Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

In the meantime, I have Archives, if anybody wants me to dig up a particular story for them. I love this sort of poo poo.

I do! I think I've requested this story before in an earlier thread, but I can't find it or my request post now.... IIRC, this guy was sitting on his bed in his dorm or apartment one evening with the bedroom door partially open. At some point, he became aware of a hand curled around the edge of the door. As he's sitting there, looking in disbelief at the hand, this ghastly old woman suddenly peeks her head around the door and stares at him. The guy naturally freaks out and somehow manages to run past the old woman in the doorway and gets outside, when he realizes he didn't bring his keys with him and has locked himself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
This one? Don't know who it belongs to though.

unknown_goon posted:

I was lying in bed, listening to Dark Side of the Moon and reading a physics book. That's the only album I can listen to and still focus on something else, since I've heard it so many times. I was really struggling through a section of the book that was a bit over my head, so I ended up reading a few pages over and over. I started to lose my concentration, probably due to fatigue, and suddenly I felt like I was just looking at the words rather than reading them.

Something grabbed my attention out of the corner of my eye, but I didn't immediately see anything. I figured I was just looking for a distraction. I could hear the music again too. Tension crept up my spine, sort of a "too much coffee" feeling.

I tried to get back into the book for a bit, but all I could hear was the music, and I kept feeling like something was moving and I just could catch it in time. I had to take the headphones off - I needed to be able to hear my surroundings. I was very uncomfortable.

I usually throw my bath towel over my bedroom door since it never dries in the bathroom. When I go to bed, I also close the door a bit to block out some sounds from traffic and things. Not all the way, just most of the way.

I was in fight or flight mode, with no reason I could figure out. Just lying in bed, holding a book I couldn't even read, headphones buzzing away on my lap. I started looking around my room hoping to find a fly, or a spider or something just doing its business somewhere. That's probably what I saw, I figured.

Then I saw it. Sticking out from under the towel hanging from the door was a hand. Four fingers wrapped around the edge of the door, exposed just enough to be visible, but in a bit of shadow caused by the towel. I obviously wasn't prepared, and froze for a while while I was trying to think of a plan.

How long had this person been in my apartment?

Should I say something, or...do I have something I can use as a weapon? What do they want?

I had an iPod, a book, a pair of glasses and a plastic water bottle. Maybe my lamp could be used as a weapon, but if I grabbed it - if I could even get it unplugged without making a commotion - it would be pitch black.

Then it got a lot worse. I realized I couldn't see any part of a person under the door, through the back where the hinges are. It didn't *really* matter, but it bothered me more. I couldn't size the person attached to the hand up at all. There's only one way out of my apartment and it's through that door, past someone that...has at least one hand. That's all I knew.

I was still frozen. Hadn't dared to make a sound or a movement since I saw it. Could I open the window fast enough and jump out? It's a second story apartment, but I don't think it would kill me. I didn't know what was down there but it didn't seem like a bad idea.

I started to lean very slowly to my left, giving me a slightly better angle behind the door. I got to the point where I could almost see the door frame, and there was still nothing. Not even a shadow from the light passing under the door. But the hand was still there.

I weighed the possibility of someone playing a prank on me. I work from home and was there all day, but maybe...

Still leaning over about as far as I could without really moving, I started to pull the covers off so I could either get up and run out the door or at least back into the other end of the room and grab a candle holder I had in my closet. I hadn't really decided.

Then there was a thud on the floor. My iPod fell off the covers.

A woman's head popped out around the edge of the door, along with another hand. She had black eyes, black hair and looked right at me. She didn't make any noise, but I sure as hell did. I jumped off the bed and grabbed the candle holder, doing my best to keep an eye on the door area. She was still there, just looking at me, head moving a little bit.

I threw the candle holder at the door and hit the thin edge near where the hands were. The glass in the holder shattered, the frame fell to the floor, and nobody was there. I immediately hit the light switch by the door, pushed the door open all the way and flung the towel on the bed. Two seconds later I was outside.

After a minute to collect myself, I turned each light in my apartment on as I made a quick sweep. I grabbed my unloaded 9mm from it's case on my way by. My apartment is very small, there's nowhere to hide, other than the standard "behind the shower curtain" or "under the couch" type of places. I was reasonably satisfied that nobody was in there after at most a minute. There just couldn't be.

I came out of the bathroom, holding my gun up like it was going to do something, and went to have a smoke outside. I was shaking a bit, but felt pretty safe outside. The complex I live in is on a major street, people are always awake somewhere, and it's pretty well lit. I stood out there, against the railing, staring into my apartment.

The front door had a key in it. I have two keys to my apartment, the one on my keychain, which I could see in the little basket I keep just inside the door, and the one my neighbor has. This one was gold, while the only two I've ever seen are silver. I grabbed it, sat inside with all the lights on, and just thought about what happened.

When I went to grab my phone out of my bedroom, I decided to toss the towel into the hamper. It was soaking wet. The whole bed was wet from the towel. I had taken a shower at 7am, and it was about 1am by that point.

I did not sleep at all that night.

The next night I couldn't even try.

Friday night, I was invited to hang out with some friends. As I was leaving, I noticed something was under my doormat. It was a pile of keys, ten to be exact. All of them worked in my door. I don't know when they showed up.

I made a point of getting way too drunk that night to even consider coming home. I passed out on my friend's floor. I was so tired that it still felt good.

Locksmiths apparently charge more to change locks or any other housecall on Saturdays, but I changed my locks. No more keys have shown up.

Still haven't slept in my own bed except for an hour or two when I literally just pass out.

I'm moving next month, but I don't know if I can last that long. What the hell was that in my house? Who was the woman behind the door and what did she want?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yes it is, thanks!

That story freaks me OUT. I can picture it happening so vividly, especially the woman's head popping out from around the door. :ohdear:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, here's some :wtc: for you all. First of all, I'm willing to believe that maybe this was all just some viral ad campaign for the android app this woman was using. Who knows? What I do know is that this is creepy.

Original link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghosts/comments/1u894f/experience_using_sleep_as_android_app/

I'd quote, but there are too many links in the post. The long and the short of it is this woman uses an app to listen to herself sleep, to possibly improve it (maybe to prove sleep apnea, or something like that). She had been using it for months when one day, she listened back to a recording, and there was a part that had her voice, amidst a series of unexplained clicking, ask 'What are you doing?' (she doesn't remember being awake that night), and another voice that not hers or her 3 year old's, say 'Nothing'. A few seconds later, it almost sounds like someone says 'it's them'.

Apparently, this woman only lives with her 3 year old, and no one else. You know... assuming this is true, I would find this less creepy if it was actually some sort of ghost or spirit than if it was a very weird home invasion.

People are far more terrifying than the paranormal.

This reminds me of a story I read some years ago. I don't think it was here, but maybe I can jog someone's memory because I've been trying to find it. A guy breaks up with his girlfriend and starts recording himself sleeping to see if he's sleepwalking or something. Instead, he hears a man and a woman talking about looking at him as he's asleep. The rest of the story is about this guy going nuts trying to figure out what's going on, and it has a great ending.

Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Remind me again who is the guy that went to a haunted cult college in Osaka, Japan? I really wanna read up on that school's campus.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Always loved these threads. Don't have any personal stories but I have one to share.

Back in elementary school we had Old Folks Day. It was a day where various old people would come by and have different things set up to show us how things were done back in the day.there was one guy that would come by every year and tell us stories. You might recognize him; his name was Hal Lynch. He always had some hosed up slightly scary story to share even though this day was always in like March or April. This is a story he told back when I was like in 2nd - 3rd grade so its been a while to say the least but here we go.

Why You Dont Open Your Windows During a Rainstorm

In the early 1800's there was a well off family that lived around Hron Hill community. One night thr husband and wife were invited to a party a town over so they would be out late due to a storm that was coming up. They told their eldest daughter to make sure his brother and sisters are put to bed early amd to not let anyone in. Hoping to scare her into behaving they told her of a monster that comes out during storms to kidnap children so she was instructioned to keep the doors closed and the shutters locked. Not long after they the storm started coming in. The daughter took care of her siblings; cooking, bathing, putting to bed. After all was done she readied herself. By this time the storm was in full effect. Wind howling, lightning flashing, thunder crashing, and rain beating down. She was sitting in the reading room when she started heating a slight knock on the shutters. She first dismissed it as the wind but it soon grew in intensity. Ignoring her parents words she went to see what disturbing the shutter. What greeted her when she opened the shutter was something from her nightmares. It had slick fish like scales covering its body, two long arms ending in razor like claws and its face was like a fishes contorted to mimic that of a person. As she let out a scream the creature snatched her up and took her away. When her parents made it home all the found was a puddle of rain in the floor and scratches on the shutters and windows. A search party was made and they looked all over for the missing girl but no trace was ever found. A few weeks later a man was fishing at a local swimming hole and he felt something tug on his line. Thinking it was snagged on something he looked into the water. He saw the missing girl and the creature. The gurl was trying to pull up on the line to escape the water.

Sorry bout the formatting and all. Like I said its been 20 plus years since ive heard it. Been told theres a book of his stories at the local library so I'll have to grab it an transcribe it sometime.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This isn't my story, but it's pretty drat creepy. Honestly, it was probably just a campfire story kinda thing, but here goes.

When my dad was in the army, one of his buddies was Navajo, and had grown up extremely poor on a reservation. He had something like six brothers and sisters, and all of them slept together on the floor of their cabin. One night my dad's friend woke up out of a sound sleep to see a strange woman tiptoeing silently between their sleeping bags. She got to one of his little brothers and kind of crouched over him, whispering or singing something. Dad's friend must have let out a gasp or something, because the woman looked up at him, smiled sadly, and put a finger to her lips. He passed out almost immediately, but not before noticing that she was very beautiful, with long, shiny black hair and a loose white dress that seemed to glow in the dark. When he woke up, he vividly remembered it, but passed it off as a dream. However, within a week, his little brother, who had been a perfectly healthy kid, contracted a terrible fever and died. He said the woman, whoever she was, hadn't seemed malevolent in the least, but he never slept too well after that.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
I had a really scary experience last night, so I wanted to come and post about it. Laying in bed last night trying to sleep reminded me of a couple more freaky things that have happened in the last few years, so I'll tell them all, in order of most mundane to least mundane.

Some backstory: My fiance's father passed away unexpectedly a few years ago. I never met him--he had a sustained a brain injury several years before I met my fiance Steve, and Steve had a really hard time dealing with the fact that his father was no longer the same man personality-wise after his accident. Their relationship suffered, and they began to see each other less and less. In an attempt to keep in contact with his son, my would-be father in law would occasionally pop by the house out of the blue. When we were first dating, Steve was having a party in the backyard of his (now our) house. We are all sitting out on the back deck, when we see the shape of a man in the patio doors obscured by the curtains. It was Steve's dad. Steve jumps up to go talk to his dad, and tells him this isn't a good time for a visit. Steve for whatever personal reasons doesn't want to introduce me to his father at this point, and eventually his dad leaves. This was one of the last times Steve ended up seeing his dad, and seeing his dad through the curtain was the closest I ever got to meeting him.

When he passed, Steve took it very hard, as he felt immense guilt over pushing his injured father away over the years. He has also said that one of his biggest regrets in life was not introducing me to his father that day. His sister very much believes in ghosts and the fact that her father visits her and watches over her; however, Steve and I are both scientists, and don't really believe in any of this stuff. Although maybe now that we've had some strange experiences in our house, I'm starting to not be so sure...

Steve's Birthday:

It was a fairly cold December day, and also Steve's birthday. I had the day off, but unfortunately, he had to work. I spent the day puttering about the house, getting excited for Steve to get home so we could have some birthday drinks and go out for a nice supper. At this point, Steve and I are engaged, and I've been living in the house with him for a couple of years. We tend to work opposite shifts, so I am frequently home alone, and nothing strange or noteworthy has ever happened to me before. However, this day was different. All day long, I've had this feeling that someone was watching me. Every time I turned my head, I could swear that I see something out of the corner of my eye...something like a faint black shadow of a man. I can never get a glimpse of what it is, but it is accompanied by the feeling of being watched. Every time I think I see him, all the hairs on the back of my arms and neck prick up, giving me goosebumps. And the doors...both the patio and front doors. Every time I happen to glance at the door, I swear I see the corner of some dark shadow slipping away. It feels as though something is watching me through the doors. But whatever it is, it doesn't feel menacing or evil. I sense that it is just snooping on me. Actually, it feels like it isn't interested in me at all. Rather, it feels like it is waiting for someone or something....waiting for Steve to get home?

I try to ignore the feeling. Eventually, I go upstairs to take a shower. While I'm showering, the light turns off. Then turns back on. Then starts to flicker for a second. I've never before seen the light flicker like this, and while I am sure in my mind that its just a tiny power outage, after feeling like I've been watched all day, I start to freak out a little bit. I scream "Get the gently caress out of here!" at whatever I think is out there. The light stops flickering. All of a sudden, the shower curtain starts to move as though someone is running their finger along it from the other side of the curtain. I begin to freak, and immediately jump out of the shower. Obviously no one is there, and both the window and the bathroom door are closed, so it wasn't some stray wisp of wind. At this point, I am completely freaked out, even though I don't get any bad vibes from whatever is out there. More like....curiosity.

A few hours later, I've been able to calm myself down a bit. Nothing much has happened since the shower incident, and I don't really feel like the shadow man is watching me anymore. I go back upstairs to put on my makeup so that when Steve finally gets home, we can get the gently caress out and go for dinner. I put my iPod on the docking station downstairs so I can listen to music as I get ready. It is an old-school iPod shuffle, the kind that only shuffles when you shake it physically. It makes a bloopidy-bloop sound when it shuffles that is unmistakable. Some song is playing, when all of a sudden, the song stops. I hear my iPod shuffle itself. At maximum volume, it starts blaring a new song--which happens to be the intro to some rap song that is literally only gunshots and screaming loud police sirens. At this point, I lose my mind--is someone actually in the house, or did my iPod pick itself up off the docking station, shuffle itself, and put itself back on? Its freezing cold outside and I have really no where to go, so I scream "Stop loving with me! Steve will be back home soon!". After that, nothing. No watching feeling, no nothing. Steve eventually gets home from work, we go out for dinner, he is thoroughly freaked out by my story, but that's it.

Screamin' Steve:

This next story takes place I think several months, even possibly about a year after his birthday story. Because we have very different work schedules, Steve is generally an early to bed, early to rise kind of guy, whereas I generally like to stay up late whenever possible. One very ordinary day, Steve goes up to bed around 9 o'clock. I stay up late watching tv and loving around on the forums. Out of nowhere, I hear Steve screaming bloody murder from upstairs in our room. He is screaming "GET OUT OF HERE" again and again. Something about his voice loving sent chills up my spine instantly, and I immediately realize that he is not simply shooing our cat out of our room. His voice just sounds so wrong....strangled, cold, full of a primal sort of fear. I immediately book it upstairs into our room, where I see Steve out of bed, standing in one of the corners of our room looking at the ceiling, screaming and waving his arms furiously. He turns to look at me when I enter the room, and his face is pure terror. He is extremely confused. He says he woke up screaming and crying...and when he looked up, there was some sort of black shadow cloud hanging from the ceiling in the corner of the room. He immediately jumped out of bed and started running, flailing towards it. That was when I came in--and the black shadow cloud immediately disappeared as soon as I opened the door. Needless to say, I didn't even go back downstairs to turn off the lights and tv...we spent a very sleepless night huddled together under the blankets in the guest room. Steve has never had any sleepwalking episodes before, not even as a child. He never even really talks in his sleep. I would say that his sleepwalking has never happened again either, but... I'm still not exactly sure what happened last night.

Something in the Hallway:

Cue last night's story. Once again, Steve has gone upstairs to sleep early. He is working this weekend, but I am off. Since it's a low-key Friday night for me, I decide the best way to spend it would be to get really high and catch myself up on both the unsettling/creepy stories thread, and this thread. Eventually, its about 3:30 in the morning. I had just finished reading this thread, and especially the creepy old lady hand in the dorm room and Crow Jane's Navajo death story were in my head and rattling me just a little bit. I putter around the house, turning off all the lights and getting myself ready for bed while trying to be as quiet as possible so as not to wake up Steve. Our house is very much not soundproof--from downstairs, I can hear pretty much everything going on upstairs. If Steve rolls over in bed, I can hear it. If he goes to the bathroom, I can hear it. I am still downstairs at this point. Our house has quite a large main level, with our master bedroom, my bathroom, and the guest bedroom all upstairs, connected by a very short and narrow hallway. I sneak upstairs as quietly as I can. The door to the master bedroom is extremely loud and squeaky, so I always have to be very slow and careful sneaking in late so I don't wake him up. I've turned off all the lights, and its very dark. My eyes haven't quite adjusted yet, but I see the outline of my little cat waiting for me at the top of the stairs. I give her some good night pats and kisses, and coo at her a little bit. Then I slip ever so quietly into the master bedroom, and get into bed beside Steve. Suddenly, I hear the bedroom door banging in its frame--like something is ramming it from the outside to try to get in. The doorknob turns, and the door creaks open about a foot. I'm a little scared, but I figure its just my silly old cat trying to barge in for more kisses. I get up to shoo her out and close the door, when I realize its not my cat at all. Standing in the hallway, right outside the door, is the outline of a man. I can't make out anything, but there is clearly a man-shaped shadow standing right in front of me. I slam the door, and jump into bed under the covers, not knowing what I just saw. To my absolute horror, the door starts banging again in its frame...the knob turns, and the door opens. I feel like I am about to die, and I scream "What the gently caress!" . At this point, I hear Steve say "Genetic Knockout?" from outside the bedroom. I realize that it was HIM standing in the hallway in front of the door. But why the hell was he in the hall? I definitely thought he was in bed with me when I got in the first time. When did he leave? I was downstairs the whole night, and would have heard him leaving the bedroom to stand creepily in the hall. How did I not see him in the hall when I was coming upstairs or playing with the cat? How did I not bump into him? The hallway is very narrow, as I mentioned, and if both of us had been together in the hall, we should have known it. How long had he been standing there? I was so relieved it was him and not some ghost or demon, but it still took a good twenty minutes for me to calm down afterwards...my heart was racing out of my chest and I was hyperventilating.

This morning I asked him what the gently caress, and why was he standing out in the hall. He says he doesn't remember leaving the room, but that he woke up standing in the hall when I slammed the door in his face. He said when he woke up he was dreaming about trying to find me. He says he thought I had been in the bedroom with him the whole night, and was extremely confused when I said that I had come upstairs around 3:30 in the morning. He didn't know why he was trying to find me in his dream when he was sure I had been in bed the whole time.

That was Steve's second time sleepwalking (I guess) in 35 years, and was probably about a year apart from his first episode. The whole thing was weird as gently caress and still is unnerving to me.

genetic_knockout has a new favorite as of 03:36 on Aug 23, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus loving christ, whoa. I truly don't believe in ghosts, but goddamn.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Transmogrifier posted:

I remember in one of the threads from times past there was a goon who was sharing stories of some really weird rear end poo poo happening in their back yard. They were also sharing pictures, and it was not only really compelling but they seemed absolutely convinced there was some kind of weird poo poo going on. I believe at one point there was even discussion that they may have some kind of demonic entity stalking them and they started investigating preventive measures like burning different kinds of herbs and incense. I don't think the "story" was ever finished. Ringing any bells for anyone?

Sappo569 posted:

I think I remember something of the sort, the goon was taking pictures of the window looking into the backyard etc?

Drum posted:

I was actually trying to remember this story the other day, wanting to re-read it. I'll have to see if I can dig anything up.

This is from a little while back, but that might have been me. I just went to google to try to find the thread it was in, and I found someone has posted it on this website: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Specter_with_White_Eyes_%28Nuggan%29

Thats nice, because the last time I remember seeing it on a thread here some of the pictures were gone, and this has them all.

Nuggan has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Aug 26, 2015

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Always loved these threads. Don't have any personal stories but I have one to share.

Back in elementary school we had Old Folks Day. It was a day where various old people would come by and have different things set up to show us how things were done back in the day.there was one guy that would come by every year and tell us stories. You might recognize him; his name was Hal Lynch. He always had some hosed up slightly scary story to share even though this day was always in like March or April. This is a story he told back when I was like in 2nd - 3rd grade so its been a while to say the least but here we go.

This is a really cool idea. Social history is more critical to who we are than most people realize.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Nuggan posted:

This is from a little while back, but that might have been me. I just went to google to try to find the thread it was in, and I found someone has posted it on this website: http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Specter_with_White_Eyes_%28Nuggan%29

Thats nice, because the last time I remember seeing it on a thread here some of the pictures were gone, and this has them all.

I think you're right, wow. Thanks Nuggan! Your story was really awesome and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Nuggan posted:

Oh yeah, that's definitely it. Still as creepy as the first time I read it. Thanks, Nuggan!

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone have that story about a resurrected pig called bloody face

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's cool to see that some of the old ghost posters are still around. It's a shame about Onic, looks like he hasn't posted since last may.

Was it greenjeans who had stories about casting out demons in the name of Jesus in people's basements? Back around 2006 or 2007?

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!
I've been a long time reader of these threads but haven't had a chance to contribute anything until now. I initially posted this on r/nosleep but I'll link it and copy it here. And as I pointed out in the comments, names have been changed to protect the innocent.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3k8cd0/there_was_a_dead_girl_hanging_in_my_bedroom_when/

JunKun posted:

It's been almost 15 years ago since my family moved out of the creepy old house that nurtured my nyctophobia which still persists to this day. I have a panic attack if it's dark enough that I can't see in front of me, and I cannot go to sleep in a room that's dark enough that I cannot see all 4 walls, so today I always sleep with my TV on. But as a 7 year old I didn't have the privilege of a TV set in my bedroom. My family was struggling (mostly due to my mom's now ex-husband's tendency to spend each paycheck to support his drug addiction, but that's a whole different story) and they'd gotten a pretty good deal on a crappy house in the poorer section of town due to being friends with the landlady.

My bedroom was at the end of the hall with a single window facing the back yard, and a tiny closet across from it that seemed to creak open on its own overnight as the house settled. There was no central air, so I had to rely on a window unit to keep cool during the night. For anyone who's had to deal with window units you'll understand how easily the cool air in one room can seep out to the rest of the house, rendering it completely ineffective if you leave your door open. But my parents were dicks and refused to buy a night light--“You're nearly 8 years old, you don't need to use a nightlight anymore”--so I would either have to shut my bedroom door so my room would stay cool enough that I could sleep, or I'd have to keep my door cracked open so the light from the hallway would ease my mind enough that I could sleep.

In any other house I may have been able to shut my door, hide my head beneath my blanket and learn to sleep in the dark. But I wasn't in any other house, I was in 812 Havemeyer in Park South...a house so crap that nobody had been willing to live there for 20 years, in a neighborhood so crap it got demolished just a few years after we left. We lived there for less than a year, but it was the most memorable year of my entire childhood because of how terrified I was each night to go to sleep.

I remember the first night sleeping in that room, door closed, blankets pulled up as the AC blasted, when the creaking of my ceiling fan suddenly got louder just as I was about to fall asleep. I opened my eyes and there, hanging in the middle of the room was a little girl in a plain woolen nightgown, long dark hair obscuring her face. I screamed and flung the sheets up over my head. My step-dad banged my door open a minute later and flipped the light on.

“What's wrong?” he asked as he came up beside my bed and pulled the sheets off my head. My eyes went to the middle of the room immediately, and I pointed.

“There was a girl hanging from the ceiling fan.”

Step-dad turned and looked, “There's nothing there. You had a nightmare, go back to sleep.” And just like that he walked out, flipped off the switch, and shut the door. When my night vision came back in the girl was there once more, swinging back and forth, as if she'd been there all along, hidden only by the light.

I pulled the blankets back over my head and laid there shivering all night, too afraid to call out for my parents again because I knew my step-dad would get angry and yell at me. The next night I slept with the door open, so that the light from my parents room would light up the hallway and seep into my room, and the hanging girl wouldn't appear. It worked long enough for me to fall asleep, but when I woke up an hour before daybreak needing to pee, all the lights in the house were off and the girl was there once more, swinging slowly back and forth. I held it in, lying in bed squirming and waiting for the sun to rise, and when she finally faded as the light seeped into my room I bolted to the bathroom and pissed like a fire hose.

That became routine the next couple weeks, until one morning I woke having to pee earlier than usual and I couldn't quite hold it long enough. I knew I was about to piss myself, and I'd have to make a run for it, so I steeled myself, edged out of the bed, then bolted across the room when suddenly the girl reached out and lunged for me, hair flinging back off her head, white, glazed eyes staring at me with grim intensity. With greater dexterity than I thought myself capable I spun on the spot and lunged back into my bed, slinging my blankets up over my head and hiding until sunlight. Needless to say, I caught hell for wetting the bed.

After that I absolutely refused to sleep in that bed. My step-dad yelled and screamed and threatened to beat my rear end but I absolutely refused to go into that room after dark, and spent the rest of our stay at that house sleeping on the living room couch.

After we'd moved I was able to convince myself that it had all been a recurring dream or a delusion or something...and despite my lingering fear of the dark, I'd essentially forgotten about the house entirely until the day before yesterday. I had taken my mother grocery shopping when we bumped into our old land lady and my mother had to stop and chat as she is wont to do. Naturally, assuming I didn't remember her my mom mentioned the house we lived in when I was 7 and wouldn't sleep in my bed, and I mentioned why. As soon as I mentioned the hanging girl the former landlady's face became grave.

“There actually was a young girl found hanging in that house in the 80's,” she said. She wouldn't elaborate, and my mom moved the conversation to lighter topics, but when I got home and was able to hop online I looked up old news regarding the house/neighborhood and found the article.

It was a young girl named Deborah Gibbs. As the story goes, she had been complaining of a monster in her closet watching her as she tried to sleep every night, and she would scream and scream every time she saw it until her parents would come in and bring her into their room. Allegedly the dad got sick of it and to teach her to face her fears left her in her room one night when she screamed out. They found her hanging the next morning. The father was charged with her murder, but I can't help but wonder...

GreatPhoenix has a new favorite as of 04:12 on Sep 16, 2015

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
You guys remember atound the time ole Slendy was made a goon also made up "the "rake". Well I was bored as hell on one of my days off and flipped over to Destination America and some show about a group of fellows who hunt cryptids "professionally". They were in like Nevada, New Mexico, or Arizona; some state full of desert. Well they heard reports of a strange creature harming animals, harassing people, etc and that it lived in some cave system that served as a tourist attraction. According to these guys the rake actually lives there and in fact some demon thing from India. Best part is one of them wanted to take a gun in the caves in case it attacked but since it wasn't allowed to it possibly causing a cave in he opted for fisticuffs and a pointy stick. I'll look up the episode and post it shortly if you guys are interested.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Blizzy_Cow posted:

You guys remember atound the time ole Slendy was made a goon also made up "the "rake". Well I was bored as hell on one of my days off and flipped over to Destination America and some show about a group of fellows who hunt cryptids "professionally". They were in like Nevada, New Mexico, or Arizona; some state full of desert. Well they heard reports of a strange creature harming animals, harassing people, etc and that it lived in some cave system that served as a tourist attraction. According to these guys the rake actually lives there and in fact some demon thing from India. Best part is one of them wanted to take a gun in the caves in case it attacked but since it wasn't allowed to it possibly causing a cave in he opted for fisticuffs and a pointy stick. I'll look up the episode and post it shortly if you guys are interested.

The rake-shasa

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Was it Mountain Monsters? I'm pretty sure that show only exists because a bunch of fat rednecks came up with it as a scheme to get a TV channel to pay for them getting drunk and shooting things in the woods. On second thought, I'm pretty sure Destination America the channel only exists because a bunch of fat rednecks came up with it as a scheme to get advertising revenue to pay for them getting drunk and shooting things in the woods.

Fake edit: It's Monsters and Mysteries in America, Season 2 - Episode 10.

Check out the 100% NOT SLENDERMAN pic from their website:

Real edit: Of all the scary stories posted in these threads, how did the two least believable (Slenderman and the Rake) get accepted into pop culture?

McGavin has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Sep 23, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Bigleg, the shittiest cryptid.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

poor life choice posted:

Bigleg, the shittiest cryptid.

2004 called, it wants Salad Fingers and its JNCO pants back.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
Its a good channel for some background noise and some good laughs. Theyre showing a marathon haunted houses and poo poo right now. But yeah ots mostly rednecks being drunk in the woods and looking for bigfoot and being scard shitless when the producers throw rock at them from behind the camera.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I only found out it existed because I got pneumonia while I was in Hawaii and there was a Mountain Monsters marathon on and I was too sick to change the channel. They went after legendary cryptids such as "The Snallygaster" and "Hogzilla". Hogzilla was just a slightly larger than normal pig. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I read a comic yesterday, can't remember where, but it brought up the fact that since our planet is moving through space, and ghosts allegedly have no mass, there shouldn't be any hauntings, since any ghost would just be floating out in space.

Either that, or literal space ghosts that our planet keeps hitting are the causes of weird, random phenomena.

:iiam:... Or it's not, I don't know.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

McGavin posted:

I only found out it existed because I got pneumonia while I was in Hawaii and there was a Mountain Monsters marathon on and I was too sick to change the channel. They went after legendary cryptids such as "The Snallygaster" and "Hogzilla". Hogzilla was just a slightly larger than normal pig. :(

Bummer. If only it had looked like your avatar.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Blizzy_Cow posted:

The Southwest? Everybody knows the Rake is from New Jersey! :goonsay:

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
So if it is in the southwest its just pissed no one will give him a ride home?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's from India and is a very recent immigrant, tell me you wouldn't get pissed if people laughed at you for sounding like Apu

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I saw a video on youtiube about The Rake and someone brought up that it was a fictional creature and linked to it's inception thread or wherever and people countered this with, "Maybe peoples imaginations can create these things!"

Makes you think.

Mostly about how dumb people can be, but still... Makes you think.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

loving everything is tulpas man

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Collective belief making things real would be really neat, but if that were the case then ponies would be lurking out in the wilderness thanks to the Bronies doing the Tulpa thing.

poo poo that would be a good horror story

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Literally the plot of C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Eox posted:

Collective belief making things real would be really neat, but if that were the case then ponies would be lurking out in the wilderness thanks to the Bronies doing the Tulpa thing.

poo poo that would be a good horror story

They believe this is true though, there are whole forums devoted to MLP tulpas.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Human belief making things real has been done a ton of times, and not just in horror. I think it's pretty nifty as far as ideas go, personally.

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
So if we believe hard enough we can make dickbutt a reality?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Just so you know, the Rake story was around way before VictorSurge made up Slendy. I don't know if you could technically call it "creepypasta" (since I don't think that word had even been coined back then) but I definitely remember it getting reposted in mid-2000s SA ghost story threads. Without going through them individually, I can find a reference to the story as far back as the 2008 thread, so it absolutely predates that. Not sure why it's being associated with Slenderman all of a sudden, but these are the same people for whom being well-dressed and thin strikes a primordial fear so who knows.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hazo posted:

Just so you know, the Rake story was around way before VictorSurge made up Slendy. I don't know if you could technically call it "creepypasta" (since I don't think that word had even been coined back then) but I definitely remember it getting reposted in mid-2000s SA ghost story threads. Without going through them individually, I can find a reference to the story as far back as the 2008 thread, so it absolutely predates that. Not sure why it's being associated with Slenderman all of a sudden, but these are the same people for whom being well-dressed and thin strikes a primordial fear so who knows.

The first time I can remember The Rake being associated with Slendy is in Everyman Hybrid, which sort of took a "creepypasta kitchen sink" approach to their series mythology.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

GreatPhoenix posted:

Literally the plot of C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy.

He was a brony?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Holy gently caress is the tulpa subreddit tragic. Just on the first page there's one guy asking if tulpas can be alternatives to real friends, another asking if his tulpa can be his girlfriend, and a full-blown schizophrenic being encouraged to hide his "tulpas" from his therapist.

Social outcasts, people with mental illness, and people trying to induce mental illness as an alternative to being social outcasts.

(Don't sign your posts, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

InediblePenguin posted:

He was a brony?

No this preceded the brony fandom by many years thankfully, but all manner of mythological and paranormal creatures existed in the wild due to people either being paranoid of encountering them, or wishing to see them. The main world religion very closely resembled Christianity and their Prophet wanted to use the world's collective faith to create God.

• Locked thread