Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So uhh... I already did the "Torches just need wood thing" someone was talking about if you guys want. All of it's super easy, lol. I was going to make it so you could either use Wood, Plant Fiber, or just Cole, that way you don't have to worry about running out when you're balls deep in a cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
coal even.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Tenbux McGee posted:

I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.

Doesn't one of the basic techs negate fall damage? You should have all three techs by the time you do that mission.

Or do they only give you 2 tech cards?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Honestly ALOT of the boss fights get super easy when you get really good at timing your blocks. I had trouble with Dreadwing in the new update until I got the timing down to block his swoops. I had a plasma sniper rifle from an apex lab that would one shot most of his troops though.

He would still get me with that drat slam of his though :argh:

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

I'm putting all the mod folders in (Starboundgamefolder)/mods and they aren't working. Am I dumb or am I missing something?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenasscity posted:

I'm putting all the mod folders in (Starboundgamefolder)/mods and they aren't working. Am I dumb or am I missing something?

Starbound/girraffe_storage/mods

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Did they really take out asteroid fields? I liked those.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Did they really take out asteroid fields? I liked those.

They are still in. The newbie system has some sort of different generating mechanism and you start seeing much more varied planets once you fix the FTL if that's why you are asking.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

They are still in. The newbie system has some sort of different generating mechanism and you start seeing much more varied planets once you fix the FTL if that's why you are asking.

The one I saw was more barren than the ones I've seen pre-patch, but that could have been from being in a lower level system.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Anyone know where I go to find uranium? Is it on moons like Plutonium is or do I have to find a Radioactive planet?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Bear in the Woods posted:

The one I saw was more barren than the ones I've seen pre-patch, but that could have been from being in a lower level system.

Yeah, I think the world gen is only allowed to go nuts on the higher level worlds. The higher I go the more interesting it all gets.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fermented Tinal posted:

Anyone know where I go to find uranium? Is it on moons like Plutonium is or do I have to find a Radioactive planet?

Seems to be radioactive planets.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dandywalken posted:

Seems to be radioactive planets.

Which are the Tropical biome ones, right?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nope, they're specifically specified in the description to be highly radioactive. They can be any biome it seems.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dandywalken posted:

Nope, they're specifically specified in the description to be highly radioactive. They can be any biome it seems.

And what do I need to survive them? Red stims + bandages + food seems barely able to keep up with the damage ticks.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

And what do I need to survive them? Red stims + bandages + food seems barely able to keep up with the damage ticks.

You'll get anti-radiation tech for doing missions at the outpost. Look for a Hylotl who wants kelp.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

all mining and crafting games are bad

they're kind of cool to get high and gently caress around in sometimes. signs of life has an egg bazooka that you can shoot at chickens

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Awesome! posted:

they're kind of cool to get high and gently caress around in sometimes. signs of life has an egg bazooka that you can shoot at chickens

that's what mario party and other good games are for

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Bear in the Woods posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Pretty sure both asteroids & moons are completely barren and exist just for building, right now. The asteroid fields aren't gonna stay like that, but they decided to include them as-is rather than not include them at all.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Check out the system at X -229767419 Y 627491510 and the planet Beta X Her 538 V b.

Those coordinates take me to the Delta Muhlifain 137 system

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you guys can say whatever you want about the game but please don't be rude to each other in this thread!!

also turt keep up those mods, you're pretty much fixing all the problems I had with the game (cave gen and the backwards walking speed bugged me a lot)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tenbux McGee posted:

Those coordinates take me to the Delta Muhlifain 137 system

Strange, I just double checked and those are the right coordinates.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

you guys can say whatever you want about the game but please don't be rude to each other in this thread!!

:agreed:

this is a safe place

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Turtlicious, that cave mod legit rules.

I feel like there should be racial fuels, but it would be kind of pointless at this stage since there's not much fuel variety?
It just seems like, thematically, Glitch and Novakid should be still be able to fuel their goofy-rear end ships with coal.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

XboxPants posted:

Pretty sure both asteroids & moons are completely barren and exist just for building, right now. The asteroid fields aren't gonna stay like that, but they decided to include them as-is rather than not include them at all.

There's "barren and lifeless" worlds which are also meant for construction.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Desideratus was a goon, right? update that exploration mod, I remember it being pretty cool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yes Desi is a goon

ill send him a steam message

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Is the reason this only works with new characters because you otherwise need to use the _merge command? I tried to figure that thing out yesterday and I couldn't get it to work.

Has anybody beaten the Floran mission without cheating?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Desideratus was a goon, right? update that exploration mod, I remember it being pretty cool.

Eonwe posted:

yes Desi is a goon

ill send him a steam message

Punctual as gently caress steam message there! Sorry about vanishing I was just thinking maybe if I stopped updating for a year Chucklefish would hire me, I'd fit right in

I actually got like half my poo poo working and just never uploaded the new version, now that the stable is out I guess I'll look into updating everything this Sunday/Monday maybe?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

please do, I'm going to be making a section for goon mods in the OP eventually

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bilal posted:

Is the reason this only works with new characters because you otherwise need to use the _merge command? I tried to figure that thing out yesterday and I couldn't get it to work.

Has anybody beaten the Floran mission without cheating?

Yes :ssh:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to go ahead and take that annoying coffee quest, and make it actually give the tech card at each junction. (Also change the text to make it less grating and more, "Uhh that's nice... but...")

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Tenbux McGee posted:

I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.
edit: Wait, EVERY star I've looked at has one of those "incalculably ancient" gates. What the heck?

I have to second this. Mostly I think the big issue is the lasers do too much damage for a first boss. Doubly so since it has additional enemies at the bottom. I think less damage/slower lasers would probably be a bit more forgiving or perhaps just a simpler boss in general. First time I went in there, I had no idea what the hell the switches were for or that you needed them to do damage to the boss in general since well.. That was the first time that mechanic came up and there wasn't even a hint towards it prior that point. Having something more forgiving for an introduction to well.. Introduce people to the mechanic of the boss fight and the patterns would have been better. Doubly so that the patterns changed a lot, with the last one requiring you to stand in one of two places to dodge, while the other two required you to move a lot was a little unintuitive. Also needed some sort of checkpoint system.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am stuck jumping to a planet I need to jump to since it is the only desert planet. Tried save and quitting and jumping again. Same issues.

Also great that I am getting quests that I cannot finish yet since I am not far enough in the story but I cannot advance the story because I have not finished enough quests.

e: Sorry did I say story? I meant mandatory progression blockers.

e: loving :laffo:

Those are the two only quests available.

This is where I am in the main quest. Can you find the misstake?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So a few questions about the new balance re: materials.

1. Did they remove non-racial armors completely? The game offered me my racial Floran iron armor set, but there's no sign of the starter generic copper set anywhere.
2. If so, are copper, silver, gold, and other non-armor ores used for anything now? Once you upgrade your MM it seems like the only function they have at all is either refining into pixels or making generally worthless pickaxes.
3. Removing that makes it all feel kind of front-loaded. Once you get enough iron you can make iron racial armor, then almost immediately after you can make steel racial armor. I don't think I even had a chance to use my iron armor at all before the quest showed up to make steel armor. Especially considering there used to be 2 suits of armor in that progression that are gone now, it feels like I'm progressing through them too quickly.
4. Do ship upgrades take forever to start showing up? It feels kind of weird that I'm already at steel armor but I haven't gotten a single ship upgrade yet. I thought they'd toss you one early on just for storage's sake to get you started, but I guess not. Again, it just sort of comes down to that feeling of going too quickly through it.

Michaellaneous posted:

If you're crashing/freezing/stalling when you try to travel to the desert planet, that's just a bug, right? It's not a problem with the quests.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 30, 2015

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Michaellaneous posted:

I am stuck jumping to a planet I need to jump to since it is the only desert planet. Tried save and quitting and jumping again. Same issues.

Also great that I am getting quests that I cannot finish yet since I am not far enough in the story but I cannot advance the story because I have not finished enough quests.

e: Sorry did I say story? I meant mandatory progression blockers.

e: loving :laffo:

Those are the two only quests available.

How'd you unlock the Lunar base mission without making a spoon?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Fermented Tinal posted:

How'd you unlock the Lunar base mission without making a spoon?

It was a...quest, that I could take. Big, yellow explanation mark.

Vib Rib posted:

If you're crashing/freezing/stalling when you try to travel to the desert planet, that's just a bug, right? It's not a problem with the quests.

Yes I realize that. The fact was that it was the only desert planet, and I needed glass for the coffee mug. Found another one, so all is good.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 30, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Lmao at modding away all the garbage in one day

You're not living up to the chucklefish spirit my friend

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

So a few questions about the new balance re: materials.

1. Did they remove non-racial armors completely? The game offered me my racial Floran iron armor set, but there's no sign of the starter generic copper set anywhere.
2. If so, are copper, silver, gold, and other non-armor ores used for anything now? Once you upgrade your MM it seems like the only function they have at all is either refining into pixels or making generally worthless pickaxes.
3. Removing that makes it all feel kind of front-loaded. Once you get enough iron you can make iron racial armor, then almost immediately after you can make steel racial armor. I don't think I even had a chance to use my iron armor at all before the quest showed up to make steel armor. Especially considering there used to be 2 suits of armor in that progression that are gone now, it feels like I'm progressing through them too quickly.
4. Do ship upgrades take forever to start showing up? It feels kind of weird that I'm already at steel armor but I haven't gotten a single ship upgrade yet. I thought they'd toss you one early on just for storage's sake to get you started, but I guess not. Again, it just sort of comes down to that feeling of going too quickly through it.

1. yes
2. they are just used for refining and making pickaxes I think
3. yeah, it sucks. You get fast-tracked through the halfway completed progression
4. no idea bout this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I can't imagine that they'll just leave the armor out permanently though. That's like what, 10 full sets of fully-animated armor that they'd be dropping. Maybe next time they gently caress around with the progression we'll get them back, since after all, this is mostly just placeholder questing anyway.

• Locked thread