Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Hope I'm not the only one getting his rear end stomped flat by the mining facility boss. Just hit death #10, and haven't managed to fire the mining laser a second time yet. I was really liking the mission until I got to the boss.
There is a possibility that I'm retarded, since I got stuck on the Gaping Dragon in Dark Souls for ~14 deaths.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I picked a thorn fruit and learned to craft a thorny needler which appears to be like the needler from halo.

Anyone else find some cool items that way?
I got a two handed cactus weapon that hurls cactus barbs when swung, and I think I got it from busting up a cactus on a desert world. All I know for sure is that I didn't have it when I landed and I cant remember opening any chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I beat the mining facility boss by having cheat engine slow the game by 50%. Fixing any one of the following issues would make that boss not be infuriating:
The lasers hit for too much damage
The lasers are a little too fast
Falling from the top three platforms is fatal
Killing the spawning enemies at the bottom uses most/all of your energy (making you unable to dash or pulse jump to save yourself)
Stage 3 lasers are unavoidable unless you're at the bottom (hope you killed all the enemies!) or the top (hope the weird platforming controls don't screw up!)

That said, its not a bad game or anything. They just made one hell of an unforgiving tutorial boss.
edit: Wait, EVERY star I've looked at has one of those "incalculably ancient" gates. What the heck?

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Check out the system at X -229767419 Y 627491510 and the planet Beta X Her 538 V b.

Those coordinates take me to the Delta Muhlifain 137 system

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

Pakled posted:

Rush up to the top while the boss is doing its animation where it spits out an enemy. Having the fall-damage-negating-bubble tech to shave some time off your descent at this point helps.

This. Very much this. I did the boss without the fall damage negating tech, and good god how I suffered.

JerikTelorian posted:

So the Dreadwing fight is super annoying and unfun. Any suggestions for how to get past this thing?
I could see the fight being interesting if he had 1/3 or even half the health, but this is just a slog.
The dreadwing fight was waaay easier than the mining facility. It sounds absurd, but you can parry the UFO's ground slam attack AND the carpet-bombing strafe. I used a one-handed grenade launcher on the UFO/tanks and a heavy pistol that fired bone shards against infantry penguins. If you're stuck with no guns/mining facility guns, poke around the surface of some planets for chests and mushroom arms salesman. Trying to do that fight with melee weapons is suicidal, as some of the infantry penguins seem to suicide bomb themselves on death and the tanks fire pretty damaging shells. You want guns you can use with one hand, because you will wind up getting hit by the UFO's slams. Shields are your friend.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

XboxPants posted:

:wtc: And is it still barren of ore, too? 'Cause that was at least a semi-reasonable "stopgap until we decide what to do" solution. Is sand basically just a recolored dirt now?

I'm still going to hold out a foolish hope that sandphysics are just being reworked and will come back, but I know it's stupid to think that.

Huh? I just spent a while yesterday loving with collapsing sand. That other guy probably encountered the "warm sand", because "fine sand" and gravel slides are very much still in my game. Warm sand never had any physics on it before. There are no ores in fine sand or gravel now.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I have yet to find a micro dungeon...

I've stumbled across the old Avian tombs and Floran prisons, a bizarre Glitch themed treasure room, underground structures using the new Outpost tiles/items, and a few human and Apex micro-labs so far. Others have mentioned the old Apex obstacle courses that provide blank tech cards.

LAY-ZX posted:

(dreadwing stuff)

I didn't have trouble with him. I died once, and it was because I thought I could finish him off with one more shot before getting hit by the reinforcements he calls in. The other guy was having trouble so I suggested guns, assuming he was meleeing everything. There can be a hell of a lot of bullets flying around if you're neglecting the reinforcements, hence the ranged advice.

New topic - Culinary starbounders: What's your favorite food item? I've been neglecting my kitchen.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 1, 2015

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

AndroidHub posted:

Yeah, I specifically said the lantern on a stick is not really good enough but thanks bud :thumbsup:

Anyone have tips for the second penguin boss? he's kickin my rear end.

What is it that's getting you killed in that fight? Ground slams? Tanks? Carpetbombing?
Edit: Wait, poo poo, second penguin boss. Nevermind.

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

Still haven't beaten the mine boss :(

Though, I also stopped after the second try because holy poo poo so many pink guys in your way. For now, I built myself a new space shack and hosed around a bit.

Like, am I the only one here who feels that the movement controls in Starbound are bad and floaty? I'd attribute most of my failure against the boss to that, because I've fallen to my death mostly. For a game that includes dungeons where you have to make perfect jumps, and generally seems big on precise moves, the controls suck rear end imo.

To everyone who has ever died of fall damage and gotten pissed off, like me, behold thy salvation:

This tech is available with your very first blank tech card. As long as you remember to press F while falling, you will never die from poor platforming controls again. Unless you land in lava. Unless there is a later "head" tech that causes beautiful women to emerge from my computer to shower me with sexual favors, this thing is never getting unequipped. EVER.

Tenbux McGee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

(OMGWTFBBQ boatload of stuff chucklefish should had thought of)

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Hollow worlds looks rather interesting, assuming its not too common. Definitely running this when I get the chance.

Would all this biome trickery fix the problem normal worlds have where the same "mini-dungeon" (more like mini-shack) repeats constantly across a world at roughly the same depth?
Also how does the mix-and-match leaf system affect saplings? Do you get what that "base" tree would have been, or are saplings procedurally generated to keep the randomly picked leaf type? Or do they not drop saplings at all?

• Locked thread