Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
E. Because even after everything else has (apparently) been taken away from us, it's what we've still clung to and it's what will keep us going as we restore our name to its rightful glory (and score embarrassingly large sums of cash and stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I voted A for two reasons.

1). Big, fancy ships are cool.

2). A big, fancy ship isn't the end goal of Rogue Trader, it's simply a means to an end. The goal (along with pride, vengeance, whatever) is to make fat stacks of cash. Starting with more money defeats the purpose of that (not entirely, you can always have more) and I think it's more interesting to start our rise to power with (comparatively) minimal resources to throw around at the beginning. The big, fancy ship will give us a leg up to be sure, but we still need to go out there and seize our fortune, and this gives us even more incentive to do so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

frajaq posted:

Well yes but we could also use that extra money at the start to buy practical things like customized best quality carapace armor with the image of an unique Imperial Saint for each of our elite troops (with their detailed stories and glories engraved on them), or a Baneblade covered in diamonds.

Just pointing out that while I'm sticking with my vote, these are all good ideas that should be considered for later.

Actually our elite troops look pretty rad as it is. Rast seems like a cool dude too, hopefully not quite as pointless as a by-the-book Arch-Militant.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I vote A. Being the prideful sort we are, asking another Rogue Trader dynasty to help us is absolutely out of the question, and as for the Inquisition I'd say we thoroughly burned that bridge, plus gently caress those guys anyway. That leaves the other three options, one of which is the Mechanicus but our crew has some suspicions regarding them and I think we should take the advice they're giving us.

That leaves the two merchant options, slower and more reliable or quick but risky (and expensive). Since most of our resource base is tied up in this ship I don't think we should be rushing to bankrupt ourselves just getting started (that would be embarrassing), and we waited however long it took us to get out of Inquisitorial lockup so I don't think waiting just that much longer is going to kill us. Once we're onboard the ship and all squared away, then we can start taking some risks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Mechanicus can be useful but they're also secretive and frequently have their own agenda, plus no small amount of them are pretty loving crazy to boot and not always in the helpful "I made you a plasma gun that fires other, smaller plasma guns" sort of way. If there's something to do with that ship that pushes their buttons for some reason, they're won't hesitate on our account just because we have a fancy bit of paper and a sweet pistol.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Go for the hat trick and be declared Excommunicae Traitorus by all three Inquisitorial Branches.

[CYOA] Black Crusade: One Man's Soul is Insufficient Currency

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Voting D by way of B. Even when we take advantage of this for our own ends we should still make it clear, diplomatically or otherwise, that there are limits to how far you can gently caress with a Rogue Trader, spooky techno-mystics or no. This whole situation smacks of someone's attempt at dickwaving or a "test" of some sort, and that poo poo can't stand.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I prefer to think of it as Pride = Audacity myself. It's a fine line between that and stupidity admittedly, but this is the 40K universe so seeking refuge in audacity isn't always a terrible plan.

I'm voting B, but do so by suggesting that since Crispy was the one to slight us that we should be the ones to determine the appropriate "disciplinary measures." We don't need to keep playing hardball now that we've said our piece and laid out the terms of our proposal, doing so over a rogue servoskull is just going to make us seem churlish.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FireSight posted:

Why the hell do we want to save the annoying and possibly heretical servo-skull?

Because then he'll be our annoying and (probably) heretical servo-skull. Two reasons why this might be useful:

1). If Crispy was able to, essentially, bypass a bunch of Mechanicus security protocols to get us onto the ship without proper authorization, that suggests that he could probably put those hacking skills to use in our own employ...provided we ensure that he doesn't decide to hack our own ship, of course. I assume they make explosive collars in servo-skull size.

2). Because then we'd basically have 40K Morte in our party, and it's a known fact that games are measurably improved by the addition of wisecracking, floating skull buddies. That's just science.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like C is maybe our best bet. "Obstructing business" is a rule that's left open to flexible interpretation and we don't have a ton of power (comparatively) to allow us to just blithely do whatever we want without consequence...we aren't a Winterscale, at least not yet...but with some schmoozing, some bribing (courtesy of the Mechanicus' expense account), and our brand new heretekal servoskull buddy to maybe do some surreptitious hacking for us on the side, I think we could swing it. Obviously we don't want to go indebting ourselves to anyone in the process, but cutthroats being cutthroats I'm sure someone on Footfall would be happy to help arrange for a competitor's downfall...so long as we take precautions for the inevitable betrayal (see; servoskull, heretekal).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
FireSight's plan is more or less in line with what I was thinking as well...we don't need to personally go down to Footfall and club 5,000 people on the head, we just need to arrange things so that the opportunity for 5,000 people to be rounded up becomes available to us and nobody's around to yell at us for "obstructing business" (because they're too busy being turned into servitors, you see). Subcontracting and deniability are always useful practices but it's sort of up in the air how many options we have in that regard at the moment.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A sounds fun, B sounds profitable. First you get the money etc etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel like deniability works best when you aren't playing your own Mr. Johnson, that's what cutouts are for. Plan A isn't a bad one, but since we decided to show up in person I feel like even if it's successful that if it then gets found out who we really are the Augmented may not appreciate us dropping by incognito to stir up a clan war for our own agenda, even if it proves to be a mutually beneficial one. They're going to feel like we're manipulating them (which we are) and given our spiel about how these guys have been faithfully serving our interests even after all the mud our name's been dragged through, they probably deserve better than that.

So we go with plan C, fly the flag and be forthright (well, mostly forthright what with that "anonymous donation" to the Laser Lords). It's not only in-character for us being the prideful sort, but it also stands to reinforce those bonds of loyalty between our Dynasty and the Augmented that we're willing to deal straight-ish with them. The potential glory to be gained is just icing on the cake.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Nobody actually knows what you look like, which is why you yourself could go to enact Plan A.

Right, my qualms aren't so much that someone will recognize us now as they are that someone might recognize us later, and even if things turn out beneficial for everybody loyal allies might not take so well to being manipulated like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Brownview posted:

This owns.

Yeah, that was a really well-written update, thread continues to own.

I'm kind of torn between C and D. Sullat is right, now that we've started this visibly we should ride this rainbow all the way to the end. We're using this as an opportunity to establish that the Prosper Dynasty is back and not to be hosed with. I'm kiiiinda leaning towards D for the reason that instead of using the funds to hire mercenaries that we ultimately hope get killed (so we don't have to pay them) that we can spend that money on ourselves (and what the hell, our Augmented buddies too) and kit ourselves out in righteous style. The downside to D is it means we can't toss too many people around like cannon fodder...if the Augmented suffer too many losses it'll hurt our own Dynasty in the long run, if our own forces suffer too many losses it'll weaken us until we can rebuilt and may cause morale issues...but I think with the right equipment (reflec armor for everyone!) and planning we can pull this off without too much trouble.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Troops through the plume, everyone else through the asteroid.

Yeah, thinking about it I feel like this is a good one. At first I was thinking send the murder servitors through the plume, but they have very simplistic programming and might not be able to react to surprising situations very well, so it's maybe better for our own forces to handle that. The Augmented are at home in and around asteroids so it makes sense to have them deploy along those lines, and the murder servitors can be their vanguard. Frontal assaults are for space marines and penal legions, gently caress that noise.

Something that might make voting for acquisitions a bit easier is a rundown of what our troops already have. Carapace and, I think, hellguns, we know that much, but do they already have grenades or do we need to lay in a supply? Because fluff-wise frag grenades would be good for close in tunnel fighting (but by actual 40Krpg rules they suuuuuck so, uh, let's call that a maybe) but if we already have access to them then no sense in wasting our acquisition.

Silenced solid projectile might be a good choice too since we know from the previous fight that the Laser Lords like to wear reflec armor which is better against lasers (i.e. the stuff we're using now) but not against plenty of bullets. Autoguns and stub automatics might be seen as a bit "low class" compared to our usual fare but they kill people just as dead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

let's acquire some xenotech and just dangle it in front of the mechanicus every time we chat

Comedy option right here.

Okay if Hellguns are good enough to deal with your basic Laser Lord then I don't think we need to worry about purchasing further primary weapons for our own line troops. Combat drugs for the Augmented could be a good choice for maximum rip and tear, and grenades while potentially hazardous to ourselves are still a consideration...our own guys have carapace so I'm not too worried about errant shrapnel from frag grenades, though compressed blastwaves might be an issue.

For our own acquisition, I don't necessarily feel like dropping all our money on that archaeotech mirror shield and getting nothing else for anyone but we could probably invest in a basic personal refractor field which is never a bad thing to have and might still allow us to splurge on our buddies.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can absolutely not pass up Meltaguns. We have to enure that Rast gets one of these as well.

It seems like option G is going to win it, personally I have my doubts that a bunch of laser-loving rock miners have something super amazing that's worth staking a claim to, but I guess we'll see if it was worth an archaeotech reflector field.

Prosper's Praetorians is a good name for the force as a whole, these guys in particular can be the Voidwalkers.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Y'all voted for the "salvage neat poo poo" option when we were shopping so now we need to make that worth our while, otherwise that was kind of a waste of effort. Option A it is. We like our troops, but being a Rogue Trader means sometimes you have to put overwhelming profit above the lives of your own men. Death or glory, it's the 40K way.

Here's my suggestion, Crispy is the servoskull with the tech knowledge (somehow), so have him both direct the shutdown and, if possible, act as overwatch to direct our forces while he goes through the process. He can patch into our comms and tell us "okay, you can blow this airlock but not these others" and give us a route to work with that should hopefully let us accomplish both tasks with some speed instead of stumblefucking around.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Deadmeat5150 posted:

WhAt can one man do against the might of our Dynasty?

Famous last words of the Emperor.

Go C or or go home.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You don't burn fate unless you're essentially going to die without doing so, I don't think there are any provisions for burning it otherwise.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Slightly Lions posted:

C, for sure. C'mon guys, we'll be pursuing an enemy of unknown capability through an unstable engine capable of projecting energy equal to the surface of a star. It'll be fun!

Unironically this.

It's really the only sensible choice. Rast is, no offense, a blunt instrument and this is something that needs a more graceful touch, plus he's needed to coordinate the troops on the ground at which he's far better than we are. And leaving this unknown saboteur to his/her/its own devices is off the table because if we wanted to take the chance that our brand new superweapon might break we'd have chosen to go with the "quick shutdown" option earlier, but we didn't because we don't want out brand new superweapon broke. At this point we're committed.

Granted, we might wish we'd gone for that archaeotech forcefield earlier but, well, what's done is done.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

hahaaa

That's what "WE'RE A ROGUE TRADER!! REPUTATION! :q:" gets you

lol if you think an arm isn't a tiny price to pay for our own death star laser. This is 40K and we're rich, this is like a minor inconvenience at most.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lol if you give up the purity of flesh for the embrace of the machine

psuedonecrons itt

High quality robot arms are swag as hell, sorry. We should gold plate that poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
D and A are kind of the same answer, really. Because gently caress that guy.

But this smells like plot, so I'm going to say a combination of D and A, but quickly segueing into F. I would like to know more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

G check our face for ball and taint marks

The reason the Magos who fixed us up with our new arm was in such high spirits is because there are dicks drawn all over our face in sharpie.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
C with side of B for all the reasons enumerated. We can brush up on our swording skills any time but getting to pore through a Mechanicus library doesn't come along every day and we need to be able to hit the ground running. Have Crispy assist and use the opportunity to see if we can covertly glean anything about him as well.

Also bullshit that was a Vortex Grenade that killed the Inquisitor.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Or a rogue psyker. There are other ways to punch a hole in reality. Notice how only this one Inquisitor got murdered (apparently)? Vortex Grenades aren't precision weapons, Beer even elaborates on that in the description...if someone dropped a Vortex Grenade in the middle of an Inquisitorial conclave there should be a whole bunch of dead Inquisitors instead of just one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

goatface posted:

Nah, the radius of a Vortex grenade isn't that big unless you roll really well.

The radius doesn't have to be that big so long as it A). persists and B). moves around.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
A all the way.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
B. Why learn to swordfight when we can just cheat by abusing precognitive dodge?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's pretty obvious which way this vote is going by now. I mean, I don't disagree with the decision because all those things that got mentioned in the library's favor...thick walls, murderbots, etc...don't mean poo poo to things like daemons, and it's better to have the capacity to run the gently caress away rather than being stuck in an enclosed space with no way out until the gateway to space hell shuts down. Like, if this place had sanctified wards or something that would be a different story, but ceramite and adamantine? In the middle of the Warp itself? Yeah right, time to get the gently caress out. It won't necessarily improve our chances of survival by much, but even a few percentage points is something. If we somehow wind up accomplishing something heroic that's a happy accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Nothing witty to say, but option B sounds pretty good right about now.

• Locked thread