Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Have you read the bible? (shitpost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
reading a book I wrote so i can make some edits. it's p. good I think

Finished Go Set A Watchman the other day. loved all of it until, like, the last ten pages when she kind of handwaves a lot of issues for a happy-ish ending. Now I dunno how to feel about racism.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just finished Dictionary of the Khazars and it was really good but I’m an insanely dumb millennial whose brain has been destroyed by irony poisoning, so I have no idea what it was about.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm reading Blood Meridian and i love it so much. Haven't read a good book in a long time, I reread the part with the Comanche raid like 20 times. The west was way hosed up guys, super violent.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A good life hack is putting a really long interesting book near your toilet and reading a chapter or two every time you poop

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

A good life hack is putting a really long interesting book near your toilet and reading a chapter or two every time you poop

I keep a secondary book for this purpose.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Yeah except you soon find you spend four hours out of every day pooping.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Yeah except you soon find you spend four hours out of every day pooping.
most people just call this "having an office job"

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

thewireguy posted:

Duly noted. I will put it on my Amazon wish list. Anywhere to start?

King of the Khyber Rifles or Tros of Samothrace

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Borneo Jimmy posted:

King of the Khyber Rifles or Tros of Samothrace

I got the king one, but everything else must be rareish and over $20. Any other sword and sorcery genre guys that I haven't heard/forgotten about?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Gonna read Dante I'm psyched

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Faust is pretty good too.
I tried to read the fairy queen, but there are so many books,
And in old English. I had to re-read every paragraph to make sure I got it.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I've read a lot of books and the immediacy of the internet is much more entertaining than dead prose.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Just found pulpmags.org that should keep me busy a while. Also the Guttenberg site has some good stuff for you fancy ebook folks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm reading the water margin because i'm a human being nerd who liked suikoden on the playstation when i was a kid

the prologue chapter was boring af but everything else is great. shi jin laying down sick burns in the first chapter and lu da making GBS threads and pissing everywhere and generally being the worst monk in all of china, and hanging out naked in a dark room to trick a bandit into thinking he's a hot babe so he can kick the guy's rear end

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 7, 2015

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

The White Dragon posted:

i'm reading the water margin because i'm a human being nerd who liked suikoden on the playstation when i was a kid

the prologue chapter was boring af but everything else is great. shi jin laying down sick burns in the first chapter and lu da making GBS threads and pissing everywhere and generally being the worst monk in all of china, and laying naked in a dark room to trick a dude into thinking he's a hot babe so he can kick his rear end

i read all the classic chinese novels a couple years ago. they are good, but can get a bit boring because the narrative expectations are very different from those we have today. water margin gets tedious after the 90th episode where a hero brains xyz after abc because dfg and has to go into hiding; but it's still pretty baller, and i really like that every single hero is exhaustively described with a consistent formula, starting with his hat or whatever and working down to his boots, poo poo like that. wu song kills the tiger is a good storyline, and if you like his arc, you should check out Jin Ping Mei, which is a tremendous and very modern satirical novel about moral bankruptcy.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Commie NedFlanders posted:

the divine comedy is amazing. dante is a real dickhead, he blackmails souls in purgatory to tell about themselves in exchange for notifying their families they should pray to get the souls into heaven faster.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I just finished the Wheel of time series and right now I'm pretty rock hard for high fantasy. I just started the Name of the Wind. Anyone read this? it got good reviews and I'm kinda pumped about it so far

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

read Black Company, it is god's gift to fantasy

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
never heard of it, but im interested after googling it. added to my queue

also the covers looks rad

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I am starting to re read house of leaves. It deserves to be a movie.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i haven't read House of Leaves in a long time but i remember liking it a lot. i should do the same

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Spent like 300 bucks on books to help me re-learn to read my mother tongue, which I've kinda lost proficiency in over the years. Mostly genre stuff and easy reading..

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

ROFLburger posted:

I just finished the Wheel of time series and right now I'm pretty rock hard for high fantasy. I just started the Name of the Wind. Anyone read this? it got good reviews and I'm kinda pumped about it so far

It's an addictive and compelling read. The second one is a bit meh - haven't quite convinced myself to slog through the rest.

Check out The Lies of Locke Lamora as well - good stuff

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

ROFLburger posted:

I have read every one and felt like I wasted my time. I love series because they keep me occupied for longer, but wheel of time? Waste of time... My Talbot mundy arrived today. See ya suckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
The forever war is good, similar to starship troopers, but with more hard science fiction.

• Locked thread