Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They're still in the files, I think. It may be my assets folders clashing, though.

If they're in the files, adding new recipes for them would be trivial. If they're not, still trivial, just need to find a copy of their files elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

When I delete my world will I get new quests or are they stuck?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think quests are tied to characters.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I basically need to make a new character to fix this issue.
I could also just cheat myself some steel I guess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's up with the boss? I'll try to fix what I can.

Also, I'm uploading a patch for backstep that should make it work for new and old characters. Need some testers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Michaellaneous posted:

So I basically need to make a new character to fix this issue.
I could also just cheat myself some steel I guess.

i just want to say that if you buy me video games i will accept you

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
Guys, be careful becaus theres a gamebreaking bug. which is that the game is incomplete and lovely

Stay Safe, Starbounders.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turtlicious posted:

So what's up with the boss? I'll try to fix what I can.

Also, I'm uploading a patch for backstep that should make it work for new and old characters. Need some testers.

I've actually got this mostly resolved. I'm just testing it now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're still using the _merge command, that's outdated, so some weirdness might result from it.

They redid how modding works again over the 9 month break, it's a little bit more complicated now but if it's better in the long run, so be it

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Rrussom posted:

Guys, be careful becaus theres a gamebreaking bug. which is that the game is incomplete and lovely

Stay Safe, Starbounders.

Yeah I'll stop playing for another few months and see what happens.

ps: I gave myself some steel bars, could not craft steel spoon.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're still using the _merge command, that's outdated, so some weirdness might result from it.

They redid how modding works again over the 9 month break, it's a little bit more complicated now but if it's better in the long run, so be it
Is there a good modding tutorial out there? I want to add pets or something else minor and cute.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So a few questions about the new balance re: materials.

1. Did they remove non-racial armors completely? The game offered me my racial Floran iron armor set, but there's no sign of the starter generic copper set anywhere.
2. If so, are copper, silver, gold, and other non-armor ores used for anything now? Once you upgrade your MM it seems like the only function they have at all is either refining into pixels or making generally worthless pickaxes.
3. Removing that makes it all feel kind of front-loaded. Once you get enough iron you can make iron racial armor, then almost immediately after you can make steel racial armor. I don't think I even had a chance to use my iron armor at all before the quest showed up to make steel armor. Especially considering there used to be 2 suits of armor in that progression that are gone now, it feels like I'm progressing through them too quickly.
4. Do ship upgrades take forever to start showing up? It feels kind of weird that I'm already at steel armor but I haven't gotten a single ship upgrade yet. I thought they'd toss you one early on just for storage's sake to get you started, but I guess not. Again, it just sort of comes down to that feeling of going too quickly through it.

If you're crashing/freezing/stalling when you try to travel to the desert planet, that's just a bug, right? It's not a problem with the quests.

1. There's a couple generic (terrible) helmets that unlock at Titanium tier if you want to play dress up.
2. Those ores are just for (incredible) pickaxes. The copper poo poo pickaxe is better than the gold+titanium upgrade matter manipulator. The silver pickaxe is literally twice as fast for digging through dirt, and platinum is literally twice as fast for rock and ore. Make the best pickaxes you can and get used to reserving 5-6 spaces in your inventory for them. It's annoyingly Minecrafty, yes, but you save so much time plinking at walls so you can gather more ore. Don't worry about saving bits of really good ores you only have a couple of. The only exception to that rule is silver, because you actually need that MM upgrade to progress.
3. Eh, your first gear is obsolete no more so than the first tiers of gear in Terraria, Minecraft, or any RPG. I mean, it's only 20 chunks of ore for your set of iron. I had that well before my first set of (2, maybe 3) pickaxes broke and I headed back up to craft more. Do you really need to be at rock bottom for as long as you're at the top?
4. The first ship upgrade requires 2 diamonds to complete the quest for, and 20 bars of durasteel are needed to actually activate the upgrade. If you're at steel you're still 2 tiers away. I had 30 some spare diamonds when the quest became available after a mining trip that used up 7 platinum pickaxes.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Why yes I do want to use pick axes in this space game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Is there a good modding tutorial out there? I want to add pets or something else minor and cute.

I don't think so for the latest version. I had to learn it by reverse-engineering existing mods that had a better handle on it and reading the blog post about it over and over again. I'll take a look around the forums.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Not really, you want to look at how they did what they did, copy it and modify it slightly. There is a modders wiki but I've had a helluva time finding it.

If you're modding values in the config, you should make a config.patch file

http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/

This is easy enough, click on the patch button, post the source code in both boxes then make your changes in the first box and click dif, it'll generate the code you need to overwrite those specific values, that way more then 1 person can mod the same file.

e: You want your modded config with the diff code to be .config.patch that way it'll just patch the original config instead of overwriting it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If you're one of the many goons having issues with Starbound, don't worry! Here's a quick guide to help.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/modding-guides.34001/

Found this. Thought it was out of date, but it looks like the post was edited a few weeks ago, and I'm zipping around the linked tutorials and it all looks like it's up to date. This is just general hot-tos and syntax and stuff, I'm not sure where you would begin with introducing pets.

E: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/wild-things.2338/

this mod has pets, and it works with the latest version, so I would start here and see how they put it together.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 31, 2015

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Is there an admin command or save editor or something to make the ship work properly? I did the terrible erchius crystal cave with a friend, and we both turned the quest in but his sail keeps on telling him to fix the FTL drive with erchius crystals. We did the dungeon again and tried buying him crystals from the shop but neither worked.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
Stumbled across this protip while downloading the winter update, put it to good use:

code:
Open the Steam client and log into your account.
Go to the Library tab and locate Starbound.
Right click Starbound and select "Delete local content".
Under the Start/Window menu, open "Control Panel"
Open "Folder Options"
Under the "View" tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders" then click "OK".
Open the "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Temp\" folder and delete any files related to Starbound inside.
Open the "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\" and "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Settings\" folders, then delete anything in these folders related to Starbound.
Consider the life choices you made that led up to your decision to buy into Early Access.

stuntwaffle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 31, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

good tip, I'll add it to the OP

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

What's with all these retards trolling this thread?

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
joke's on you i got this game for free

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo, don't do that, it'll wreck your computer, a lot more then just starbound resides in your appdata folder.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a history behind the trolling, time will tell if C-Fish continues to merit the same level of ridicule. It looks like their plans not only include faster updates (though, we've heard this before...) but largely content updates, so if they actually update the game at a reasonable pace the trolling will filter out over time. Even if it doesn't though, who cares lol people are having fun

also please don't be rude to other posters thank you

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

stuntwaffle posted:

Stumbled across this protip while downloading the winter update, put it to good use:

code:

Should probably draw the line at stuff that if some clueless person actually follows some part of it their computer breaks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm not actually adding it to the op

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

there's a history behind the trolling, time will tell if C-Fish continues to merit the same level of ridicule. It looks like their plans not only include faster updates (though, we've heard this before...) but largely content updates, so if they actually update the game at a reasonable pace the trolling will filter out over time. Even if it doesn't though, who cares lol people are having fun

also please don't be rude to other posters thank you

yea this pretty much

if updates come out then people will just be enjoying the game

thats how Games threads in TYOOL 2015 work

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

yea this pretty much

if updates come out then people will just be enjoying the game

Exactly.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
my previous post was too hosed up for the Starbound thread :twisted: :hellyeah: :black101: :flame:

also this, or at least it's how it should be:

Eonwe posted:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Hey, after the update Starbound runs like absolute garbage. Can anyone drop some tips on improving FPS as there dont seem to be any options in the game to do this?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're not running the OpenGL client, try it and see if it helps. If you are, I can't think of anything that would help you, other than letting you know that you're not the only person with this issue apparently so a fix may be issued soon while they're in bugfix mode.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Gordon posted:

Hey, after the update Starbound runs like absolute garbage. Can anyone drop some tips on improving FPS as there dont seem to be any options in the game to do this?

Run the OpenGL version.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

This will make the crystal boss a lot easier if you are having problems. You'll probably still need to learn to parry, especially for the last part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8es81o4r4xr7h0m/bossrebalance.7z?dl=0

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Captain Gordon posted:

If DirectX runs like crap try OpenGL and if that runs like crap try 64bit OpenGL and if that runs like crap then follow stuntwaffle's guide I guess.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

This will make the crystal boss a lot easier if you are having problems. You'll probably still need to learn to parry, especially for the last part.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8es81o4r4xr7h0m/bossrebalance.7z?dl=0

Oh wow, that's cool, did you just include the files you changed or the whole boss folder?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turtlicious posted:

Oh wow, that's cool, did you just include the files you changed or the whole boss folder?

Yeah I just grabbed it all because i'm not really clear on what's been changed w/r/t modding. I edited the crystalboss.monstertype and all of the beamattack.monsterskill files located in \skills

To use the patch function do I just append .patch to all of the files i edited and only include those?

I made a mod page if anyone want to use that to get to the dropbox link for some reason:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/easier-crystal-boss-upbeat-giraffe.2490/

I play with some people that are really bad at video games, so i'll probably make all of the bosses easier as I get to them.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm glad of all these fixes, I like that they exist, good work guys

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Yeah I just grabbed it all because i'm not really clear on what's been changed w/r/t modding. I edited the crystalboss.monstertype and all of the beamattack.monsterskill files located in \skills

To use the patch function do I just append .patch to all of the files i edited and only include those?

I made a mod page if anyone want to use that to get to the dropbox link for some reason:
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/easier-crystal-boss-upbeat-giraffe.2490/

I play with some people that are really bad at video games, so i'll probably make all of the bosses easier as I get to them.

I don't think you can patch lua files, so just straight up replacing is the smart idea.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Not really, you want to look at how they did what they did, copy it and modify it slightly. There is a modders wiki but I've had a helluva time finding it.

If you're modding values in the config, you should make a config.patch file

http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/json/

This is easy enough, click on the patch button, post the source code in both boxes then make your changes in the first box and click dif, it'll generate the code you need to overwrite those specific values, that way more then 1 person can mod the same file.

e: You want your modded config with the diff code to be .config.patch that way it'll just patch the original config instead of overwriting it.

This is really the only tool you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Hey, anyone who's having a lot of trouble with later bosses, make sure you've equipped your armor to the left column, not the right column that's full of dark grey eyes. I remember someone saying they got one-shot by the Floran boss, and that simply doesn't happen if you're in durasteel (which is required to unlock the quest). But if you only equipped your armor to the cosmetic slot, well, that'd be a problem.

• Locked thread