Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Terry Francona posted:

I got a doctors appt thursday just to get chantix i hope that poo poo works.

I had that, it turns off the part of your brain that wants to have a cig by putting it into 'nope can't be bothered' mode, however because the brain is so complex it can put many other areas of your brain into the same mode, which it did for me and I turned into a hobo basically, smoke free but an idle bum

No one else noticed but I did, I hated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

limeincoke posted:

See I don't get this. It's extremely easy for me to go out, and if my friends are having cigarettes, to have a couple with them. Afterwards I feel nothing. No cravings or anything. It's just something that happened while having a conversation.

I think the key is to not think of yourself as a smoker. That's just a stigma that makes it seem like some incurable disorder. Just think of smoking as something you occasionally do when in appropriate company.

It's like, I hike mountains a couple times a year when I'm on vacation. That doesn't make me a mountain climber. It just makes me someone who hiked a mountain a couple times.

gently caress da Mods posted:

and your friends see you as that human being who always bums cigs from them

There's this. Plus, what if you end up having, like, six cigarettes over the course of a long night? Or you're out for multiple days and everyone's out of smokes so you have to pick up the slack? Or you just hosed your ex girlfriend on her kitchen floor and she's getting smokes out of her purse

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

gently caress da Mods posted:

you deserved that for making GBS threads up my thread with ur addict's illogic

Ha ok. Good luck on quitting. It really does save a poo poo ton of money in the long run.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

limeincoke posted:

Not really that big of a deal. No one gets upset about giving away 1 cigarette once every two months.

When it's always the same dude taking it believe me they do.
A cigarette to a smoker is important, it is the drug they are addicted to and thinking that people think 'hey, it's Bob again, bumming cigs, what a guy!' is a really misplaced idea, you are the fucker that appears from the darkness to take away their drug, to them, not to me, I don't know you I am sure you are a nice guy

pant pant
Nov 5, 2013

How long have you been smoking? What made you decide to stop?

Also this thread is making me anxious, I need a cig. :clint:

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

peter gabriel posted:

When it's always the same dude taking it believe me they do.
A cigarette to a smoker is important, it is the drug they are addicted to and thinking that people think 'hey, it's Bob again, bumming cigs, what a guy!' is a really misplaced idea, you are the fucker that appears from the darkness to take away their drug, to them, not to me, I don't know you I am sure you are a nice guy

Is that really the case for some people? Man that's weird. When I smoked a pack a day I never really had a problem with sharing, and definitely didn't notice if someone was bumming a lot. I mean most of the time I would just offer 1 to someone so that I didn't have to smoke alone.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I smoked a pack a day for 3+ years. Glad I quit young. loving Newports I can't even believe it. I was the guy that would smoke 2 in one 15m work break.

The clincher for me was starting to date a girl that loathed smoking. If I smoked she'd know it, and she's my wife now so that all worked out pretty good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

limeincoke posted:

Is that really the case for some people? Man that's weird. When I smoked a pack a day I never really had a problem with sharing, and definitely didn't notice if someone was bumming a lot. I mean most of the time I would just offer 1 to someone so that I didn't have to smoke alone.

Yeah man I used to get mega pissed with a buddy of mine, but kept it quiet of course. He was my best man at my wedding so a real long term friend who I love and think of as a brother but in social occasions where he'd turn up and do the 'gimme a cig' hand gesture I wanted to murder the blagging loving bastard

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
A warning about vaping: I dunno about you but to me it gives me a more constant, but less strong, craving throughout the day. I don't fiend for a smoke as badly as I did with regular cigarettes, but I find myself puffing on the e-cig somewhat habitually. Before if I had a night where I smoked and then i stopped, I'd have strong cravings for a day and then they'd go away.

Vaping is ideal to avoid a relapse if you're about to have one, but nothing really beats a real cigarette.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've had one in the last month off a pack a day habit. I'm a big gay vaper but it's saved me many dollars.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

limeincoke posted:

See I don't get this. It's extremely easy for me to go out, and if my friends are having cigarettes, to have a couple with them. Afterwards I feel nothing. No cravings or anything. It's just something that happened while having a conversation.

I think the key is to not think of yourself as a smoker. That's just a stigma that makes it seem like some incurable disorder. Just think of smoking as something you occasionally do when in appropriate company.

It's like, I hike mountains a couple times a year when I'm on vacation. That doesn't make me a mountain climber. It just makes me someone who hiked a mountain a couple times.

I KNOW RIGHT

"Addiction" "problems" are all in your "mind"

"lol"

"human being"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

^^ had 3 cigarettes since 1 January, after ~25 years of regular smoking ^^

^^ is also pretty gay and dumb ^^

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
the key is to not think of yourself as a smoker

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

*takes massive bong rip*

So like, what if cigarettes aren't actually addictive, and the tobacco companies are just saying that to make you think you are addicted.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's big business striking again man

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BossRighteous posted:

*takes massive bong rip*

So like, what if cigarettes aren't actually addictive, and the tobacco companies are just saying that to make you think you are addicted.

For sure there's a major component to cigarette addiction that is purely mental, but imo that's much harder to break than the strictly chemical part.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I'm still hitting my bong, hell Ya, that poo poo ain't bad 4 u

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Smoke weed erryday.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

For sure there's a major component to cigarette addiction that is purely mental, but imo that's much harder to break than the strictly chemical part.

Agreed. Forever is a long time and most people that quit are to concerned about the next few hours to sit and ponder the true gravity of never smoking again in their life.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I quit in February last year. I had smoked for about 33 years.
My reason for quitting was to improve my health. But I also quit because gently caress you, tobacco companies and gently caress you, smoking cessation product companies. And gently caress you too probably, generic people and innocent bystanders.
I did it all by myself with no support or help from anyone, although I was inspired by a couple of posts by special snowflakes in the YLLS 'Protein and pills etc' thread.
And it has been easy as gently caress (you).

tl;dr: Harder, firmer erections.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

pant pant posted:

How long have you been smoking? What made you decide to stop?

Also this thread is making me anxious, I need a cig. :clint:

9 years.

Stopped Cuz I ran out of cigs and I was like I could be a lil cig smokin homo an run back to big tobaccos tit, but I decided nah I wanna live better n not run out o breath when I'm bull doggin my bitches

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I basically quit because I decided I want to gently caress more and better.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fag free for 4yrs 4 months.

Good luck OP.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

How do you do the first few days OP? I just go crazy and ragey and get headaches and poo poo

I quit weed a few weeks ago and it was much easier.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I basically quit because I decided I want to gently caress more and better.

yo this is inspiring stuff right here

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

I quit weed a few weeks ago and it was much easier.

Why

can I have your remaining weed

odincode
Aug 12, 2010

People know what they do; frequently they know why they do what they do; but what they don't know is what what they do does.
poo poo is hard. I'm from montana, I used to chew a can of cope every 1-2 days, quit, started smoking from friendly exposure, got up to a pack a day, quit about three months ago, still occasionally smoke one on lovely days with a friend, love every single one. but gently caress, I can do like double distance on my mountain hikes from I used to be able to, so falters and all I love quitting, I'm gonna keep pushing away until i don't want that occasional cig. keep it up op, strong work.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

peter gabriel posted:

I had that, it turns off the part of your brain that wants to have a cig by putting it into 'nope can't be bothered' mode, however because the brain is so complex it can put many other areas of your brain into the same mode, which it did for me and I turned into a hobo basically, smoke free but an idle bum

No one else noticed but I did, I hated it

Tried that in 2006, went absolutely bat poo poo for a week, and I still smoked.

I bought a pack recently but I was doing real good for about 6 months.

Blarg.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Why

can I have your remaining weed

i was smoking like an ounce and a quarter a week and couldn't eat or sleep without it

gonna go back to it in a bit but only smoke a Q a week, its nice to be able to eat again I gotta say

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

This ad kinda makes me want to start, drat you guys live in a cool rear end world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcBUf2Bzbs

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Fonzarelli posted:

How do you do the first few days OP? I just go crazy and ragey and get headaches and poo poo

do you have a smokin ritual, like every hour or so you have to go outside and have a smoke? breaking that need to just go outside for 5-10 minutes every now and then was what did it for me. vaping helps with that because then you dont need to go outside for your nic fix and after a while you just forget to use it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah thats good advice because honestly the five minute reprieve from the boredom of life is pretty much the best thing about cigarettes

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Lol I smoke a pack a week wahhhhh

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

Yeah thats good advice because honestly the five minute reprieve from the boredom of life is pretty much the best thing about cigarettes

If you write, it's great because you can kind of pace back and forth and have nothing to do but think about what you want to happen in the next chapter.

That's how stephen king made his money

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm legit thinking of buying some valium from a friend so i don't really give a gently caress for those first few days

i'm not sure if its a good life choice though

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
If you're a smoker you either own it and are like yeah this is bad but I like it and do it anyways or you're a weak willed bitch. There's no in between.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

i'm legit thinking of buying some valium from a friend so i don't really give a gently caress for those first few days

i'm not sure if its a good life choice though

I found it pretty easy to not want to smoke if I got mad high for that first week

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
just smoke a lot more weed than normal and you'll make it buddy!

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
If you can swing it and really want to quit smoking the trick is to quit drinking completely for 3-4 months. Otherwise you're apt to have a few beers and be right back where you started with the smokes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
take a puff bro. just one puff isn't going to ruin it. nice job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Good work man, I think it's been about a year since I quit.

The first 3 weeks are the hardest, I was angry as gently caress and got headaches but got there in the end.

Don't give in, you're smarter and stronger than a stupid drug like nicotene.

• Locked thread