like 10th overall, so most teams are going to have a player better than him and have an edge over him even. You probably need both Jones and Votto just to even stay out of last place and you're competing with 11 other guys and $400 payrolls.for those players.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Schweinhund posted:

ultimately your problem is you have 1 elite player: Tulo and even he is like 10th overall, so most teams are going to have a player better than him and have an edge over him even. You probably need both Jones and Votto just to even stay out of last place and you're competing with 11 other guys and $400 payrolls.for those players.

Matt Holliday is elite at his position and both Samardzija and Sanchez have a shot, but you're right that I'm making do with more second- and third-tier guys. The team I inherited was the one team in the league that was completely terrible but not obviously tanking to game the draft system. Hence asking about auction strategy w/r/t those big budgets so I can try to actually pick up some more high-tier guys.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Matt Holliday is elite at his position and both Samardzija and Sanchez have a shot, but you're right that I'm making do with more second- and third-tier guys. The team I inherited was the one team in the league that was completely terrible but not obviously tanking to game the draft system. Hence asking about auction strategy w/r/t those big budgets so I can try to actually pick up some more high-tier guys.

Holliday isn't elite for an OF, not anymore. He's consistent, but 20-25hr/90rbi is not elite. And his average has been dropping the last few years.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Matt Holliday is elite if this is 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Safe to say Matt Harvey's stock has skyrocketed.... I just tried trading for him, sent this guy multiple reasonable offers.

he counters with:

get: Matt Harvey
give: Troy Tulowitzki

douchebag cocksucker.

• Locked thread