Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am and have been requested to do some consulting and small logistics/operations management for a few larger companies (not competitors), with enough interest that I want to give it a go on the side. If it blossoms and I can do it full time? Awesome. But in the meantime, I'm going to keep my current job and pick and choose projects/consultant requests.

So.

I will be obtaining a business license (likely an LLC, S corp unless someone can talk me out of it), federal EIN, business bank account. I will need to claim a vehicle (plus associated expenses), cellular phone, laptop, and a few other items as business expenses.

Questions:
1) It will be in my wife's name with one employee: Me. How do I pay myself in terms of the business? What about income taxes for her? Is it even worth putting in her name just for the possible future benefits of "minority owned" business?
2) Since it will be me, is an LLC, S corp the right way to go? I expect revenues the first year to be about 20,000 USD.
3) Any recommended small business accounting software for invoice generation, paying myself, and taxes due to Uncle Sam?

Any advice in starting what is a one man consulting business would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
I'm curious why you are considering structuring this as an S Corp. For simplicity, I think a single-member LLC would be a good way to set up your small consulting business, at least in the beginning. This would solve your "how do I pay myself" question, since everything would get reported on your schedule C. If you are going to continue working at your current job, you can fill out a new W-4 and have them withhold more if you don't want to worry about sending in quarterly tax payments.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
There should really be a consulting megathread. I am fairly new to this world myself; otherwise I'd write it up right now.

• Locked thread