Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I bet ALP KAP victory, ask IRC
But not Greens, hmmm, what a worthwhile member of the party you are. I hope you are putting the winnings towards a good charity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

iajanus posted:

I don't normally like listening to politicians speak, but Palaszczuk is killing it on this occasion.
She wished Newman well for the future and didn't tell him to kill himself.

3/10.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I love how the Libs still think the problem is with their communication of their policies and not their policies. Long may they live under that delusion.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am a member of the Greens and put my time towards letterboxings and other stuff.
But a Labor victory is the most reasonable hope for a QKD progressive.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I almost feel prid-- not too much... less shame!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He is going to probably do something tone deaf and dumb so I don't know eat a poor person to show how focused he is on getting the budget back on track.

Judging by his current performance Going with this. Try for a 'reboot', which if its not to stupid might give him another few weeks, but if he has even one gently caress up the media catch on (almost guaranteed) to then he'll probably be out by weeks end.

Edit: The lib on ABC just called the speech on Monday 'pivotal' to the future direction of the party. Jesus they're being open about this at the moment.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 31, 2015

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Meanwhile, at QLD LNP HQ:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bifauxnen posted:

He'll knight himself as Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Government

I can't let this get lost on the last page. Noice.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

My Greens member here in Mt Coot-tha got 22% of the primary vote! :woop:

Jonathan Sri in South Brisbane also got 22%!

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Judging by his current performance Going with this. Try for a 'reboot', which if its not to stupid might give him another few weeks, but if he has even one gently caress up the media catch on (almost guaranteed) to then he'll probably be out by weeks end.

Edit: The lib on ABC just called the speech on Monday 'pivotal' to the future direction of the party. Jesus they're being open about this at the moment.

Time for The Real Tony

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Seriously, I'm almost convinced that NTATA will step down on Monday.

:getin:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Bifauxnen posted:

My Greens member here in Mt Coot-tha got 22% of the primary vote! :woop:

Jonathan Sri in South Brisbane also got 22%!

They were doing some good campaigning in Mt Coot-tha and that result reflects it!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Jane Prentice is pouring spilling a huge bucket of poo poo on Tones live on the ABC.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pics or it didn't happen.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mithranderp posted:

Seriously, I'm almost convinced that NTATA will step down on Monday.

:getin:

He wont. He'll hang onto the Prime Ministership like a mad man.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Queensland :patriot:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Nice to see the clock ticking on Toxic Tony getting ousted.

What shithead will replace him? :v:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Goodpart posted:

She wished Newman well for the future and didn't tell him to kill himself.

3/10.

I may have done so on Twitter a few times.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I am so drunk

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

iajanus posted:

I don't normally like listening to politicians speak, but Palaszczuk is killing it on this occasion.

Yeah, she's being 20 times more graceful than Campbell Newman was in 2012 when he was being a smug git and practically drooling all over the place.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Credlin's career must be over now, too.

I wonder how they're going to dislodge Tony from the lodge? I'm not entirely convinced they can offer him something he'd take - the man has been groomed for this all his life, told that one day he'll be Prime Minister, told that he can do no wrong, told that he's born to rule. I don't know if his mind can handle the idea of that being taken away from him, and I'm not certain he considers it a real threat.

If Credlin wants more time in the Liberal halls of power, she's going to need to do some serious knife sharpening, if she hasn't started already. Still, she's probably too 'tainted' by Abbott to stay on as CoS. Parachute into a safe seat in 2016?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mattjpwns posted:

Parachute into a safe seat in 2016?

They've been trying to get her put 1 or 2 on the Liberal Senate ticket in Victoria since the election

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mattjpwns posted:

Credlin's career must be over now, too.

I wonder how they're going to dislodge Tony from the lodge? I'm not entirely convinced they can offer him something he'd take - the man has been groomed for this all his life, told that one day he'll be Prime Minister, told that he can do no wrong, told that he's born to rule. I don't know if his mind can handle the idea of that being taken away from him, and I'm not certain he considers it a real threat.

If Credlin wants more time in the Liberal halls of power, she's going to need to do some serious knife sharpening, if she hasn't started already. Still, she's probably too 'tainted' by Abbott to stay on as CoS. Parachute into a safe seat in 2016?
They have Credlin lined up to take the Federal Seat of Menzies, but Kevin Andrews would need to be dislodged first

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mattjpwns posted:

Labor got Rudd out without an actual vote, so I don't think it's impossible.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

I am so drunk

Have you realized yet that you've thrown away a staffer job in the new government?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

You Am I posted:

They have Credlin lined up to take the Federal Seat of Menzies, but Kevin Andrews would need to be dislodged first

You make it sound as if the man was capable of standing up to something stronger than a bee's fart.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh agreed, but there's a quiet, dignified stepping down, and then there's the enormous shitshow an imploding Abbott might give us. :getin:

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If NTATA doesn't take it well there's a good chance he could go behind the parties back and feed stories to the News orgs like a certain anonymous source from Labor. Or possibly call an early election if he gets in quick enough, though I'm not really sure if that would actually work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Abbott's a coward who doesn't pick fights that he thinks he isn't overwhelmingly poised to win.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 31, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Have you realized yet that you've thrown away a staffer job in the new government?

He didn't answer their panicked phone calls, I bet he could return the call and repent. They would be happy to have him return to the fold of the cult of Labor. I'm so sorry for ever doubting the power of The Shorten, I pledge my life to reform from within. You can't reform without having to crack a few asylum seekers, no big deal...

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Calling it now. Abbott is going to call an election on Monday. If he goes he is drat well is making sure he takes everyone with him.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
OH MY GOD

I just heard labor might win wild and am SERIPUSLY FICKING HYPE

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Raged posted:

Calling it now. Abbott is going to call an election on Monday. If he goes he is drat well is making sure he takes everyone with him.

That's my second bet, after stepping down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Might be 4 crossbenchers, depending on how Maryborough ends up.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

LNP rout in Queensland 'catastophic' and leaves Tony Abbott terminally wounded, federal Coalition MPs say
By political editor Chris Uhlmann
Sun 1 Feb 2015, 12:17am

The rout of the Liberal National Party in the Queensland election is being described as "catastrophic" by federal Coalition MPs, with some claiming the Prime Minister is now terminally wounded.

"All we are talking about now is the timing and method of execution," one Queensland MP said.

"This is catastrophic, unimaginable," said another.

Labor looks set to pull off a stunning victory in a cliffhanger election, after securing a double-digit swing that has ended the political career of Premier Campbell Newman.

Labor is on track to claim 45 or 46 of the 89 seats in the state's parliament, after going into the poll holding only nine seats.

"My political career is over," Mr Newman told LNP supporters as he conceded defeat in his seat.

A senior federal Coalition source said the next move was Tony Abbott's.

"So far the chatter has been among privates and corporals," he said.

"It's a time for generals now. And a time for the general: Tony Abbott. He has to decide what's in the best interest of the party."

The ABC spoke to Coalition MPs and senators across the country, as all watched the most remarkable turnaround in Australian electoral history with growing disbelief and horror.

Mal Brough reportedly urged to challenge for leadership

A Coalition minister said all eyes would now be on federal and state LNP MPs, who he feared would unload on the weakened Prime Minister in the wake of the Queensland poll.

A number suggested former Howard government minister Mal Brough was the one most likely to break ranks and take aim at Mr Abbott.

Fairfax Media reported Mr Brough was being urged to challenge Mr Abbott, to bring the leadership chatter to a head.

Other MPs said he would simply make a statement that laid part of the blame for the loss at the federal leader's feet, adding to the momentum building against him.

Mr Brough did not respond when contacted by the ABC.

Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce said the Queensland election was a "terrible result" but cautioned restive federal Coalition MPs against repeating the mistakes of the past.

"If you behave like the Labor Party at the last election, you will be treated like the Labor Party at the last election, and you will be annihilated," Mr Joyce said.

"You don't usurp the right of the Australian people. They don't like it."

Another MP said that the party's only choice was to make a change or risk the same fate that befell the Coalition governments of Queensland and Victoria.

There would only be three credible candidates to replace Mr Abbott as leader: Foreign Minister Julie Bishop; Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull; and Social Services Minister Scott Morrison.

None of these contenders had been agitating for change, or courting numbers.

Although Ms Bishop was touted as the most likely to take over, there was an emerging consensus Mr Turnbull had the best chance of recovering the Coalition's position; because he had the most fully formed public image.

It had been suggested the Prime Minister was safe because there were three contenders, because it was assumed they would fight among themselves for the top job.

However, the three were quite close and it was possible they could come to a consensus on who should lead.

Preferred option for Tony Abbott to stand down

The strong suggestion in the wake of the Queensland vote was that none of them would launch a challenge, as the preferred option was for Mr Abbott to stand down.

"I think the first response has to come from him," one senior Coalition MP said.

"He has to, in his mind, resolve what is in the best interest of the party and the country."

But if that decision was to stay on as leader, then the party would have to respond to it, he said, which suggested the Prime Minister's future was no longer his decision alone.

The National Party MPs and senators do not get a vote in a Liberal leadership ballot and one said the party would not countenance anything that smelled of chaos.

If there was a messy leadership spill it might threaten the Coalition, he said.

The Prime Minister is preparing for a major speech on Monday, which is supposed to set out the Government's agenda for the year.

Now it looms as another exercise in damage control.

Federal LNP MP Jane Prentice told ABC TV Mr Abbott's leadership rests on his speech.

News Limited papers reported Mr Abbott was preparing to dump his signature paid parental leave scheme as a sign he was willing to listen and make compromise.

Asked about the policy, Mr Abbott said: "Look, I said before Christmas, we'd be scaling it back ... I'll have a bit more to say on PPL in the next day or so".

One MP said if Mr Abbott did not dump the policy in his speech on Monday, he would be carried out of the Press Club "in a box".

itshappening.gif

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I believe it's more of an internal party thing, not an actual law. Labor could do that until Rudd 2.0 passed a party rule that a vote had to be taken in the event of a leadership spill; the Liberals probably have a different system going that we haven't really seen in action yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
John Howard and his team were outstanding as is Tony Abbott and his team which will be more clearly shown as time goes on. However I suggest that Tony Abbott get aggressive and stop letting the Lefties run all over him. The Lefties regard a very capable gentleman like Tony Abbott as weak. The Lefties appear to be trained to be nasty, do not understand anything else and will not change

Even before most media campaigned hard for obviously unsuited Kevin Rudd and helped get us into Labor’s huge debt and mess - costing $1billion per month in interest - the 95% of the media - especially the ABC and Canberra Press Gallery and Fairfax - who work hard to help the Labor/Left take us further down the Labor road to being another Greece -are a very serious problem for Australians who want a good sustainable future.Especially as this media does its best also to stop Tony Abbott getting his message out &/or distorts it.

Most media work hard at doing their best to put ALL the blame on Tony Abbott and his team while still creating irresponsible furores over trivialities over the Knighthood for the Duke of Edinburgh, Tony Abbott winking back at Jon Faine, Joe Hockey smoking a cigar etc. While saying little or nothing about Labor’s huge debt and mess and Shorten’s sabotaging Tony Abbott & Coalition efforts to get Australia back on track.

Unfortunately like many others, there are only a rare few journalists/columnists that I rely on.

This latest unbalanced media and Lefty attack on Tony Abbott over the triviality of the Knight-hood Award has alerted even more people to how very bad the ABC and most media are and I expect it will cost the media dearly, even more than in the past. e.g. Lefty Fairfax has concentrated on supporting the Left - half the market - and denigrating the Coalition which is half the market. Fairfax is in steep decline.

I also comment that when the Labor/Left talk about conservative journalists/columnists they can only name a rare few but all the rest - at least 95% - are Labor/Left - who will not admit they are Left - instead determined to either not let the Coalition message get out at all or report a damaging & distorted version of it. e.g.:- The ABC is getting its $1.2billion in tax-payers funding per year under false pretences as it cannot be relied on and has not had a conservative presenter,host or interviewer in a prominent position for at least 25 years.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Prime Minister Brough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Anidav posted:

Prime Minister Brough.

:stonk:

• Locked thread