Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

mcclay posted:

I really want to see DR do Alien Isolation now. And also the rest of the Dead Space series, just because I want to see how bad they get.

I want this too, because I'm a coward.* It would probably be a lot of work, though, given how the alien doesn't follow set patterns and will require a lot of video editing to get useable footage.

* Any creepy game where I can fight off my enemies is right up my alley, but I get stressed out playing games where I'm helpless. Which is too bad, because I think when they're done well they can be really great but I'm too yellow to actually play them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

habeasdorkus posted:

I want this too, because I'm a coward.* It would probably be a lot of work, though, given how the alien doesn't follow set patterns and will require a lot of video editing to get useable footage.

* Any creepy game where I can fight off my enemies is right up my alley, but I get stressed out playing games where I'm helpless. Which is too bad, because I think when they're done well they can be really great but I'm too yellow to actually play them myself.

I'm a massive coward who still hasn't been able to play the Silent Hill PT trailer all the way through despite several tries, in the daytime, with friends over. I adore the horror genre and get such a kick watching other people play these games, but drat, I can't play them myself. I really love Lpers like DumbRodent and Niggurath who showcase the game rather than sticking a camera into their face and screaming at every jump scare.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Quickly tossing up part 1, part 2 sometime tomorrow!
---

---
I apologize for the awkward way I handled the text/audio/video logs here, I'm still getting used to this stuff. You don't want to know how many takes I did. I probably will log all of them in the OP at some point, since I feel lazy about not doing so even if I am providing stilted summary/reaction in the video. I'm also going to begin transcribing subtitles for all in-game dialogue in the videos pretty quick- I planned to when I uploaded the very first video but ended up getting sidetracked... expect optional subtitles soon, anyways.

Drakli posted:

Silent protags

Isaac will have a couple of reactions later on, but remains stoic for most of the game. The devs did make sure to add plenty of 'idling' animation to him which might, depending on who you ask, provide the illusion of him emoting as he listens to people talk.

I can still understand how it can be a little bit alienating! I was never totally clear on why I was so drawn to Isaac and wanted to prevent his horrible death as much as I did, considering how little he's (blatantly) developed, but it really formed the backbone for my enjoyment of the series and brutal-player-death horror games in general.

And thanks for the input everyone!
Alien Isolation is actually (probably very predictably) one of my favorite games from last year.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 11, 2015

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
Other than for atmosphere does anyone know why the med lab has a room full of babies in tanks? Also why you can hear them? Because that's creepy as poo poo.

Also this LP made me realise that while I have beaten the first two games I never beat 3 so at least I know what I'm doing this evening.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ComicsandSlushies posted:

Other than for atmosphere does anyone know why the med lab has a room full of babies in tanks?

Probably a futuristic artificial uterus. Assuming planet crackers take a long time to do their work (and travel) it's not unreasonable to assume that people'd wind up having kids, and you don't want to lose a significant part of your manual labor when they get too pregnant to work safely. Plus, it's the ~*~future~*~

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
They are, from what I understand, clones grown to provide spare limbs for crew members. The wiki suggests they're not grown with any higher brain functions for the sake of ethics, although I'm not sure how much better that makes me feel about dismembering them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't remember that part of the ship having quite so many background baby cries.

Still, I love medical. It establishes so much about all the things you'll be encountering in the game (zero gravity, vacuum, enemy types) and has a lot of great creepy setpieces.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Also why you can hear them? Because that's creepy as poo poo.

You've beaten the game, right? I imagine it has something to do with the reveal at the end of the game.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Boy I'm really surpr̟̗̮̠ͅi̪̻̝͟s̸̠ed that I haven't die̶d̷ ̧s͞o ͞f̛ar.

---

Now let's have ourselves a little bit of THREAD PARTICIPATION! I'm new to this so bear with me.

We've had a couple of close calls. As much as I love the Plasma Cutter, variety is the desperate climbing harness of life. We have a choice between THREE potential secondary weapons for Isaac to invest in for now. We need Credits for supplies and Power Nodes, so we're going to have to pace ourselves. Voting will end in 72 hours I guess?

Our choices are:

1: The IM-822 Handheld Ore Cutter Line Gun is the winner with seven (and a half) votes!

Essentially a wide-length horizontal Plasma Cutter with a heavier, slower, and more sluggish beam, the Line Gun is a real powerhouse for heavy-duty mining jobs. Secondary fire drops mines for clearing out compact areas filled with annoying rocks and debris!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 15, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LINE GUN because seriously that thing can chop half a room in half.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Speedball posted:

LINE GUN because seriously that thing can chop half a room in half.

Seconding this. The Line Gun is the greatest thing ever created by a human.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Plasma Cutter only! There's an achievement for it!

(the Line Gun is pretty great, though)

I did play a full NewGame+ with the military grade armor and the pulse rifle as my only weapons. It was fun, but much more difficult.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Either 1 or 4. Stick to engineering equipment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Plasma Cutter Purity. I believe in you.

Louispul5
Oct 10, 2012
The line gun. The flamethrower can't remove limbs at all, and the pulse rifle takes almost a whole clip to do so. You never shoot center of mass on a necromorph, hence why you don't see any security guards and their pulse rifles running around. They're both pretty terrible. Also I don't think the flamethrower even works in areas with no breathable air.

I usually just carry the plasma cutter and line gun. Plasma cutter for long range precision work, space shotgun/grenade launcher for clearing a room. That and ammo dropped from enemies can only be for guns you're carrying, so more ammo for the guns you actually like that way.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Go for the Flamethrower.

If The Thing taught me anything, it's KILL IT WITH FIRE!

If The Thing taught me anything else its-AHHH! YOU'RE PART OF IT! :flame:

Seriously, I'd really rather not just stick with the plasma cutter through the whole game, even if it's the real tuff-guy engineer way of doing things. General LPs (as opposed to special runs) are about showing off the game and what it can do, not just sticking to one option. Plus, even though I could get this game for $9.99 at the local game store -new- I'm probably too much of a horror-game-coward, not enough of a shooter-game-player to play through it myself. I appreciate seeing all the weapons.

Besides, burning space zombies can't be a real problem, can they? :supaburn:

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Everything will be shown off in time! Please don't worry about that, don't let it influence your votes. :cheers:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Stick with just the Plasma Cutter. For now.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

DumbRodent posted:

As much as I love the Plasma Cutter, variety is the desperate climbing harness of life.
I choose stubborn bloody single-mindedness: We must first make the Plasma Cutter as huge as possible!

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend

DumbRodent posted:

Everything will be shown off in time! Please don't worry about that, don't let it influence your votes. :cheers:

I still stand by my vote! The flamethrower is obviously the weapon of choice for a place with densely oxygenated and preciously limited air!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Line gun

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Line Gun is the king of weapons.

I note you didn't comment on the lack of the bodies that were in the tram station when you got back.

Also I forgot about the swarmers oh jesus :gonk:

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Shadowlyger posted:

I note you didn't comment on the lack of the bodies that were in the tram station when you got back.

I probably should have said something, but felt it might be better to let it creep up on the viewer. Also lingered in the Main Lab before leaving for that reason!

Punch Party
Jan 10, 2015
Line Gun, it sounds like the most versatile.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Drakli posted:

Go for the Flamethrower.

If The Thing taught me anything, it's KILL IT WITH FIRE!

If The Thing taught me anything else its-AHHH! YOU'RE PART OF IT! :flame:

Seriously, I'd really rather not just stick with the plasma cutter through the whole game, even if it's the real tuff-guy engineer way of doing things. General LPs (as opposed to special runs) are about showing off the game and what it can do, not just sticking to one option. Plus, even though I could get this game for $9.99 at the local game store -new- I'm probably too much of a horror-game-coward, not enough of a shooter-game-player to play through it myself. I appreciate seeing all the weapons.

Besides, burning space zombies can't be a real problem, can they? :supaburn:

Flamethrower kinda sucks in this game, though, because necromorphs aren't the thing.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Louispul5 posted:

The line gun. The flamethrower can't remove limbs at all, and the pulse rifle takes almost a whole clip to do so. You never shoot center of mass on a necromorph, hence why you don't see any security guards and their pulse rifles running around. They're both pretty terrible. Also I don't think the flamethrower even works in areas with no breathable air.

:sigh: I knew it was going to be something like that. Oh, video game flamethrowers, why do you have to break my heart like this? I'm still going to vote for it just because all the footage I've ever seen of the series is of people using the Plasma Cutter or Line Gun, and I want at least some variety, but that poo poo is still disappointing to hear.

(:flame: If only...)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Flamethrowers in Turok games are super useful.

The flamethrower in Killzone 2 is really sweet and the stream has an arc so you can clear out enemies behind cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9thTo7B-7U

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
I mostly just used the Plasma Cutter and Flame Thrower when Necromorphs got to close ( also to deal with Swarmers and corpses in case I thought they would go all necromorph-y) but everyone seems to think the Line Gun is a good idea so lets go with that.

Also did anyone else hear someone whisper "Search and Rescue" when the Medical Center was powered up? I never noticed that before.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The whispers saying "Search and rescue" are part of an audio file from one of Dead Space's promotional alternate-reality websites. You are a guy trapped on the ship with the door locked, and the only thing with you is a computer that examines the odds for risk assessment. The risk assessment computer even gives you dating advice odds. "Search and rescue" was part of it describing one woman's day job.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38AbxFr8vY

Speedball fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 12, 2015

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
I don't want too much talkin about mechanics until we see them, but the Flamethrower actually becomes pretty good once it's upgraded! It's also pretty fun to use.

All of the weapons are fun to use, really. Even the ones that aren't very useful. But whether you vote based on efficiency or what would be most fun to see, it's up to yall! Extra fun thread participation time, hurrah.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Also did anyone else hear someone whisper "Search and Rescue" when the Medical Center was powered up? I never noticed that before.

Speedball posted:

The whispers saying "Search and rescue" are part of an audio file from one of Dead Space's promotional alternate-reality websites. You are a guy trapped on the ship with the door locked, and the only thing with you is a computer that examines the odds for risk assessment. The risk assessment computer even gives you dating advice odds. "Search and rescue" was part of it describing one woman's day job.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38AbxFr8vY

In addition to fragments of the "search and rescue" clip, the whispers alco include a mix of near-undecypherable words (some possibly in a fake language), latin and English phrases ("help give purpose to the empty", "death is the beggining" "put it back"-I think one graffitti said that too)

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 12, 2015

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
I'm so happy to see someone play this game so ponderously, for lack of a better word I suppose. It really allows you to soak in the atmosphere, the great lightning, and some of the best environmental audio of any game. When people play this game by running through and shoot everything without really taking the time to enjoy it, I always wonder why. I feel like the Ishimura is a character in the game unto itself. Much like The Nostromo from Alien (obviously) or the desert in Breaking Bad/bayou in True Detective (for non ship examples).

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, use horizontal fire mode with the plasma cutter more.

DankRhymer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 13, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, the original promotional AR game isn't even on the Internet Wayback Machine. (it was called No Known Survivors) Too bad, it had some genuine creep moments. Plus like I said, I loved the idea of a guy using a risk assessment computer to not only calculate the odds of his own survival from attack by alien zombies, but dating advice. Now that is a pretty intricate predictive model.

Clearly necromorphs wouldn't be able to do their thing on a ship full of robots, so if this setting did have any sort of AI to speak of they'd be the kryptonite to the infestation.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Earth-gov has approved the expenditure of funds to procure a flamethrower. As it shall help with clearing the way through to your objective.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Earth-gov be praised.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

George Carlin posted:

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself: "Gee, I'd sure like to set those people on fire over there, but I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something to throw flame on them..."

PURGE THE ALIEN! :black101:

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Incidentally, talking about subjects other than weapon choices.

Is it just me, or is the drama of that scene with the mortally wounded woman with the kinetic module in the med bay kind of ruined by the way dying fills her left arm with sproingy springs?

This is why we don't let the Havok engine choreograph scripted scenes.

Sorry, sorry, this is what games with realistic graphics do to me. I notice what looks weird.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Nah, everybody ever thinks the way she flops around afterwards is risible. They couldn't have scripted the last part of her collapse when every tester ever must have noticed how janky it looked? C'mon!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
The Line Gun wins with seven and a half votes! The Earthgov Extracurricular Dismemberment Disentanglement Enrichment Committee thanks you for your participation.

Drakli posted:

Incidentally, talking about subjects other than weapon choices.

Is it just me, or is the drama of that scene with the mortally wounded woman with the kinetic module in the med bay kind of ruined by the way dying fills her left arm with sproingy springs?

Speedball posted:

Nah, everybody ever thinks the way she flops around afterwards is risible. They couldn't have scripted the last part of her collapse when every tester ever must have noticed how janky it looked? C'mon!

The lady's arm is very silly. I have no idea how that got into the finished product. Maybe they thought people would be hucking the corpses around with Kinesis anyways and didn't bother to streamline. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The physics in Dead Space games is an absolute treat. (note: no spoilers in this vid, but it IS technically Dead Space 2 footage, if that concerns you)

Sally fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 15, 2015

• Locked thread