Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

bendydick sherlock got in trouble for calling people "coloured"

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/jan/26/benedict-cumberbatch-apologises-after-calling-black-actors-coloured

benadicto cumbatch posted:

I’m devastated to have caused offence by using this outmoded terminology. I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.

A spokesperson for the anti-racism charity Show Racism the Red Card posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch has highlighted a very important issue within the entertainment industry and within society. In doing so, he has also inadvertently highlighted the issue of appropriate terminology and the evolution of language.

i didn't know coloured people was a bad term. i'm worried that i'm not evolving with language.

i made this thread so you could please tell me other evolutionarily eradicated words, outside of the obvious ones, i could lose my oscar nominations over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bendadick cabbagepatch

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i called a friend sly once, he is not jewish but still

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My face when dat language evolved, tho.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Do middle eastern and latino people count as colored people as well, or do they only fall under the umbrella phrase "people of color"?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
GAWD! It's "People of Color" now! Why is this confusing??

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i got in trouble for saying "BLACK PAINT" the other day, can you beleive it?

i had to rephrase and say "AFRICAN AMERICAN, PLEASE PAINT"

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
i don't get why this guy is so popular? he was really crap as khan

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
i'm coloured a light pinkish hue

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Millions of women still want his Dillz.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
We have evolved, we have become gods. Bae is here to stay. Deal w/ it.

Bae bae bae bae

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's hilarious is to watch super sensitive liberals in America try to describe Black people who aren't Americans.

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

some, more now than ever

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

More like gherkin.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
dude looks like an alien wearing human skin

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
this is made even funnier by the fact that the whole cumberbatch family fortune was made with slave plantations

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Medieval Medic posted:

We have evolved, we have become gods. Bae is here to stay. Deal w/ it.

Bae bae bae bae

I hope you get hit by a poo poo truck.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Can white people use the word "friend of the family" now?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

down by the bae

where the watermelons grow

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Apthous posted:

Can white people use the word "friend of the family" now?
i really dont see why not

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

numberoneposter posted:

i really dont see why not

Finally my rap career can really take off.

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

down by the bae

where the watermelons grow

sittin on the dock w/ my bae

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

race queer vocabulary privilege

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah you should totally use that term in your everyday life as much as you can

or you can just spam it on the internet and feel edgy and poo poo

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i still don't actually get it but I think people are offended that there's a word for collective non-whites that isn't "non-white"

also

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

dude looks like an alien wearing human skin

this but if that alien was really frustrated all the time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

his hair is always a loving mess too

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I would be confused if I was referring to a black person outside of America in a formal situation and I couldn't call them "African American". I would probably just slip up and use the n word.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

when he smiles he looks like a character model from an n64 game

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

What's hilarious is to watch super sensitive liberals in America try to describe Black people who aren't Americans.

Zero spectroscopy people.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

social vegan posted:

i still don't actually get it but I think people are offended that there's a word for collective non-whites that isn't "non-white"

no you're either misunderstanding or being obtuse. it's the same as you cant call a grown black man boy without it having negative connotations. also you can't really say what ppl have the right to be offended about. if black ppl say they're offended by coloured, we should accept that and be aware that by using that term, we might offend someone. you don't have to give a poo poo about offending ppl, but you should be aware when and if you're doing so. otherwise you're just ignorant.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Heyo, friendo.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i am offended by your posting

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Dyna Soar posted:

no you're either misunderstanding or being obtuse. it's the same as you cant call a grown black man boy without it having negative connotations.

I would say that calling a black person "boy" is literally the worst thing you can possibly say, even worse than the n word or anything else you could come up with. Calling a black person "boy" is only slightly less worse than literally lynching them.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
dickface cumberbatch made a legit mistake since he didn't actually want to offend black ppl yet used a loaded term to describe them. he realised his mistake and admitted his ignorance.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

I remember when they were saying "America imprisons more African-Americans now than Apartheid South Africa did" and I'm like "yeah no poo poo there's like hardly no African-Americans over there they're all African-Africans." Also America puts a lot of people behind bars period. Number one in prisoners USA USA.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

dickface cumberbatch made a legit mistake since he didn't actually want to offend black ppl yet used a loaded term while describing them. he realised his mistake and admitted his ignorance.

thank u for summarizing the story now u'll notice i admitted my ignorance in op so please help

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

look at that gross mop of curly pubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Apthous posted:

I would say that calling a black person "boy" is literally the worst thing you can possibly say, even worse than the n word or anything else you could come up with. Calling a black person "boy" is only slightly less worse than literally lynching them.

It's so racist you can call a white person "boy" and they'll get mad because just for a brief moment they can sort of understand racism and they don't like it.

• Locked thread