Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can this also be a "tell stories about old MMO nostalgia" thread? I really love reading stories about old DAoC or EQ from people who played then. Often they're about things I'd never want to do myself, but I still like the stories. EDIT: Actually, maybe I'll make a thread for that rather than posting my long-winded crap here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

You also mentioned low level teamwork. Nobody does that anymore because nobody cares about the pre max level content. The whole purpose of all of that is to get you to max level. It's better this way too, as long as the lvl 1-100 or whatever experience is enjoyable. The wow expansion Cataclysm went and redid all the low level zones and guess what? Nobody gave a drat because it turns out 99% of the player base are max level and want stuff to do at that level.

What is so annoying about this particular trend in MMO design is that it makes a huge portion of the gameworld into something each player only cares about once (while rushing through to max level) and then never really has a reason to see again. A lot of MMOs have tried ways to alleviate this (like GW2's level scaling and collection quests that send you back to lower-level zones) and it's never quite worked.

To me, the logical endpoint is to find a way to do away with leveling altogether. I have no idea how you'd pull it off, of course, but the idea of a level-less MMO where you progress more by getting good at the game, finding cool things, and getting cool stuff right from the start appeals to me a lot.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread