Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Play video games all day and eating junk food? This dad should be proud his kid is already acting like he's in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

he's dissapointed that his son grew up to be a entitled little creep and is worried he won't grow out of it

based on what he says, i dont blame him. he'll have that little poo poo stinking up the house until he dies

His kid is like 99% of other kids, as long as he's getting good grades and decides to be productive who gives a gently caress if he plays video games all day.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
This dad posts on reddit so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a like father like son scenario.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
In every single parenting guide the very first piece of advice should be "Don't like vicariously through your kids'

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

City of Tampa posted:

I disagree. You don't try to have a "genuine emotional connection" with a teenage male child that uses tears to manipulate you. You tell them to stop being a pussy bitch and grow the gently caress up, preferably by shouting that into their crying face from about an inch away.

Dad definitely has some issues since he is more comfortable talking to reddit than his son, but he's on the right track he just needs to act on his feelings. I'd be willing to bet that mom is the person trying to have a "genuine emotional connection" with her special snowflake child, and look at how great that is turning out for him. He'll have headmates, a tumblr blog, and dyed blue hair any day now.

Hi dad from the OP

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obviously the solution to my son having emotional issues it to yell at him and threaten him, this is a good plan.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Middle school is when everyone starts having a lot of hormones they don't really know what to do with.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fojar38 posted:

when my son cries i assume the little poo poo is trying to manipulate me

ask me about being a well adjusted father

The dude is from Tampa, he can be forgiven for having no idea how to act like a real human.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

City of Tampa posted:

He's a talented, funny, intelligent guy that works his rear end off and doesn't take himself too seriously.

And if I ever cried in front of him about anything other than the death of a close family member he would have called me a pussy, because that is what I would have been. Dads should be expected to teach their sons how to be men, not to coddle them until they are useless and repulsive softbodies.
/

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
All these decades of physiological research on parenting and child development must mean nothing because my dad insulted and screamed at me and I turned out fine.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArbitraryC posted:

Kid is 13 and already becoming fatass with no friends, he's on track to grow up on wizardchan. Seriously, the longer you wait to develop healthy eating/excercise habits and a healthy social life the harder it gets. This kid is about to spend 4 years in highschool being a virgin who's only other friends are also asocial nerds and then be a bitter weirdo throughout college who's resentful of normal people if something isn't done pretty much right now.

You know college exists so bitter weirdo's can get laid right?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could yknow, try and broaden his horizons or take an interest in his personal life but it's a lot easier to yell at him and make him feel worthless so he kills himself at age 16

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

reddit dad realised his son is an adolescent version of this dude:

and is horrified, disappointed and saddened by it. do you blame him

This guy probably makes twice what reddit dad makes lol

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

afeelgoodpoop posted:

current psych community recommendations when raising a more shy/withdrawn child is actually to provide much more direction and discipline in their life, like what you say. however the reddit dad said his kid does everything that's asked of him, even if they come out of it only seeing the negatives. everything the father complains about is resentment of his sons lack of spirit and positive attitude. how exactly do you beat that into somebody?

But you see getting good grades and being successful isn't enough, I don't want my kid ending up being some human being likes steve jobs.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I mean college is where I turned my poo poo around I'm just saying that most of my high school friends (who were in a similar boat as this kid when we were all 13) didn't. One of them literally just sat in his dorm and played wow for his entire university experience. If you don't develop these skills early it's really hard not to just go the path of least resistance and never work on them, sometimes even if you're willing to change it can be hard because the easiest way to make new friends is to already have a good social life. From the health perspective pretty much every study that's looked into it ever points to being fat as a kid making it harder to not be fat as an adult, so that's also a totally legitimate observation. From a career perspective being the kind of person who wants to stay home all day and play video games rather than progressing in a hobby with challenge/difficulty is how you end up with underachievers who can't ever seem to find jobs.

Dad is totally right in seeing that his unambitious, passive, lazy, and asocial 13 year old is going to struggle with life.

Actually playing video games all day is fine if you go to college and get good grades and an internship. I don't think a single Comp Sci major Iv ever met was anything but a turbo nerd who watches you know what but they still got laid.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah this kid who does what pretty much all guys in college do these days sure is a giant gently caress up.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

hey video game avatar dude this is totally not true

Eat junk food and play video games is pretty much par for the course in any college you go to.

ArbitraryC posted:

What comp sci department did you go to? My brother was comp sci and he said pretty much all the guy in his department were as nerdy as him and no one was getting laid.

Besides though the kid is also getting bad grades and not coding in his spare time. My brother was a giant asocial nerdlord but he programmed for shits and giggles in his spare time because it was something outside video games and anime that interested him. Kids like the one in the OP are more the type to go into comp sci because they like computer games and then drop out when they realize the material requires effort.

You probably need to either be celibate, or look like that dude from the goonies to not get laid as a nerd in college.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dyna Soar posted:

you need to re-read the op or just stop posting

The dude literally says he thinks his kid is broken because he eats junk food and plays minecraft despite doing what ever his dad asks of him lmao.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Were having some very interesting discussion here for something that is very obviously STDH

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

a bone to pick posted:

dad doesn't want his son to turn into a sensitive, antisocial goon and surprise surprise goons are up in arms about it lol

What's wrong with being sensitive? Is being autistic and unable to read peoples emotions considered a good trait now?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry but every time someone on the internet complains about people who are sensitive it's normally someone who can't relate to anyone due to crippling social anxiety.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciprian Maricon posted:

if only there was an option between emotionally closed off psycho and weepy sad sack

Not when were operating on this level of hyperbole.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Taking your parenting advice from reddit and SA seems like a very good idea,

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fojar38 posted:

kid should hold up a liquor store to get money to buy anime figurines just to make his dads brain crash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's very awesome how the kid has tricked his dad into being a retard on the internet.

• Locked thread