Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh. ive never used local before lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

pram posted:

oh. ive never used local before lol

this sums up what I was trying to say

anyway

i just use putty at work, along with a yubikey neo as an ssh smart card for authentication. very need-suiting

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this git thing comes standard with oh my zsh but i made it better imo because it wouldnt tell you what repo you're on and it ended up being a mile long

it looks like this by default :barf:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
goatelex

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

powershell owns

jk its hot garbage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my terminal is purple and translucent

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i dont think even shaggar defends powershell

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Beeftweeter posted:

i dont think even shaggar defends powershell

why would he? he hates unix

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

powershell is actually really good, even if iOS wants to autocorrect it as "powers hell"

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Egan Yardley posted:

powershell is actually really good, even if iOS wants to autocorrect it as "powers hell"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Egan Yardley posted:

i got PowerSchool actually

or i guess you could say

PowerSchooled

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

mishaq posted:

powershell owns

jk its hot garbage

yhaha

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII
the terminal is a film about a man hanging out in a computer controlled airport starring Tom hanks

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
learn vim and then mod the gently caress out of your .vimrc to do autocompile on save and other fun stuff. very nice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

born on a buy you posted:

learn vim and then mod the gently caress out of your .vimrc to do autocompile on save and other fun stuff. very nice

why do that when i can just have setup watch directories and have things do whatever i want

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why do that when i can just have setup watch directories and have things do whatever i want

autolinting and other things as well. vim si the best. Bram Moolenaar is a prophet

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

vi owns. replace all tab characters in an a document with a space, regardless of cursor position, faster than i can type

:1,$/^I/ /g

and i might revise my position

^I = ctrl+v for special char then ctrl+i for actual char

e:if you suggest emacs kill you are self

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
view -> indentation -> convert indentation to spaces

you can probably do it faster but why are you reserving muscle memory and brain space for something you probably only have to do a few times a day on a really bad day?

i'm not saying vi is bad but memorizing shortcuts for things that aren't that important just isn't worth it. i'd rather be able to navigate a file and project easily

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you can probably do it faster but why are you reserving muscle memory and brain space for something you probably only have to do a few times a day on a really bad day?

"faster than i can type"

e: gently caress i didn't read your post properly. still, it's a microcosm of the power of vi

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
file navigation in vim is super easy? /word find word, n finds next instance. / supports regex as well.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cygwin terminal is pretty reasonable these days, although :effort: is required to get it and PuTTY looking the same. Setting up plink could be easier.

:lol: you cannot backup a VM in Azure in the web interface or any UI you have to use Microsoft's lovely custom power shell for azure.

mosh is drat awesome, RDPv8 over UDP sometimes offers similar functionality but powershell clearly does not. Microsoft of course block RDPv8 UDP in Azure and also randomize the port on a firewall because :retards:

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 1, 2015

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Soricidus posted:

dunno why people keep writing other terminals really, when the original still works fine and has more features than most of the replacements

because most of the features of xterm are completely useless if you work on a machine that was created post-1990

also, because raw xlib loving sucks balls to code against

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this does one thing, and does it slowly. regex replacement does most things, across multiple files if you choose, and does it quickly. the learning curve doesn't seem worth it, but totally is

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sublime can do regex replacement with find and replace. you have to use capture groups so it's not quite as nice as the sed notation but that's fine.

it would also be trivial to write a plugin that allows you to do sed replacement

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

born on a buy you posted:

file navigation in vim is super easy? /word find word, n finds next instance. / supports regex as well.

what about project navigation is it just nerdtree?

i'm not saying vim can't do everything just fine but just figuring out how to get around is extremely cumbersome especially when your terminal isn't configured just so and you're sending all kinds of commands that you arent actually supposed to be sending and things get into bizarre states and tabs pop up and you cant close them and so on.

i'm trying to do an hour of vim a day until i get up to speed but it's taken me more than 2 days

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

what about project navigation is it just nerdtree?

i'm not saying vim can't do everything just fine but just figuring out how to get around is extremely cumbersome especially when your terminal isn't configured just so and you're sending all kinds of commands that you arent actually supposed to be sending and things get into bizarre states and tabs pop up and you cant close them and so on.

i'm trying to do an hour of vim a day until i get up to speed but it's taken me more than 2 days

yeah nerdtree but even then it's easy. can jump up and down directories quickly. search using / for file names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's weird that i'm so irritated by it because i used to be all xmonad no gnome never touch a mouse but i've gotten soft since i moved to osx

• Locked thread