Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Welcome to the ADTRW Osu! thread. Since I couldn't find an Osu! thread in my few minutes of searching, I've decided to make my own about this game I play too much. The main website for the game can be found and the game downloaded here

What the gently caress IS Osu!?

Taken from the wiki/faq - Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan is a rhythm game for the Nintendo DS. The gameplay consists of only three elements: tapping circles on the touchscreen, dragging a ball across a fixed path and rotating a spinner very fast. All these elements are timed to (covers of) popular Japanese songs. It looks like this on the DS:

You can see the circles on the bottom screen, and on the top screen you have the story. Each stage is basically a self-contained story about a person in trouble. That's where the Ouendan (Cheer squad) comes in. Through the magical power of male cheer-leading, you have to help the people in trouble.

The core gameplay of Osu hasn't really changed all that much since then; circles appear on your screen, you aim for them then press a button to hit them. Simple, right? Well, songs can range from fairly easy to really hard but doable with lots of practice to just downright what the gently caress do I do?

There's three other modes called Taiko, Catch the Beat, and Osu!Mania that no one cares about I don't really play.

So what the gently caress is this doing in ADTRW and not games?

As you may have noticed, a majority of the Osu community are anime fans and the majority of ranked maps are infact anime related - a lot of them even downright being maps of a certain show's theme songs. There's even a lot of skins made that have anime characters strewn throughout them. Because of that, I thought I'd bring this addicting game to ADTRW to see if I can't get some goons to play osu together.

Sweet, so what the gently caress do I use to play this game?

The standard for a lot of new users and still for many other users is to use the keyboard and the mouse. They can be the cheapest, shittiest things in the world and still be fine. Tablets are also widely popular and I highly suggest getting one. If you find you really like Osu but don't want to shell out $60+ for a tablet you may not even like, the Huion420 is a nice, small tablet that's relatively cheap. I got mine for $30. There's also an Osu! tablet that is essentially a reskinned Huion420 for about the same price.

When it comes to keyboards, a lot of people like to argue about which keyboard/switch type is the best, but a majority of the computer seems to agree that a mechanical keyboard is the best choice. If not for just playing Osu! but because they're generally awesome for typing in every other computer-related activity. I can't give exact reccomendations other than the keyboard I already have, but the only thing I can say is to get the really loud Blue switches for all the sweet clacks. :getin:

Okay, I've started playing this game. Is there anything I should be aware of?

:frogsiren: STOP USING THE DEFAULT SKIN IT'S BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD :frogsiren:
The first thing you might have noticed when looking at others' videos is that there is no 300 indicator (Because you're supposed to be accurate and 300's will only clutter up the screen), and that their circles actually do look nice. In addition, if you find the hitsounds annoying, these skins do change that. I only really use one skin, so here's two options I really like:
Rafis skin -
Cookiezi skin -
In my opinion, the hitsounds for Rafis > Cookiezi, but the look of cookiezi is better.
An actual list of a variety (You may have to mess around to find one that works for you), is found here or in the osu forums' skinning section.

In addition, you may want to consider turning the background dim to 100%, video off, and storyboard off. You can do this in either the ingame options or individually for each map at the bottom of your screen. Personally, I like having the dim at 85% and story/video off. Lots of anime themes will have the video playing in the background and some people find it distracting which it can be at times.

Okay, I'm interested, but how do I know I'm getting better?

Everytime you make a play, you gain a certain amount of performance points for your play. These are based on your accuracy, your max combo, and the song's difficulty. There are approxamately 100 top plays that you can have, but each sucessive "worse" play will give you less than it's full value. For example, if you only have a 200 and 100 pp play, your 200 play will be weighted 100% and your 100pp play will be weighted 95% giving you a total of 395pp. For another example, I currently have 2486pp and my top plays go all the way from 80 to 145.

There are various mods like Double time, hard rock, hidden, and FL that both increase the difficulty of the map and give you more pp for a successful run. Hidden removes the approach circles, flash light reduces the area you can see, hard rock flips the map, makes the circles smaller, and the 300/100/miss window small, and double time speeds up the game obviously.

Last word/ small term list

These can be found in the maps info, so here's a list if you get confused.
CS - Circle size, higher means smaller.
AR - Approach rate, the higher the approach rate, the less time the circles appear on the screen. It does NOT mean the song is faster.
OD - Overall Difficulty, the higher it is means the smaller the window to hit any 300,100,50 or even miss is. I'm not entirely sure if it affects hp.
HP - Health point penalty, duh.

If anyone refers to streams, those are a bunch of notes placed close to each other so that you have to alternate between z/x or whatever you use to be able to hit them fast enough. The freedom dive example given in the beginning of the OP is an example of a stream heavy map. Generally, the speed you have to press for each stream is given by the maps' bpm, Freedom Dive being 222.

If anyone doesn't know what maps they should be downloading or can't find any, just message me either on SA, post, or on osu and I'll give you some maps. Just give me a star difficulty that you want. Hopefully a few select goons will be interested and we can play in multiplayer together sometime. Or maybe you already do and are too ashamed to admit you play Cookie Clicker on wheels. And before any goon asks, Yes, you can play this game for years and never have to interact with the community for more than a few times!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
At some point, I had made an osu thread, but it was primitive, and lackluster.

One thing I would recommend is touching on the other gamemodes slightly, but other than that, this looks better than my thread.

My profile, if anyone really cares.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

FlamingRok posted:

At some point, I had made an osu thread, but it was primitive, and lackluster.

One thing I would recommend is touching on the other gamemodes slightly, but other than that, this looks better than my thread.

My profile, if anyone really cares.

I added you. :)

I played about an hour of mania 4K yesterday. It was all right but not really my thing. Taiko makes me go crosseyed.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Sliderbreaks are the most evil thing in Osu; I feel the need to whinge about getting TWO s's in a row and neither being full combo. I think a 98% fc was like 140pp.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I played this game for about two hours straight thanks to this thread. Tapping along to the Eva opening is pretty fun.

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010
Some commentary on some random points, hope you don't mind OP:

Scoring and Mods

As mentioned above, there are 4 main score increasing mods. Each mod you put increases the base score you get per hit multiplicatively. For instance, putting hard rock on a map increases your score by 1.06x, while putting both double time and hard rock gives you a multiplier of 1.19x. This is less important if you're just playing to click circles, but plays an important role if you're aiming for leaderboard placements and such.

Hard rock (HR - 1.06x): Reduces circle size by 1 and increases OD and AR by 2 or 3 depending on the map(caps at 10). This also flips the map's circles on the x-axis, so everything will be mirrored top to bottom.

Hidden (HD - 1.06x): Removes approach circles. In my opinion, easiest mod to learn to play and get extra pp on maps.

Double time (DT - 1.12x): Contrary to its name, increases the BPM of the map to only 150% of the base speed. One of the more difficult mods to learn to play because of the crazy approach rates you can reach on harder songs, hence the higher multiplier.

Flashlight (FL - 1.12x): Changes visible area to a small circle around your cursor. The area of this visible circle decreases until 200x combo, and then remains constant. Essentially turns osu into a memory game.

Some common combinations of mods people use are HDHR (once you've gotten cursor placement down, the timing comes fairly easy) and DTHD (at the speed you're going a lot of the time, the approach circles just get in the way).

Mapping

Maps in osu can be created by anyone, but only certain maps are chosen to be given leaderboards and integrated into the ranking system. There are several different categories of maps, but here are the main ones:

1) Ranked & Approved: The most played type of map. Has leaderboards and awards pp based on your scores. Generally fairly consistent in terms of quality.

2) Approved: This category is reserved for maps that are high quality but aren't ranked for a number of reasons, ranging from absurd difficulty to length. These have leaderboards but don't contribute to pp (at least, last I checked). Also usually high quality.

3) Pending: If you make a map and submit it to the system, this is where it goes. You're limited to a certain number of maps you can have pending to discourage people from starting maps and never finishing them. Quality here varies from better than some ranked maps to trash.

4) Qualified: These are new since the last time I played seriously, but apparently they're between pending and approved. These maps have leaderboards but can be subject to wipes at any time due to map changes.

Playstyles

There are a bunch of ways to play this game, but if you're playing for fun just pick one that works for you and stick with it. Practice will get you farther than equipment and/or playstyle in this game. Obviously there are some more esoteric input methods but here are the main ones:

Keyboard + Tablet: I'm fairly certain most top players use this combination. Tablet is used for aiming and keyboard for tapping. Advantages of tablet are absolute movement (compared to a mouse's relative movement) and faster snapping. Takes some time to get used to if you're used to mouse.

Keyboard + Mouse: The other obvious combination. Uses keyboard to tap and mouse to aim. I'd like to say that mice players are just as good as tablet players, but in reality this isn't quite true. Can be competitive but takes a lot of practice to stay in form since it relies on muscle memory to get proper snaps.

Mouse only: Some people who use osu to practice Starcraft or other RTS's use the mouse to click and aim. Clicking with the mouse buttons is difficult at higher speeds, especially with streams.

Tablet only: Pretty sure nobody does this anymore. Uses the pen of the tablet to tap and aim. Obvious disadvantage of not having the ability to do stacked/repeated notes.

Touchscreen: A korean player by the name of Bikko used to play like this and got a bunch of high scores using FLHD on jumpy maps. The main advantage is not having to worry about jumps since you can just reach your hand over to touch the note, but also suffers from not being able to do streams.

One thing I will mention: If you're a mouse player, lower your sensitivity. If you're a tablet player, increase your area. Doing these things will increase your accuracy with practice, letting you hit the smallest notes and longest jumps without over/under-shooting.

Skins

The skins in the OP are good, but I strongly recommend people to mix and match to make their own skin that suits them. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for every person. For instance, I can't use transparent hitcircles, even if it gimps me when I play with hidden on. A list of elements that can be modified can be found here: https://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Skinning

Spinning

While easy after a bit of practice, a lot of people starting out often complain about spinners. Spinners have a speed from 0 to 477 and are based on how fast your cursor goes around the little circle in the middle of the spinner. You can spin clockwise or counterclockwise, but the main thing to keep in mind is that your speed is only based on how many times you go around the center. The takeaway is that you should keep your spins small and clustered around the middle, rather than making big circles.

If there's a topic someone wants to know about, feel free to ask. If I don't know the answer, I have a number of friends who are still active in the competitive and mapping aspects of this game, so I can ask them and report back.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I play for a little bit every now and then, not very often but feel free to add me: Demicol

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Played this for a few hours in Mouse+Keyboard mode. My wrist aches.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

ebacho posted:

Some commentary on some random points, hope you don't mind OP:

Oh, not at all.

Harettazetta posted:

Played this for a few hours in Mouse+Keyboard mode. My wrist aches.

I remember the first few days I had my tablet the area underneath my thumb started to have pain after only a few hours. It took longer and longer each day and now I don't feel any pain anymore unless I play for 8 hours or something.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Osu! is a good game provided you don't play enough to get stress fractures in your forearm.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Is anyone up for some goon multis this weekend? I don't mind playing 2 stars if you're new.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I downloaded this because I have too much free time and like rhythm games, where the gently caress do I start with getting beatmaps? Recommendations?
Will be playing mouse+kb, I kinda expect the mousing to be fairly easy to get the hang of considering how much time I've put into gaming and how much mousing muscle memory I already have.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I downloaded this because I have too much free time and like rhythm games, where the gently caress do I start with getting beatmaps? Recommendations?
Will be playing mouse+kb, I kinda expect the mousing to be fairly easy to get the hang of considering how much time I've put into gaming and how much mousing muscle memory I already have.

The first thing I would do is just look up songs. Maybe start with some animes or just random songs in general you think might be mapped.

If you friend https://osu.ppy.sh/u/tillerino and send him !r ingame, his irc bot will send you a message with beatmap reccomendations if you just want something random.

e: I'm going to list some names of songs that have at least 1 star versions

Granat
Beware the Umbrella Left There Forever
Omega Rhythm
Red Goose
Rinne-Rondo
Trust me
The Creator
Plasma Gun
Cruel Angel's Thesis
Yamato Nadeshiko Education
Wo Ge Zai Guang Dian
Ringo Mogire Beam
The Battle for Everyone's Souls
Junes Theme
Reach Out to the Truth
Weed Circulation
Crowds (TV Size)
Time Bomb (feat. Veela & Boyinaband)
He Xie Ni Quan Jia
Xhoria
Saigetsu (Midnight Moon Walker Reimx)
Clash
Night of Knights
Secret base ~Kimi ga kureta Mono~
Midnight Siege
Koigokoro
Hanatan - Airman ga Taosenai (SOUND HOLIC Ver.)

These should be more than enough to get you started and they're all under like 1.7 stars. Some might have 2 star+ versions.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 7, 2015

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I really don't know enough anime music to have any idea what to look for. I watch a bunch of anime but I usually skip the openings and endings after watching them once. This game just looks fun. I'll message that player (osu website pm? or in-game only?) and check out what you listed.
How about the beatmap packs on the osu site?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I really don't know enough anime music to have any idea what to look for. I watch a bunch of anime but I usually skip the openings and endings after watching them once. This game just looks fun. I'll message that player (osu website pm? or in-game only?) and check out what you listed.
How about the beatmap packs on the osu site?

I don't know about the packs but you're welcome to report them back to me. You have to message the player ingame with !r to get the reccomendations. I know they're based off of your top plays, so I think you should play a few maps before asking Tillerino for maps.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Will report back. Thanks for the help.

I found my first map so far and recorded my first decent no-miss run with it. This song + map are amazing. Know anything similar?
Its far from perfect but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DrGAcWj-o
This game is loving addicting.

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 7, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

Will report back. Thanks for the help.

I found my first map so far and recorded my first decent no-miss run with it. This song + map are amazing. Know anything similar?
Its far from perfect but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5DrGAcWj-o
This game is loving addicting.

Nice fc; you seem to have the same accuracy problem I have where every single note is hit too early and is a 100. :D There's a reason people say you're here forever and that is because the game can get addicting. I also added you.

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/573043&m=0 Is my favourite map of all time - it has a 2 and 3 star version for you. I'm not sure about anyone else, but every single one of its difficulties feels incredibly satisfying for some reason.

If we're sharing videos, then here's something wtf I did today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXcaRqkCNog

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The beatmap packs are generally pretty good, but it's usually a mixed bag. If you just want to pump up the amount of songs in your osu! library it is a good way to go. You can always trash the songs that suck.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I slider broke on Leaf - I [Another]. :negative:

ebacho
Oct 26, 2010
Kinda late to the beatmap chat, but here's a few that I pulled from the top of my most recent beatmaps downloaded. I'm garbage at judging easier difficulties, but the normals/hards seem solid on these.

SirensCeol - Nightmare https://osu.ppy.sh/b/344326
Orangestar - Asu no Yozora Shoukaihan https://osu.ppy.sh/b/565571
Himeringo - Idola no Circus https://osu.ppy.sh/b/376716
OkameP - EdelWeiss https://osu.ppy.sh/b/342118
Draw The Emotional - Sad Spring http://osu.ppy.sh/b/355796
M2U feat. Guriri - Magnolia https://osu.ppy.sh/b/344756

For those who are interested in some more esoteric maps, I highly recommend anything by galvenize or val0108. Some examples:

HujuniseikouyuuP - Talent Shredder https://osu.ppy.sh/s/47710
FujuniseikouyuuP - FREEDMAN https://osu.ppy.sh/b/291432
Hatsune Miku - Mythologia's End https://osu.ppy.sh/b/151229
Traktion - Mission ASCII https://osu.ppy.sh/b/162405
bj.HaLo - Ende https://osu.ppy.sh/s/44035

Also, you should generally try to tackle harder difficulties as soon as you're able. Sticking to 1-2 stars can make you have bad habits, and sometimes easier difficulties are harder than the "hards" because of the timing involved.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
I can recommend Idola no Circus and Mission ASCII too, both are good maps. Primastella - Koigokoro is another good one.

I've been playing this irregularly for a while, started again two weeks ago and I'm still terrible but slowly getting better. I ordered an osu! tablet, which should help since using a mouse tenses up my hand a lot.
Here's me slider breaking by missing the starting circle by 1-2 pixels :negative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bLFyAsMrw

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/79498 or gtfo. :colbert: Nice skin, though. Not having the ends of sliders creepes me out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Can you actually install this on a tablet or smartphone?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Can you actually install this on a tablet or smartphone?

People have played it on an android before but I would not know the details.

For apple anything I would hazard a guess no.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's probably worth only ~5pp, but I don't care. I broke 10xish before the end of the song but still managed an S. This is the map that got me into the 4 digit ranks! https://osu.ppy.sh/b/135177?m=0

It was 167pp making it barely my second top play! Now I just need to make sure I can't decay out of 4 digits. :yayclod:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

just a heads up, the cookiezi skin links to malware

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

just a heads up, the cookiezi skin links to malware

:thumbsup:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

it's been so long since i've played i forgot my acct and had to make a new one the other day

so begins the long grind to git gud again

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

By the way that's technically against the rules, but you probably won't get banned for it if you're just a random person and lay low.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

lol I will never be competitive

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

lol I will never be competitive

They also ban random non-competative people too for it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The only good mode is catch the fruit

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Namtab posted:

The only good mode is catch the fruit

Only if you're Exgon. :smugdog:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Is it strange to find most beatmaps easier with HR on? Because that's what's happening.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's probably because of the higher ar on those normal maps.

Some maps like atama no taisou and rainbow dash likes girls would be so much easier if they were ar10 and not 9; same with dragonforce songs being ar8 instead of 9.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

any tips for getting used to playing with a tablet? i got one today and it's not feeling like it's all they're cracked up to be :(

e: it took me 3 maps to figure it out, but disabling mouse clicks in-game means the pen won't click. everything is going much better now

Gihon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 25, 2015

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Which tablet are you using? What area size is it?

Also all the tips I can give after knowing that are things tgat just work for me when the key is to just play more. It only took me a few hours to get acclimated, but your results may vary.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Huion H420

after disabling the pen clicks im doing way better and already beating some PRs on easier maps.

top left and bottom right objects can be a little hard to hit because of hand positioning though

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Gihon posted:

Huion H420

after disabling the pen clicks im doing way better and already beating some PRs on easier maps.

top left and bottom right objects can be a little hard to hit because of hand positioning though

The H420 you should probably use full area. My pen grip is most like #10 here

, or look at this picture:

I hover with the pen instead of dragging it; it took awhile to get used to the fact that I shouldn't pick up my pen too far off the tablet or else it won't register. I still occasionally fly too high from time to time, but it takes practice. My tablet is tilted slightly to the left like you would if you write on paper right-handed. Sometimes I have to keep loving with it to get it to feel correct. My resolution is 1920x1080 fullscreen, and I have it mapped to the full area.

You should disable flicks and mouse buttons ingame. Also, uninstall the new drivers if you have them; they're poo poo. See the last post in this thread to get a good driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GF4ajgMSwM

This is a loving work of art I need to share.

• Locked thread