Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe
Just finished

And I'm looking forward to the next 61 books in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Read If on a winter's night a traveller. It was really good OP.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Neukoln19 posted:

I'm taking a break from reading to update this thread. Has anyone read girl on the train? Any good?

What's everyone reading these days?

Started reading the Dark Tower series after a recommendation from a friend. Figured I'd give Steven King a try on something, since horror isn't really my thing, and that's his big genre he likes writing.

Casual Friday
May 9, 2015

iTS HARD FOR ME TO MAKE A SONG THAT iSNT ABOUT MONEY, JEWELRY OR SKiNNY BUTTERSCOTCH BABES WiTH BASEBALL TiTS BECUZ THATS ALL i THiNK ABOUT
I read all the Twilights

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Italo Calvino is really good in general

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
Checking in to see what errybody has been reading!

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Im reading the man who knew infinity

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i think i was reading that when i first responded to this thread. i did not like it as much as some of his other books but it is very good.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Finished Ligotti's My Work Is Not Yet Done. drat good.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I'm picking up some unresolved personal issues on the part of the author here.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

my dad gave me an old pulp novel that begins with giant mantises and then has a black caricature castrate the protagonist. books are cool.

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I am pleased to report that I no longer work at a terrible place that I hate because the school year is over.

That being said I am sketching my summer reading list

-hitler biography (finished vol 1)
-goebbels biography
-himmler biography
-white noise
-Nietzsche biography
-the magic mountain
-all involved
-one of us the anders brevik story
-herzog
-the human stain
--the new vollmann book whenever it comes out

Should get through most of these by June. Subject to radical change as I see fit.

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.
i read (most of) the King in Yellow which started off super good then just got dull
then i read The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and it was loving rad as hell
then i tried to read lovecraft for like the 80th time: he still is terrible and his style literally puts me to sleep

i recently re-started Suttree by Cormac McCarthy (mayhaps u have heard of him?) and it is so loving good and like an antiseptic for the dreck that is lovecraft.

quote:

You told me once you believed in God.
The old man waved his hand. Maybe, he said. I got no reason to think he believes in me. Oh I’d like to see him for a minute if I could.
What would you say to him?
Well, I think I’d just tell him. I’d say: Wait a minute. Wait just one minute before you start in on me. Before you say anything, there’s just one thing I’d like to know. And he’ll say: What’s that? And then I’m goin to ast him: What did you have me in that crapgame down there for anyway? I couldnt put any part of it together.
Suttree smiled. What do you think he’ll say?
The ragpicker spat and wiped his mouth. I dont believe he can answer it, he said. I dont believe there is a answer.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Neukoln19 posted:

I am pleased to report that I no longer work at a terrible place that I hate because the school year is over.

That being said I am sketching my summer reading list

-hitler biography (finished vol 1)
-goebbels biography
-himmler biography
-white noise
-Nietzsche biography
-the magic mountain
-all involved
-one of us the anders brevik story
-herzog
-the human stain
--the new vollmann book whenever it comes out

Should get through most of these by June. Subject to radical change as I see fit.

those all sound boring as gently caress read harry potter

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
this week im reading "on what there is" by quine. it's an article not a book but i hope to be very thorough. my roommate is going through it as well and we are gonna book club it basically

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

bloodsacrifice posted:

those all sound boring as gently caress read harry potter

Not set in stone. Listened to all Harry Potter audiobooks [Jim dale is the man] already

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have read something better than a book. it was anime with subtitles. suck it, literature!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

boom boom boom posted:

That book is super depressing and it doesn't matter anymore because the Congo doesn't have those problems anymore.

how is the story of the start of african colonialism something that doesn't matter? for one thing the Congo definitely does have a poo poo ton of issues stemming from the Belgians and for another Africa in general is hosed because of Europe and racists love to just go 'see blacks are lazy assholes that's why their continent is hosed.'

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

epoch. posted:

i read (most of) the King in Yellow which started off super good then just got dull
then i read The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and it was loving rad as hell
then i tried to read lovecraft for like the 80th time: he still is terrible and his style literally puts me to sleep

i recently re-started Suttree by Cormac McCarthy (mayhaps u have heard of him?) and it is so loving good and like an antiseptic for the dreck that is lovecraft.

His collaborations are far worse (The Mound, The Medusa). I actually loved how The Mound started off- a spin on the traditional haunted cemetery tale- and then it turned into this overlong slog about Morlocks.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

how is the story of the start of african colonialism something that doesn't matter? for one thing the Congo definitely does have a poo poo ton of issues stemming from the Belgians and for another Africa in general is hosed because of Europe and racists love to just go 'see blacks are lazy assholes that's why their continent is hosed.'

okay, how is that any more important than the threat of the tyranids or Chaos? thought so, dumbfuck.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

most people grow up past their "cool college prof giving us the real history of everything" at age 19

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
hmm we need to move this thread to the book barn and then complain about lack of substance in GBS posting imo

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Neukoln19 posted:

Not set in stone. Listened to all Harry Potter audiobooks [Jim dale is the man] already

Personally, I prefer the Stephen Fry version. He is amazing at voices.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Neukoln19 posted:

They make you smarter.

why the gently caress do people believe this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bloodsacrifice posted:

most people grow up past their "cool college prof giving us the real history of everything" at age 19

yeah gently caress learning anything when you don't have to right

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
If books were so great, they'd make them into movies.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Frankenstyle posted:

If books were so great, they'd make them into movies.

who the gently caress would want to read text off of a movie screen?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

back in the day only cultured people used to know how to read

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Chinatown posted:

They make you a better writer so at least you seem smarter. And isn't that all that really matters?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Reading expands and stimulates your mind and at the very least introduces you to new vocabulary so idk why you think someone who reads a lot wouldn't be smarter for it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

it does, but you have to read the right books

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I read The Man who Was Thursday and From Moscow Till the End of the Line this week and they were both good. Moscow till the End of the Line is something I would recommend to anyone that's ever drank light in the morning so they could drink heavy in the evening.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Jim Barris posted:

The Man who Was Thursday and From Moscow Till the End of the Line

That's why books are bad. They all have names like pretentious 90's art-rock bands. Jared Leto may as well just sing the audio books.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Frankenstyle posted:

That's why books are bad. They all have names like pretentious 90's art-rock bands. Jared Leto may as well just sing the audio books.
Both of those titles are directly relevant to the plot of the books you moron.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

it does, but you have to read the right books

which no one does

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Jim Barris posted:

Both of those titles are directly relevant to the plot of the books you moron.

Prove it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
actually reading regularly has scientifically significant mental benefits

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
in fact it's better to read off paper than off a screen if you can, even if it's the same exact book either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

in fact it's better to read off paper than off a screen if you can, even if it's the same exact book either way.

I only read off the 'pad if I'm in a big hurry to get the book--library don't got it--Amazon is 2 days away

• Locked thread