Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i've been clicking around the forums in silence in my room as usual. moving the cursor and clicking on threads is a virtually effortless mechanism for indulgence. i'm somewhere in between sleep and wakefulness and it makes my neurons barely fire. the inability to read is the only signal i get to tell myself i've had enough and it's time for dreamworld

lately i've come to realize my indulgence hopping is way more prolonged in the pos, and this is because of a minor design difference: it's mostly dark colors on the screen. i'm more relaxed that way. stresses me out less than blinding white

"so why do sites do this?" i ask myself. my theory is we're so used to writing on white paper, the web kept that same tradition

it's time to wake up. it's 2015 and it's time for a change. first of all, it makes no sense to have blinding background colors. contrasting light text on black is easier on the eyes. second, it's way better for the environment because white pixels vs dark ones use more electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
:firstpost:

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
A Pinball Wizard, what's your avatar from?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i bet it's from tommy the who movie

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
remember when designing web pages to accomodate the default fonts and colors that the user selected was considered an important practice?

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
mauve

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i bet it's from tommy the who movie

indeed it is

tyvm for asking, i was really proud of somehow making it loop properly

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

:agreed: op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

rotor posted:

remember when designing web pages to accomodate the default fonts and colors that the user selected was considered an important practice?

umm no

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

umm no

this would be around 1995 or so

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that didnt last long

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah :(

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually how do you even defer to a users background color? i dont think that option exists in anything but firefox lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

actually how do you even defer to a users background color? i dont think that option exists in anything but firefox lol

you don't specify one

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

most browsers will inherit default window colors & fonts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

which are of course getting harder & harder to change

I mean who DOESNT like staring at a bright white window with black text

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

rotor posted:

i do and it should still be this way. there should be little colored squares with the letter "A" in front of it showing the background and font color if you click that square

at least YOSPOS has a square that you click for amber vs green & black, but maybe more themes should be added

A Pinball Wizard posted:

indeed it is

tyvm for asking, i was really proud of somehow making it loop properly

yeah that's a crazy good loop you got going there

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
lol i thought the pitch was sped way up then i realized it was just elton john singing it, but i thought it was a good rendition. i really like the get up he has with the big boots and such. why are they carrying him out booing at the end?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

lol i thought the pitch was sped way up then i realized it was just elton john singing it, but i thought it was a good rendition. i really like the get up he has with the big boots and such. why are they carrying him out booing at the end?

elton john is not the pinball wizard. elton john is the champ. the champ spends all his time narrating and playing piano and not playing pinball. tommy is the pinball wizrd and he beats the champ. the champ has handed his pinball crown to tommy. he is no longer the bally table king, and he leaves the auditorium in disgrace.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Pinball Wizard posted:

elton john is not the pinball wizard. elton john is the champ. the champ spends all his time narrating and playing piano and not playing pinball. tommy is the pinball wizrd and he beats the champ. the champ has handed his pinball crown to tommy. he is no longer the bally table king, and he leaves the auditorium in disgrace.

kewl thanx

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

web design

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i set my default background to a super dark blue and the foreground to a bright, almost-white blue. it owned until I got tired of having to hit ^a just to be able to read everyoine's lovely website that set the background to white but did nothign with the text

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
like idgaf if you change my colors just if you force one then force the other ffs

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
sometimes i ctrl+option+cmd+8 to reverse the colors if i feel the need to relax my eyes on a bright site

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

and then elton john steals the giant shoes from the set

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tommy is the saddest movie i've ever seen, because of the scene at the end where they smash up all those pinball machines.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
those pinball machines were probably beyond economical repair. pinball machines are expensive to maintain

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

sometimes i ctrl+option+cmd+8 to reverse the colors if i feel the need to relax my eyes on a bright site

i just tried this and it didnt work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Flat Daddy posted:

i just tried this and it didnt work

i think you need to enable it first in accessibility options in system preferences

• Locked thread