Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember a totally different experience with "exploration" which involved going to Allakhazam and that one map website where some guy actually did go and hand chart every single zone down to the proper scaling. Then there was The Safehouse and various class forums for new expansion stuff. I mean if you liked trying to figure out which of these specific placeholders to kill on the other end of the zone in order to spawn the giant you actually want then more power to you I guess.

That's nonsense, it's like saying Wizardry doesn't have exploration because you can google maps and walkthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Ten years ago I would've recommended Final Fantasy 11. Final Fantasy 14 is probably closest nowadays.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oh this thread is alive. The Repopulation has been opened up and it is supposedly a new age SWO, but it has something of a crap visual design in many ways so that is a shame

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Britt Burns posted:

If you want a pretty game that rewards exploration, give ESO a try! ( :q: ) It's very solo-y, though, so ymmv.

How has no one said this yet? I mean there's difficult teamwork if you want to get into the crazier Pve group content or a poo poo load of pvp on a massive scale where you could have multiple teams strategizing and doing poo poo on different sides of the map. On top of that it's got some of the cleanest if not the cleanest graphics of any mmo on the market, and every nook and cranny is unexplored to you. If you want to sit there on google and type in every name of a fort, camp, dungeon, etc you run into, go for it, but if you want "meaningful exploration" there's nothing more meaningful than taking a step off the path and ending up with an extra skill point, some new gear and potions and whatever while also getting tossed into all these little side quests and poo poo that are everywhere.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
EVE, you filthy casual.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
OP what you want is Pathfinder Online. It's a new game with award winning graphics and an emphasis on grouping and player synergies in combat. It's very difficult, a single wolf can be a challenge for one character. And the handcrafted world (which is in turn changeable by player settlements and so on) has plenty of secrets to explore. It feels far more real with no fast travel as well.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Except it's not finished and they will never deliver on what they promised cause they don't know how to vidya game dev.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SweetBro posted:

Except it's not finished and they will never deliver on what they promised cause they don't know how to vidya game dev.

Of course, EVE has been promising being able to walk around full stations for about five years

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Of course, EVE has been promising being able to walk around full stations for about five years

Now to be fair, didn't they just stop bothering to even promise it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SweetBro posted:

:thejoke:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
if you really care about exploring you could try elite, there's even a little map function that will tell you when you are the first filthy space nerd to discover whatever lovely planet out in the middle of nowhere that nothing will ever happen with.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So.. for sake of debate..

What's an MMO like Ultima Online with fast travel that isn't horrible like Darkfall...

Basically, I hate not being able to fast travel to log out... that's why I've avoided MMOs for the last 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Uhhhhhhhhhh...

• Locked thread