Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musluk
May 23, 2011

Vilusia posted:

I haven't played this game since march of last year. Is it worth checking out the new update? Or is it more of the same?

How dare you not check out the DARK SOULS of 2d pixel platformer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilusia
Mar 10, 2014

Musluk posted:

How dare you not check out the DARK SOULS of 2d pixel platformer
I played it before, the game got really repetitive though. Just wondering if the winter update made the game worth going through again.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Imaginary Friend posted:

Also, holy poo poo this game needs some kind of semi-dynamic economy thrown in because with the outpost it's even more obvious how static the procedural universe is.

I know this thread is against :siren:fetch quests:siren:, but some sort of dynamic space trucker system between the Outpost and planets with villages would be absolutely my poo poo. Transporting goods and NPCs would give us something to use all those extra rooms in upgraded ships on.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vilusia posted:

I played it before, the game got really repetitive though. Just wondering if the winter update made the game worth going through again.

It's different, I personally don't think it's better, but some people do. You've got nothing to lose but a few hours so I recommend trying it anyway.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Can you use the dash or pulse jump to pass through the first boss' energy beams without taking damage?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Jusupov posted:

Can you use the dash or pulse jump to pass through the first boss' energy beams without taking damage?

No, you can't, a shield negates the damage if you're ideally located.

A few tips for the boss:

Grind up cooking recipes (cook all the things), as you get better foods you get things like hitpoint boosts, longer healing times, and energy regen amongst other effects (cactus juice makes you thorny). Once you've gotten a food item that adds hp and regens health bring it along and wait until you've gotten hit by the beams twice, then eat it and use a bandage, you should heal fast enough to survive another two hits, possibly more if you are quick with the bandages.

Explore your starting solar system, you might get lucky and find a planet or two with the deformed apex in cages, they drop stims which can also help make the boss easier to handle.

If you've died a bunch of times and are getting frustrated and just want it to be over, type /admin.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Fermented Tinal posted:

No, you can't, a shield negates the damage if you're ideally located.

A few tips for the boss:

Grind up cooking recipes (cook all the things), as you get better foods you get things like hitpoint boosts, longer healing times, and energy regen amongst other effects (cactus juice makes you thorny). Once you've gotten a food item that adds hp bring it along and wait until you've gotten hit by the beams twice, then eat it and use a bandage.

Explore your starting solar system, you might get lucky and find a planet or two with the deformed apex in cages, they drop stims which can also help make the boss easier to handle.

If you've died a bunch of times and are getting frustrated and just want it to be over, type /admin.

I made it on the second attempt by taking a bunch of bandages and just letting the beams hit. One hit on the second phase and like 10 on the third where I was just dashing through them.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Heh, I died about 5 times to it before I realized I could heal myself mid-fight and ignore the beams. :downs:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Wow, Apex labs are really unfun now. I just found one with a tech chest behind a locked door, and some kind of reactor thing behind double locked doors. I went through the two obstacle courses available there multiple times, which was awful, and nothing else seemed to open up despite both branches having a pressure pad at the very end.

Edit: Googled the issue, and found a thread on the Starbound forums from folks who are also encountering this problem, and a classy post from a moderator:

quote:

There's currently an open thread for this issue: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/dungeon-generation-bug.87507/

The OP, for some reason, decided not to include any actual useful information, so if you can post your details and screenshots that would be great.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2015

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What kind of planets have more titanium and platinum? The gentle ones have so little it's sad :(

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Jusupov posted:

What kind of planets have more titanium and platinum? The gentle ones have so little it's sad :(

Go to one with moderate difficulty. I found a good amount on an ocean world, and a load of it on an arid one.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The launcher doesn't start and the DirectX version crashes instantly. Good thing the OpenGL version works for me.

Oh, and the dedicated server is still a piece of poo poo after a year. And it crashes more often too. I'm going to have to write some scripts to auto-restart the loving thing every time it crashes. About 5 of us played last night and I think I had to restart the server 3 times because of it crashing.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Imaginary Friend posted:

There's actually an attempt at a dark souls mechanic in now. If you block with a shield just before you get hit all damage is negated and the shield doesn't loose its Health or whatever it has. You can block with the big swords that don't shoot poo poo (I Think?) also. It's a bit easier since you don't have to time it right before taking damage.

Also, holy poo poo this game needs some kind of semi-dynamic economy thrown in because with the outpost it's even more obvious how static the procedural universe is.

Putting in any kind of economy to this game (letting you sell items) would totally break the game and it would take them forever to balance it. A wooden table, crafted just from wood planks, is "worth" 300 pixels.

Also, does it bother anybody else that the 3D printer seems to have been completely forgotten? I thought it was going to be an awesome way to circumvent grind (find any item, duplicate any item forever) but like 90% of the items I try to scan you can't scan into the printer. On top of that the stuff you can scan has ridiculous pixel values (500 pixels to print a small wooden chest.)

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Mine the titanium on ice planets for that easy to dig snow and ice

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Davoren posted:

Wow, Apex labs are really unfun now. I just found one with a tech chest behind a locked door, and some kind of reactor thing behind double locked doors. I went through the two obstacle courses available there multiple times, which was awful, and nothing else seemed to open up despite both branches having a pressure pad at the very end.

Edit: Googled the issue, and found a thread on the Starbound forums from folks who are also encountering this problem, and a classy post from a moderator:

Wow, that sucks, there should be a black tech card at the end of both for a total of 3 per lab.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anyone have a mod that shortens/disables the no food timer? Would make food funner

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
On that same token, does anyone have a mod that makes combat not ridiculous/actually fun?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deadly_pudding posted:

I know this thread is against :siren:fetch quests:siren:, but some sort of dynamic space trucker system between the Outpost and planets with villages would be absolutely my poo poo. Transporting goods and NPCs would give us something to use all those extra rooms in upgraded ships on.

Holy poo poo, I would LOVE this, especially if there were enemies trying to stop you, at least once in a while.

drat, way to make me want this.

I was thinking, you, as the player, are the only person who is planet hopping and discovering things. It'd be nice if there were radiant npcs or something, other characters who might visit your planet and try to be friends with you, or try to mess with you, like they were the player and you were an npc already on the planet, you know? It'd be awesome to just feel less alone.

EDIT: Also, can we get more pictures posted of various goons' ships and builds? I'd love to see how you guys are building and decorating your stuff.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Nalin posted:

The launcher doesn't start and the DirectX version crashes instantly. Good thing the OpenGL version works for me.

Oh, and the dedicated server is still a piece of poo poo after a year. And it crashes more often too. I'm going to have to write some scripts to auto-restart the loving thing every time it crashes. About 5 of us played last night and I think I had to restart the server 3 times because of it crashing.

give em a break, theyve only been working on the game for three years

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have never used mods before today, but can't seem to get the illuminated ores one working properly. I created a mods folder in the Starbound directory, added the tiles and IlluminatedOres.modinfo file to it, and started up the game. No ore glows. What else am I missing here?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Davoren posted:

I found a lab with two obstacle courses. I reached the end and pressed the switch. It's a timed gate. I ran back to the beginning and the gate to the generator was opened. I entered and turned it on, which opened a room with a tech chest. Inside was a common quality gun.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I saw some of the "mini-dungeons" last night while mining. They're cool, but I wish they were better themed or had say, ores in them. Also, despite the variety they say is in the game, of the 5 I bumped into, two were apex stations with boxes, and three were arcade cabinet rooms.

Three secret apex twin-arcade cabinet modules underground just seems strange. The thing I'll say toward Terraria is the ramshackle mining huts actually looked like they sort of belonged down there. Powered arcade rooms with no entrances less so. This isn't really a "my immersion" thing but more practical: if these are supposed to make mining less boring, then make them filled with ores so I'm actually excited when I see the thing instead of passing over some decorative items I already have seen a bunch.

On the other hand combat is definitely more fun and energy usage is more sane. The game was bombing for me a lot but I didn't seem to lose progress so only a minor annoyance that will hopefully be fixed soon.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Nalin posted:

I found a lab with two obstacle courses. I reached the end and pressed the switch. It's a timed gate. I ran back to the beginning and the gate to the generator was opened. I entered and turned it on, which opened a room with a tech chest. Inside was a common quality gun.

The first lab I did like that had an area under the generator you could drill through to that had a bunch of wiring switches in it. Worth more than the piddly guns IMO.

e: also, apparently there's an update now for 64-bit openGL. :siren:For anyone else who manually modified packed assets (e.g., giving all the MMs the BetterBeamAxe mod stats), this resets those:siren: - you'll have to unpack, modify, and repack again.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Weird, I still think something must have been broken, in the end, when I'd run out of bandages, I turned on admin mode to get back through the traps after pressing the pressure pad, something must be going wrong because theres no way I can go any faster.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Are there any decent "babies first starbound" guides out there? I feel like there are a bunch of systems that I either don't understand or don't know about

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Garbo posted:

Are there any decent "babies first starbound" guides out there? I feel like there are a bunch of systems that I either don't understand or don't know about

Not really, the ones you can probably find are outdated.

What are you having trouble with? Ask questions and people here will answer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davoren posted:

gotta resist making GBS threads on that mod on the forums

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Is having the outpost merchants selling what appears to be every possible decorative block normal? That's a long as gently caress list and the lack of a search function makes finding things like eggs and milk in the list a tedious process, especially since you can't grab the scrollbar and move it.

E: It would appear that everything also shows up in my crafting tables.

BUG SPOTTED

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 30, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eonwe posted:

gotta resist making GBS threads on that mod on the forums

I'd say go ahead, they clearly can't actually read

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I broke the ocean. :ohdear:

Is this a known bug? Last time I played, there weren't any ocean planets so I dunno.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

Is having the outpost merchants selling what appears to be every possible decorative block normal? That's a long as gently caress list and the lack of a search function makes finding things like eggs and milk in the list a tedious process, especially since you can't grab the scrollbar and move it.

E: It would appear that everything also shows up in my crafting tables.

BUG SPOTTED

Do you have admin mode on? It enables all crafting recipes in all the different dialogue boxes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Bilal posted:

Do you have admin mode on? It enables all crafting recipes in all the different dialogue boxes.

I actually don't.

E: I enabled admin when doing the erchius mine quest because I am bad at platformers and got sick of dying not to the boss but to fall damage, then I turned it off. I can't teleport from indoors/underground, but every crafting recipe is enabled.

EE: Re-enabling and re-disabling admin mode fixed it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So, deleting and creating a new character today after about 10 minutes of busywork the other night (Now I actually have techs listed in my computer! So getting Tech cards will not be completely useless) still sends me to the same garden world. All the trees and coal right by the teleport in port are still gone :allears: (Guess that treasure chest with the axe in it is also gone forever).

I coulda sworn I got a message about using a stone hoe to plant seeds the other night but it was not a crafting option at the wooden table at the time either, reset was partly so I could make sure to read that blurb more closely. The lack of banana seeds in my Apex starting inventory is also a sign of dark times ahead for the resistance. Hopefully whenever I get to that outpost they have some for sale.

I'm just gonna leave this here, hopefully I was wrong when I made these predictions. Gonna poke at Vanilla gameplay first, and hope the following expectations were too cynical.

Section Z's predictions about his future reactions last thread posted:

Section Z in the future posted:

My expectations going into the Unstable. That just like the old stable, I would think everything not related to combat or survival is really cool, while anything related to combat and survival needed a lot of work to approach "tolerable", let alone enjoyable except for anybody who thinks the devs can do no wrong or refute any dislike with "You filthy casual, this game should be more like darksouls". (A game that's difficulty was overrated, again, even I could get through and enjoy that.)

Outlook after playing unstable for a while.
Everything NOT related to combat or survival, has been greatly improved. Like, holy poo poo that's some good changes
The changes to combat and survival itselelelelelel :psyboom: :bang: :frogsiren: :magical: :suicide: :unsmigghh:

All this talk about "Enable admin mode" and the Mine boss being more Darksouls than actual Darksouls isn't helping the optimism. Though people working on cool mods again certainly is :unsmith:

EDIT: Will some magical coding genius work out how to Mod in a pause button, I wonder? Or torches providing light when you are placing them, not just after they are placed? (So sorry, you can't have a light source while trying to place a light source).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Section Z posted:

So, deleting and creating a new character today after about 10 minutes of busywork the other night (Now I actually have techs listed in my computer! So getting Tech cards will not be completely useless) still sends me to the same garden world. All the trees and coal right by the teleport in port are still gone :allears: (Guess that treasure chest with the axe in it is also gone forever).

I coulda sworn I got a message about using a stone hoe to plant seeds the other night but it was not a crafting option at the wooden table at the time either, reset was partly so I could make sure to read that blurb more closely. The lack of banana seeds in my Apex starting inventory is also a sign of dark times ahead for the resistance. Hopefully whenever I get to that outpost they have some for sale.

I'm just gonna leave this here, hopefully I was wrong when I made these predictions. Gonna poke at Vanilla gameplay first, and hope the following expectations were too cynical.

All this talk about "Enable admin mode" and the Mine boss being more Darksouls than actual Darksouls isn't helping the optimism. Though people working on cool mods again certainly is :unsmith:

EDIT: Will some magical coding genius work out how to Mod in a pause button, I wonder? Or torches providing light when you are placing them, not just after they are placed? (So sorry, you can't have a light source while trying to place a light source).

The mine boss isn't impossible without admin mode, it's just really hard, especially if you are like me and bad at video games. You definitely need at least double jump and the bubble that negates fall damage along with a healthy stock of bandages, red stims, and a good food item.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Your universe is always the same once it's generated, no matter what character you're playing. You run into the problem of emptying your starting world out yeah, but you also get the benefit of letting your high level characters drop off materials for your low levels to help yourself power through the starter quests and get them going. If you want to reset everything, delete your universe files in the giraffe_storage folder in your Starbound directory. This won't effect your characters or their ships, but it will completely regen everything else next time you play.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Babe Magnet posted:

Your universe is always the same once it's generated, no matter what character you're playing. You run into the problem of emptying your starting world out yeah, but you also get the benefit of letting your high level characters drop off materials for your low levels to help yourself power through the starter quests and get them going. If you want to reset everything, delete your universe files in the giraffe_storage folder in your Starbound directory. This won't effect your characters or their ships, but it will completely regen everything else next time you play.

This is why building isn't really as pointless and some people think, building a well-stocked base on the starter world filled with good stuff is almost easy mode for new characters.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeliciousCookie posted:

The first boss in the mine place for the FTL is.. actually very easy once you get down his pattern. His second and third attack patterns have some extremely easy ways to avoid taking damage. I highly recommend bringing a shield along however, since until you understand how to avoid them, it can be helpful to block the beams to negate some of the damage.

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah sounds like some people forgot the metroid influence.

Except that Metroid controls are good. Most of the problems present in combat could be solved by removing the slow backwards walk. I'm astounded that anyone played with that for any length of time and declared it a good feature.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Schwack posted:

Except that Metroid controls are good. Most of the problems present in combat could be solved by removing the slow backwards walk. I'm astounded that anyone played with that for any length of time and declared it a good feature.

May I introduce you to the average Starbound player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Ragequit posted:

I have never used mods before today, but can't seem to get the illuminated ores one working properly. I created a mods folder in the Starbound directory, added the tiles and IlluminatedOres.modinfo file to it, and started up the game. No ore glows. What else am I missing here?

they go here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods

or if you're not running x64 windows then here:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods

• Locked thread