Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonvivant
Oct 1, 2014

I may be racist, transphobic, an antisemite and a misogynist, but I project like an angel ;)

fatherboxx posted:

here is my reading list for next months op what do you say

Andrew Macdonald - Turner Diaries
Paul Nathanson - Legalizing Misandry: From Public Shame to Systemic Discrimination Against Men
Michael Gilbert - The Disposable Male: Sex, Love, and Money: Your World through Darwin's Eyes
Julius Evola - Ride the Tiger: A Survival Manual for the Aristocrats of the Soul
Pierre Krebs - Fighting for the Essence - Western Ethnosuicide or European Renaissance?
Jack Donovan - The Way of Men

gonna be smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I'm on gai-Jin in clavells Asian saga. Before I get to king rat and then noble house I want to read something good. I was thinking hero with a thousand faces by Campbell, post office girl by zweig, or something by Burroughs, or maybe another book by Gardner. Any recs?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Since starting this thread I have read several books

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Expected cyberpunk, pseudo intellectual stuff, got Die Hard in China.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
think about this for a second:

i have read more books about orcs than i have read books about russian people

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
What is the best terry prathectt novel?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Currently trying to read Canterbury Tales. If only to see what the big deal is with Chaucer.

the big deal is he invented cuck

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Neukoln19 posted:

I still haven't

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i've read like two. you were right, op.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

CrashCat posted:

I still haven't

Get out of my thread there's a place for you and your degenerate people it's the hell thread and go back there this is a good thread to discuss literature and the written word not tumbler or Doogie or whatever the hell else goes on in that hole you call a home

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i've read like two. you were right, op.

Stopped clocks ya dig?

waveformghost
Jan 12, 2015

i can't stand steinbeck. i've read few of his books; what dull poo poo

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Archer666 posted:

I'm reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Expected cyberpunk, pseudo intellectual stuff, got Die Hard in China.

spoiler for every Neal Stephenson book
everyone is gay and has autism

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

waveformghost posted:

i can't stand steinbeck. i've read few of his books; what dull poo poo

Books written back then didn't take into account how much the world changed since they were written. Steinbecks characters seem oblivious that I can order two day shipping on a 24 pack of vitamin water. This is a serious flaw in steinbecks writing which has been written about in academic journals

Cute av

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

spoiler for real life
everyone is gay and has autism

fixd

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I was reading 1776 by David McCullough and I saw a painting of one of my ancestors and I was pretty hyped. Never been so hyped reading a history book before. His name was Robert R. Livingston and was one of the founding fathers of the United States.

In the painting he was with Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Roger Sherman.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 12, 2015

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

SweetKarma posted:

I was reading 1776 by David McCullough and I saw a painting of one of my ancestors and I was pretty hyped. Never been so hyped reading a history book before. His name was Robert R. Livingston and was one of the founding fathers of the United States.

In the painting he was with Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, and Roger Sherman.

He was also a cracker white devil

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i have read tome's worth of GBS posts

hth op

cucked gay so what aay lmao

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

Neukoln19 posted:

He was also a cracker white devil

Yeah, but pretty much everyone was a cracker white devil back then. So that makes it okay.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

extra stout posted:

think about this for a second:

i have read more books about orcs than i have read books about russian people

the only reason I dont share this shame is because I got a ba in english lol

waveformghost
Jan 12, 2015

i like soviet scifi

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I curl up with this puppy every night

edit: im actually finding that id put SICP on the list of books that genuinely changed how i think in general, where it's a strange fit with Chomsky and Herman's Manufacturing Consent, Rorty's Philosophy and the Mirror of Truth, Stanislaw Lem's His Master's Voice, and Ray Brassiere's Nihil Unbound

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 12, 2015

waveformghost
Jan 12, 2015

i prefer the lectures

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

waveformghost posted:

i prefer the lectures

im following along. im honestly in awe of how dope these dudes are/were. im a novice when it comes to computer science and computer programming and every single lecture/chapter is some mind bending revelatory poo poo for me.

also lots of dope 80s teen nerds

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I tried watching the lectures, but then I realized I was spending time an energy trying to learn a dead language that has no relevance in modern computing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SweetKarma posted:

I tried watching the lectures, but then I realized I was spending time an energy trying to learn a dead language that has no relevance in modern computing.

the point is not to learn scheme.

edit: and learning Scheme is downright trivial compared to most languages anyway.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I was just kidding. That book and those lectures aren't so much about learning scheme as they are about learning how to think like a computer scientist. They're actually very good.

waveformghost
Jan 12, 2015

lisp is cool and good

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I curl up with this puppy every night

edit: im actually finding that id put SICP on the list of books that genuinely changed how i think in general, where it's a strange fit with Chomsky and Herman's Manufacturing Consent, Rorty's Philosophy and the Mirror of Truth, Stanislaw Lem's His Master's Voice, and Ray Brassiere's Nihil Unbound

I bet you get laid a lot

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Neukoln19 posted:

which books

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013

You've caught him in his lie.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

I bet you get laid a lot

only by virtue of having a girlfriend

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Neukoln19 posted:

What is the best terry prathectt novel?

Guards! Guards! isn't the best Pratchett book ever, I guess, but it's the best one to start with. It's the first book about his best recurring characters, and it's the first one where Pratchett got his fantasy-parody/actual-fantasy/social-commentary/actually-funny-jokes blend just right. Then you can go forward or back as you like, or just follow the Guards books like it's a series.

I recommend it to people all the time.

Small Gods is very good and is a stand-alone. Hogfather is awesome (not a standalone, the other books about Death sort of build up for it, but he always explains things when he calls back to an earlier book). If you think Neil Gaiman had any worthwhile ideas, ever, you should read these books so you can see who he borrowed them from. I'd say stole but they were good friends so I'm sure Gaiman asked permission first.

Honestly all of them are pretty okay, except The Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic. Don't start reading Pratchett with the first Pratchett books.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Just read the latest Joe Ledger novel by Jonathan Maberry. Predator One. Had nothing else to do today, so I started reading it about noon, finished it just after midnight. Good read. A great series, but you need to start at the beginning, with Patient Zero.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
The OP was right; I'm reading Red Love (a pretty amazing account of life in the GDR) and I am now smarter and have many highbrow talking points for my next wine and jazz party.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I read Rob Roy and it was terrible and boring. I feel like I should like it more as a Scottish person but I don't. This stopped me reading again for a month or so which I felt bad about so I'm now trying to read a book a week. I read To The Lighthouse yesterday, which was really good. Maybe a bit too affected in parts.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i read tumblr and im smarter than 90 percent of you goons.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Noble house -- James clavell
The fate of Africa
On china -- Kissinger
The origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind
Heaven and earth are not humane -- Franklin Perkins
The good earth
Tree of smoke -- Denis Johnson ( my favorite)
The death of Virgil

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Just finished shadow country and creatures of a day.

Shadow country was beyond the best of the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I'm taking a break from reading to update this thread. Has anyone read girl on the train? Any good?

What's everyone reading these days?

• Locked thread