Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

extra stout posted:

think about this for a second:

i have read more books about orcs than i have read books about russian people

the only reason I dont share this shame is because I got a ba in english lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

I curl up with this puppy every night

edit: im actually finding that id put SICP on the list of books that genuinely changed how i think in general, where it's a strange fit with Chomsky and Herman's Manufacturing Consent, Rorty's Philosophy and the Mirror of Truth, Stanislaw Lem's His Master's Voice, and Ray Brassiere's Nihil Unbound

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 12, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

waveformghost posted:

i prefer the lectures

im following along. im honestly in awe of how dope these dudes are/were. im a novice when it comes to computer science and computer programming and every single lecture/chapter is some mind bending revelatory poo poo for me.

also lots of dope 80s teen nerds

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SweetKarma posted:

I tried watching the lectures, but then I realized I was spending time an energy trying to learn a dead language that has no relevance in modern computing.

the point is not to learn scheme.

edit: and learning Scheme is downright trivial compared to most languages anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Don Tacorleone posted:

I bet you get laid a lot

only by virtue of having a girlfriend

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
this week im reading "on what there is" by quine. it's an article not a book but i hope to be very thorough. my roommate is going through it as well and we are gonna book club it basically

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

how is the story of the start of african colonialism something that doesn't matter? for one thing the Congo definitely does have a poo poo ton of issues stemming from the Belgians and for another Africa in general is hosed because of Europe and racists love to just go 'see blacks are lazy assholes that's why their continent is hosed.'

okay, how is that any more important than the threat of the tyranids or Chaos? thought so, dumbfuck.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Frankenstyle posted:

If books were so great, they'd make them into movies.

who the gently caress would want to read text off of a movie screen?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
actually reading regularly has scientifically significant mental benefits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
in fact it's better to read off paper than off a screen if you can, even if it's the same exact book either way.

• Locked thread