Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
With Super Bowl Sunday approaching, get ready for this "fact" to hit the Twitterscape/Facebookland/Vinefield and whanot: More women are victims of domestic violence on Super Bowl Sunday than on any other day of the year.

Snopes dug into it, apparently this claim has been getting forwarded around since 1993, nobody has ever produced any stats to back it up, people who've cited the claim have since backpedaled, and actual experts on domestic violence say it's not even remotely true: http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/superbowl.asp

Snopes wasn't definite on what is the top time for domestic violence, but the overall Christmas season looks to be a strong contender. So however much "football makes men violent and macho and drunk and thus they beat women" sounds like a really clever theory, it's not remotely based in fact.

A friend who's got an MA and is a senior US official in DC cited this fact while we were at a bar last night, so I pulled up Snopes on my phone and emailed her the link to peruse later. To her credit, after she read it she forwarded it to everyone we'd been out with the previous night to correct herself, so kudos for being willing to admit fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
whay cant men have rights too?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

if all you do is jerk off, the maybe clapping could be considered domestic violence

makes u think

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this thread makes me want to do violence on the op

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

To her credit, after she read it she forwarded it to everyone we'd been out with the previous night to correct herself, so kudos for being willing to admit fault.

lmao if you arent drinking so much you forget and come home bruised, covered in piss and blood

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah but what about the big halftime flush?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i love how ive seen like 100 different variations of this exact same picture

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
thanks for the not news. sunday is no different than any other day except for some poo poo on tv

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

gary oldmans diary posted:

Battered Middle Class White Woman #73 gots to get paid somehow.

quote:

thanks for the not news. sunday is no different than any other day except for some poo poo on tv

If it helps just one goon to own a smarmy friend on Facebook, it's all worthwhile.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
wow thanks op, i'll remember that when i'm trying to prove to people that actually domestic violence isn't that big of a deal

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Everyone's at parties having a good time and not many people care all that much what the outcome is. If there's domestic violence over football the guy is on the couch all day at home watching three and a half hour long games getting shitfaced

And then Alabama loses

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

A friend who's got an MA and is a senior US official in DC cited this fact while we were at a bar last night, so I pulled up Snopes on my phone and emailed her the link to peruse later. To her credit, after she read it she forwarded it to everyone we'd been out with the previous night to correct herself, so kudos for being willing to admit fault.

If it helps just one goon to own a smarmy friend on Facebook, it's all worthwhile.
You sound like a cool and fun dude to be around.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
check out my touchdown dance

uh uh

uh uh yeah

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I don't need a billion-dollar entertainment complex to tell me when and how to beat my wife.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just a heads up, this stat is actually true and the snopes article missed several data points. I did a couple hours of research on it last year and it is in fact the biggest day.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
i dont spike the ball i spin it like a top and then i do the meatwad

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
i beat my spose when my team loses beacuse i am angry

i beat my spouse when my team wins becousee i am overcame with emotion

i beat my spouse when its not football zseason because there is no football

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it would really spoil the 12 minutes of game time

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

jarvis cocker posted:

i beat my spose when my team loses beacuse i am angry

i beat my spouse when my team wins becousee i am overcame with emotion

i beat my spouse when its not football zseason because there is no football

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

gary oldmans diary posted:

yeah imagefap.com is great

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

i know if katy perry's halftime performance isn't good i'm gonna be real loving angry about it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Someone asked if I ever hit my wife. I said well yeah, on the rear, but that's before things start to get weird.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

krampster2 posted:

i know if katy perry's halftime performance isn't good i'm gonna be real loving angry about it

I hope she's in a skimpy outfit

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

It's probably a world cup day like the finals or whenever england gets ritually blown out of the first round right

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
Scream at TV Sunday

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
so what day is the best to beat your wife then if you want to join in with your fellow man huh op

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i certainly hope they win the match

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i will domestically abuse the op

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You sound like a cool and fun dude to be around.

Stay in school, and maybe someday you'll have a big-boy job too!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i certainly hope they win the match
by the end of round 1 of course i want to keep seeing them throw touchdowns but i mostly just hope all the players turns are safe

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwchohlMjI

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
sooo angry about tom brady having a cold gonna throw a bottle at me woman

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
she married me knowing i loved football she should be able to accept a beating

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

hot

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

i dont have to use football as a excuse to beat my wife now, thx op

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
also OP stop mansplaining

men are brutal rapists

heh

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

See, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

also OP stop mansplaining

men are brutal rapists

heh

Is that a self-satisfied "heh"

Or an ironic "heh"

Or an admission that your life has reached a dead end and are attempting to derive meaning in your intermittent exchanges on an Internet Comedy Webforum

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Solid Poopsnake posted:

See, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

i love my women whimpering on the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Is that a self-satisfied "heh"

Or an ironic "heh"

Or an admission that your life has reached a dead end and are attempting to derive meaning in your intermittent exchanges on an Internet Comedy Webforum

i love my dead gay wife

• Locked thread