Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which is better
Con Air
goku
The Rock
white devils
View Results

• Locked thread
Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
Both movies are great but I really like the song Hans Zimmer did for The Rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wppq0da1Bjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

china bot posted:

con air, John Cusack is a cop

He plays a better hit man IMO.

And Malkovich.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
The Rock, because all the super amazing special forces musclebros get caught in a shower, shout ineffectually at each other then die pointlessly. A scene that was greatly missed in Transformers.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I think Con Air is the more entertaining movie but The Rock is technically better as a film, I guess. Also The Rock gave us those sweet Call of Duty 4 moments so that's cool I guess

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I will not give that order!!!!!!!!!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

-a line recited by a man who could still get laid by virtually any woman he pleases at any time

look at the jelly guy

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Its Face /Off, op

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the rock.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Tautologicus posted:

RRRAH RAGH RAH DAH ORDER!!!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

this guy knows what's up

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

fyodor posted:

rewatch the rock it doesnt hold up at all

wtf

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that opinion is just so insanely wrong, con air is a totally enjoyable but largely forgettable movie, the rock is genre-redefining

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

that opinion is just so insanely wrong, con air is a totally enjoyable but largely forgettable movie, the rock is genre-redefining

agreed

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

"serious" with massive airquotes

nic cage's badass one liner involves rambling about elton john for two minutes before hitting someone with a SCUD

Ok, look. I haven't watched The Rock since the late 90's but I saw Con Air last month... so, to be fair, I'll go watch The Rock. But it's going to have a really hard time overcoming the awesomeness that is the star studded turd or Con Air. Con Air is terrible AND it has some of my favorite actors!

Actually, the crown loving jewel in Con Air is Cage's ridiculous accent. I am from Mobile Alabama, I lived there for 27 years. That accent is SOOOOOOOOOOO not anything but a Cageian fever dream. Someone mentioned that Nick's hair out-acted the man himself, but that gentleman HAS NO loving CLUE about the ridiculous parody that was Cages impression of a southerner. It's like Yosemetie Sam on amphetamines.

Also, Cusack and Riley pilot Cobra attack choppers. Because that's like, completely normal training for fed cops and stuff.

Seriously. That accent tho.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Cage's accent in con air was the worst crime committed against the South since sherman's march to the sea.

The rock is legitimately one of the most entertaining movies ever made, start to finish.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

FizFashizzle posted:

Cage's accent in con air was the worst crime committed against the South since sherman's march to the sea.

The rock is legitimately one of the most entertaining movies ever made, start to finish.

Ok, but which one do you think is better? You make it sound like they are both equally awesome.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I don't think I've seen The Rock, but Con Air is hilarious so it gets my vote

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The Rock doesn't have Steve Buscemi lookin all hosed up like he always does so Con Air obvs. Also the protag's motivation is more just in Con Air dude just want's to see his daughtah.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWLPFlW9JWM

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i'll take pleasure in gutting you, boy

i'll take pleasure in gutting you... boy

what is wrong with these people, huh?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Nathilus posted:

The Rock doesn't have Steve Buscemi lookin all hosed up like he always does so Con Air obvs. Also the protag's motivation is more just in Con Air dude just want's to see his daughtah.

That's a good point. Character motivation was much more clearly defined in Con Air. The Rock was kind of iffy about why they were all there taking the city hostage and all that poo poo. They wanted money or they felt betrayed or something? I can't remember, it honestly wasn't that important to the movie.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
My dad took me to both of these when I was about 9 (along with Starship Troopers, Alien Resurrection, Jackie Brown, Fight Club, et al, wildly inappropriate movies for a child). Consequently I've developed into a well-rounded individual thanks to violent 90's movies. Kids these days are too sheltered, my dad never would have taken me to all the sissy rear end superhero PG-13 crap that comes out these days.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't like either, but Face Off is really good.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Rock has one of the greatest car chase scenes from the 90s. Con Air was great but the whole "hey let's have this plane full of dangerous convicts crash land on the loving Strip instead of shooting it down over an empty desert" is a little too unbelievable even for a 90s action movie.

And I'm confused about the boneyard. Did that little girl live in the trailer park all by herself? Or were her parents just asleep through all the plane crashing and explosions and shooting?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hobohemian posted:

That's a good point. Character motivation was much more clearly defined in Con Air. The Rock was kind of iffy about why they were all there taking the city hostage and all that poo poo. They wanted money or they felt betrayed or something? I can't remember, it honestly wasn't that important to the movie.

Ed Harris felt betrayed, so he wanted to stick it to the government and make them pay for it from the same money that they use to fund their clandestine activities. The same dirty activities that got his son and friends killed I guess. Everyone else was along the ride due to either loyalty or :10bux: and it was very important as it was the crux of that stand-off in the operation center

What was the Cusack's motivation in Con Air? Nic Cage was a swell guy so let's just make sure he gets home no matter what?

Also bonus points for The Rock, Final Fantasy VIII shamelessly ripped off the theme to it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Tough question but I'm going with the rock because of Sean Connery

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the movie where cage stabs himself in the heart is obviously superior

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Every line in the rock is so quotable.

Why not just spend 13 dollars on a SSSSEEEEEEEEEEDDDDE, man?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Con air and the rock both rule though. Combine that with face off and I think cage is under appreciated as an action star

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Once again, The Rock is the superior movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh8AO64JKx0

There really is no scene in Con Air that can even compete with this one.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I prefer the national treasure movies.

Crossing my fingers for a third installment. It'll be the greatest trilogy since the mighty ducks

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

More bonus points for The Rock, Michael Biehn was in it as well as Claire Forlani for like a 10 second cameo

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

WhyteRyce posted:

And I'm confused about the boneyard. Did that little girl live in the trailer park all by herself? Or were her parents just asleep through all the plane crashing and explosions and shooting?

The answer is obviously Meth. Her parents are around in one of those shacks methed up out of their minds. Also LOL at the end of that gag: surprise! she doesn't get raped and murdered then worn as a girl suit. ROFL.

psyman posted:

My dad took me to both of these when I was about 9 (along with Starship Troopers, Alien Resurrection, Jackie Brown, Fight Club, et al, wildly inappropriate movies for a child). Consequently I've developed into a well-rounded individual thanks to violent 90's movies. Kids these days are too sheltered, my dad never would have taken me to all the sissy rear end superhero PG-13 crap that comes out these days.

My first R rated movie in a theater was Terminator 2. I don't think it's possible to beat that experience. TERMINATOR TWO!!!!!! Kids get weirded out by strange parts of adult movies though. I remember loving the hell out of the chases and brutal murder scenes but the playground scene depressed/scared me. To a child, even a villain as scary as the T1000 is relatable. It was a discrete being and although it was terribly powerful it had knowable weaknesses and was vanquishable. The nukes and the future however were a different kind of evil, and one I hadn't payed much mind to up until that point in my life: the inevitable, everlasting kind. When I voiced my concern to my mom I got this giant talk about how I was too young to really remember it, but for decades the threat of nuclear annihilation had hung very closely around the world, and how even centuries before that people of good conscience and far seeing minds have worried about our survival as a species. And so for the first time that childhood illusion that I was living in a relatively safe, guarenteed world evaporated. Thanks T2 for my first existential crisis! <3

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
The Rock is pretty much like a Metal Gear movie, it just doesn't have Snake or Metal Gear in it at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

press f to pay respects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8i8mVxt258

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
con air is the superior film

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
The Rock wins for the chase scene with the hummer where the cars crash into poo poo but then magically are repaired in the next frame.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ramsus posted:

The Rock wins for the chase scene with the hummer where the cars crash into poo poo but then magically are repaired in the next frame.

The cars they used probably didn't survive :( so onto the next one.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
are you guys really prepared to divide these forums by claiming (erroneously) that the rock is the superior film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Face/Off > The Rock > Con/Air

all of them own

• Locked thread