Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pissflaps posted:

That's a bit like saying a flu vaccine didn't work because, while you didn't get flu, you did get a cold.

you should make your argument more explicit if you want to make it. i mean, i *think* i get it, but i could just be interpreting your posts too charitably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mail.txt

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is it because we get to watch?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know what that means.
Just having a deterrent/vaccine means nothing unless you are prepared to use it.
Having had territories invaded and then not using the very deterrent that allegedly prevents this sort of thing just underscores how useless it actually is.

Pissflaps posted:

I'll take the verified, sourced information in Wikipedia over your second hand anecdotal evidence tyvm.
Dulce et decorum est, indeed.

Guavanaut posted:

The difference between vaccines and nuclear warchat is that only one of them causes symptoms of autism.
These are dark times and we take our simple pleasures where we find them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

So, SS flags and the British Army.

There's a barracks on West Street in Sheffield. All of the windows on the street side are frosted out so you cannot see in. All except one window, that is. And when it's dark outside and they leave the light on, you can actually see in rather easily. Now I'm not an expert on SS Flags or their use, exactly, which is why I have come here to seek confirmation if that is indeed a partially covered SS Flag pinned up in the corner of this room inside an army barracks. If it is, maybe there's a legitimate reason for it. Maybe it's another 'scout sniper' team. Who knows.

Is it a Kiss poster?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Just having a deterrent/vaccine means nothing unless you are prepared to use it.

I think concluding that the UK would never use its nuclear weapons because Thatcher didn't nuke Buenos Aires when she had other options is a bit of a stretch.

I do not have autism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

V. Illych L. posted:

is it because we get to watch?
It's because Amanda Platell is suddenly very concerned about the availability of drugs on the NHS for young mothers and middle aged fathers with cancer now that some people are getting what looks like pre-exposure prophylaxis against HIV. I'm not sure what the conditions for approval are, but the piece makes it look like you just have to be gay and choose not to use condoms, which I'm fairly sure isn't the case.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I think concluding that the UK would never use its nuclear weapons because Thatcher didn't nuke Buenos Aires when she had other options is a bit of a stretch.

I do not have autism.

While concluding, based only on anecdotal evidence, that having nuclear weapons deters acts of violence against a nation and it's possessions isn't a stretch?

We all have autism.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

While concluding, based only on anecdotal evidence, that having nuclear weapons deters acts of violence against a nation and it's possessions isn't a stretch?

I don't think anybody has suggested that nuclear weapons deter any act of violence against the country that possesses them, if that were the case then nuclear powers would need no other armed forces, surely?

Maybe a little bit.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Cool, the nuclear deterrent only deters those things that it has deterred, anything else that happens is something that it doesn't deter. Why didn't you say so before, it's so simple even a politician could grasp it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I have a small rock which deters invasion and terrorist attacks against the UK give me a million pounds a year or I throw it into the sea.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

I have a small cock.

This isn't e/n

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JFairfax posted:

This isn't e/n

Maybe you should go back there then.

:v:

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
To be fair, "a small cock which deters invasion and terrorist attacks against the UK" would be a pretty good, if Freudian, definition of Trident.

Joking aside, Archbishop Pissflaps has made me completely rethink my position. I mean it's now obvious to me that Trident is the only thing keeping the Home Counties tiger free. Seen any tigers in the SE lately? See it works!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
see, that argument would make more sense if before we had the rock sixty million human beings were devoured by tigers

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

namesake posted:

Maybe you should go back there then.

:v:

i am lost and confused

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably with NHS funded contraceptives you pay for gay people to have sex full stop.

Where's that comic strip about the mail and gay people with all the wonderful puns in it?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the mail must be conflicted because we pay for straight idiots to have unprotected sex with all their BENEFITS and CHILD BENEFITS for their idiot asses loving and creating sprogs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Seen any tigers in the SE lately?
Do the ones comfortably beating London Irish last weekend count?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

for their idiot asses loving and creating sprogs

That's not how sprog creation works

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

EmptyVessel posted:

Cool, the nuclear deterrent only deters those things that it has deterred, anything else that happens is something that it doesn't deter.

Well, yes?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's deterred the tiger invasion for several decades now! I call that a winning strategy in anyone's book

Although they say WW4 will be fought with rocks and sticks, and I think those work too, so the future's looking good no matter what happens

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
World war four will be fought...in cyber space.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Where gamers will become the mighty generals of the battlefield

Actually it's kinda weird that that Robin Williams film Toys is actually turning out to be a bang-on prediction of modern warfare

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The reason people become spergs is because some of you do talk a load of old shite about nukes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

To much amusement and literally no ones surprise the greens are scrambling to limit bennetts screen time after fighting so hard to get her on tv in the first place

quote:

The Greens have sought to limit appearances by their leader, Natalie Bennett, during the potential leadership debates, only for the move to be blocked by the broadcasters.

Bennett – who wrote an article in the Guardian apologising for her disastrous performance on LBC radio last week – had agreed to “share the responsibility” for representing the party at the debates with Caroline Lucas, MP for Brighton Pavilion.

It is understood that Lucas was keen to get the exposure as she faces a battle to keep her seat, while Bennett is standing in what is widely regarded as an unwinnable seat. The broadcasters, however, told the Greens “a few weeks ago” that it was not possible for different speakers to appear across the debates being proposed by the BBC, Sky, Channel 4 and ITV.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/28/natalie-bennett-green-party-limit-leader-screen-broadcasters

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 1, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Christ they are such amateurs.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Okay, who's on Smarch OP duty?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

Christ they are such amateurs.

I don't really understand how you get to such a senior position being so incompetent?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jippa posted:

I don't really understand how you get to such a senior position being so incompetent?

30% of 3,000 ballots

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Regarde Aduck posted:

No. Having Nukes literally lets Britain be part of the big boy club. We are massively diminished as a world power but we're still on the security council. Still got veto powers just like every other nation who has nukes.
Apart from India, Pakistan, North Korea and Israel, sure.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I always feel like an idiot because by the time it comes to an election, like say, 2015, I have a hard time remembering all the stupid poo poo that happened in 2010/2011.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kaislioc posted:

I always feel like an idiot because by the time it comes to an election, like say, 2015, I have a hard time remembering all the stupid poo poo that happened in 2010/2011.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo__ZoHOwvs
Hard to believe this was about 5 years ago. :corsair:

Also found the last election debates:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QsSoV0SRo

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

Are you talking about the greens or are you talking about politics in general

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
It was a simpler time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeYZQYHjjvo

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kegluneq posted:

Okay, who's on Smarch OP duty?

March already? drat. Don't mind doing it again, if no-one minds, but I don't mind if anyone else wants to have a crack at it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 1, 2015

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Serco are nice people and privatizing prisons detention centres is a good thing:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1525358.ece

quote:

AN UNDERCOVER investigation has revealed a culture of racism, sexism and threats of violence in Britain’s most notorious detention centre.
Footage recorded in Yarl’s Wood immigration removal centre reveals that desperate prisoners threw themselves down a staircase in apparent attempts to commit suicide.
In one of the most shocking incidents uncovered by the investigation by Channel 4 News, a bleeding woman suffering a miscarriage had to wait three hours after begging guards to let her see a doctor.
Staff said she was “refusing to wait her turn” and admonished her for ringing an ambulance herself.
Guards were filmed describing various detainees as “black bitch”, “evil”, and one warder even threatened to “get a stick and beat them”.
Yarl’s Wood is operated by Serco, a private company paid hundreds of millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money.
The footage raises serious questions for the Home Office about Serco, which was recently investigated by the Serious Fraud Office for overcharging the government by tens of millions of pounds.

e: actually, I'll quote the rest of the article because it's paywalled and, well...

quote:

Now, in a three-month investigation, Channel 4 News has for the first time gained access and uncovered a litany of abuse. The footage captures guards displaying an appalling attitude towards the women. One is heard recounting a story to another colleague and admitting he “headbutted the bitch”.

Another says: “Do you know what? They are all the f****** same. They’re all bastards.” One guard compares the detainees to “caged animals” and advises his companion: “Take a stick with you and beat them up.”

Esther Azigwe, who suffered years of sexual violence as a teenager in Ghana before fleeing to the UK, claimed that her mental health had deteriorated significantly at Yarl’s Wood. When a female guard and a colleague told her that she was about to be sent back to Ghana by force, she panicked.

“[They said] we will force you and take you back to your country because we are allowed to force you in any way,” she said. “And then I started running, then they started chasing me... I was like, ‘I’m not going, I don’t want to go’. I stood by the stairs and said, ‘If you come near me I will jump’... She still tried to come and then I jumped.”

In another incident, a guard tells of a Chinese inmate who had been imprisoned for two years who broke her back jumping off the stairwell. He said: “She had to be in a wheelchair, so they decided she got released.”

Figures obtained under freedom of information laws show the number of incidents of self-harm requiring medical treatment at Yarl’s Wood rose from just one in 2011 to 74 in 2013. Serco disputed the Home Office figures and said it took all cases of self-harm seriously.

In one exchange, a guard complains: “They are all slashing their wrists, apparently. Let them slash their wrists... it’s attention seeking.”

Rumours of male staff walking unannounced into women’s rooms when they were naked have circulated for years. In 2013 the Home Office issued a ban, but the footage shows one officer admitting he did just that.

“I just like tits. I’m addicted to the viewing of tits,” he said. Serco said a guard had been disciplined for his conduct.

The Home Office said the allegations were “disturbing” and called on Serco and G4S to launch a review.

James Thorburn, managing director of Serco’s home affairs business, said he had not seen the footage but added: “I would be shocked and angry if anybody we employ was talking about people in our care in a disrespectful or obnoxious manner. We will not tolerate poor conduct or disrespect and will take disciplinary action wherever appropriate.

“The work we do at Yarl’s Wood creates a particularly challenging environment. The public will want to be confident that Yarl’s Wood is doing its difficult task with professionalism, care and humanity. Accordingly, we have commissioned an independent review into... Yarl’s Wood.”

G4S, which manages the medical unit where the pregnant woman allegedly suffered distress, said: “While this resident’s miscarriage was understandably a deeply distressing experience for her personally, she received an excellent standard of clinical care from both G4S medical staff and the pregnancy unit at the local NHS hospital.”

UKMT March: I just like tits. I'm addicted to the viewing of tits.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 1, 2015

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'm a bit late to nuke chat, but I've been idly wondering over the last few weeks whether we've somehow ended up in a situation where the UK having nuclear capacity actually matters, which I would never have thought could be true up until now. I can't help think that it might not be a coincidence that most people actively raising the possibility of Russia triggering NATO's Article V in the Baltics are British; it may be that someone somewhere has reckoned that Russia estimates the US wouldn't respond in that case. But of course, if one of the two other nuclear powers in NATO can plausibly show that it would then that doesn't matter; whoever said that all nuclear powers can in effect fire every nuclear missile in the world upthread is exactly correct. It may be that our deterrent capacity is currently more of a disincentive to moves that could trigger nuclear war than the US's is, absolutely insane though that would be.

My feelings around Trident are complicated. Having a nuclear deterrent under European control suddenly seems important again in the post-Crimea world, and if it has to be somewhere it's probably for the best that it's based very near my house; I can put my money where my mouth is then. I would say that I think the odds of a non-accidental nuclear war before the decade runs out are much higher than most of the thread does, and I found the debate around Trident in the run-up to the independence referendum frustrating for that reason. "The Cold War's over!", everyone said. Well, yes, but the thing that came after it is now over too, and it would be good if more people talked about that.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

March already? drat. Don't mind doing it again, if no-one minds, but I don't mind if anyone else wants to have a crack at it.

I'll do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Right oh! Here's the archive poo poo, if it's of any use.

New thread here; March 2015.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread