Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keet
Aug 20, 2005

So in the midst of finding a local NJ bird vet to deal with this

Have had my tiel for almost 9 years now, figured i knew his bad habits, kept him from chewing up all the little hidden bits in the apartment cause its pretty old and who knows what he'd find otherwise. A few years ago he got in some muck and developed a taste for baths (not taking them, but demanding someone else do it. As in gets excited when the sink is running) and aside from a drop of very mild baby shampoo when he got kind of dusty we never used anything on him (and certainly not near his face for obv reasons).

Yet about a week or two back he seemed to get pretty sick for a day (like, bottom of cage and not eating style, which is bizarre for how hyperactive he usually is). Mom suspected he might have chewed something gross around the apt but we didn't find a culprit - we specifically hide any of the mousebait cubes were he can't get to them, and he's never cared to look, and afaik there's never been lead paint in the house - and after a rather hefty poop he seemed fine

Except now his eyes are superdilated and has obviously problems navigating around. Not weak, that is. But he doesn't fly, cocks his head about when moving about, clearly gets worried on the edge of things, though he still reacts to basic light-and-dark shadows and recognizes our voices. He's also pretty ok at knowing where the stuff in his cage is. Any advice on what could be going on? His appetite and thirst are fine, its just this one bizarre sensory problem....

keet fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

He sounds very sick to me. He should definitely see a vet. It could be vision problems but it could also just be balance or motor control problems. None of which are very good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah that sounds like poison or neurological issues. Go to bird vet. Good luck.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Ditto, vet and what others have said. Another thing to ask the vet is if it's possible that he has contracted Marek's Disease, it's a pretty common herpes-like virus in wild bird flocks and is fairly easily communicated. One of the types of Marek's manifests as blindness (I have a bantam hen with it right now, blind but otherwise healthy).

Think about things your vet might want to know: Do you have any houseplants he could have gotten into? Flower arrangements that came into the house, new cleaning products? Could anyone else have offered him something without your knowledge? How is his sense of balance, does he stagger?

If he does go blind, don't write him off. Blind animals get along just fine, just like people do. :) Good luck at the vet!

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

Colder than a witch's tit
Bump because I'm curious to know what the vet says.

Wintir fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 3, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

So how's the bird? Did the OP just seagull post and split?

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Fixed the transportation issue. Gonna head out this week and see what's up. Checked around the room and seen anything he's gotten into, but short of that I'm not sure if a vet would ask for any first-time samples of stuff, like a stool sample?

Oddly enough he just seems hesitant in walking (he does his little headcock like he's trying to radar into things, but longer now) but he doesn't really stagger or wobble, like it just takes him a second to figure out where he's going. It just felt really odd since he was normally so hyper.

longassedit: Appropriately my small tax return covered the recent vet visit.

Still need the bloodwork to come back to see if its a physiological thing and not an injury (though short of crashing into a wall, I couldn't think of anything that'd cause something on the level of detach retina or similar?) but aside from being a bit thinner than he should, the only thing obviously wrong is he apparently can't see out of his left eye (hence the headcocking when he walks), though the doc isn't sure of the right one is completely perfect either. Hopefully I get some answers :(:

keet fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 17, 2015

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Update: Much more confident, now that he's learned he needs to have a good view of things from far away first to not be disoriented. Plus he's climbing and walking and general being a fuss like usual. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Awesome news. :3:

• Locked thread