Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
which one do you prefer?

i live in a city but i's really small and i'm like a 15 minute ride away from wilderness. i'm planning on moving to the country soon b/c honestly gently caress people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i honestly gently caress people 2 op country city rain shine

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I bought a house in the suburbs of Phoenix but when I retire I'll probably move back to the midwest and get myself a mini-mansion for $250k.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

I live in a city in a county, best of 2 worlds.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't recommend the country unless you have a beard otherwise you will have trouble fitting in with the members of your blood cult

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ethanol posted:

I don't recommend the country unless you have a beard otherwise you will have trouble fitting in with the members of your blood cult

idk wispy moustache is a pretty popular style too

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
cities rock OP utilities always work and reduced heating fees because you're sandwiched between apartment from at least two sides

also can always go and wander somewhere nice and have a coffee if you're in like a melancholic mood

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Lichy posted:

cities rock OP utilities always work and reduced heating fees because you're sandwiched between apartment from at least two sides

heating is cheaper yeah but living in general is a lot more expensive. forget about buying a decent size apartment, it's rent until you die.

Lichy posted:

also can always go and wander somewhere nice and have a coffee if you're in like a melancholic mood

i make my coffee at home and wander in the forest

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i make my coffee at home and wander in the forest
drat you sound like a really cool dude

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i grew up in the sticks and now live in a big city and i can get new beer in 5 min vs. 45 min case closed for now

Maka
Mar 18, 2001

would be nice to have city life but yet a decent sized property for a house with a yard and no traffic and assholes. yep thats living

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ethanol posted:

drat you sound like a really cool dude

well, if we're looking upsides then instant coffee isn't one of them

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Dyna Soar posted:

. forget about buying a decent size apartment, it's rent until you die.

poor spotted

not if you've got a trust fund you untouchable

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also I love having people move all the time around me. I feel I can effortlessly tap into that reserve of motivation to move and do things

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
oh, and, cow poop

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lichy posted:

poor spotted

man I was a city kid, then my dad cut my budget from $3100 to $2700 so i moved to the country and made that money work for my situation

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
why not both? I live in the country and drive an hour to the city for work and school. Country is the best since we have a sheriff and everyone hush hush all the suicides by the polygamist compounds.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Edgar posted:

why not both? I live in the country and drive an hour to the city for work and school. Country is the best since we have a sheriff and everyone hush hush all the suicides by the polygamist compounds.

well yeah, i'd still work where i work now, i'd just have about an hours drive to work.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lichy posted:

poor spotted

Ignorant, not all trust funds are huge.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008
Purchase shitball country home, disconnect from "the grid", impregnate goodly wife, use children to till fields of sorghum, brew apple cider, get stomped to death by a horse at 37.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

shut up netface posted:

Purchase shitball country home, disconnect from "the grid", impregnate goodly wife, use children to till fields of sorghum, brew apple cider, get stomped to death by a horse at 37.

this but get run over by your own truck at 37

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I want to live on a small lake with a sportman's club so I can drunkenly boat back and forth for cans of beer and steak dinners.

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009
the city because i enjoy doing things and cars are dumb

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

ASSASSINS! posted:

the city because i enjoy doing things and cars are dumb

what things

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The truth is somewhere in the middle (suburbs of a major city)

Bigger house for cheaper, can actually find parking, not too noisy, can go do hipster stuff after 25 minute drive

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
suburbs is the worst of both worlds

ASSASSINS!
Jan 2, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

what things

getting blackout drink at a bar and stumbling a block back to my apartment. also crack.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

suburbs is the worst of both worlds

Depends on what kind of suburbs you mean

I would imagine suburbs in like Connecticut probably sucks and there is nothing to do

Also you know Compton is a suburb right

It's a bit general of a term

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
well, i mean suburbs have people you have to mind and be aware of while at the time not having the services of a city. more room but not enough to be worth it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
over the past 10 years i spent $75,000 on gasoline commuting between two small Dixie towns because "living in the city is too expensive." I ride the bus in a big city now. it owns.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Phoenix is 14,555.76 sq. mi. of suburbs, with 10 sq. mi. of city.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also country life is OK but I don't think I could stand only knowing the same 80 people my whole life and running into them every day

Also only having like two major restaurants in your area would get old fast

Also only place to go on weekends being like one bowling alley and the same mini golf place for life sounds drab too

To each their own I suppose

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

atlanta is the worst.

All the bad parts of a big city with none of the benefits.

Want to walk a mile? Tough poo poo you have to cross three interstates.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I feel bad for anyone who can't leave their house and be at Airport Security in under 20 minutes. When I go back east I have to drive 2.5 hours from my moms house to the airport.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Both are poo poo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

over the past 10 years i spent $75,000 on gasoline commuting between two small Dixie towns because "living in the city is too expensive." I ride the bus in a big city now. it owns.

Last time I looked at houses the ones in the city were twice as much as the burbs only 20 minutes away

Also they were attached on both sides and you had no property.

The taxes were a little cheaper but you'd still never break even

Decent suburbs should have a rail road that goes into the city. I'm sure the ones with mcmansions don't though

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I live in bumfuck nowhere, since it's where the big bucks were for me. Internet is garbage out here so no more FPS for me; was getting carpal tunnel bad so might've been for the best. Prefer the city, but having more disposable income is nice.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Country with a decent city not far away is best. Going out all the time is cool in your early 20's or if you're single, but if you have a long term relationship then it's whatever. I'd rather do outdoorsy type stuff in the country such as fishing, hunting, etc and then cooking at home with friends.

I don't even care for concerts anymore. poo poo is for babies.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Country. Cities make me claustrophobic, and I like being able to see the stars at night the way nature intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I have to drive a little over an hour to get to O'Hare

close enough to take train into and out of city in same day

yet where I live is surrounded by cornfields and a dude who raises goats

I want to actually live in a city for a while sometime, though

• Locked thread