Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!
Greetings, I love Starbound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Stumbled across this protip while downloading the winter update, put it to good use:

code:
Open the Steam client and log into your account.
Go to the Library tab and locate Starbound.
Right click Starbound and select "Delete local content".
Under the Start/Window menu, open "Control Panel"
Open "Folder Options"
Under the "View" tab, enable "Show hidden files and folders" then click "OK".
Open the "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Temp\" folder and delete any files related to Starbound inside.
Open the "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\" and "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Settings\" folders, then delete anything in these folders related to Starbound.
Consider the life choices you made that led up to your decision to buy into Early Access.

stuntwaffle fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 31, 2015

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

my previous post was too hosed up for the Starbound thread :twisted: :hellyeah: :black101: :flame:

also this, or at least it's how it should be:

Eonwe posted:

thats how Games threads in TYOOL 2015 work

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Guns are awful. I have yet to find a decent one and the crafted suck too. Not to mention, if you dont use the Magitech lovely armor you can only shoot one round before energy needs to recharge.

The Cerulium Technomancy stuff does less than 10 damage to max level humanoid mobs. (Werent those mobs supposed to be balanced with the patch?) Seriously, Impervium gear is the only stuff that semi-lets you live at end game. There are a ton of planets with mobs and humanoids that 1 shot you while taking a minimum of 4(mobs) and 15(humanoids) hits to kill using the strongest 2handed weapons. WTF is CF thinking?

I went from being "OMG AWESOME :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to "gently caress this game, it sucks rear end" in the span of about 10 minutes. But thats also partially becuase Apex Lockers got nerfed and i lost 700+ bars of the 3 end game metals and almost 1k diamonds. gently caress this game. Im gonna go play Terraria which sucks rear end but not as much as Starbound.

welcome to Starbound :henget:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Doesn't matter anyways. Game refuses to want me to play it so gently caress it. Uninstalling it once more.

I'll give it another go in a year.

I have this problem, as well,,

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Kly posted:

where is this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697698

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Thug Lessons posted:

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my rear end and mouth!

qft

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does starbound have a release date yet? Please do not reply with rape jokes like when I asked in the last thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgE991VDwM

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

you can say literally anything you want in the Starbound thread -- you can even trash the game, its developers, compare Starbound to a dick and want to suck it, gently caress it, etc. -- but FOR PETE'S SAKE don't talk trash about the OP, capisce?

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Afraid of Audio posted:

Starbound is a video game, confirm/deny?

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

"fucklepiss" owned, biitch

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

The shitposting was better when there were funny gifs.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

david... posted:

I don't think these games are for you :smaug:

david...

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

:stwoon:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Smuggins posted:

The changes make me happy, Starbound is a good game.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

the gameis a penis

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I HAVE A DREAM

The tutorial planet teaches the basics- how to move, fight, mine, and recruit NPCs. Maybe there's a wounded guy-- why not a buddy who was in your escape pod, but didn't fare so well in the crash? He needs shelter ("NPCs need beds, doors, walls and lights!"), medicine herbs (which, along with food crops, are the base of Farming progression), protection from alien wolves, oh great now he's better and needs a gun so the two of you can hike up a mountain so your distress signal reaches space?

Alright, so a ship comes down and teleports you up, and kidnaps you and the captain is an rear end in a top hat. You break out and fight (you need control of the engine and bridge, do you dispatch your friend to one while you go to the other, or go together? Introducing the NPC Dispatch System tutorial!) So you blow up the ship, the captain gets to a shuttle, you beam aboard. And when you confront the pirate captain, you are given a choice, kill the captain or arrest him to give to the local Spacecops? Either way, now you have a Tier 1 ship. And the sandbox begins.

Your buddy doesn't have anything better to do, so he'll hang around until you dismiss him or something. He'll stay on the ship acting as a guide "Why not go [progress the story], [player]?" And you can ask him to come along on your self-guided missions. You're in a space-civ consellation, why not find an inhabited planet to get missions or a vacant world to claim?

Oh, some distress signals. Go or ignore? Story-important ones are clearly marked as important (and don't time out), others you can hunt down or ignore at your leisure. One teaches you about wormholes, another about Why The Big Bad Is A Jerk, another is a mining outpost and when you get there it's overrun with native wildlife. The boss of that last one is tired of dealing with the aliens you just made extinct, so he sells you the deed for cheap. Boom, Outpost Upgrade And Management tutorial.

Eventually your mining outpost either decays (if you don't man it) or is attacked (if you do), which then triggers a How To Defend Your poo poo tutorial.

You are taught how to make a Farming Outpost. They don't work well if there's industry on the same world, so there's a reason to colonize multiple worlds (or spend some resources on clean industry). This provides food and/or medicine you can use to feed NPCs you have under your 'rule' or you can trade to neutral/friendly civs. Medicine is worth more so it attracts more raiders. Different foods grow in different climates so you are encouraged to settle multiple worlds again. (Or build biodomes)

You are taught how to make Research Outposts. They're valuable and attract raiders, but you can hide them well underground so as long as there isn't something obvious (say, a mine or farm) on the surface to give them away, they're pretty safe. You can research all sorts of fun toys, techs, ships, weapons, armor, engines, mining and farming equipment, or just farm out your equipment to a civ for cash and favors. Larger labs and their reactors generate more heat and are thus harder to hide so you either need better defenses or, again, multiple planets.

So you're left to Skyrim the galaxy for a bit. If you focus on the main story, you can head off the Big Bad's plans and do good in the world, and it gives you juuuuust enough levels/gear/resources as quest rewards in order to get by. If you don't care, you get wealthy and/or powerful, but the BB starts conquering poo poo, and launches high-threat attacks both on NPC constellations as well as your own holdings. Powerful NPC Civs can resist for a while and start giving you "evac this planet", "hold the line", "attack this enemy base to take heat off us" missions, and food/medical supplies go way up in price so you can get :10bux: by fighting or merchanting. If you interact closely with a civ, they do very well in resisting the BB and can hold forever as you and they level up.

As the game progresses, the Big Bad gets mad at you (either for directly opposing him or for indirectly supporting your allies) and Death Star's a planet you like and/or Ups The Stakes in some way. Maybe two or three times depending on how long you want the game to be. Responding appropriately in a timely way means there's no lasting harm, as long as the player knows (1) "I lost those assets because I hosed up", or (2) "I would have CERTAINLY lost those assets if I hadn't acted".

Its worth noting that while direct attacks will become commonplace as you gain power/influence, they are never so annoying that you can't sandbox around them. If you play passively or stealthily, you are free to build whatever without making enemies or fearing the story might progress without you. At tier 1 as a complete unknown, you could build a large pretty castle and decorate your ship for days and days without anything bad happening, and without (much) material restrictions.

At some point you say "alright I'm a walking juggernaut of doom and conquest, time to gently caress up the Big Bad" or, "I can hire these black-ops supersoldiers and provide them high-tech support, particularly by launching interplanetary smartbombs or drones to ensure their success" or even "I have recreated Mass Effect by supporting these several civilizations so now we're going to band together in an unstoppable fleet"

Any one of those plans will work okay.

Or if you're a completionist sperg, you beam down on the planet in your Gigapower Armor Mk VIII and frankly illegal/immorally powerful weapons, backed up by mercs that you've granted similar equipment, while your support team nukes poo poo from orbit (with orbital weapons you've researched, designed, built and deployed) WHILE friendly civ's fleets cut off reinforcements and keep you and your orbital weapons safe. The Big Bad just :psyduck:s at you and you flatten him. The main game is won, congrats!

Then the optional Superboss From Beyond shows up, and is a murderous, nightmare-inducing multi-stage fight even with maxed-out everything (so there's a good reason for megaspergs to megasperg, and there's a true sense of accomplishment for smashing him). The Superboss doesn't move aggressively like the Big Bad does so you're much more free to sandbox.

Now THAT'S a game, and starbound is capable of supporting probably 80% of that right now.

[wayne and garth making humping motions] schwing!

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

:siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren:
:siren: I'M PUTTING THE VIDEO GAME INSIDE OF MY rear end in a top hat :siren:
:siren: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :siren:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

ok done

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

it's in my butt now.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Thank you Richard.

Dick 'Yanka likes the dick

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I <3 Starbound~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

Join the party!

I'll check it out after I defrag my dying laptop which can barely run Solitaire without chugging to an inexorable crawl. I hear the game is good now??????????

• Locked thread