Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which is better
Con Air
goku
The Rock
white devils
View Results

• Locked thread
Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
The Rock has a 7.4 rating on IMDB and Con Air only 6.8. Clearly the rock is better as imdb is never wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hobohemian posted:

Didn't he go Hulk Hogan and do one where he was a nanny?

You're thinking of Vin Diesel in The Pacifier. The Rock was the Tooth Fairy

The Rock remake staring The Rock as the SAS dude and Vin as the lab chemist make it happen hollywood. Liam Nieson to be the bad guy commander

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The question really comes down to which movie has the better sidekick. The Rock has either Sean Connery or Nic Cage, depending on which was you look at it.

Con air has John Cusak.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
hmmmm. the rock is pretty drat gay... but so is con air. I chose white devils

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

con air you idiot

edit: cyrus the virus, swamp thing, diamond dog, garland greene, pinball, johnny 23, sally can't dance, etc

con air has more character

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 28, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Pneub posted:

The question really comes down to which movie has the better sidekick. The Rock has either Sean Connery or Nic Cage, depending on which was you look at it.

Con air has John Cusak.

and Colm Meaney! (The Rock is still better)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pod6isjerks posted:

edit: cyrus the virus, swamp thing, diamond dog, garland greene, pinball, johnny 23, sally can't dance, etc

con air has more character

All of it overshadowed by Cage's accent. I am not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

Cage's accent ... good thing

"put the bunny back in the box" wouldn't be the same without it

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Rock's opening is the most America thing and is very well done. But Con Air has Buscemi as Garland Greene so it has my vote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AAd5bWeAok

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That would be amazing. I don't think I've seen any movies that The Rock wasn't great in. I mean, he's been in some absolute poo poo movies, but he's pretty much always the best part of those lovely movies.

While I believe you that Duane Johnson has RonPearlmans's disease, I find it hard to give a gently caress because of wresteling.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Hobohemian posted:

It was just on TV and I can say without hesitation that it is completely poo poo in comparison.

What.

The.

gently caress.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

It was just on TV and I can say without hesitation that it is completely poo poo in comparison.

Any movie that has a 16" gun blowing a submarine to Mars cannot be a bad movie. 16" guns at least get you to 3 stars. Under Seige is quite good.

Voting Con Air.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.
Honestly the best metric when judging movies is this: Does the film have M.C. Gainey? If the answer is no, then you know it won't be the best of movie.

Also, the whole "JULY FOURTEENTH" thing just gets my sides hurting everytime the way Malkovich delivers this entire scene...

"NO THAT'S CLEVER!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMD6k6Pnnw

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Its Face /Off, op

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
"I'll take pleasure in guttin' you, boy!"

The Rock is far superior. It has a Ferrari chasing a Hummer through San Francisco, for God's sake. Ed Harris is a great crazy-but-understandable antagonist, and that scene where they steal the VX gas is loving dope.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
wow looks like the Rock is pulling ahead. My main criticism of the rock is that it has too many diversions..the main plot kinda drags along. Con Air is straight and to the point in comparison.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i love that part where they have to leave the guy behind to die horribly of VX gas

it (a) introduces the magnitude of the weapon they've stolen (b) establishes the stakes (c) shows immediately that while criminal, Ed Harris is ultimately sympathetic and (d) makes for an incredible prologue

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Harald posted:

wow looks like the Rock is pulling ahead. My main criticism of the rock is that it has too many diversions..the main plot kinda drags along. Con Air is straight and to the point in comparison.

I'm like a 100% certain you don't know which movie's which.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

there is one notable digression in the rock, which is the car chase --> mason's daughter, but that's meant to sympathize what would otherwise be an inhuman character... it also shows what a dangerous badass with a heart of gold he is, so when he risks his life to save his daughter/our hero/san fran/the world, it doesn't come out of the blue

it's a necessary detour, but it does take us a bit out of the way and occupy some 25 minutes during the rising action; it's quite an interruption of the pacing

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

there is one notable digression in the rock, which is the car chase --> mason's daughter, but that's meant to sympathize what would otherwise be an inhuman character... it also shows what a dangerous badass with a heart of gold he is, so when he risks his life to save his daughter/our hero/san fran/the world, it doesn't come out of the blue

it's a necessary detour, but it does take us a bit out of the way and occupy some 25 minutes during the rising action; it's quite an interruption of the pacing
yeah that. also like the whole plot with cage's fiancee being pregnant doesn't really add much, imo.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
Con Air seems like it tried to have some imagination and sense of humor, The Rock is just explosions and slow-mo. I could see myself rewatching Con Air.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

for a movie called the rock, it does take a while to get to the rock.

which is why they give you the line "welcome to the rock." for the audience = "welcome to the pay-off."

the movie really rolls from there.

so it has super long first and second acts, and then acts 3-5 just come galloping along.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Bread Dragon posted:

Con Air seems like it tried to have some imagination and sense of humor, The Rock is just explosions and slow-mo. I could see myself rewatching Con Air.

the rock has tons of humor, mostly between cage and connery and somewhat between connery and the FBI chief guy womack. there's also the slapstick sidekick in the beginning of the film, cage's chemistry buddy.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to Orkin to build roach motels :smug:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
the greatness of con air doesn't need any lame rear end description to tell you why its great ^^

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Con Air is in that Armageddon-tier of best worst movies.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Rock has the shower scene though, which is an all-time classic

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i've grown to love armageddon more and more with every passing year.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also, The Rock is kind of dissonant. Sean Connery and Ed Harris are both characters who get poo poo on because America likes keeping its dirty little secrets. Except one of them gets a redemptive story arc and the other doesn't.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Harald posted:

Also, The Rock is kind of dissonant. Sean Connery and Ed Harris are both characters who get poo poo on because America likes keeping its dirty little secrets. Except one of them gets a redemptive story arc and the other doesn't.

Ed Harris' redemption story was ongoing until cruelly ended by Cage and Connery

Only one of those old dudes could get redemption

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

they both have redemptive story arcs, ed harris stands down and is shot to death by the bad bad guys, he dies for what is "right" even after creating the situation in the first place

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Being successful in blackmailing the US Government would have redeemed Harris, actually (we all agree that the government is the villain in this movie, yes?). If Connery and Cage didn't kill his men then he probably would've done it. Instead, he pussed out after seeing some guys die.

e: This is why Con Air is superior. It actively tries to escalate the situation at every opportunity

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

nomadologique posted:

they both have redemptive story arcs, ed harris stands down and is shot to death by the bad bad guys, he dies for what is "right" even after creating the situation in the first place

This.

Also, can't we all agree that Con Air and The Rock are both awesome?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Dead Precedents posted:

This.

Also, can't we all agree that Con Air and The Rock are both awesome?

Everyone already agreed to that. This thread is about which one is more awesome. Also, this thread is tangentially about how Under Siege is mediocre at best and anyone who thinks otherwise is a big wrong dumb gay baby.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

old dog child posted:

Being successful in blackmailing the US Government would have redeemed Harris, actually (we all agree that the government is the villain in this movie, yes?)

The united state does not negotiate with terrorists. It's been our principle for 25 years. You can't give in to them now.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

old dog child posted:

Being successful in blackmailing the US Government would have redeemed Harris, actually (we all agree that the government is the villain in this movie, yes?). If Connery and Cage didn't kill his men then he probably would've done it. Instead, he pussed out after seeing some guys die.

e: This is why Con Air is superior. It actively tries to escalate the situation at every opportunity

No, the government only got ballsy once thermite plasma came on board. A lab rat and a convict running around didn't embolden the president. As Harris said, he was bluffing and the government called it. His plan went no deeper than that.

Why was Connery in the middle of bum gently caress Iowa when he decided to hide his evidence? I'm assuming wherever he stole it from was on the East coast, why would he then go deeper into the country he was trying to escape.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

No, the government only got ballsy once thermite plasma came on board. A lab rat and a convict running around didn't embolden the president. As Harris said, he was bluffing and the government called it. His plan went no deeper than that.

Why was Connery in the middle of bum gently caress Iowa when he decided to hide his evidence? I'm assuming wherever he stole it from was on the East coast, why would he then go deeper into the country he was trying to escape.

what the gently caress are you talking about? I am talking about Harris. He bitched out because he his guys died. pussy basically saw blood and feinted

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 29, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

old dog child posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about? I am talking about Harris. He bitched out because he saw his guys die. pussy basically saw blood and feinted

He was never going to launch any missiles or go through with his plan, he said as much. The only reason he fired off that one was because he didn't realize he brought on a couple of greedy mercs who would pressure him into doing it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

He was never going to launch any missiles or go through with his plan, he said as much. The only reason he fired off that one was because he didn't realize he brought on a couple of greedy mercs who would pressure him into doing it.

Yeah, I know. He said it after everyone got killed. I'm saying he was lying about his change of heart because there's no way he would've been like "lol jk" if nobody was assaulting Alcatraz and the time ran out

poo poo got real and he couldn't man up and finish the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Voted Sean Connery

• Locked thread