Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, but once you start having to write essays and give speeches the teacher starts to iron out a lot of that stuff you won't actually use or at least gives you a much more gooder way to say it

it's those forced assignments that push the language skill further.

Probably true, but what I know is that 8 years of french lessons in the ontario school system (lol) and when I actually went to speak to french people, i'd agree with them by saying that equivalent of "I concur" instead of just "yah" and I was calling everyone vous like some sort of human being (not to get into the obvious fact that we learned France french despite the fact quebec is like a three hour drive away). Of course maybe this is bias from learning french in canadian public schools which teach the language in the most begrudging passive aggressive way possible lol.

Edit: Three weeks of hammering 500 words of spanish into my head with memrise and then spending a few months in south america got me as far in spanish as I got with several years worth of french classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

jackyl posted:

how has nobody pointed out that hitler literally spoke German?
He did not use it with grammatical precision. Rudolf Hess, his private secretary, supposedly carped endlessly about having to correct his writings.

Study up and you can deliver a posthumous and postmodern beatdown to him just by opening your mouth.

Cosmos
Jan 8, 2006

All that is or was or ever will be
You should have asked for Muzzy instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD9i39GENWU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Xlorp posted:

He did not use it with grammatical precision. Rudolf Hess, his private secretary, supposedly carped endlessly about having to correct his writings.

Study up and you can deliver a posthumous and postmodern beatdown to him just by opening your mouth.

Hatin on Hitler volume 267

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

No that's called actually learning the language as opposed to some travel phrases and poo poo
See the problem with learning languages is it's basically a black hole in terms of effort vs reward unless you're a non-English speaker learning that. If you're an English speaking American abroad just throw money at the filthy poors around you and don't give a poo poo about their dumb language
But don't spend $500 loving dollars on a glorified travel phrase pamphlet
austrians and (especially) the swiss speak a hosed up moon language, not german. also they actually are nazis

4 years of German, I can ask where the Bathroom is. The most important phrase in my book.

As for conjugating, sexed, nouns, I'm loving USELESS!

That I would pay good money to learn, from a native.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that depends can you already speak english

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Icantfindacitation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alemannic_German

they may try to fool you by writing in standard german, but none of them actually speak it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyN5bz1xaC0

seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo

edit: as for the naziism i need no citation

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 29, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

4 years of German, I can ask where the Bathroom is. The most important phrase in my book.

As for conjugating, sexed, nouns, I'm loving USELESS!

That I would pay good money to learn, from a native.

german sex ed is mostly just human sex ed with more poop and floggers, if that helps

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Steampunk iPhone posted:

duolinguo is free and just as effective (ie not at all)

it is a little effective

The benefit to duolingo is it has decent pacing, can be moved through rapidly, and works across devices, so you might actually use it regularly, whereas Rosetta Stone is so... loving... slow and is a clunky piece of poo poo regardless of the platform.

language acquisition is impossible however, learn math instead

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
I had a 74 year old German teacher born in southern Brazil (lol suspicious) for 6 months and learned enough to get by as a tourist. But I actually cared at the time.

I tried to learn Japanese from Rosetta Stone :files: but it was garbage. I mean complete garbage. I learned lots of Japanese with a study partner, both just studying from modern textbooks filled with amine, taking in 4 "semesters" in maybe a year.

Consider Japanese is a shitload harder for an english speaker than German.

Man I could go on and on about my German teacher. friend of the family knew 9 languages included dumb poo poo like Latin because he was a catholic human being. He also had a 40 year old Korean girlfriend that for reasons known did not look 40. Why? He spent 16 years in Korea for some dumb reason like nazi-persecution (NO SERIOUSLY HE SAID SOUTHERN BRAZIL WAS BEING RAIDED LIKE CRAZY FOR ANY GERMAN FAMILIES AFTER WW2 BECAUSE YOU KNOW NAZIS) so anyways he was a pretty cool little old raisin who taught me and two other white bastard assholes what the gently caress is up with german.

He also taught English to mexicans. This was a whole different style of teaching though. It's funny because going from English to German you only have to learn two or three new (very guttural) sounds but with Spanish speakers he had to begin with a lesson on vocals and how to pronounce the same vowel two different ways. Being an English/Spanish speaker this really opened my eyes. I was amazed by people's simple inability to just make different sounds on a regular and even predictable basis.

Really Japanese has all the same sounds as Spanish but German oh my no

Imagine being a barbarian during roman times saying pussy. That poo poo doesn't sound so cute.

So anyways after that I went searching for crazy things hard to pronounce and found some indian tribe with their own language with vowels or sounds or whatever that just sound like singing turtles.

There was a point to this somewhere.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
thats some good japanese you learned

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

gary oldmans diary posted:

thats some good japanese you learned

i like to think his textbooks were filled with noxious gases

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Das Klo ist an der Decke.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Giving any language the old college try is a waste of time. Either move there for 1+ years or give up all hope.

edit: Study before you move there too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I'm imagining your avatar using this as a pickup line in a German dyke bar and scoring so drat hard

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seizure Robot posted:

are you a neo-nazi op? be honest, and if not please explain why the gently caress you dream of learning german

To star in German Shizer videos, duh!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I tried a bootleg copy of Rosetta Stone to learn Russian, but after a few weeks I just got frustrated that I learned gently caress-all about how the language actually worked.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

I stand by Pimsleur

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Twitch posted:

I tried a bootleg copy of Rosetta Stone to learn Russian, but after a few weeks I just got frustrated that I learned gently caress-all about how the language actually worked.

i will 2nd the russian modules are 100% loving worthless.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah so I've talked about my desire to learn German for a couple years now but because I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat I haven't actually tried anything. On his own my dad just spent hundreds of dollars for the complete level 1-5 package as a gift and like an idiot I told him how excited I was and registered the serial number with him. So my question is how much of an idiot is my dad/me?

Daddy, ichbin Schwul.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
should have learned from muzzy

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Every civilized country makes their kids learn English so they can talk to us when we visit and do business so why bother learning another language when you already speak the best one?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

kevin trudeau's mega memory worked for me

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I took Spanish in high school and college and remembered some of it, but memrise is pretty tits. I've been using the app on my phone during spare time, and it's good so far. BUT...I have a foundation of Spanish, so that's not a good litmus test. I'll try the Italian next and see how well I do.

I wonder if there are any online skype-like things where you can talk with others speaking a different language and learn. Conversation is still the best way to learn. Except Puerto Rican Spanish, which I can't comprehend at all when they speak. They murder the language.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Every civilized country makes their kids learn English so they can talk to us when we visit and do business so why bother learning another language when you already speak the best one?

I see someone doesn't enjoy the benefits of illegal migrant labor.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alemannic_German

they may try to fool you by writing in standard german, but none of them actually speak it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyN5bz1xaC0

seriously what the gently caress is this poo poo

edit: as for the naziism i need no citation

Allemania dialects encompass German-speaking Switzerland and Vorarlberg in western Austria. Austro-Bavarian is a whole nother animal, but after living there for a year you get used to it as long as you have some groundwork in standard deutsch.

As for Nazis, everyone I met in Austria were bleeding heart liberals, so I unno :shrug:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

pepito sanchez posted:

friend of the family knew 9 languages included dumb poo poo like Latin because he was a catholic human being.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

I don't know op, no one wants to talk to you in english so I don't see why it would be different in another language

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Business Octopus posted:

Most language classes in an academic setting suck balls and teach you how to speak like a 100 year old posh human being in whatever language they're teaching.

that sounds kinda cool, I would learn to speak like the old posh human being and call myself Armando

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i got some use out of the korean version, though i already spoke a little korean and knew the structure/alphabet. it was primarily a nice way of building a vocabulary

• Locked thread