Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Update!

Also, Ghost Story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I can't help it, I really like Joy :3:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I can't help it, I really like Joy :3:

She may be a meme child, but at least she's very aware of how dumb and weird the game is.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
ThatPazuzu, you've just sold a copy of the game. (PS3, I hope the quality isn't too much worse.) I'm really liking this, I don't get all the apparent hate for it. But then, I'd never heard anything about it, so I'm not coming to it with any particular expectations. I guess it seems more like a JRPG, very linear, story-focused, and pretty light on actual gameplay, and not the type of game that Xbox and PC gamers tend to go for. And of course it's kinda cheesy, but it's about an undead noir detective, I mean come on. Pazuzu, at this rate, how many updates would you say the game has total?

Also, I'm way behind the times, so I don't know what the current state of facial mo-cap or actor quality in games is, but I'm really impressed by the acting. Well, mostly just Ronan and Joy. I've never seen game characters (of this realism/live-action movie style) that seemed so fully inhabited and alive before. (Oops... Well, you know what I mean.) I mean, Ronan is a pretty basic character type, but his and Joy's micro-expressions and little subtleties give them a lot of charisma.

And I think Ronan looks cool okay :colbert:

(even if his name sounds like something out of a historical romance novel)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Well in case any more people are thinking about getting the game any time soon, keep in mind that it's currently in the latest Humble Bundle for under $8 (along with a few other good games): https://www.humblebundle.com/

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Cichlid the Loach posted:

ThatPazuzu, you've just sold a copy of the game. (PS3, I hope the quality isn't too much worse.) I'm really liking this, I don't get all the apparent hate for it. But then, I'd never heard anything about it, so I'm not coming to it with any particular expectations. I guess it seems more like a JRPG, very linear, story-focused, and pretty light on actual gameplay, and not the type of game that Xbox and PC gamers tend to go for. And of course it's kinda cheesy, but it's about an undead noir detective, I mean come on. Pazuzu, at this rate, how many updates would you say the game has total?

Yeah, I tease this game a lot because it's really cheesy and somethings are underdeveloped but the reason I'm LPing it is because I actually like it. Your description is actually pretty spot on.

As for updates, this is purely speculation because I haven't recorded everything yet but I'd estimate 18 to 20. It's not a long game.

Niggurath posted:

Well in case any more people are thinking about getting the game any time soon, keep in mind that it's currently in the latest Humble Bundle for under $8 (along with a few other good games): https://www.humblebundle.com/

You can get Deus Ex Human Revolution and pretend you're a Salem Police Man.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I have a request, ThatPazuzu. When you go through the text at the end of the episodes could you slow it down a little? I barely have time to pause the video to read.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Thesaya posted:

I have a request, ThatPazuzu. When you go through the text at the end of the episodes could you slow it down a little? I barely have time to pause the video to read.

Sure, I'll slow down some. :)

Edit: If anyone else has critique, please voice it. I wanna get better.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 22, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bowling's a jock sport now?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Samovar posted:

Bowling's a jock sport now?

In the land of fedora gamers, the bowler is jock.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm just showing my age, but Joy's character is a bit insufferable. Look kid, you'd be in a holding cell, getting ready to hit juvie for the next year or two, if not for us. And prior to that, we kept your rear end from being the next victim. How about a little cooperation?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
By the way, how did she get out of the locked interrogation room again? Did you possess the door?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Also, I'm way behind the times, so I don't know what the current state of facial mo-cap or actor quality in games is, but I'm really impressed by the acting. Well, mostly just Ronan and Joy. I've never seen game characters (of this realism/live-action movie style) that seemed so fully inhabited and alive before. (Oops... Well, you know what I mean.) I mean, Ronan is a pretty basic character type, but his and Joy's micro-expressions and little subtleties give them a lot of charisma.

Enslaved: Journey to the West still has the best facial animation I've seen in a game but this is coming in pretty close second.

The Bell Killer is totally going to be Rex, thus explaining why the police can never catch up to him.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

By the way, how did she get out of the locked interrogation room again? Did you possess the door?

Nope. She just pushed it open. They didn't lock it. Maybe because she was just getting questioned so they couldn't lock her in or because they didn't expect her to Solid Snake through the offices.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Polaron posted:

Enslaved: Journey to the West still has the best facial animation I've seen in a game but this is coming in pretty close second.

Funnily enough, joys face was mocapped by Andy serkis too!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Polaron posted:

You should check out Infamous: Second Son for really great facial animation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

skoolmunkee posted:

And it'd really show if his character did anything but "angry".

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

skoolmunkee posted:

The thing is, Andy Serkis gets around so much that I honestly don't know if you're joking or not.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Because of mutual scheduling problems and technical difficulties with Anoia/Octarine Dream, the LP hasn't been updating. Sorry about that, y'all! I'll record the next episode with a guest until she gets new computer parts. Get well soon, Anoia's computer.

Anyway, here's an intermission treat.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Back to our regular scheduled programming with my pal, Beam Splash.

Edit: Oops, I linked to the cut version both times. Fixed now.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 4, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The LP curse affects me by proxy.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Oh, this is the Doctor Who Monster I said the girl looked like. I don't think I'm too off.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

ThatPazuzu posted:

Oh, this is the Doctor Who Monster I said the girl looked like. I don't think I'm too off.

...Oh, I remember being seriously creeped out by that one. Can't actually remember anything else about the episode though. And I can see exactly what you mean with ghosts-stalker-girl, she does look similar to him.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm slowly catchin up on videos but at the same time I'm doing some data entry, so I'm afraid I'm missing some bits of commentary. Sorry if I repeat anything!

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but those hidden drawings are often signaled by some of those ghostly gears nearby. Sometimes the gears show you the direction to go for your objective, but if you see one or two sitting around on their own, they're usually associated with a nearby drawing. Not ALL the drawings have those, but it helps a lot when you're looking for them. I actually like collectible hunts, so.

Anyway, gameplay!

I actually super enjoyed the ghost mechanics. There was a huge amount of potential there and I'm sad to see how limited use they made of it. I never quite broke the habit of following the "living world" restrictions of walls and doors. It would have been neat to have chase sequences with mortals where they were restricted to their structures, but you could maybe make clever use of your shortcuts, get blocked by ghost walls, etc. I dunno! I would love to see that dual-topology mechanic used in another game.

I also really liked how most of the other ghosts you come across are clearly messed up people. A couple are sympathetic like the car guy and the boat wreck lady, but the guy who sticks around to watch TV, the creepy ones in the apartments and in the church, I dunno. That was more unsettling to me than the more deliberate horror-y type stuff. There could be a mentally unstable ghost near me RIGHT NOW.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Thesaya posted:

...Oh, I remember being seriously creeped out by that one. Can't actually remember anything else about the episode though. And I can see exactly what you mean with ghosts-stalker-girl, she does look similar to him.

Bowie Base One discovered a parasite in martian ice that turned people into water zombies so the astronauts had to nuke themselves. Then the Doctor declared himself a demigod and saved some people's lives before being called to his own death by the singing Ood.

God drat, I love that dumb, amazing shoe. :allears:

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm slowly catchin up on videos but at the same time I'm doing some data entry, so I'm afraid I'm missing some bits of commentary. Sorry if I repeat anything!

I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but those hidden drawings are often signaled by some of those ghostly gears nearby. Sometimes the gears show you the direction to go for your objective, but if you see one or two sitting around on their own, they're usually associated with a nearby drawing. Not ALL the drawings have those, but it helps a lot when you're looking for them. I actually like collectible hunts, so.

Anyway, gameplay!

I actually super enjoyed the ghost mechanics. There was a huge amount of potential there and I'm sad to see how limited use they made of it. I never quite broke the habit of following the "living world" restrictions of walls and doors. It would have been neat to have chase sequences with mortals where they were restricted to their structures, but you could maybe make clever use of your shortcuts, get blocked by ghost walls, etc. I dunno! I would love to see that dual-topology mechanic used in another game.

I also really liked how most of the other ghosts you come across are clearly messed up people. A couple are sympathetic like the car guy and the boat wreck lady, but the guy who sticks around to watch TV, the creepy ones in the apartments and in the church, I dunno. That was more unsettling to me than the more deliberate horror-y type stuff. There could be a mentally unstable ghost near me RIGHT NOW.

I brought up the gears being around (and sometimes arrows in the gears pointing to) ghost drawings but because of inconsistent usage it's more of a tip than an actual strategy, if you get what I mean.

This game also has a bunch of cool underdeveloped ideas. Like the mechanics already given could be used for a cool stealth-action scene where the Bell Killer is after Joy and Ronan has to walk through walls to see where he is and tell Joy to run accordingly. Or a chase scene where you can bypass physical obsticles while the other person can go through ghostly objects. This game really deserved a sequel where more confident devs could utilize these existing mechanics more creatively. Kind of like the difference between Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

As for ghosts, I like the idea that they all have unfinished business but they don't all care to resolve it. Being an immortal ghost can be p sweet so why not hang out and watch tv.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, but you really wanna watch t.v. when there's nobody but a bunch of bummed out ghosts you can bitch about how crappy the shows are to?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

skoolmunkee posted:

This is my feeling exactly. That seemed really neat, and I mean, you'd think a medium would be aware that having someone who can pass through most structures and eavesdrop on everything would be at least a little useful.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ghosts trying to spook other ghosts is my new favorite ghost thing

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

If anyone is curious, as of the next update, we'll be about halfway through the game. It's not a very long game, which works to it's favor because you can't stretch out a gimmicky concept and single mystery for 20 hours.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I would have made this update yesterday but I decided to put something special at the end of these videos.

Also, new ghost story!

Edit: I'm sorry if Beamie Baby and I are slightly desynced/talking over each other. I had to manually sync us up and I didn't do it perfectly.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 11, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Going by the look of her face, I would say Sophia was going to die from her 50-a-day habit if it weren't from the drowning.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I still really like that you learn to teleport by thinking "hey, I want to teleport" and then just doing it.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I imagine it's like those "mind reading" devices, which children are way more proficient at because they can honestly believe they're moving stuff with their mind. All you have to do is believe, Ronan!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

This week's update has no commentary. It's just me getting all the collectibles in Salem. I solve multiple kitty-based puzzles, master teleporting, and talk to a ghost I've never seen before. They'll be at least one more bonus where I go through all the collectible descriptions because I went too fast in the past.

And, of course, a new ghost story!

Oh, I also did a celebratory video for the announcement of Frozen 2. It's basically an homage to D-Vac's girl game series but whatever.

Edit: So, uh, does anyone have theories on the Bell Killer? What's up with the ghost drawings? Anything? :ghost:

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 16, 2015

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The Bell killer was never real in the first place. Someone made that up and now everyone started doing rithualistic suicides which looked like his MO. Just look at that swamp girl. Clearly she did that herself. And Ronan lost part of his memory when he died, so he can't remember how he jumped out of the window and shot himself 7 times in his chest.

The ghost drawings are random cracks in the cement which form patterns if you look at them while intoxicated.

You didn't ask for particulary likely theories...

To be honest, the game feels kind of unrewarding. You didn't really find any good hints so far and that Bell Killer seems like an uninteresting, bland enemy.
Maybe the game wants to surprise us by revealing that the killer is someone we met already. The problem with that is that Ronan doesn't really know anyone. The only one who would fit the description is black-haired-police-guy, since bald-bowling-jock-police-guy is way to sturdy. Who else would be there? The priest? Some guy who is really important to Ronan but didn't show up in the story yet?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

I still really like that you learn to teleport by thinking "hey, I want to teleport" and then just doing it.

It's a shame you can't teleport over those loving demon holes :argh:

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
I'm about 90% convinced that the ghost girl is the one actually behind all this. She's definitely got a lot more going on than meets the eye, anyway.

Dumbest plot twist I can think of: The Bell Killer is actually your dead wife, reincarnated as a zombie and performing human sacrifices to remain incarnate. She made you stay and become a ghost in order to be able to use your ghost powers for eeeeeevil.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Obviously this killer knows that graveyards are the best place for hooking up, so to ensure he can find the right one, he's going to make it so the entire city is a graveyard, just to maximize his chances!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Kloro posted:

Dumbest plot twist I can think of: The Bell Killer is actually your dead wife, reincarnated as a zombie and performing human sacrifices to remain incarnate. She made you stay and become a ghost in order to be able to use your ghost powers for eeeeeevil.

Thankfully I can say the twist isn't that dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I think the ghost story that's hit me the hardest was the Heirloom one, if only because I still occasionally suffer from sleep paralysis.

• Locked thread