Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Mania 4K is literally DDR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.

AdorableStar posted:

Mania 4K is literally DDR

maybe if you have 4 legs because when three/four notes appear at the same time, you aren't DDR'ing that.

So Taiko has been going well, getting slightly back into standard (though definitely not for pp), though mapping has been far more interesting for me.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The DDR people play on the computer, yes it is.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
There are techniques during a step-chart to hit two arrows with one foot. It's actually almost necessary for some higher difficulty maps - the technique is somewhat similar to playing taiko no tatsujin full alt, in that it's almost outright necessary for anything fast enough because you'll never have enough stamina semi-alt or single-tapping. Given this, it'd be possible to do 3-key and 4-key jumps, but legs are directly limited in tapping speed, unlike fingers. Referring to 4K as DDR is handy for it being the most recognizable game of similar play - like how you might regard 5K as Guitar Hero.

In reality, StepMania is a more accurate term for keyboard charts, whereas ITG and DDR could be viewed exclusively as pad charts. (It doesn't matter.)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I just found out about this game the other day, and have already downloaded about 8000 songs. Working my way from 1 star up, to get used to things. I used to love DDR, beatmania, and this is just a goofy enough game to get me addicted for a while I think.

profile: add me as a friend or whatever https://osu.ppy.sh/u/7144087

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I've been playing since December and I only have 5000 beatmaps availible. (And the ones I would actually play are much lower because osu forces you to download every diff and counts each as a different beatmap.) :geno:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus christ, I've been playing for like two years and I only have like 300 or so songs, how do you reach these numbers so fast

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Jesus christ, I've been playing for like two years and I only have like 300 or so songs, how do you reach these numbers so fast

Does playing mean a few hours every few months or constantly?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I found a torrent with the first 100 beatmap packs and just went "welp, this'll be fine" and didn't realize it would unpack to 8,000 goddamn songs. :(

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Luna Was Here posted:

I didn't know you played this! What's your profile?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

AdorableStar posted:

Does playing mean a few hours every few months or constantly?

I play probably a few times a week, almost always before I turn on league so as to warm up. My play rate between the two is somewhat the same but lately I've fallen out of league and by proxy osu. Idk, I'm not usually searching for new music so maybe thats my reason why?

FetalDave posted:

I didn't know you played this! What's your profile?

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/1503728

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I don't really search for new songs that much either but I still manage 5000 beatmaps availible. I'll cut that number down by 3300 since that's all the maps below 4.5* I generally won't have a reason to play. That leaves me with ~2700 actual maps.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

So a collaborative mapping project sounds like a neat idea to me, and AdorableStar had (kinda) made a map in the past. I have some experience in making maps as well (albeit not so good in my opinion), so I think a collaborative map from the SA Forums sounds interesting at the very least? Don't know how to use the editor? No problem, I know enough about it to assist. Don't think you're good enough for a collab? None of us really are!

If there's enough interest, then discussion about what song would be good to map would (hopefully) follow afterwards. If there isn't (which honestly is probably likely), :shrug:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so does anyone have any recommendations for fun beatmaps or just beatmaps they find challenging? for an aggregate of my skill, rubik's cube 5x5x5 is probably the hardest i've beat so far

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015

Luna Was Here posted:

so does anyone have any recommendations for fun beatmaps or just beatmaps they find challenging? for an aggregate of my skill, rubik's cube 5x5x5 is probably the hardest i've beat so far

Use ppaddict, it will give you good maps for your skill level. pretty useful site.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

https://osu.ppy.sh/s/252607

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So does anyone know how often the Osu Tablets come into stock? I wanna grab one but if I have to wait till like next year I'll just get the other one mentioned in the OP

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Also, Cookiezi has been unbanned, and is about to hit top 500 after less than like 48 hours of being back
his recent history is loving crazy
[

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

3.9k pp in one day what the actual christ

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I still have more pp than him. :smug:

One day I want to go from 5680 to 6000 but I'm too busy playing ctb :negative:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
whats up with this loving whistling? like it tells me im getting 300 points or whatever so I dont think im loving it up but sometimes i'll get one of those bits where you follow the ball and its just loving NON STOP and then i'll do another one and it'll be fine. whistle at me one more loving time and im throwing this exe out the window

e: the only drat reason I can play the harder version of cruel angels thesis is because ive listened to it a million times, its fun

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
He's about 500 behind you now Star

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
klapman it sounds like your skin has unsatisfying hitsounds, (specifically for slider beats) and I would suggest getting a new one

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah the default skin is poo poo

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Dilemma: Keep gaining pp and ruin the perfect roundness of 3500pp?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I might stop playing too if it was taiko

:goonsay:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

no stop playing so you don't beat me

Also Taiko is still the best mode.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

FlamingRok posted:

no stop playing so you don't beat me

Also Taiko is still the best mode.

I'm glad you agree with me that ctb is the best mode by far.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I tried playing Taiko once and then a bunch of different shapes and colors all flew at me and then i never played taiko again

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
Shapes and colours are your friend, though.

I think it's the most fun mode osu! offers due to the patterns. It just feels good. 7K is probably similar in the manner of patterns but for the life of me I can't find a comfortable keyboard set-up for that mode.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

My brain can't do 7k even if I really wanted to.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
my brain can hardly do 4k

in other news, I finally passed 750pp today. The map I did it on had some crazy rear end jumps on it for the low sens I play at so I was kinda surprised at how well I did. Can't wait for my osu!tablet to get in next year

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

One year ago yesterday I first got my tablet and then it was straight up from 700 to 2000pp.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
I dabble in this from time to time. Feel free to add me, or not.

https://osu.ppy.sh/u/6364846

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just started using tablet today. Everything old is new again and its real hard.

Quick question, is there a guide to how I'm supposed to be gripping/posturing with this? I'm getting mad hand cramps similar to when I would write a lot and I'm fairly certain its just a posture/grip issue

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
There isn't a defined grip that's good for all circumstances. Here is my grip:

Full tablet area ~2.5 osu sensitivity.
Just play around with settings, see what works, see whats comfortable, you will get the hang of it in like a week.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I hold mine like how I hold a fork.

I'd link a live video I have of it, but I'm not associating my SA account with anything I do elsewhere on the internet.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I just one missed at the very very very end of a map that could've been my first 7 star full combo. :suicide: For reference, my highest fc is about 6.5 and my usual fc range is around 6.3 or lower depending on acc.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

6,000pp isn't even 3 digits anymore this is sad. WWW barely in the top 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gawrz
Aug 30, 2015
He is still within 250pp of top10, I reckon he is still relatively safe, but the calibur of top10 players is so high right now and not to mention that there is also Reimu outside of top 10, Spare just got unbanned. I give it 2-3 months and the top 10 will be WILDLY different,

• Locked thread