Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

stop giving him money pls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

who is tim schafer's johnny depp?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the secret of monkey island was basically batman, down to the good music

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Frodo

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

kickstarter

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Helena Bonham

Humble Bundle

:tinfoil:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

Helena Bonham

Humble Bundle

:tinfoil:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the loving link isn't even the god drat link to the image lmfao

code:
[img]http://imgur.com/Rdb73Qn[/img]

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Double Fine's Beetlejuice

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the loving link isn't even the god drat link to the image lmfao

code:
[timg]http://imgur.com/Rdb73Qn[/timg]

even if it were it wouldn't work anyway

double fail

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Was Costume Quest good or am I thinking of another dev

I've been wary of this stuff :tinfoil:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

hes actually the tim schafer of gaming

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

and check this out... their names are both "Tim"

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Costume Quest was good I enjoyed it

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i don't pay too much attention to names, please explain tim schafer and what funny things he does

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

A Spider Covets posted:

i don't pay too much attention to names, please explain tim schafer and what funny things he does

I think he's one of those people that has ideas that some people like but can't get anything actually done.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

It was okay. Cute and somewhat charming. Super shallow, though.

Dec 26, 2012

Silver Striker posted:

Cute and somewhat charming. Super shallow, though.

doublefine in a nutshell

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Silver Striker posted:

It was okay. Cute and somewhat charming. Super shallow, though.

pretty much. i was definitely ready for it to be over at the end.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

There was DLC and a sequel and I've heard they're both okay but by the time I was done with the first part I was not interested in playing any more of an RPG where you only have like 2 abilities total. Every fight is the exact same. The novelty of costumes wears off pretty fast but to counter that you keep finding new ones.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That sucks. It always looked neat and I ended up grabbing P2EP instead with the PSN credit I had. I guess I made a good choice there.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hmmmmmmmm

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

oh dear

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
i liked costume quest but the combat was boring after the first hub. apparently in costume quest 2 they made the game pertty tedious by making you have to refill your hp instead of it automatically doing so after a fight so gently caress that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Silver Striker posted:

There was DLC and a sequel and I've heard they're both okay but by the time I was done with the first part I was not interested in playing any more of an RPG where you only have like 2 abilities total. Every fight is the exact same. The novelty of costumes wears off pretty fast but to counter that you keep finding new ones.

the dlc is ok (and included with the base game now i think) but it's just another area of the same stuff.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

I think he's one of those people that has ideas that some people like but can't get anything actually done.
pretty much. had some different ideas but doesn't seem to know how to manage a project on time or on budget. blows my mind how many established indie developers seem to have this issue, but i guess it shouldn't. also, i'd just say go ahead and pick up costume quest if it's cheap enough. it's all of those things people said, but if you can get it for like 3 bux or how ever cheap it's bound to be on sale, it's worth a look.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
so like peter molyneux?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

if there's one thing i'll give molyneux, at least he's tried to come up with something new (and then failing miserably to execute it) rather than just taking an existing genre/game and slapping a cutesy and charming veneer on it and still failing miserably.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

liquid courage posted:

pretty much. had some different ideas but doesn't seem to know how to manage a project on time or on budget. blows my mind how many established indie developers seem to have this issue, but i guess it shouldn't. also, i'd just say go ahead and pick up costume quest if it's cheap enough. it's all of those things people said, but if you can get it for like 3 bux or how ever cheap it's bound to be on sale, it's worth a look.

can't they hire someone competent under them and just provide overall direction? i do not work in video games so i don't really understand why this kind of thing happens so much.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Velthice posted:

so like peter molyneux?

lol gently caress pete moly

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

liquid courage posted:

blows my mind how many established indie developers seem to have this issue, but i guess it shouldn't.

Because when they stop having budget and deadline issues they stop being indie devs.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

love video games not game devs

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Schafer is really funny because he was treated as the poster child for kickstarter or whatever but in reality he's like the exact reason publishers need to exist. He can't manage for poo poo and if you let him do his own thing it turns out as a steaming mess with no depth. There's a really funny quote exchange between him and Bobby Kotick where Schafer says Kotick is "the most evil man to ever live" or something and Kotick is like "I never even met the guy, I just cancelled one of his games because it sucked, went overbudget, and didn't meet a single deadline".

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The game in quest I think was Brutal Legend, which was marketed as boring and generic third person action game when in actuality it was a boring and generic RTS or something. I stopped playing before then because it was really boring and bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

time shifter

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

liquid courage posted:

if there's one thing i'll give molyneux, at least he's tried to come up with something new (and then failing miserably to execute it) rather than just taking an existing genre/game and slapping a cutesy and charming veneer on it and still failing miserably.

I remember there was thing molyneux was commenting on and he was all like "excellent concept, poor execution, much like my game design ideas" and that was super loving own. I like anyone who can just come out and admit when they gently caress up.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

can't they hire someone competent under them and just provide overall direction? i do not work in video games so i don't really understand why this kind of thing happens so much.
here's another tale of indie game dev incompetence. at my last job, one of my co-workers mentioned her husband was a game developer and his company had a game on steam. i asked her about it and found it was cadenza interactive, the dev that released sol survivor and retrovirus. like many other indie devs, it was a group of friends who made little games together and thought they could make a career out of it. based on what she told me, they had absolutely no business actually managing a company. they had a meeting for several hours every morning to touch base with one another and figure out what they were working on, no schedule to speak of, and had to decide on pretty much a day to day basis how their individual work was going to fit together. unsurprisingly, it had gotten to the point where they didn't have any revenue coming in (because of course they were self-published) and folded in the "planning" stage of their third game.

Velthice posted:

I remember there was thing molyneux was commenting on and he was all like "excellent concept, poor execution, much like my game design ideas" and that was super loving own. I like anyone who can just come out and admit when they gently caress up.
one of my favorite peter molyneux moments is in this special charlie brooker did last year: http://vimeo.com/86920129. at one point, they're talking about british PCs in the 80s and how whoever owned this particular model (a bbc micro, i think) was a rich rear end in a top hat. cut to peter molyneux talking about the computer.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 30, 2015

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

Silver Striker posted:

He can't manage for poo poo and if you let him do his own thing it turns out as a steaming mess with no depth.

So he's the George Lucas of gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i don't much care for what the man does these days but full throttle is solid gold as far as i'm concerned

• Locked thread