Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

this game is cool but that bee boss was absolutely awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fonzarelli posted:

this game is cool but that bee boss was absolutely awful

Prime 1 has some kind of goofy bosses, but they are almost all front-loaded. The first "real" boss of the game is Flaahgra and after that, the bosses are fine. They are vastly improved in Prime 2, and there are way more of them too.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The gamecube was sick but it was no ps2, sadly.

Yeah. It was actually a good console with good games that are still fun. Plus unlike the PS2 it will read discs!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I never actually finished Metroid Prime, skipped Echoes, beat Metroid Prime 3. I'm glad I can get the full experience now :buddy: Thanks for giving a poo poo about Metroid Nintendo.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there anything special about Metroid Prime Trilogy in particular or is it just a straight up port?

I haven't gotten metroid prime 3 so I'm going to get it but I prefer the gamecube controller so if 1/2 are just ports I'd rather play the gamecube version of those again.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Prime 1 has some kind of goofy bosses, but they are almost all front-loaded. The first "real" boss of the game is Flaahgra and after that, the bosses are fine. They are vastly improved in Prime 2, and there are way more of them too.

I hated all the backtracking in Prime 2 but over all that game was pretty rad. I can't think of any boss I particularly disliked in it. The Ing ones were a little plain I guess?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Unit24 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Prime 3 is the best?

Well, maybe not necessarily the "best", but it's definitely my favorite. Prime 1 is a close second. Prime 2 is still pretty great, mostly because of the awesome Dark Samus battles.

Being spread around multiple planets was a cool idea, except each one was way too small and that killed a lot of the atmosphere and sense of exploration. Also even though the NPCs weren't completely terrible like in Other M, there was no need for them and having to talk to and interact with them also hurt the atmosphere a lot. Two of the defying characteristics of Metroid games (exploration and a sense of loneliness and isolation) were compromised and ultimately it kept the game from being as good as it could. Still owns though, but not like Prime 1.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

Is there anything special about Metroid Prime Trilogy in particular or is it just a straight up port?

I haven't gotten metroid prime 3 so I'm going to get it but I prefer the gamecube controller so if 1/2 are just ports I'd rather play the gamecube version of those again.

I hated all the backtracking in Prime 2 but over all that game was pretty rad. I can't think of any boss I particularly disliked in it. The Ing ones were a little plain I guess?

They're best when they are super-powered versions of regular enemies. Except for the Dark Alpha Blogg because gently caress that guy and his goddamn hitbox

If there is one problem with Echoes is that it has some very wonky hitboxes on pretty drat key enemies.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Adam Bowen posted:

Two of the defying characteristics of Metroid games (exploration and a sense of loneliness and isolation)

You get that latter once you see them start getting killed off and see the post credits stinger :smith: .

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I've seen some people with little metroids instead of the platinum grenade and I want one

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've seen some people with little metroids instead of the platinum grenade and I want one

You have to be an imp zone IK/mod for those.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Eye of Widesauron posted:

You have to be an imp zone IK/mod for those.

My life has new purpose

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Anatharon posted:

- if you get the eshop version that came out, the loading times on all 3 games is practically non-existant, you can notice this by how long doors take to open when shot.

- the motion pointer controls from 3 get added to 1 and 2, which is actually a godsend that makes shooting easier. you can take cover and shoot missiles/wavebeam shots that curve around the cover.

- metroid prime 1 and 2 retroactively get the morphball jump from prime 3 where jerking the remote upward makes the morphball jump. this is super-hella useful and will make travel/bombjumping hella easy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also changed some of the Prime 2 bosses to be less tedious, there's an extra easy difficulty for each game, there are visual changes like widescreen, slightly higher res textures, etc, the music for the older games is longer and less compressed, etc.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
i remember when prime came out i couldnt believe how insanely good the graphics looked. it still is an extremely good looking game age considered and its very, very fun. im going to go play more of it now

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ruddha posted:

i remember when prime came out i couldnt believe how insanely good the graphics looked. it still is an extremely good looking game age considered and its very, very fun. im going to go play more of it now

Gamer hell yeah

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think the main thing that set MP apart from everything else was that the environments felt less cut-and-paste than other big 3D games of the day, especially compared to something like Halo which had lots of terrible samey levels towards the end.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think the main thing that set MP apart from everything else was that the environments felt less cut-and-paste than other big 3D games of the day, especially compared to something like Halo which had lots of terrible samey levels towards the end.

The atmosphere, dude. The amazing soundtrack combined with the environments and the fact that you're viewing everything through the visor makes the game incredibly tense and immersive as hell.

e: compared to all games, to this day.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ruddha posted:

IMO the effects on the visor were mindblowing.

I know a bunch of people were down on Donkey Kong Country Returns but Retro Studios does good work. It'd be neat if they did another Metroid Game.

Your Computer posted:

The atmosphere, dude. The amazing soundtrack combined with the environments and the fact that you're viewing everything through the visor makes the game incredibly tense and immersive as hell.

e: compared to all games, to this day.

Yeah it really holds up for sure, can't wait to see it in the Smithsonian.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something I only just noticed in Prime 1 is that if you're at critical health you can faintly hear injured breathing. This loving game. How did they get so much right and still remember little touches like that, eye reflections in the visor, and X-ray visor's effect on the gun?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Anatharon posted:

IMO the effects on the visor were mindblowing.

I know a bunch of people were down on Donkey Kong Country Returns but Retro Studios does good work. It'd be neat if they did another Metroid Game.

How could anyone be down on DKCR? It's not Metroid Prime quality but it's really good, good enough that going back and playing the original DKC games is kind of disappointing now.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Adam Bowen posted:

How could anyone be down on DKCR? It's not Metroid Prime quality but it's really good, good enough that going back and playing the original DKC games is kind of disappointing now.

It's good its just not what people wanted Retro to be doing. They wanted them to update a nintendo franchise again like the did with Metroid or make another Prime. Also don't forget the DKC:R for the wii had loving motion controls in a precision platformer it was later fixed in the 3ds port but damage done.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
i thought DKC:R was perfect i don't know anyone that complained about it

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Haruharuharuko posted:

It's good its just not what people wanted Retro to be doing. They wanted them to update a nintendo franchise again like the did with Metroid or make another Prime. Also don't forget the DKC:R for the wii had loving motion controls in a precision platformer it was later fixed in the 3ds port but damage done.

Which is exactly what they did, with Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Wootman posted:

i thought DKC:R was perfect i don't know anyone that complained about it

Literally every review said something along the lines of

Brad Shoemaker posted:

if you're yearning for solid, demanding 2D platforming and can look past some slightly misplaced motion controls

Which is exactly what they did, with Donkey Kong Country Returns.
How is making the exact same game reinvigorating a series? Note: I love the poo poo out of DKC:R3D and DKC:TF but gently caress I wish they used that talent for something else.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Haruharuharuko posted:

How is making the exact same game reinvigorating a series? Note: I love the poo poo out of DKC:R3D and DKC:TF but gently caress I wish they used that talent for something else.

We hadn't had an actual proper DKC game since DKC 3 and that was a whole two console generations ago. DK64 was kind of a mixed bag and DK hadn't helmed his own game in awhile. Retro took all the existing elements Rare had left behind, tossed what they didn't want, and rebuilt the game. It's the same basic concept, but the game plays quite different from the SNES DK games. The changes are all good, more or less, and the difficulty and quality of platforming is better than ever. In fact, I'd argue that both of the Retro DK games are actually better than the Rare ones in almost every regard.

It breathed new life into the franchise, and now we can expect to see more Donkey Kong games in the pipeline, even if Retro won't be attached to them.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
My list:

Tropical Freeze > 2 > Returns > 1 > 3 > 64

Prime 1 => Super Metroid => Zero Mission > Prime 2 > Fusion > Prime 3 > Metroid 2 > Hunters > Metroid 1

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

We hadn't had an actual proper DKC game since DKC 3 and that was a whole two console generations ago. DK64 was kind of a mixed bag and DK hadn't helmed his own game in awhile. Retro took all the existing elements Rare had left behind, tossed what they didn't want, and rebuilt the game. It's the same basic concept, but the game plays quite different from the SNES DK games. The changes are all good, more or less, and the difficulty and quality of platforming is better than ever. In fact, I'd argue that both of the Retro DK games are actually better than the Rare ones in almost every regard.

It breathed new life into the franchise, and now we can expect to see more Donkey Kong games in the pipeline, even if Retro won't be attached to them.

Yeah I just will still never forgive them for shaking for rolling damnit that game looked so good for a wii game. Those shadow levels are still loving gorgeous.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

My life has new purpose

yeah, alright, have fun.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So do I have to use the Trilogy Wiimote + Nunchuk controls

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
:sigh: Well, guess I'll just have to deal with it to play Metroid Prime again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Prime 1 owns. I have no burning need to replay it and 8 gigs is an abomination for my garbage Internet but goddamn if I won't buy it for $10.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Moltrey posted:

Prime 1 owns. I have no burning need to replay it and 8 gigs is an abomination for my garbage Internet but goddamn if I won't buy it for $10.
Take your Wii U to a friend's place with good internet. While you are there you can play some good multiplayer games like Mario 3-D World.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nobody wants new games. Everyone wants reskins and HD remakes of their favorite games as a kid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody wants new games. Everyone wants reskins and HD remakes of their favorite games as a kid.
This seems true. I can't even name any games that came out after 2009.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

People want new games if they're good games, but they also like to play old games that are good games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Pablo Gigante posted:

People want new games if they're good games, but they also like to play old games that are good games.

But everyone feels like games today suck compared to games from back then. I'm inclined to agree, but I know it has to be nostalgia.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Wii U has both the best new games and treasured classic games which it is literally the best console.

But everyone feels like games today suck compared to games from back then. I'm inclined to agree, but I know it has to be nostalgia.

Most of those peeps are called PS4 owners. W101, ZombiU, and Bayonetta 2 fukken owned and are only on the Wii U

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, everyone thinks that. I know some game developers, and their despair runs deep and cuts sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

There's still a lot of people who constantly buy the new games and then forget they exist a month later, excited to preorder the next new game.

• Locked thread