Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i had this friend as a kid who's little brother wore long underwear all year round. like, in the summer he'd put then under shorts & a t-shirt

turns out he had p. severe learning disabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

IronLawnmower posted:

Wtf are long underwear?

thermal underwear

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
send him to fat camp

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
ok the dad probably doesn't want him to be alpha or "manly" he just want him not to be such a loving passive creep. i dont have kids but i can totally relate to that

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

al bundy is awesome and actually a pretty good representation of your average dad

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Libelous Slander posted:

al bundy makes jokes about fat people, do you not see how this is problematic?

like, you can't even get away with that on the SA forums

there's a designated fat joke thread on the front page of GBS right now

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
why is he a lovely dad exactly though

for posting that poo poo online? maybe he just needs to vent

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
he's dissapointed that his son grew up to be a entitled little creep and is worried he won't grow out of it

based on what he says, i dont blame him. he'll have that little poo poo stinking up the house until he dies

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

he's dissapointed that his son grew up to be a entitled little creep and is worried he won't grow out of it

based on what he says, i dont blame him. he'll have that little poo poo stinking up the house until he dies

i mean i'm not surprised goons think he's a bad dad for thinking this. hits quite close to home doesn't it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
seriously tho if a 13-year old is fat there's something wrong with his life

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This thing is called "parents"

also "video games" and "lovely food in school" and "geek culture"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

All of which parents have control of except possibly lovely school food if you are a poor. Like if one of my kids was getting fat I'd just make them come to the gym with me or do something else to keep active and if they don't want to then you just take the "video games" and "geek culture" away. Just passively letting them get fatter without doing anything meaningful about it is being a lovely parent. You can control what they eat, what they own and what they can do at 13. If they are making bad choices you are kind of obligated as a parent to help them correct it.

reddit dad said his kid hates doing anything else than playing minecraft or w/e so uhhh whats your point exactly

kids aren't machines you can make them do as you say but you can't make them enjoy it. honestly, if the ONLY thing that makes your kid happy is playing games with his creepy friend you'd be kind of disappointed too

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
reddit dad realised his son is an adolescent version of this dude:

and is horrified, disappointed and saddened by it. do you blame him

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

CharlestonJew posted:

Hanging out with reddit dad = Unhappy kid
Going to theme parks with reddit dad = Unhappy kid
Eating out with reddit dad = Unhappy kid
Playing videogames with friend, without reddit dad = Happy kid

Try to find the common denominator here

you should carefully re-read the op or maybe just stop posting

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Not everything is fun or enjoyable. Sometimes you have to do things like laundry, clean up, and work on not being a depressed and miserable fat person. You job as a parent isn't to make a kid happy all the time it's to help them become a functional adult who is equipped to do things with their life beyond turning 40 in your basement.

Otherwise it's going to be a big loving shock whenever they are on their own and figure out that lots of the things you have to do in life are pretty boring or unenjoyable.

yeah i agree and reddit dad does too at least based on that thing he posted. the son has no interest in books, music, movies, the mechanical (whatever that means), his grades suck, he never goes out unless forced, he apparently doesn't enjoy going to amusement parks, nowhere his dad can think of that would be fun. he only likes playing minecraft with his creepy friend.

dad says he's mostly disappointed in himself for not being abled to figure out a way to make anything else appealing to his son

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah this kid who does what pretty much all guys in college do these days sure is a giant gently caress up.

hey video game avatar dude this is totally not true

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

it doesnt say he doesnt enjoy going to amusement parks, it says that he is scared of heights and the fast rides

it also says that he doesnt complain and does what he is told when his dad does it even if he doesnt particularly enjoy things that are intended to be fun

he apparently cries frequently at things that his father finds baffling

he also regularly seeks comfort in passive activities and junk food and seems to regularly have bad experiences when put into a social situation like at camp

he enjoys the company of his mother more than his father, who we know has a chip on his shoulder pertaining to "manliness" and poo poo

the dude in the op's son has an anxiety disorder or autism or some other kind of developmental handicap that his dad is too stupid to recognize and its going untreated because instead of talking with teachers or social workers or other professionals the kids father is posting passive aggressive rants on reddit about how much he wants to beat his son for being confusing

idk what crystal ball you got most of that poo poo from

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Eat junk food and play video games is pretty much par for the course in any college you go to.

you need to re-read the op or just stop posting

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

its all in the op

it's not though, you're making pretty far out assumptions based on the op

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

The dude literally says he thinks his kid is broken because he eats junk food and plays minecraft despite doing what ever his dad asks of him lmao.

that's not what he says at all

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

i suppose it could all be lies but nobody would lie on the internet least of all reddit

no you read it how you want to and assume poo poo based on what he writes like his son likes being with his mom more and that he has autism or a similar disability.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

dad doesn't want his son to turn into a sensitive, antisocial goon and surprise surprise goons are up in arms about it lol

hits too close to home yes

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

What's wrong with being sensitive? Is being autistic and unable to read peoples emotions considered a good trait now?

op doesn't say anything about that poo poo, it just says he cries over trivial poo poo and the dad says he's probably making a big deal out of nothing since he's old school or w/e

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
reddit dad is worried his kid is turning into this

goons think he's a monster

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

afeelgoodpoop posted:

wow... its almost like the dad who said his kid does anything he ask him could easily direct him to some type of exercising. maybe even in some incredibly passive way like putting the computer on a standing desk. but naw its probably better to hate a core part of their personality.

he doesn't hate his personality, he's worried about him. he says the kid is getting into taek wan do and feels bad about not making him do sports earlier, so according to op he's actively trying to make his son move more

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
seriously is your reading comprehension this bad

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

he thought about punching his son and didnt instantly feel ashamed of himself for even letting the thought cross his mind

he does though, he thinks his son crying over poo poo he thinks is trivial is a sign of weakness but at the same time admits that those thoughts are his own weakness. carefully read the op again or maybe stop posting

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

no it says he thinks himself weak for NOT punching his loving son

well poo poo, i guess you could read it like that. now that's p. hosed up. we need reddit dad to clarify this here

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

burritolingus posted:

Basically. This Dad dropped the ball hard and now he's running to reddit to cry about how his son is a loving dork when it's entirely this dad's fault. Kid will probably turn out fine despite having poo poo parents though. Hang in there, little dude.

it's a teensy bit the kids fault too

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

afeelgoodpoop posted:

sensitivity and negative feelings towards being sensory overloaded is a core component of being a sensitive ie withdrawn/shy person.the child in the op is unable to overlook anxiety/fear to enjoy carnie rides which is a very good tell of it. its important to remember that this is a core aspect of 1 out of 5 people born in this world with only psycho substances like lsd or ssris and high social rank can change. imagine if nearly every new high sensory experience is overwhelmed by the negative feelings of anxiety, and overcolor whatever it is your experiencing? it should be easy, especially for goons. this also shows why parental direction towards adult life is very important, since anxiety colors nearly every experience negatively, how could you possibly know what you want to dedicate your times for? well, aside from your ritual (videogames) that is.

time to clear out the basement

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

burritolingus posted:

He didn't choose his dumbass dad though.

are you saying you can raise up a kid to be anything you want because i assure you thats not the case

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

gigawhite posted:

every 13 year old is a loser

kid in the op sounds like the runt of the loser litter

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

burritolingus posted:

No I'm saying this dude clearly hosed his up though.

parenting isn't everything sometimes kids just grow up hosed you know

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Mad Archivist posted:

if you're saying the son is somehow genetically predisposed to being a goon then this still isn't his fault :confused:

nature or nurture the blame lies totally on fuckup redditor divorcee dad who made and raised protogoon son

well i've known brothers with one well adjusted, normal brother and one like described in the op so i guess sometimes ppl can just go wrong you know

like, all serial killers didn't have a lovely childhood altho yeah it's more common that they did

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

a bone to pick posted:

LMAO goons are literally diagnosing and agreeing on a kid's mental disorders through a short post the dad made.

more like posting their own

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

gigawhite posted:

when I was 13 a friend thought it would be funny to convince a girl to grind on me at a middle school dance. my reaction was to push her off and run away. nobody survives being 13

did it make you cry though

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

if he forced him to turn off minecraft his son would eventually find some other form of escapism (after trying and failing to get over the fact that his dad forced him to cut off contact with what is probably his only friend) because minecraft is a symptom and not a cause

as far as we know minecraft is the symptom of being a loving dork and nothing more

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm pretty sure Minecraft now is like a kid of a prior generation playing Mario or Sonic or Pokemon

Like the only thing its a symptom of is that he likes the same videogame other kids like

back in the day, sitting inside doing nothing but playing those made you a loving dork, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
a tablet is what they want now

• Locked thread