Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Might as well have a general grab bag thread for all the miscellany cities that aren't quite culinary destinations.

This week I'm in Salt Lake City in the downtown area next to the Salt Palace convention center. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance and they're dare I say somewhat modern looking, and there are plenty of wine bars around here as well because I guess they're desperately trying to convince everyone that people drink here. Anyone got recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I feel a little bad that this thread is going unused. Sadly, I don't have any suggestions for SLC. Only drove through it, didn't stop to eat. :(

Anyone have any suggestions for Portland, OR? My fiancee and I plan on visiting next weekend. Hard mode: vegan (I guess not all that hard, seeing as it's loving Portland).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's ok I got a bunch of suggestions from tardhat

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My brother lives in SLC and swears by the Copper Onion.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

My brother lives in SLC and swears by the Copper Onion.

I went to the Copper Onion on a work trip and it was great. Best place I've been to in slc, although I haven't explored that much. There's a decent bar right on the main drag called the beehive or some thing that's ok.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Daily Forecast posted:

I feel a little bad that this thread is going unused. Sadly, I don't have any suggestions for SLC. Only drove through it, didn't stop to eat. :(

Anyone have any suggestions for Portland, OR? My fiancee and I plan on visiting next weekend. Hard mode: vegan (I guess not all that hard, seeing as it's loving Portland).
My sister took me to Queen of Sheba and I've had a craving for good Ethiopian every now and then ever since. gently caress, my mouth is watering just looking at their menu.

Any of the East Side Delis are the absolute poo poo. They also have vegan options available.

That aside, we're going to El Paso at the end of February. Any good suggestions there?

kinmik fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 31, 2015

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Utica NY (315 upstate). We used to be known for decent Italian food. Tommy Lasorda gave high praises because he's a fat gently caress. Population was huge 100 years ago, Italian/Polish/Irish.

Now it's a refugee city with tons of eastern Europeans, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Ethiopians, etc. A lot of refugees got grants to start businesses, so we can eat pretty drat good cheap. I under-represent the Asian places here probably because they're always switching up and moving, but they're my favorite to discover blindly.

O'Scugnizzos Pizza. Sauce on top. Incredible dough. 100+ years there same family . Sausage is a must, long-hots if you're into that too. You can get it fully loaded and it's like eating deep dish with a thin crispy crust. I don't like their "special", I think they add raw garlic to the sauce. But you can't go wrong with any other toppings. Best of both worlds. A+++

Anything from Pulaski Meat Market. It's in the ghetto, and only locals seem to know it's existence. I don't think they advertise. They absolutely have the best smoked/cured stuff I've found upstate. The kielbasa is the most amazing, and they have a garlic kielbasa too and a dozen other sausages I can't name. The 10 or so different variety of pierogi are all baller. There's a bacon wrapped pork loin that they smoke I'm addicted to. It's got the best aspects of ham and roast pork at the same time.

Utica Greens, at any italian dining establishment, everyone has their favorite. For my money the bowling alley in Frankfort has the best... Nobody uses the same recipe, but it's escarole sauteed in chicken stock with garlic, long hots, prosciutto or Guanciale, more garlic, cherry peppers if you like it hot. Some throw breadcrumbs on at the end and broil a few seconds. Some melt mozz. Some do parm. It's a competitive thing that keeps everyone on their toes.

Giambotta, which may be completely bastardized from some real Italian dish. It's like a ... deep dish fritatta full of sausage and greens and potatoes I guess. Fry the poo poo out of some breakfast stuff, dump a bunch of beaten egg on it, feed it to drunks. Some serve it firm, some runny, IDFK what is more authentic because it's just a crazy bastard drunk dish.

Mushroom stew: More love from our native pollock population. Pork sausage, peppers and all kinds of mushrooms (usually a variety of dried) in spicy tomato broth. Best eaten from any hole in the wall pizzeria. Little Roma is v good.

Lebanese : Zeina's on Varick St. There isn't anything non-extraordinary there, and the owners are friendly and love talking about anything. They deserve to be doing 100 tables a day, but it's a poo poo town. They're on THE bar street where all the night action is, but usually only open for lunch. Maybe dinner on weekends.

There's also MORE great Lebanese in the shopping center, the owner ran the Gyro cart outside Home Depot for 20+ years before starting a real restaurant with his wife. The kibbeh tartare dish (i forget the name) is amazeballs, and I always bring some home to fry with breakfast. Owned by the coolest hardest working people around.

Japanese: Geisha 2 on Bank Place. gently caress the drat hibachi joints. This place was doing authentic japanese 25 years ago when it wasn't trendy. Shirt & tie kinda joint.

Tex Mex : Rio Grande baby. The carnitas are proper confit chunks for my oral pleasure, not shredded/broiled orange juice sillyness. Killer big wet burritos, also complimentary 3 kinds of salsa and endless fresh chips avail. Owner is awesome. Negro Modela goes with every dish.

Pho Mekong is boss for soup, but you have to go down the street to little vietnam to find a Bahn Mi. That's hit or miss, but we have killer grocery stores.

Italian Pastry - Cafe Florentine for old school, Cafe Canole in the burbs for top notch new stuff.

I've lived in bigger cities with nothing but chain restaurants and traditional diners, so I can't hate my lovely city too much.

someusername fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 1, 2015

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
SLC: Get kouign amann at Les Madeleines

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Currently in Phoenix, after a week here I have three recs:

Richardson: a local landmark apparently, pretty good tex-mex style food. Nice atmosphere.

Chelsea kitchen: just your standard new American restaurant but done very well. They have a rotisserie they use that puts out some great chicken

Barrio cafe: amazing Mexican food. You can't miss with any of the specialties and they have 200 tequilas on offer. Real good stuff, not loaded with cheese and sour cream and crap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
SLC report:

Beerhive is hit and miss... Fish and chips that were nice and crispy on Friday were soggy and undercooked on Saturday (the fries were crispy both days though). Reuben was great. Great selection of beers and their liquor prices were appreciated by someone coming from LA.

Copper Onion is great. Lemony ricotta dumpling appetizers were delicious. Brisket BBQ biscuit was also great, as was the hollandaise on the slightly overcooked sunny up egg.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah but how was the soda at Dickie's BBQ?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Saw's Soul Kitchen - amazing soul food joint. tiny place with food that's pretty stellar no matter what your order. get the pork and greens or smoked wings. Also get the loving white bbq sauce.
Red Mountain Crawfish Company - guys who sell boiled and live crawfish, from Louisiana, up here during season. Very nice guys and can't give enough props.
Red Pearl - Huge Asian food market and restaurant. Featured on Andrew Zimmerman. Actually good and they have the most sticky rice!
Dreamland BBQ - Great ribs. Great BBQ. Served with bread and sauce. Their half chicken is pretty baller too.
John City Diner - A dinner like menu and an upscale location. Very good mixed drinks, local beer selection and food to boot.
Hamburger heaven - Greasy relatively local chain of burger joints.
Milos - fast food. 'famous' sweet tea that'll give you diabetes, but is delicious. Try their hamburger with their Milo's sauce.
Jim and Nicks - local BBQ chain that's a bit more upscale than most prices included. They raise their own brand of hogs to use for their pork and have solid offerings all around. Also ask for the white bbq sauce.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but that's what I can think of off hand.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 3, 2015

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Any recommendations for Saratoga Springs, NY? I'm stuck up there quite often for work...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Someone tell me where to eat in Jacksonville besides Burrito Gallery and Blind Rabbit. I need better sushi then my strip mall guy does.

Btw, eat at Burrito Gallery (E.Adams St) and Blind Rabbit (Kings Street) Ooh, and Engine 15 in Beaches. I still need to try Taco Lu (next to Engine 15). And go to Riverside Arts Market on saturday (except in winter).

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 9, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Denver, CO (just stuff I've tried):

Downtown
Brewery Bar II - delicious gringo-style rellenos (if you go here, get a relleno) with a great pork green chile on top. This is where you go when you want good food but you don't want to be surrounded by 20-something yuppies and hipsters. Relatively cheap and filling (~$20-30 for dinner for two without margaritas, etc)

Panzano - northern Italian food in the bottom of the swanky Hotel Monaco. A bit overpriced and frou-frou for me but if I'm in the mood for Italian food of a more-foodie less-comfort style than Cafe Jordano, this is where I like to go.

Snooze - phenomenal breakfast food, I highly recommend their pancakes and french toast. Somewhat expensive for a breakfast, but the big thing here is you'll probably have to wait an hour for your table, which gives you plenty of time to go down the road a bit to...

Crema Coffeehouse - delicious coffee and some pastries/sandwiches. I haven't explored many cafes around Denver but this place is up there with many of the cafes I visited in Seattle. Great to pair with Snooze for a Saturday/Sunday brunch. EDIT: I've finally tried their food (Korean BBQ pulled pork sandwich, pork belly banh mi sandwich, greens salad and orzo salad) and it was all delicious. I will definitely be eating here again.

Sushi Den (not really "downtown" - south of Denver between Lakewood and Aurora) - probably the best sushi you will get in Denver. It's pricey but delicious, and it has decent ramen as well (another thing Denver lacks). I recommend going for a mix of nigiri rather than the rolls, and the aburi nigiri is especially delicious.

Acorn (also not really "downtown" but whatever) - another hip "new American" food place, similar to Linger and they change their menu seasonally. Good, overpriced, but they sometimes have donuts that earn them a special place in my heart. Also good cocktails.

Highland
Linger - mish-mash of "new American" food - Asian influences, southwest/texmex influences, all sorts of stuff. This is where you go when you want good food and to be surrounded by yuppies and hipsters. Also delicious cocktails. Pricier, probably north of $50 for two depending on how much stuff you get. I'd recommend any of their bao/bun sliders and any of their benedicts, though they change their menu fairly often.

Little Man Ice Cream - outside Linger, absolutely delicious ice cream with flavors changing every day or every week, not sure. Probably some of the best fruit-flavored ice cream and sorbet I've had.

Cebiche - Denver has a few good Peruvian restaurants around town, but this is my personal favorite. Their ceviche and aji de gallina are fantastic. Pricier than some of the other Peruvian places around but worth it to a neophyte in terms of Peruvian food.

Lakewood
Cafe Jordano - absolutely delicious comfort Italian food. Get any of their chicken dishes and you'll be impressed. Relatively cheap ($25-35 for two), really filling, don't bother with counting calories when you're here.

Frijoles Colorado - delicious cubano sandwiches and they have specials on Friday - if they have paella, grab it. Also good cafe con leche and guava pastries. A bit overpriced for a cubano but it's worth it.

He Xing Garden - probably one of the more authentic Chinese places, this place specializes in northern (Dongbei) Chinese food. In Denver, you can find decent to great Vietnamese food/pho in every shopping center, but finding good Japanese and Chinese food is a bitch. If you come to He Xing, order from the last couple pages of the menu. Especially good are the sweet and sour pork ("pork in a traditional sweet and sour sauce" - not that American Chinese food crap) and stewed chicken and mushroom with noodles.

Devil's Food - Snooze meets Linger/Acorn. Good breakfast food and some southern US-inspired dishes, also great pastries. They also had the closest thing to a real "chicken and waffles" of all the places I've tried here (gently caress you, Euclid Hall, that poo poo is not chicken and waffles) so it holds a special place in my heart.

Golden
Bob's Atomic Burgers - great burgers and great sandwich specials. Not much else to say.

Sherpa House - a mix of Nepalese and Indian food. Absolutely delicious food and great chai. If you come to Denver in the winter and need a place to eat on your way to/from the mountains, this place is a great cure for the cold.

Places I've Yet To Visit But Are On "Best Denver Restaurants" Lists:
Frasca
Colt & Gray (heard great things from friends)
Bittersweet
Mizuna (heard great things from friends)
Basta
Luca
Beast & Bottle (heard great things from friends)

Also shout-out to La Botana in Thornton - best Mexican food I've had in town so far and it's right down the road from me.

There's also some decent stuff in Boulder but I'm too lazy to make the trip out there that often. Zoe Ma Ma is a decent Taiwanese food place but IMHO most of the food in Boulder is overpriced "new American fare" and "farm to table" that all tastes pretty similar, getting that :20bux: from CU Boulder students with too much money to spend on kale chips and microbrews.

If you came to Denver for a weekend and wanted a taste of "Colorado" food I'd suggest Brewery Bar II, La Botana (I'm sure there are other great Mexican places around, too), Snooze + Crema and Linger + Little Man.

Denver's food scene has a lot of "foodie" places, though. If you wanted to come for that, I'd say google "5280's best restaurants" and pick out a few at random, taking care that 4/5 of the places are all Linger/Acorn-esque "new American fare" stuff that will try to impress you with their variation of pork belly & watermelon salad and $15 cocktails or some poo poo (all of which is delicious, by the way).

EDIT: Some additional places
LAO Wang Noodle House - only non-dim sum place where you'll get good xiao long bao (soup dumplings, and they're better than what I've had at the local dim sum places), good potstickers and they have decent noodle dishes too (their dan dan noodles especially). It won't blow your mind especially if you have experience with some of the authentic Chinese food from LA or NYC or elsewhere, but for Denver it'll do.

J's Noodles Star Thai (AKA Star Thai 2, the one on Federal) - two locations, one on Federal (right next to LAO Wang) and one further in Lakewood. Good Thai food for a decent price, the place I go when I want some prik pow.

Axios Estiatorio - delicious Greek place over in the Tennyson St. area. Homemade dolmades and a moussaka that I'm still dreaming about a couple weeks later.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 4, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Any recommendations for good places to eat in Honolulu?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

cyberia posted:

I visited there a few times, mostly ate Japanese food. I highly recommend Sunrise Restaurant, great Okinawan food. I don't know about the sushi, but I really liked the soups and noodle soups.

Now for some Philadelphia recs:

Bistrot la Minette - Sort of pricey French place off South Street but I really enjoyed it when I went there. I think I got the roasted rabbit. It's pretty popular though, so it gets rather crowded. Its restaurant week deal is stellar too.

Terakawa Ramen - In Chinatown. This place has what I think is the best ramen in Philly. I tried out Nom Nom Ramen, Ramen Bar, Hiro Ramen House...this place is hands down the best. Their curries ain't bad either.

Shiroi Hana - Center City, Japanese. It's reasonably priced and authentic. I typically go for lunch, when it's cheaper, and get a nabeyaki udon.

Spice C - In Chinatown, Chinese. Hand drawn noodles with a spicy soup base. I think this place used to be something else, but it either closed or they renamed/rebranded it. Either way you hear a lot of hype about Nan Zhou, but I personally prefer this place because I think the soup base is more interesting.

Mood Cafe - West Philly, around 46th and Baltimore. Somehow this place has five stars on Yelp. I don't think it's quiiiite that good, but the owner is very friendly, and the chaat/lassi is eclectic and good. Be warned that the chaat, according to my Indian friend, isn't very authentic, but it's still really tasty. There's all sorts of flavors going on in there.

Ray's Cafe - In Chinatown. Good syphon coffee, excellent dumplings, friendly owner. Each order of tea or coffee comes with a small cookie and a tiny pitcher of cream.

El Jarocho - South Philly, Mexican. I usually get tacos here but my friends swear by the various rice and beans platters.

Kilimandjaro - West Philly, Senegalese. Yo I never had Senegalese food before but this place was really good, and surprisingly spicy! I like the Yassa Chicken. Their fish dishes also come with like, a whole fish. Large portions.

There's more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

cyberia posted:

Shokudo, on Kapiolani. If you're into nabe, you can't go wrong with Ichiriki or Asuka.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Flagstaff, AZ

I eat at all the restaurants all the time here, spending more than I budget on eating out pretty much every month.

High-end...

Fancy Dinner: Cottage Place -best soups ever.
Food & Drinks: Annex/Tinderbox -annex is the bar, kind of upscale food/charcuterie
Coffee & Drinks: Rendezvous -great scotch selection
Bar: McMillan -good Old Fashioned menu, great scotch eggs
Sushi: Karma -actually cheap during happy hour
Wine: Cuvee 928 -pricey, good food & wine

Reasonably priced:
Criollo Latin Kitchen -great weekend brunch, lunch, dinner
Monsoon -Happy hour 3-7, rest of the time it's overpriced garbage
Doubletree hotel -best taco deal in town, 4x carne asada $4.50
Sosoba noodles/ramen shop -5-6pm is halfy hour, half-off everything pretty much, amazing deals for good ramen/drinks
Tap Room: Hops on Birch -no happy hour, decent prices on everything all the time though

Lunch:
Pato Thai -best thai in town
MPM Pho -only pho in town worth a drat
Satchmo's BBQ -AMAZING, get anything you like, or if you want nirvana get the blackened catfish poboy w/ seasoned tots, red beans & rice
Tacos Las Altos - nice authentic mexican

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am going to Nashville this weekend. Any recommendations there? Bachelor party, and the bachelor party wants bbq and blue collar, nothing fancy. There are obviously loads of good bbq places but I don't know where to start

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Milwaukee, WI

Basically this entire list is perfect: http://www.thrillist.com/eat/milwaukee/best-restaurants-in-milwaukee

Comet Cafe gets a lot of talk but I haven't had a good meal there yet. Their vegan options are the same chunk of seitan rearranged (meatloaf, faux ribs, etc).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am going to Nashville this weekend. Any recommendations there? Bachelor party, and the bachelor party wants bbq and blue collar, nothing fancy. There are obviously loads of good bbq places but I don't know where to start

Princes Hot Chicken, Husk, Jeni's ice cream

icehewk posted:

Milwaukee, WI

Basically this entire list is perfect: http://www.thrillist.com/eat/milwaukee/best-restaurants-in-milwaukee

Comet Cafe gets a lot of talk but I haven't had a good meal there yet. Their vegan options are the same chunk of seitan rearranged (meatloaf, faux ribs, etc).

Pretty alright list, yeah. Although, it's kinda weird that for a city that size, I cant think of much else I'd add to that list. If I sat down and made a list of Madison must-eats, it would be way longer.

I think Guanajuato has pretty tasty tacos.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 5, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Thanks!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Casu Marzu posted:

Pretty alright list, yeah. Although, it's kinda weird that for a city that size, I cant think of much else I'd add to that list. If I sat down and made a list of Madison must-eats, it would be way longer.

I think Guanajuato has pretty tasty tacos.

they forgot Glorioso's :colbert:

i'd add el seņorial and huan xi, I'm sure I could think of more

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What'd you like at Huan XI? I had the mapo and cumin lamb but it was my first authentic Chinese experience and a little offputting paired together. The cumin on the lamb seemed burned, to the point that it was gritty.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

canoshiz posted:

Any recommendations for Saratoga Springs, NY? I'm stuck up there quite often for work...

Old post, but this place was awesome:

http://www.hattiesrestaurant.com/

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Doh004 posted:

Old post, but this place was awesome:

http://www.hattiesrestaurant.com/

Haha I had actually already been there multiple times when I wrote that post. Great place, their fast food joint right off the freeway has fantastic chicken sandwiches too.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Hi guys! I'm really surprised that Seattle doesn't have a dining thread, so where should I eat in Seattle? Is the space needle restaurant worth the price? Anywhere really good for under $20 a plate? Is Magnetic's Man Pie restaurant still open? I haven't heard from him since there was a giant hole in the wall of the restaurant.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Akarshi posted:

I visited there a few times, mostly ate Japanese food. I highly recommend Sunrise Restaurant, great Okinawan food. I don't know about the sushi, but I really liked the soups and noodle soups.

Now for some Philadelphia recs:

Bistrot la Minette - Sort of pricey French place off South Street but I really enjoyed it when I went there. I think I got the roasted rabbit. It's pretty popular though, so it gets rather crowded. Its restaurant week deal is stellar too.

Terakawa Ramen - In Chinatown. This place has what I think is the best ramen in Philly. I tried out Nom Nom Ramen, Ramen Bar, Hiro Ramen House...this place is hands down the best. Their curries ain't bad either.

Shiroi Hana - Center City, Japanese. It's reasonably priced and authentic. I typically go for lunch, when it's cheaper, and get a nabeyaki udon.

Spice C - In Chinatown, Chinese. Hand drawn noodles with a spicy soup base. I think this place used to be something else, but it either closed or they renamed/rebranded it. Either way you hear a lot of hype about Nan Zhou, but I personally prefer this place because I think the soup base is more interesting.

Mood Cafe - West Philly, around 46th and Baltimore. Somehow this place has five stars on Yelp. I don't think it's quiiiite that good, but the owner is very friendly, and the chaat/lassi is eclectic and good. Be warned that the chaat, according to my Indian friend, isn't very authentic, but it's still really tasty. There's all sorts of flavors going on in there.

Ray's Cafe - In Chinatown. Good syphon coffee, excellent dumplings, friendly owner. Each order of tea or coffee comes with a small cookie and a tiny pitcher of cream.

El Jarocho - South Philly, Mexican. I usually get tacos here but my friends swear by the various rice and beans platters.

Kilimandjaro - West Philly, Senegalese. Yo I never had Senegalese food before but this place was really good, and surprisingly spicy! I like the Yassa Chicken. Their fish dishes also come with like, a whole fish. Large portions.

There's more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

I'm gonna piggyback off this one and I'm gonna double down on Terakawa because hot drat it really is the best. Also good is Nan Zhou Hand Drawn Noodle House in Chinatown.

If you're ever in West Philly/University City, try Kabobeesh (not the crap place down on South Street). It's the kind of Indian/Pakistani place that taxi drivers eat at. Best god drat Tandoori Chicken I've ever had. Owner is a super friendly guy with a proto-hitler 'stache. I've never had anything there I didn't like, and their spicy chickpea side they serve over rice is too savory I can't believe it.

I also recommend Sketch Burger, which is off Girard Ave, near Fishtown if I'm not mistaken. "Artisan" burger kind of stuff, but when you get down to it, they're some of the tastiest burgs I've ever had the pleasure to burg on.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pester posted:

Hi guys! I'm really surprised that Seattle doesn't have a dining thread, so where should I eat in Seattle? Is the space needle restaurant worth the price? Anywhere really good for under $20 a plate? Is Magnetic's Man Pie restaurant still open? I haven't heard from him since there was a giant hole in the wall of the restaurant.

My parents actually ate at the rotating restaurant in the space needle, had some good luck and showed up after the lunch rush without a reservation. They were pleasantly surprised by the food quality and price, being both good and within their budget. This is second hand information, as I was not there.

Then they were nearly punched by a marauding homeless man outside the bookstore. He punched the next couple instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What's good in the Boston area? I wanna try some good local stuff but I never actually hear about local restaurants.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

What's good in the Boston area? I wanna try some good local stuff but I never actually hear about local restaurants.

Try Hot Pot Restaurant (for hot pot, duh), China Pearl (best dim sum, Sundays), or Gourmet Dumpling House (great dumplings, including soup dumplings, and their other stuff has been great--place is always crammed) in Boston's Chinatown.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

ChaosArgate posted:

I really like Ten Tables out in Jamaica Plain, but it's on the pricey side

min
May 12, 2001

Suspect Bucket posted:

Someone tell me where to eat in Jacksonville besides Burrito Gallery and Blind Rabbit. I need better sushi then my strip mall guy does.

Btw, eat at Burrito Gallery (E.Adams St) and Blind Rabbit (Kings Street) Ooh, and Engine 15 in Beaches. I still need to try Taco Lu (next to Engine 15). And go to Riverside Arts Market on saturday (except in winter).

Good sushi does not exist in Jacksonville as far as I can tell. After trying what must be nearly a dozen places people assured me were good (they were not), I've pretty much given up. The closest I've found good sushi is Kappo at the East End Market in Orlando.

Non sushi places to eat:

Chomp Chomp - close to Burrito Gallery, looks terrible, food is great. The specials can be amazing.
Orsay - Avondale. French food, everything I've had has been good, moderately expensive.
Black Sheep - 5 points. "new american" same owner as Orsay, very good food. Again, moderately expensive (but not as much as Orsay typically)
Hawkers - 5 points. asian food. Very large variety of dishes, overall decent but nothing that will blow your mind. Worth trying for sure.
M Shack - several locations. Pretty decent burgers, I like them but feel they are kind of overrated. Still worth trying.
Hon Korean - near Beach and Emerson. ....Korean food. This place is awesome. It is a tiny place staffed by 2 people (I'm pretty sure). Everything I've had has been great. Their chicken wings are incredible. Huge korean/asian market next door to check out too.
Taverna - San Marco. Italian inspired food I guess? I've only been here a couple of times but thought it was pretty good. Same price range as Black Sheep, moderately expensive.
Mr Taco - Bowden rd. Tacos. Get the chorizo, it's awesome.
Knead: A Bake shop - Murray Hill. Really good sandwiches and pastries. Monthly specials. Duck Confit sandwich with caramelized onion jam and pickled green tomato is amazing.
Corner Taco - 5 points. Tacos. Not as traditional as Mr Taco, but pretty good.
Whiteway Deli - Riverside. Good sandwiches. Not gourmet stuff but very nice owners and lots of variety.
Pinegrove Deli - Avondale. This place is a butcher/deli, they dry age their own beef. Very good burgers and sandwiches.
V Pizza - San Marco. I think they have pizza. Fairly solid. The plus side is it is attached to Sidecar and walking distance from Aardwolf brewery, so you can get great beer and cocktails then go eat pizza without ever moving your car.

TacoLu sucks. Go to Mr Taco/Corner taco instead. That's all I can think of/feel like typing up right now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you looking for fancy eating or just regular food? For restaurant eating, I really enjoyed the burger at Alden at Harlowe, FuLoon in Malden for Schezuan, and my entire meal at Hungry Mother.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are you looking for fancy eating or just regular food? For restaurant eating, I really enjoyed the burger at Alden at Harlowe, FuLoon in Malden for Schezuan, and my entire meal at Hungry Mother.

I'm looking for regular food. I'm not particularly interested in stuff at Chinatown, since I went there a lot as a kid for food, but I'll keep recommendations in mind!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm looking for regular food. I'm not particularly interested in stuff at Chinatown, since I went there a lot as a kid for food, but I'll keep recommendations in mind!

Ah! Sorry. :blush:

Townsman is a newer restaurant in downtown Boston near South Station. I haven't been yet (might this weekend), but I loved the chef's previous venture in Providence, Farmstead/La Laiterie. I recommend this just on the strength of the previous joint.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RedTonic posted:

Ah! Sorry. :blush:

Townsman is a newer restaurant in downtown Boston near South Station. I haven't been yet (might this weekend), but I loved the chef's previous venture in Providence, Farmstead/La Laiterie. I recommend this just on the strength of the previous joint.

No worries, I never actually said I wasn't looking for places in chinatown so that's more my fault then anything. :v: I'll have to check out Townsman sometime!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

min posted:

TacoLu sucks. Go to Mr Taco/Corner taco instead. That's all I can think of/feel like typing up right now. If you have any questions I may be able to answer them.

I feel like reccomending Corner Taco is cheating, as they are pretty mucho a Jacksonville icon. The tourisim board uses them a lot.

If y'all want to go to the most North Florida bar on the planet, check out Tiki Island Taphouse attached to Pecan Park Flea Market. They have Bud, Bud light, and Duke's. And a pond full of aligators that Phil the owner gets to jump for food. Outdoor seating only, full of bikers and locals, but really accepting and chill. They have beer pong and kareoke, and are open at 10am on weekends. Or there's Redneck Yaht Club on 17 in yulee, but that's not as cool (clientell is pretty racist hick) as Tiki and the beer is bad, but has some good redneck bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you go to Indianapolis, go to Goose the Market. The sandwiches are amazing and it has the best steak tartare I've ever had. Oaxaca has great goat, great chicken mole and balls cheap tamales. Well worth visiting. Brugge Brasserie has great crepes. Have the duck confit sandwich or crepe, you won't regret it. Their beer is very good but also very variable. So, every time you go things will be slightly different. Go expecting something awesome but when you return the beer you liked last time might not be what you remember, because it literally isn't. On Time or whatever they are calling it now next to Saraga Market has amazing Dim Sum. Saraga is a great grocery store if you live in Indy. Need something you don't think exists in a midwestern city like bitter melon, durian, jackfruit or any other "ethnic" food? Boom, Saraga has it. Adobo downtown has a fantastic happy hour. Seriously, their tacos are cheaper than Taco Bell and very delicious. Get the Los Nuahles Mezcal and feel your life change.

There are some other places too, but those are all 100% worth the visit. Especially Goose.

Some other higher brow options but if you are dining on an expense account you are going to hit up a random steak house anyway. St. Elmo's is great, but it's the obvious choice.