Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

The Greens have dropped mincome from their 2015 manifesto so we won't be seeing those costings after all.

And Caroline Lucas will most likely be appearing in any TV debates rather than Bennett, which is probably for the best.

Seems a bit weird that Bennett is the party leader in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

definitely weird that they've let sn australian in.
inconceivable that anyone would ever vote for a foreign national.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ok so I can accept it was a bad interview, embarrassing for all, but for gently caress sake Greens, worse policies have been taken forward after worse press coverage, if it was important (it was) maybe you should consider braving the storm just a little.

Social democrats are loving worthless.

Edit: actually a quick google doesn't seem to indicate either of those things pissflaps, where did you hear it?

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 2, 2015

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Lord Twisted posted:

I voted for greens in EU elections but frankly regret it after a rewatch of that disaster.
GPEW stood in all 10 regions except Scotland and Northern Ireland obvs, but I'm pretty sure Bennet wasn't on the list for any of them.
So crisis averted?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

mfcrocker posted:

Seems a bit weird that Bennett is the party leader in this case

Yeah god knows why she handed over the reigns given she must have known how dodgy Bennett is.

I know of a few OAP's joining the Greens after seeing their manifesto, but if they saw the video they might have second thoughts which would honestly be bad, as while Bennett's a mess they offer the best hope the people have in the established parties. Its not as if they are going to get elected any time soon, but if they get bigger then inevitably they will get a leader (e.g. Lucas) who is worthy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

namesake posted:

Edit: actually a quick google doesn't seem to indicate either of those things pissflaps, where did you hear it?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/02/natalie-bennett-needs-to-take-lessons-in-enthusiasm-from-caroline-lucas/

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

namesake posted:

Ok so I can accept it was a bad interview, embarrassing for all, but for gently caress sake Greens, worse policies have been taken forward after worse press coverage, if it was important (it was) maybe you should consider braving the storm just a little.

Social democrats are loving worthless.

I've only been able to find it in right-leaning papers. Pissflaps just posted the Spectator, and here's the Telegraph on it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/green-party/11383801/Greens-ditch-citizens-income-from-election-manifesto.html

However, two major points:

1. This is the right-wing press. They're hugely exaggerating as expected:

quote:

However speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme, Ms Lucas downplayed the significance of the policy to the Green Party’s election pitch.

“The citizens’ income is not going to be in the 2015 general election manifesto as something to be introduced on May 8th. It is a longer term aspiration; we are still working on it,” Ms Lucas said.

She said the aim is still “absolutely to be able to give everybody a guaranteed non-means tested income” but gave no indication about when the party would want to see it adopted.

Pushed later in the interview about whether the policy would be prioritised in any post-election negotiations, Ms Lucas said: “The citizen's income, as I've explained, is not going to be a red line and because it’s not going to be in the 2015 election manifesto.”

2. Lucas, while a very senior figure within the Greens, is not its leader. Neither, in a weird way, is Bennett. The whole way the party is set up means it has convenors rather than 'leaders' as such, who require broad consensus to make any major changes. Neither of them could just up and decide to take such a major flagship policy out of the manifesto at what is (relatively speaking) the last minute. Much more likely, I'd think, that the position of basic income hasn't actually changed, and has always been a long term goal rather than something that would be put into place on day 1 of a Green government. The Bennett interview has just put the spotlight on it, and the press is doing what the press does.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ThomasPaine posted:

1. This is the right-wing press. They're hugely exaggerating as expected:

I don't understand what the bit you've quoted and the bit you've bolded is meant to say that isn't in the link I provided?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Cerv posted:

definitely weird that they've let sn australian in.
inconceivable that anyone would ever vote for a foreign national.

Didn't he get his collar felt by the US IRS for unpaid taxes?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ultrabindu posted:

Didn't he get his collar felt by the US IRS for unpaid taxes?
He settled that bill, and tbh while there are plenty of things you can have a go at him for, that's not really one of them - the USA asserting the right to tax anyone who happens to hold US citizenship even on income earned and taxed outside the US, while living outside the US, is pretty much bullshit.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Pissflaps posted:

I don't understand what the bit you've quoted and the bit you've bolded is meant to say that isn't in the link I provided?

Essentially they haven't 'dropped' the policy and there hasn't been a 'U-Turn', that's just how the press is framing it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ThomasPaine posted:

Essentially they haven't 'dropped' the policy and there hasn't been a 'U-Turn', that's just how the press is framing it.

She said it would be costed in their Manifesto and now

quote:

“The citizen's income, as I've explained, is not going to be a red line and because it’s not going to be in the 2015 election manifesto.”

how is that not a dropped policy?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

LemonDrizzle posted:

He ain't heavy, he's my brother gently caress that worthless junkie bum lmao

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/homeless-tory-mp-brothers-desperate-5020416

I'd suggest being really careful about your instinctive reaction to this story. I know of a situation where the parents gave 110%, over many many years to try and be supportive and welcoming to their heroin addicted son.

They were repeatedly burned over the years and eventually there came a point where they said "we can't keep on giving you second chances and having our lives destroyed, you're on your own".

It's very easy for the addict to paint it as them cruelly cast off by their family, but this couple had the patience of saints and were driven to the end of their tether. I suspect that given the easy political capital that could be made off stories like this, the MP will have also pursued all reasonable alternatives to support his brother.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

LemonDrizzle posted:

He settled that bill, and tbh while there are plenty of things you can have a go at him for, that's not really one of them - the USA asserting the right to tax anyone who happens to hold US citizenship even on income earned and taxed outside the US, while living outside the US, is pretty much bullshit.

This is possibly the only single time I could ever feel a shred of sympathy for the odious oaf. That's the dumbest thing I've heard in ages - so you can live/work your entire life outside the US and the IRS always has the 'right' to demand payment? Buh?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sentinel Red posted:

This is possibly the only single time I could ever feel a shred of sympathy for the odious oaf. That's the dumbest thing I've heard in ages - so you can live/work your entire life outside the US and the IRS always has the 'right' to demand payment? Buh?

It's worse than that, even. There's meant to be a reciprocal arrangement where if you earn money in the US or UK while domiciled in the other, you pay tax in your country of residence. Needless to say, like all such arrangements it only applies when the UK is doing something for the US.

Tl;Dr - gently caress the IRS, they owe me $300.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah the IRS are mega-level assholes.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I don't see how - she's only answered two questions thus far, and both replies have been pretty reasonable. In fact there's also discussion that a notable section of the Greens wants their nuclear policy changed, which means it's one of the best things I've seen from them in awhile, because their position on science issues like that is my big sticking point with them, as it is with many others.

She answered eighteen in the end - but took quite a lot of time to get rolling. And we last tried to change our policy on nuclear power last November - the motion was botched and still managed about a third of the conference. Which means we can next make the attempt in November 2016.

(We changed our position on homeopathy back either in 2010 or 2011 - which is why there are so many who think that the Greens are pro-homeopathy. Our current position boils down to "We support homeopathy and the like as long as it can be shown to work").

ukle posted:

Yeah god knows why she handed over the reigns given she must have known how dodgy Bennett is.

Lucas was trying to do three jobs at once - constituency MP, Westminster MP, and leader of the Green Party. She felt she couldn't do all three at once. The party voted on who took over from her - and Bennett is great at throwing red meat to an audience that's already onside.

And the Green Party policies are what we believe would be good in a perfect world given as free a hand as possible. The Manifesto is what we are fighting on right now. We've not dropped the Citizen's Income from our policies, but more immediate policies include rolling back austerity and a £10 living wage. If there's an opportunity to push forward with Citizen's Income we'll take it

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This article:

Puts across a convincing argument Bennett is a very capable organisers and that the Greens have been caught completely off guard by their sudden surge to prominence, which explains the unpolished PR activities.

The idea the Greens are dropping the Citizens Income because it isn't a manifesto promise for this May is silly. Old Labour hadn't dropped Clause 4 when they didn't include it manifesto promises, it was a similar long term aspiration.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Does the Tory Party have any official long term aspirations that they leave out of their manifestos? I hope they do and it's something like "A return to the Victorian era", but it's probably wishy washy bullshit like "making Britain Great again" (which for them means the same thing)

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Speaking of dropping things, we accidentally dropped a tree branch through Theresa May's fence at work today. Oops.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

neonchameleon posted:

Our current position boils down to "We support homeopathy and the like as long as it can be shown to work").

So basically you no longer support homeopathy :smuggo:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Bozza posted:

Speaking of dropping things, we accidentally dropped a tree branch through Theresa May's fence at work today. Oops.

You're a terrorist now bozza

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Sentinel Red posted:

It's true, and it's bullshit. It's why my mum (who is American) didn't have my sister and I registered as US citizens until right before we actually moved to the US.

gently caress the IRS.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Sentinel Red posted:

If you are a US citizen abroad then you still need to file returns on everything every year with the IRS, just as you would if you lived there. But a US citizen in the UK only has to pay US taxes above a threshold of $100k iirc. Boris got caught out on the capital gains of selling a home in London.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

So basically you no longer support homeopathy :smuggo:

Basically yes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bozza posted:

You rebel you. Regular Stone Cold Steve Austin's up in this sum bitch!

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Pissflaps posted:

She said it would be costed in their Manifesto and now

how is that not a dropped policy?

From the Guardian article today:

quote:

Lucas said: “The citizen’s income is not going to be in the 2015 general election manifesto as something to be introduced on May 8th. It is a longer term aspiration, we are still working on it. The aim is absolutely, to be able to give everybody a guaranteed, non-means tested income, because that means that you can get around the poverty trap …

“When we come to publish our manifesto in March, you will see the workings out that we’ve got. This is not a policy for the next general election, it is lifting the living wage to £10 an hour by the end of this parliament … challenging the austerity of the other parties … what we need to be doing is investing in jobs rather than cutting jobs.”

It's not a dropped policy, it's still being kept in the manifesto, and the costing are still being published.

I'm going to go with direct quotes instead of right-wing spin being published by the Spectator.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When she says "living wage" I assume she doesn't mean "minimum wage" and thus it will have very little meaning?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hmm, considering they're not going to actually have any control over implementing their manifesto this election/parliament dropping a promise for them to do it does sound overly defeatist even if it hasn't totally disappeared. Here's hoping they publish, properly comprehend the thing and come out swinging later.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

OwlFancier posted:

When she says "living wage" I assume she doesn't mean "minimum wage" and thus it will have very little meaning?

It's an odd thing to say since in the UK the living wage is something some organisations do voluntarily and isn't set by the government anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

It's an odd thing to say since in the UK the living wage is something some organisations do voluntarily and isn't set by the government anyway.

Hence my pessimism/confusion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hobo posted:

I'm going to go with direct quotes instead of right-wing spin being published by the Spectator.

Her direct quote from the Today programme - in the post you just quoted - contradicts this.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Pissflaps posted:

Her direct quote from the Today programme - in the post you just quoted - contradicts this.

The Guardian article also quotes from that, but if you like, you can listen to the interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050zkrm

Her section starts at 2:23:20, and the part on citizen's income starts at 2:25:25, and the line you're mentioning is at ~2:28:30.

What she actually says is that "it's not going to be in the 2015 manifesto as an (imminent/immediate) [unclear which as she gets talked over] proposal" - and the rest of the interview makes it clear that while it's not a red-line policy, it will be in the manifesto and the costings will be released.

Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 2, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jedit posted:

It's worse than that, even. There's meant to be a reciprocal arrangement where if you earn money in the US or UK while domiciled in the other, you pay tax in your country of residence. Needless to say, like all such arrangements it only applies when the UK is doing something for the US.

This is why I didn't get US citizenship when I lived over there, even though I could have. (Well, that and the cost).

That said, while you have to file, you don't actually have anything to pay if you make less than about $90,000, if I recall. Which is a pretty decent salary!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

feedmegin posted:

This is why I didn't get US citizenship when I lived over there, even though I could have. (Well, that and the cost).

That said, while you have to file, you don't actually have anything to pay if you make less than about $90,000, if I recall. Which is a pretty decent salary!

You shouldn't have to file anything if you no longer live there, and you certainly shouldn't pay tax, even if you have a good income.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

McDragon posted:

1 to 10 I get, those are useful to know and get used. 11 and 12, I never really understood what they were good for apart from an indicator of "yeah, you've learnt a few things". Seems the first ten are good as a means to an ends, whereas any afterwards it just seems to be the end.

I suspect it had more to do with counting with pre-decimal money than anything else - twelve pence to the shilling, see.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So the weeping syphilitic chodes at Spiked have released some Free Speech rankings.

Your university gets an Amber if they have anti-harassment policy in their employee handbook.

Leeds got a red! :woop:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hobo posted:

What she actually says is that "it's not going to be in the 2015 manifesto as an (imminent/immediate) [unclear which as she gets talked over] proposal" - and the rest of the interview makes it clear that while it's not a red-line policy, it will be in the manifesto and the costings will be released.

Looks like we'll have to just wait a few weeks and see whose interpretation of her words is correct.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Pissflaps posted:

Looks like we'll have to just wait a few weeks and see whose interpretation of her words is correct.

You mean her actual words where she confirms says that the details will be released in March?

Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bozza posted:

Finally a feelgood story about reducing border controls

• Locked thread