Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Figured I'd make a thread and see if anyone else found it entertaining, in the least I can use it to keep track of my own crap and ask dumb questions. In addition to my crap I often work on my friends late model cars in various states of disrepair. This summer after summer classes I am planning on working for my neighbor again who is a street rod builder, and trying to talk my dad into starting restoration on his 1968 RHD FJ40, and probably doing some body work on his brothers old 1981 Mercedes 280sl (with 38k miles) that had a tree fall on it. As well as all sorts of other shenanigans (boats, snowmobiles, whizzer I need to put together).

I have a:

1992 Toyota Pickup

I got t-boned and totalled out in it in the winter of 2011, fixed it by buying another "rust free" cab from wisconsin, grafted them together with my neighbor and drove it until last winter when I slid out on ice when living in Mankato MN (hilly area) and got a nice front side swipe that pushed my wheel back and totalled it out again, so I solid axle swapped it this summer in my buddies septic shop and fixed the body work in my parents garage this last holiday break. I have pictures of all that crap, some of which I'll add as I pull them off old dead phones.

Bodywork 1.0

SAS:
No one really mentions that any axle you get thats a reasonable price will need fully restored.

Alignment

Rear set up

Bodywork 2.0

For Spring:
-Put overloads back in rear springs and quit listening to guys on pirate4x4
-Better brake line mounting
-Loose ends tied up

For this summer:
-Bumpstops
-New tires
-Re-gear
-Front zip locker and rear lunchbox
-Winch
-Sliders

1984 Rx-7

Plans for this spring are:
-Fix screwed up ignition cylinder with parts off my parts car (no key right now)
-Fix paint
-Put on spare mirror after some rear end in a top hat broke it off
-Rats nest delete
-Keep running (130k miles on original 12a)

Long term plans:
-Gut and itemize parts car
-Get draw-thru turbo balanced and rebuild

1994 Volvo 940 SE Wagon

Plans for immediate future:
-Loop heater core so I can get it to where I live from my parents house
-Flush all the barrs out of it
-Get tags

Once in my garage:
-Heater core
-Timing belt/water pump
-Tune up
-Trans flush/filter
-Aux trans cooler
-Cluster solder reflow for gas gauge
-Boost gauge
-Manual boost controller

Future:
Normal volvo crap (3" exhaust, 15g, wideband, chip)

1998 Chevy K1500

ASAP:
-Fix door pins on passenger side and door linkage
-Put crappy radio in it
-Patch floor hole if I'm feeling froggy
-Clean up
-List on CL

frankentranny in chevy

I'm sure there is plenty more I will add as I think of it.

Hopefully there's at least a little interest in this, I wish I would have made a thread from alot of the old crap I did (4.3-5.7 vortec swap on my 1998 K1500 and welding the transmission for it back together from two pieces) but I digress.

e:made pictures not dumb

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I'm looking forward to more about the Volvo, RX7, and because Minnesota.

Really though, if you want to sell the brick to fund the Rotary--send it my way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those all look pretty practical to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Neat car choices. How's the FB in the snow?

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Really, really fun on account of no power and lsd, although I've only driven it once in the winter to get more gas for it so I could continue moving it in and out of the garage as needed. I got pulled over in the ~6 blocks to the gas station too cuz doriftu. It was an undercover and he just told me to quit being a "jack wagon" and also couldn't believe anyone still had an FB :cop:-"Haven't seen one of them arr x sevens up here since highschool!" . I don't drive it in the winter on account of being beer can thick, looped heater core, mag chloride and I drop the insurance to further dissuade myself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Car threads are cool, especially if you do car things in them. Subscribed.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Glad to see a thread after the snaps.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Snapchat's been teasing this truck for a while. I really like it!

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Really love the body work on the truck, it reminds me of those Russian picture threads of "Bought body piece, welding, CAR IS NEW AGAIN!"

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You bought a rust free cab from Wisconsin? I hope you got a chance to sample our tropical fruit, diversity, and alcohol-free lifestyle while you were here. You know, the other things we are equally famous for :haw:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Great looking rides BFJ. Looking forward to more pix.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

Wally Joyner posted:

Really though, if you want to sell the brick to fund the Rotary--send it my way.

I actually thought pretty hard about flipping it because it was $500 and pretty sought after in volvo circles, but after seeing the mountain of spare parts that went with it and driving it, it hit the soft spot my 240 used to. Except in the wagon I feel like I could safely merge onto a highway, :dance:AND CRUISE:dance:(never had save for rx7) so I think it's going to DD status. I feel bad about driving my truck in the salt so much.

Gorson posted:

You bought a rust free cab from Wisconsin? I hope you got a chance to sample our tropical fruit, diversity, and alcohol-free lifestyle while you were here. You know, the other things we are equally famous for :haw:

That's the joke! I couldn't find one anywhere though that wasn't rusty or was straight. Had a buddy headed to that General area for Christmas break (is Baldwin a place? I think that's where they got it, he's from Hudson). And it was Wisconsin-rust-free which means the doors are still whole and only one of the rockers completely rusted out (pass side which I didn't need) and any joint that wasn't seam sealed (cab wings the fenders hang from). I also gained a sunroof. I sent them with a wood crib made of 4x4s on my grandpas utility trailer and paid $300 for a Toyota cab with doors so all in all I got stupid lucky. I should find the pictures of that, it looked pretty goofy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

That's the joke! I couldn't find one anywhere though that wasn't rusty or was straight. Had a buddy headed to that General area for Christmas break (is Baldwin a place? I think that's where they got it, he's from Hudson). And it was Wisconsin-rust-free which means the doors are still whole and only one of the rockers completely rusted out (pass side which I didn't need) and any joint that wasn't seam sealed (cab wings the fenders hang from). I also gained a sunroof. I sent them with a wood crib made of 4x4s on my grandpas utility trailer and paid $300 for a Toyota cab with doors so all in all I got stupid lucky. I should find the pictures of that, it looked pretty goofy.

Hah yeah I figured the quotes around rust free were for sarcastic effect. Baldwin is a place, and it is by Hudson. I'm just east of there in Eau Claire. I'm actually very jealous of the truck, I love 80's and 90's Toyotas. Occasionally one will pop up for sale around here that someone drove from California, but if it has spent even one winter here it is done for. But, if it has a solid frame I will buy it and let the body turn into brown dust.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Been busy with school... lotsa crap to follow

brain vomit, I was going to categorize better but it got messy, it gets better towards the bottom

3 weeks ago went back to my parents house to get the Volvo which was nested nicely in the garage with my other junk.

After deducing that it was in fact just an alternator belt that was causing its "random dying issues" I bought a new belt, some coolant and a flush tee, oil etc. There was a guy there open carrying, not something you see everyday in Iowa:

All went pretty well except for the filter, whom must have been previously insalled by the hulk

took a better look at the free crap that came with the car: pretty sure its at least like $300 worth of stuffs

Ended up flushing my coolant down at my best friends shop, which is adjacent to :byodood:the meth heads:byodood:, should have taken pictures, 9pm at night in 10 degree weather and they were (mostly) shirtless inside the shop, a few banging on Chuck the owners lovely clapped out notchback mustang, Chris their "mechanic" slagging together mix match galvanized steel/pot metal shelf for chucks **NEW OFFICE**. A room built inside their shop from scrap wood, mismatched wall panel and found furniture. Which was already occupied by the boss, Chuck: feet up on his desk smokin foilies with a thumb size joint in the ashtray. As I have said to my friends before, he is white trash jesus, representing all his redneck staff aspire to be all the way down to the requisite shoulder length hair, harley boots, neon blue 70s gold wing and "bad mother fucker" wallet.

Anywho, after getting all the barrs leak out and checking/changing fluids, I was done with car stuff for the weekend, and mostly dicked around the rest of the weekend trying to see if I could get the car to break before I headed home. My friend who recently got a job selling used cars told me about a super clean vw bus that came in on trade. He wasnt lying:

My friend with the septic company also told me he had heard from another septic owner/operator that the toyota dealership had the cleanest old pickup he had ever seen. Again wasn't a lie:

30k miles, original tires, one owner, diesel, 2wd, some old farmer just brought it in on trade for a new tundra...

After that I jammed all of my tools in my volvo, partially to see if I could and partially because I didnt want my room mate to scratch the poo poo out of my truck which he was supposed to bring home the following monday.

The following weekend it snowed a shitload, and we made a lawn ornament:

I got lost in the basement of the physics building on campus where the digital computer was invented and found all sorts of old poo poo:

And helped out a little with baja sae (mostly destructive testing of brake rotor designs and putting seals in the new transmission case halves, which are in the picture, along with our new jigging table and jigs)

Then I went to a fleetwood mac concert with my girlfriend since my parents bought me tickets for my birthday (vday). It was loving awesome.

had never actually seen this in an arena setting, thought it was pretty funny since no one has lighters anymore.

following weekend I tidied up my garage a little because It looked like a bomb went off:

bought a cheapie :10bux: 48" shop light and it made a world of difference in the garage

finally got the winch on my truck, after looking at it a little more I noticed you cold move the relay box wherever you wanted (within reason) which was nice because It was top mounted on the jeep I bought it off of but that would have resulted in me hacking up mos of my grill so I got it moved over to the stator side or whatever you would call it and clamped it on

its kinda tight

so these fairlead bolts were total loving cunts

but it ended up going on as advertised, without completely destroying the aesthetic of the front of my truck which was nice

however I did suppose I should take a picture of the wiring to haunt kasteins ocd and remind myself I need to get an HF crimper and re-do all of my leads

This was really apparent TODAY as I was patching the wires to my O2 sensor that had melted on my header after the clip for them broke during the SAS and I kind of forgot about it until today, when my EFI fuse blew, on the road, in -22 degree weather. A new O2 should be here tomorrow. I will take pictures of the tape job when its in the garage, tape wouldnt stick to itself at all, just kind of crumpled it on with my hands and hoped.

Then I put my volvo in the garage with a dehu and heater after shopvaccing to try to get rid of some of the gallons of coolant on the floorboards

Now that I have my truck mostly together I decided to start pulling apart my volvo over a nice half bottle of lauders

So far it hasnt been nearly as bad as I thought it would be but Im sure that will change, although I am starting to see ducting and dried glycol, so I know I'm close (ish... I hope)

some other fun stuff:

Whizzer motor:

Period correct bike I want to put it on (since that collegiate was an abortion in a number of ways I will explain later):

ANNNND last but not least, some things I have been thinking about in order of seriousness:

1. I really am getting sick of not being able to merge on the interstate, let alone tow a trailer. There is some things to be said for the 22re (which I have a perfect mostly stock running example of) however power was never said in the same room as them, and even after completely building one, you still have an archaic 4 cyl. SO I have been thinking pretty hard about a :rice: 1uzfe swap, seems they are somewhat common down under, maybe ferremit (sp?) would have some advice, I used to drool at his hilux stuff when I was in highschool lamenting I would never be able to have a cool one in the US. They also sound somewhat durable, and stupidly cheap, (~$400 for a whole runner with accessories around here) which cant all be said about LS family (namely price) also 1uz's sound like sex straight piped, and I would be keeping it all in the family. And I could sell my running 22re for quite a bit if CL forecasts arent too off (which I dont think they are, as scrap yards around here have 22re's listed for PARTS ONLY at $400) plus I have a spare 22re so if I ever wanted to go back I could use my spare as a core and actually have my buddy port it and do a 3 angle on it and I could cam it and yada yada yada since the one I have DOES burn oil and I wouldnt put it back in my truck... (however I will disclose that if I sell it haha, not slf style... its not even that bad just like .5qt/750 miles)

2. Im putting a bull bar on the volvo, I just got a screamin deal on some hella fogs on lowrangeoffraoad, and theyre going straight on a moosebar something like this

However I do find something like this really sexy too:

but meshes and a bull bar would never work, which leaves me headed more towards this:

^^^so tell me how awful of an idea that poo poo would be^^^ (most serious about the possibility for a v8 swap, I want to do goofy hybrid turbos and stuff on the brick but for now it runs great and I kind of just want to drive it)

e:tables n stuff ee:made pictures not dumb

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 4, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

1UZ's DO squeeze into hilux's reasonably well- you end up having to run Electric fans IIRC and it is possible to marry up a man trans to them (99% of all lexus 1UZ's had auto's behind em)

Pity that the 1KZ-TE would be an absolute rare and elusive beast in the US- That drops straight in, looks factory and you get a comical amount of power and torque for 10L/100 of turbo diesel economy.

The 1UZ can also have a procharger bolted to it too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpjJI4vieXA

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm loving this thread already.

Particularly the Yota pickup and the Volvo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You won't regret that XRC8, I've been beating on mine for a while. The only thing that has failed was the solenoid pack and that's because I left it in the rain on my porch for a year thinking it was waterproof.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Cool, I didnt know you had an Rx7 too. Best year too since its the same as mine was :D

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That polar 245 is awesome and needs a lift and slightly larger tyres. Do that.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Ferremit, that looks fantastic, I think I will start piling parts this summer so I can do it next winter. You wouldnt happen to know anything about what people end up doing computerwise? I have been on lextreme a little bit but some of the posts concerning ECUs seem to be quite dated and the newer stuff all has to do with MS and other aftermarket set ups, which I think I would eventually end up on, but I would like to use the stock to start.

Kastein, I think it should be a pretty decent winch, I want to clean up the solenoids and reseal them as suggested here

Thanks sandbagger

Cakefool: I think thats where I will end up, especially after washing it up for the first time and seeing how dinged up it is, all straight but well loved, perfect for rallying out for logging road runs in n minnesota near my cabin (where they run the ojibwe rally)! At the very least I want to have my friend who is a talented painter put the polar bears on the peeling hood with one of them sitting on its haunches throwing something to the other (dont know what yet). And the bull bar is definitely happening in some capacity.

Anyone know what I can use for yellow gels for my hella fogs in the mail, $20 seems steep for a yellow plexi circle (so it seems from the images)

anywho! I got the heater core back together. Turns out the internet wasnt lying, it was a total pain in the dick, but not the worst mechanical adventure I have completed (although I cant remember what I would classify that as off the top of my head).

replacing fuses that I had robbed to replace my burnt efi fuse resulted in a WORKING INTERIOR CLOCK AND KEY BUZZER on my toyota, which I had never had (never really cared as to why I guess haha still on the fence about the buzzer)

I cheated a little bit and used my girlfriends tiny long hands to get the terrible bolts on the top:

What sweedish nightmares are made of:

these connectors are terrible:

moneyshot.jpg

While putting it back together I took the center console and other plastic crap and washed it in the sink, I cant believe the amount of sticky disgusting bullshit people put up with in their cars:

I guess I didnt take any after pictures of the interior but it turned out pretty spiffy, the (p?)leather took to a good cleaning pretty well and feels a hundred times less crispy now

And I got some great fortunes:

Then I washed the outside:

Pretty happy with it for a $500 car, Now I just need to figure out why the radio shuts off when I turn off the headlights, and why I cant adjust the power mirrors with the car running...

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Volvo was a fuse, have been scheming a lot lately about what to do with my current state of cars. I think I may have come to a conclusion: Sell the volvo to fund the rebuild of the front end of my chevy, half rear end some steel into the floor where its rusting out, new tires, change the angle of the oil pickup (long existing problem but not going to work for traversing mountains with crazy grades), and generally make it less lovely for DD status (like aftermarket cruise, don't know if anyone has experience here).

Reason being: My volvo is awesome and got it for cheap, but doesn't really fill any of my needs besides airbags and decent mileage, and can't tow a trailer, also parts for them are far less common than the chevy. However since the chevy is a half ton and the transmission has been exploded and welded back together once before (I need to find the pics of that somewhere) I plan on having to beef up the trans mount, and if that fails, start hunting for NV4500s or ask kastein the scrap lord to help a guy out, because they are extremely hard to find in Iowa.

Eventually would like to get some buckets for it yadayada but thats the plan for now: sell volvo, dump into horrendous shitpile Ive had since I was 16 and givurr hell, if I can find some takeoffs on CL those will be the new tires, I would like some boring a/ts cuz mileage. Also eventually (maybe even this summer if I can find them) regear, it still has the 3.73's in it from the v6 tow package.

IN ADDITION (later tonight):
-Bring everyone up to speed on what Ive been up to instead of posting mountains of pix, more explanations. (off road meet I'm prepping for next weekend, manual boost controller on the volvo, some suspension changes on my truck and a bunch of other poo poo I'm probably forgetting at the moment)

-Going to write up a long writeup of bodywork 1.0 (fixing the side impact from when I was t-boned).

:siren:TEASER:siren:

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 4, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

t, and if that fails, start hunting for NV4500s or ask kastein the scrap lord to help a guy out, because they are extremely hard to find in Iowa.

He has a chevy one that's been in the back of his loving forester for like 4 loving months now and is making the thing drag rear end worse than a dog with worms.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Slow is Fast posted:

He has a chevy one that's been in the back of his loving forester for like 4 loving months now and is making the thing drag rear end worse than a dog with worms.

Seriously, it looks like a hellafoz right now.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Gorson posted:

You must be a Berryweiss drinker from the east side of Madison completely committed to a 12 step program :P Rustfree exists! See my Z in archives as an example! (all lies)

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Walp, Ive been super busy with school (whats new) but in the intermissions I welded some bumpstops on my truck and wheeled the poo poo out of it. I found out a) its too long b) it has no traction with 2 open diffs and c) It needs bigger tires. This was all last saturday, where somebody also offered me an 86 pickup for free with 2 spare motors that I am hopefully snagging this weekend.

By some stroke of stupid luck I texted someone who flagged me down last fall on their cafe racer to look at my truck. He works at an axle shop and said he could get me a discount on gears. Turns out he's moving away in two weeks to go build toyotas out west for a major 4x4 shop, and has been trying to dump his runner... It has the gears I need the tires I wanted (with 1000 miles on them) and a :siren:ARB AIR LOCKER!:siren:. He is selling it to me for a fraction of his listed cl price because "I'm a toyota guy" In addition to this I am getting a running and driving 88 runner which I am giving to my best friend who gave me the shop space all through the SAS, and probably trading with the addition of my volvo for a truck of his (3/4 ton 98 GMC extended cab longbox). I am picking up the runner hopefully tomorrow or friday at the latest.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Got the runner, going to trade septic shop buddy the runner with my old tires and my volvo for his extended cab long box 1998 3/4ton GMC 4wd... HELLO CRAWLER HAULER AND COLD LONELY NIGHTS IN WALMART PARKING LOTS WITH MY TOYOTA IN A MOLDY SLIDE IN!

But to backpedal: the master boost controller on the volvo was kind of a pain. I got the manual boost controller installed and corresponding requisite cheap boost gauge, and couldnt get the car to make more than 6 lbs of boost. Foolishly thinking the spring was too weak (I bought a generic plumbing MBC off of amazon), I went to the hardware store and bought an assortment of similar diameter springs with varying spring rates. Nothing. Look under the car, turns out the wastegate isnt even hooked up! The pin that is supposed to hold the rod from the actuator on the wastegate was broken off in the hole and rusted solid in there. For a short while I tried to dremel out the piece, then debated welding a nut on, and then had an A-HA moment: I had just grabbed my METRIC tap set that had been out of my toolbox under my bed at my parents for months. I found an m6 (I think) that was close enough and gave her hell, it was a huge pain because of the cramped quarters, but not wanting to remove the turbo I just flipped the handle on the die ever ~100 degrees to realign with the "dimpe" that holds it in the tool. Luckily I got it on straight, and found that the nut fit kind of loose (was expecting this, starting with a smaller than "standard" diameter piece there was not enough metal to be cut to make full threads). But after some "modifications" to the bolt in the vise, red loctite and a little sand from the driveway in the loctite, it hasn't fallen off in the ~2k miles since I did it.

Then I took her (velma the volvo) out for a cruise and found some cool stuff in Ames:

A car I cant identify:

and some really nicely restored scouts from a scout shop here in town, I talked to the owner and he quoted me $150 for sliders. We will see if he ever gets around to it, otherwise when I move up to my cabin in a few weeks I will see if my new boss wants to split the cost of some 1-3/4"" dies with me.

For spring break I went on a ridiculously cheap ski-trip through my university and got to see my brother, fellow goon rubbersoul (on the right), who lives out there. There was some cool poo poo out there:

When I got back I bought a trailgear bumper off of facebook from a rolled truck so 1/2 the rocker guards had been cut off, but the price was right ($80)

Then I found a cheap cb setup from the local pawnshop (no cell service in the park) and installed bumpstops so I could go on my first actual outing:

Didn't take any pictures of the rear which I made myself as opposed to the front (didn't know proper angles and length, hindsight I definitely should've just done it myself), but its 7" of 2"x3" box with a 10ga cap, use your imagination.

Then I proceeded to wheel the poo poo out of it and smashed the everloving piss out of the rollpan, which is in preceeding posts. I did manage to get some videos from the weekend, I need to take more/have my buddy take more and use a better phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naarL-0RS2I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopvH_yxavQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPWdw_aFVE8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3GJ1BANcQ

and a funny picture:

I concluded that this summer while I'm painting the replaced fender and box side, I might as well bob it, like this:

and build some sort of tire carrier/tailgate flip combo.

I also learned open diffs arent very great, well I already knew this, but now I know more. Somehow while negotiating what type of locker to get I ended up buying this (as aforementioned):

Which already has a ziplocker and onboard air, as you can see in the pictures I promptly stole the tires off of it, and drove it back to my hometown for my buddy, when I am done with school in a week I will switch over/re plumb the air, but in the interest of still having 4wd and being able to get drunk af that weekend instead of working on old trucks, my truck has the 35's and 4.10s... It is a bit of dog right now. But my friend is loving the truck!

That same weekend we hauled my dads 91 sl300 to a euro specialty shop 100 miles east of us and then went 70 miles south to pick-up a :siren:FREE:siren: Toyota pickup that was offered to me at the last offroad meet if I hauled it away, according to the owner it was a 4wd 86 or 88 or something... turns out its a solid axled 84 that appears to have stopped driving when the frame rusted through (had already been previously patched TWICE). Surprisingly the current owner had the title for it, which belonged to a now deceased guy (neighbor) who bought it in 1986 with 14k miles on it, it has 156k now, and runs, and I am imagining the rest of the drivetrain is in better shape then mine, additionally it came with a spare 22r with a *new* carburetor his son had from previous toyota ventures, that they just wanted to dump. His kid also had a delorean (didnt run) got to sit in it, felt like a rocket ship. I wouldnt wish one of those on anyone. I gave the guy $100 so I felt better about the deal (he was selling possessions to cover the cost of parkinsons meds and "because Ill never get to them":( ) He also offered me a ford 9 for $100 which I have literally no use for but I might take him up on, if not to flip, then to hold onto, because eventually I want a fast car.

With all the wheels locked up and 3/4 of the tires flat, I had to jack it up, get every lug unseized and then somehow get it on the trailer (ended up taking a half ton truck to pull it and a quad pushing)... at 9pm, fun times.

We got it off the trailer with a chain fall in my buddies shop (seized wheels), this was all well and good except we hadnt quite perfectly lined everything up and the truck swung back from the now released tension from it being on the trailer and about punched a hole in the back wall of the shop, thankfully it didnt. We probably should have thought it through a little more, but I wanted to start getting poo poo done and get the axle pulled that night (fri) so I could bring it back to school to sell to my buddy with a samurai and not have to look at it the rest of the weekend. I stayed until 2am and almost got the axle out, at least got the super heavy flatbead off (which was providing 70% of the rigidity of the rear of the truck). When I left the treeguys were making lifesize chess pieces out of hardwood log rounds with chainsaws, when I came back saturday to finish pulling the axle at 9am... still at it :derp:

Additionally that day some guy came screaming past the shop in an old ford probe and about ran us over. After about hitting us my friend (owner of the shop) stepped out into the drive to confront the guy, who drove right around my buddy and partially boxed himself in (he was hosed up on something). Well, since my truck was hooked up to the rear axle to pull out from under the truck (once we cut all lines, leaf mounts etc), I jumped in and cut around the back of the guy fully boxing him... While dragging a toyota 8" behind me (tow strap in pic) which had gladly come out from under the truck under the increased duress. The guy then jumped out of the car and immediately started to take off his shirt (meth head for lets fight), then Corey (shop owner) walked around the corner of the bucket trucks we were in between. Seeing my friend, a state championship starting lineman in highschool, slightly changed his tone. Although he still proclaimed when told it was private property "I don't give a gently caress", in the same sentence as "I wasnt trying to start any trouble" and "I was only trying to get out of town". So he agrees to leave. We follow him towards the road but far enough back he cant see us (~80 yards), and he stops, still on private land. We again approached him and asked him to leave, he immediately starts charging my truck foaming at the mouth and red in the face, I throw it in reverse while Corey uncases my AR and slams a mag in it. We then are about 60 yards in front of him, holding him at gunpoint, when he sees an impala come screaming down the hill. Great, I figure, the cops are here. Wrong, its his friends or who the gently caress knows, whoever was chasing him, two guys in the car. One of the guys immediately jumps out and pulls our friend with the probe from his car and proceeds to start beating the poo poo out of him. Still confused (and still pointing a high powered rifle at them) I continue to yell at them to get the gently caress out of here... Then "Gorgeous George" (land owner, an 80 year old retired commercial catfisherman, with a range rover super sport) pulls up. Having been roused from his house (on the edge of the property) from all the commotion he approaches slowly, and as soon as I am within earshot he yells "bigfuzzyjesus should I call the law!?" :banjo: (gotta love those good ol boys). I yell back "YES!!!?!!", and literally as soon as the earpiece gets to the side of his head, our friends are in their cars headed down the road. We gave the plates to the probe to the sherriff, I hadnt been able to remember the Impalas, plates had been out of service for 3 years. They put an APB out for the two cars, but we never heard anything of it again, however George again told the cops (2nd time I've heard him say it this year, after a similar run-in), "if one of them guys gets in the house im gonna fuckin shoot him, I'm not waiting for you guy's, I'm shooting him". The sherriff assured George that that would be completely ok, and is his right, although he "hopes" we would call first... No one had ever heard of the guy, and the stolen plate was from two counties over. :psypop:

For the rest of the day we just tried to let our blood pressure return to normal and took off the top of the 4runner for the first time, and returned the u-haul I used for my mini trucking adventure the night before.

and swapped a few parts from the other truck onto his

But I did get my axle back to school:

and saw some other cool poo poo at home:

The good news is my truck looks fanfuckingtastic with the new tires:

and since I'm the luckiest bastard EVER, I picked up a nail first day on the new truck!

But the tire shop in town put a patch plug in it pretty reasonably I think for how big of a pain in the dick it is to deal with that big of a tire ($17, and I got to watch 2 people struggle on it)

Then I went to visit a guy I met in the town over and buy some old enkeis off of him, they are the ones that were on the top of the line trucks in the 80s, like this:

I think I am going to get them powdercoated bronze or gunmetal.

The shop hes at is an old school gymnasium/auditorium, which I thought was kind of cool

Then I went mushroom hunting, and only found a few, but I found a pretty cool '28 (I think) Ford with a tree grown through it

And finally, my friend whom I pulled the rear axle for, came and bought it from me, I though his truck/trailer combo was pretty cute/neat:

Finally finally, I was out in about in town and a euro/restoration shop in town had a Testarossa out front, which in addition to a Diablo has been the unobtanium-dream-super-go-to-cars for me since I was 8 and would sketch pictures of them. It was really cool, however I dont think I would fit in one. They also suprisingly HAD A DIABLO in the shop, when I walked around to the bay door because I heard conversation I about poo poo, I asked the owner how often he has 2 of the top 90s supers in his shop, and he replied "youre looking at the first time here". He was really nice about letting me look at it, the engine bay was popped, and immaculate, but because it still had plates on it and was inside the shop getting worked on I felt like it would be rude to take a picture, vs the testarossa which had obviously been parked out front on purpose. The Testarossa had a pretty intersting CD in it, anyone want to venture a guess to the artist? I couldnt decide if it was a great troll or what was going on.

I'm fairly certain, save for the things I cant remember right now, that now the thread is up to date, I still have tons of stuff that I already did that I want to do writeups for (mainly body work) and will be starting work this summer at a hot rod restoration shop at the end of may, dude is a wizard with metal. Swedish wheel, pull max, and a bunch of other incredible tools that hes an expert with. I plan to learn as much as I can and take as many pictures as I can.

e:cant forums right

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 4, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I went over to that shop a week or two ago and checked out the Triumph Stags. Pretty neat shop.

Where did you go for wheeling? I would like a place to take the Rovers out to piss oil on every thing.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where did you go for wheeling? I would like a place to take the Rovers out to piss oil on every thing.

"Bender Park"- private land that the bender family lets people wheel if they sign a death waiver, owner was there all day without a truck loving people breaking their poo poo on his land. It's near Knoxville, supposedly close to MIOBI although I've never been, so how close I can't say. You should come to miobi with me and check it out, I got a winch and can drag you and I through whatever hahaha.

I forget how many Iowa goons there are... We should have a meet up

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

A car I cant identify:

Simca 1000, a little French beast. You should get it.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

steady posted:

Simca 1000, a little French beast. You should get it.

Hahaha it's so ratty, pretty cheesy, a 6.5 maybe on the sockington. Why do I want this?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Hahaha it's so ratty, pretty cheesy, a 6.5 maybe on the sockington. Why do I want this?

It's what you've always wanted, you just weren't brave enough to admit it to yourself yet. But you took a picture of it, and shared that picture with us.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Well deal fell through working for my neighbor, he got bottlnecked with finish work since a buncha people changed their minds last minute and since I cant be much help there Ive just been staying busy with my own poo poo, taking 8 credits of online classes, and mowing yards/odds and ends for family friends (boats & docks). He still has some poo poo he wants me to do (get the bbc I built for him 3 years ago at the tech, running, and gut some of his projects but honestly Im kinda fed up and I have my own poo poo).

On the move up I smoked the 4L80E in the 1998 2500 GMC (named Nana, as in "POOR Nana!") I traded a buddy for on 494 in the cities. Between all my worldly possessions in one truck and pulling my toyota on a double axle hd tilt trailer things got a little slippy. I need to find another junkyard trans for it so I can get to CO.

Heres some pictures of it before I went to the Winnipeg Folk Fest when I was trying to make it look less "methy" with the help of junkyard parts. Still got torn down on the way back in:

Did see a nice jeep up there though:

I set up the 5.29s in Iowa before I headed north:

I pulled the knuckles/birfs using the "camo" method, since I martacked the shafts when I originally did all the junk it worked pretty nice.

and went through a tube:

I finally got the air locker plumbed in my truck after setting up the front with 5.29s then promptly ripped out a brake line on a stump while driving over a freshly clear-cut logging area that I admittedly should have been driving in. Made it 8 miles home with a crimped brake line mostly engine braking, then fixed all the air system leaks in time to burn out the cheapo HF compressor I got with the system.

Honestly I've just been busy trying to keep all the boats running and my plethora of lovely cars. Like this windshield I fixed on my moms boat (wish I had before pics, previous caretaker left a tarp on in a rain storm and collapsed the d/s windshield after pulling out the top crossbeam's screws). All you can see is where I drilled out the plugs, some gorilla glue, and the chunked piece from the incident, I wish I had a pic of the sketchy clamp setup too haha Ill ask my mom:

she humored me by taking me to the hardware store in my truck:

I still need to put the new PUMA compressor I got in my toyota, additionally I need to rebuild the cardan joint on the frond d/s, its gotten really clunky. After that and sliders (need to make at neighbors) and new trans in the 2500 I should be ready to wheel in CO where my brother lives.

I parked next to my uncles 29 roadster to make it looks small:

I found out that my rears rub if I flex hard enough because after getting on the bumpstop the frame continues to give:

So I need to do something about that, maybe flip the rear springs for a bob and get the centerline better, I definitely want to get the fender painted still this summer but I don't think I will do the bed on account of cracking all my stich welds from december with the tires and the rear roll pan and wanting to bob it.

Theres a buncha other poo poo I did that I took some pictures of that I dont really have the motivation to post, namely a cb install, compressor plumbing and wiring, and I'm sure some other poo poo.

Annnnnd I still need to gut and scrap my parts rx-7 and re glaze the windows on the previously uninhabited for 1.5 decades cabin I'm living.

I think think thats all
gently caress

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

The Testarossa had a pretty intersting CD in it, anyone want to venture a guess to the artist?

Eurythmics.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Eurythmics.

Hillary Duffs self titled album.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Hell of an update!
Cool rig! My buddy has a first gen sr5 4runner. We're supposed to Megasquirt it soon, then drop a 2.4l dohc motor from the later tacos.

That Ford roadster, so awesome!

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

mafoose posted:

Hell of an update!
Cool rig! My buddy has a first gen sr5 4runner. We're supposed to Megasquirt it soon, then drop a 2.4l dohc motor from the later tacos.

That Ford roadster, so awesome!

Lemme know how that swap goes, Ive toyed with the idea quite a bit, and always resign myself to the fact that although the 22re is gutless, its reliable.

He built it entirely from scratch, bought an aborted project of a fiberglass car from an older sick guy in town, found out everything was really lovely the more he dug in, and now the only parts he didnt touch from that original body/setup are the doors haha, the frame is a 70s c10 frame he jigged on I beams and cut notched formed and boxed to what it is now. First major car project I ever saw that came to fruition and really showed me you could build whatever the gently caress you want, since my old man would be hard pressed to change his own oil.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

These are somewhat impractical too, but that's ok. Toyotas!

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus

MasonF posted:

These are somewhat impractical too, but that's ok. Toyotas!

I dont even know if I would fit in one of those at 6'4" but I do lust after them haha, just tonight on campus I saw someone doing deliveries(!) in what looked to be an absolutely mint white one, a rarity for sure in Iowa.

In other news so my thread doesnt get archived Ill tell you about what I did over the summer and try to catch up to now!

I didnt get as much done on CARSSS because I was doing lanscaping and work around the cabin for the folks, hauled ~15 tons of rock with the piece of poo poo Toro "dingo" (420lol) that loved to pop tracks. Winch was hand for dingo maint and pulling stumps.

The end result was worth it though. I need to find a "before" of the boat house.

Fixed the windshield on the '60 Thompson with my uncle (used his cabinet maker trick of toothpicks and gorilla glue so we could re use stripped holes thought that was kinda neat)

Somehere in there my sister randomly ran into a trans-continental rally one day when out to lunch

Once done landscaping I had to blast back to Iowa and jam all my poo poo into a friends shop for ~24 hrs so I could move into a different apartment, what a pain in the dick.

Then my friend from the tech that builds motors in Jimtown ND came to the cabin to get the FJ40 motor for a rebuild and helped me gut that and start on the mazda in exchange for mazda parts for his fb he plans on doing a ls+turbo in.

He came to pick up the motor and car parts in this:

2nd owner ~70k mile truck he repainted and 383 swapped in hs, runs high 13s.

The only relatively flat piece of concrete on our property is down by the water, so thats where the gutting happened. My mother was gone.

Thought it was neat how the front clip dropped out of the way. Now it is at the shop of the guy who taught me how to do body work, awaiting a new tub.

I also gutted the mazda, kept the whole drivetrain and doors and glass gave tyler alot of interior. Some how hosed up pulling the windshield and a clip cracked it on teh way out god loving DAMNIT half the reason I wanted the car irritates me now just typing this haha. I wish I would of taken a picture of it on the rack when they torched out the rear for me. There was no car left. after their labor and me taking all the wheels I called it even with the scrapyard owner if he just took the chassis.

Then I went and sheared a bunch of brake lines (again) and ripped up air hose on clear cut land in the state forest (and had mike the guy that originally painted my truck shoot the fender I urethaned for a case of beer)

Then packed up all my worldly possessions including the family dog and sister into my non a/c truck for a 9 hour ride home... poor nana. I got my toolbox from when I was in school home thought which was awesome.

Then came home to some japcrap my friend procured for me:

A 1977 DT250. He paid way more than I am, and it leaks ~.5qt of crankcase oil every ~30 mi from a cracked shifter snout. But I told him I would buy it, and heard about the problems later... Oh well it starts on the first kick and is street legal.

EDIT:

Coming up in no particular order: building rock sliders, getting my rekeyed ignition back into the flipping mazda and getting it back together. Lots of deferred maint on the GMC, DT work, and more stuff on the toyota which is seemingly never done including the story of how I went to the Iowa Jeep show and though I broke everything and am kind of a dummy!

BigFuzzyJesus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 19, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just JB weld the case, problem solved. Nice bike, i have been in the market to get one myself lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

I dont even know if I would fit in one of those at 6'4" but I do lust after them haha, just tonight on campus I saw someone doing deliveries(!) in what looked to be an absolutely mint white one, a rarity for sure in Iowa.

You would be amazed how much interior room aw11 mr2's have. I am 6'2" and didn't even need to put the drivers seat all the way back on the ones I used to have.

• Locked thread