Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

newreply.php fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
needs deerfingers

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
bump

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

came here to post this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm cory doctorow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

As a Millennial I posted:

i'm cory doctorow

i'm the troll pair

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

i'm cory doctorow

probated as i was quoting, pro probation hail rotor

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i'm cory doctorow

lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
don't ever be cory doctrow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
cory doctrow - not even once

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
idk who that is so i guess im safe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Space-Pope posted:

stay safe space pope

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
User is cory doctrow. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Space-Pope posted:

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

stay safe space pope
thanks u too :)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Richard O'Keefe posted:

The other thing I notice (on the cover) is - a bearded squid - with only EIGHT tentacles instead of TEN

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Doctorow released another young adult novel, For the Win, in May 2010. The novel is available free on the author's website as a Creative Commons download, and is also published in traditional paper format by Tor Books. The book concerns massively multiplayer online role-playing games.

:ughh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
In the game, Matthew's characters killed monsters, as they did every single night. But tonight, as Matthew thoughtfully chopsticked a dumpling out of the styrofoam clamshell, dipped it in the red hot sauce and popped it into his mouth, his little squadron did something extraordinary: they began to win.
There were eight monitors on his desk, arranged in two ranks of four, the top row supported on a shelf he'd bought from an old lady scrap dealer in front of the Dongmen market. She'd also sold him the monitors, shaking her head at his idiocy: at a time when everyone wanted giant, 30" screens, why did he want this collection of dinky little 9" displays?

So they'd all fit on his desk.

Not many people could play eight simultaneous games of Svartalfaheim Warriors. For one thing, Coca Cola (who owned the game), had devoted a lot of programmer time to preventing you from playing more than one game on a single PC, so you had to somehow get eight PCs onto one desk, with eight keyboards and eight mice on the desk, too, and room enough for your dumplings and an ashtray and a stack of Indian comic books and that stupid war-axe that Ping gave him and his notebooks and his sketchbook and his laptop and --

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jonny 290 posted:

In the game, Matthew's characters killed monsters, as they did every single night. But tonight, as Matthew thoughtfully chopsticked a dumpling out of the styrofoam clamshell, dipped it in the red hot sauce and popped it into his mouth, his little squadron did something extraordinary: they began to win.
There were eight monitors on his desk, arranged in two ranks of four, the top row supported on a shelf he'd bought from an old lady scrap dealer in front of the Dongmen market. She'd also sold him the monitors, shaking her head at his idiocy: at a time when everyone wanted giant, 30" screens, why did he want this collection of dinky little 9" displays?

Not many people could play eight simultaneous games of Svartalfaheim Warriors. For one thing, Coca Cola (who owned the game), had devoted a lot of programmer time to preventing you from playing more than one game on a single PC, so you had to somehow get eight PCs onto one desk, with eight keyboards and eight mice on the desk, too, and room enough for your dumplings and an ashtray and a stack of Indian comic books and that stupid war-axe that Ping gave him and his notebooks and his sketchbook and his laptop and --
which zack parsons piece is this from

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
also why would they need "a lot of programmer time" for that, that seems like a trivial feature to implement

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

also why would they need "a lot of programmer time" for that, that seems like a trivial feature to implement

coca cola is a soft drink company, not a software comnpany, so evertyihngn took asln ot of time.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

Dongmen market

mods please

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bloody posted:

evertyihngn took asln ot of time.

same

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cory Doctorwho

Nope, can't think of anything worse :o:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Cory Dunkaroo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cory saintsrow

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm not cory doctorow anymore.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i'm not cory doctorow anymore.

glad to hear it, let's keep it that way in the future.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

quote:

Today I was in a hurry, walking down to my local subway station, the 16th and Mission BART, and, as usual when I'm too late to take Valencia, this took me past the cluster of drug-dealers who hang out on my corner, in the north Mission. I was wearing the groovy MiG goggles I'd bought last month in London at the Camden Market and have been using as shades, and this big drug dealer cornered me and started harassing me to try them on. Then he started rambling about what he does for a living, just talking a load of really boring rounder horseshit that probably sounds good and Elmore Leonardy when you say it to yourself in your head but just sounds banal and incoherent when you're standing on a corner.
He's a big guy and so I "let" him try on my shades. Then it transpires that he wants me to buy drugs from him in exchange for my goggles. I explain that I'm not in the market for drugs, but he won't give back my shades and he's talking more bullshit. Finally I say, "So, you're robbing me, right?" and more bullshit ensues. I repeat the question a couple times, then walk off.

I'm really pissed. Really, really pissed. I really liked those goggles and clearly this guy decided he wanted to just gently caress with me for the hell of it. Short of flying to London, I can't replace them, ever. (Update: an alert reader pointed out a mail-order site, so I've replaced them)

I could go to the cops, but here's the thing: if I do, he'll know who did it and he might shoot me.

If I don't go to the cops, though, I am going to walk past this guy twice a day for the rest of my tenure in this apartment and he's going to know that I'm a soft touch and I'm bound to be in for more harassment.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
serves that idiot right for going outside like some kind of "mr. outside person". what an asshat.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hahahahahhaha

pram
Jun 10, 2001
"So, you're robbing me, right?"

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i'm cory doctorow. just kidding

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

pram posted:

its a bad language

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

thanks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

osi double bean dip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

rotor posted:

don't ever be cory doctrow

infernal machines posted:

cory doctrow - not even once

Cold on a Cob posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

a lesson learned the hard way : a story in 3 posts

• Locked thread