Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

lol if you pre-order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think it's OK to pre-order if the game is going to absolutely for sure be awesome. So far the only game that has consistently met this criteria is everything Metal Gear Solid.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It is never ok to preorder unless they are literally giving away something that is worth more than the game itself. Pretty much every game goes on sale for 20% off the week of or after and 50% the next month.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody wants new games. Everyone wants reskins and HD remakes of their favorite games as a kid.

What kind of people have you been talking to? I haven't seen this attitude in a while.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Why is this stickied?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Metroid Prime is slightly not as good as Super Metroid but that's nothing to be ashamed about.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

seiferguy posted:

Metroid Prime is slightly not as good as Super Metroid but that's nothing to be ashamed about.

Apples and oranges my friend. Or maybe space apples and space oranges. Or maybe it's actually like regular apples vs space apples. I dunno.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite metroid game is fusion

instead of ridley make Nightmare the series recurring boss imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Apples and oranges my friend. Or maybe space apples and space oranges. Or maybe it's actually like regular apples vs space apples. I dunno.

If you compare the sidescrolling ones against themselves and the 3D ones against themselves, fair enough, then it looks like this:

Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Fusion > Metroid 2 > Metroid

Admittedly all of these are great. The first two only fall flat because of their hardware limitations. What Metroid 2 accomplished on the Game Boy was pretty impressive, honestly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wasn't going to buy this because I have a disc copy but £9 in hope that it might show some support for a new Metroid game isn't much.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

But everyone feels like games today suck compared to games from back then. I'm inclined to agree, but I know it has to be nostalgia.

The big publishers are releasing nothing but shallow focus-group developed games knowing that plenty of people will pay $60 to consume forgettable trash, but it's actually a great time to be a gamer as long as you recognize that a game being labelled "AAA" means you can pretty much ignore it completely.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jawtramp posted:

Why is this stickied?

because Kewpuh likes metroid

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Imagine a whole first page of stickied metroid topics

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

mabels big day posted:

its true

also its a really good deal

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I believe speaking ill of Super Metroid is bannable in this forum. Which, why would you? It's the greatest game of all time.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The metallic case boxed copies are still going for enough that you could probably sell one and buy a Wii U with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shame I have the easily obtainable PAL, version would have been nice to make some money from it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Imagine a whole first page of stickied metroid topics

Can we at least get this in Imp Zone?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

lol if you pre-order

Worked out well for those who pre-ordered Xenoblade Chronicles...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It is never ok to preorder unless they are literally giving away something that is worth more than the game itself. Pretty much every game goes on sale for 20% off the week of or after and 50% the next month.

The best reason for pre-ordering (and by this I mean physical copies of games from physical stores) is that you have 30 ~ 45 days to play a game from launch while watching for price drops. If you see a drop during that month/month and a half, buy the discounted copy and then return it along with your launch copy's receipt to the store you pre-ordered at.

As long as you know you want to play the game within those initial weeks, you pretty much can't do wrong.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

That sounds like a lot of effort for a toy. Pass.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think it's OK to pre-order if the game is going to absolutely for sure be awesome.

This is 0% of games.

Generally I pre-order stuff I'm interested in on Amazon to reserve the lowest price (which usually ends up saving at least £5), and cancel it the second bad opinions start flooding in.

If a game has a post-launch embargo I generally cancel it on the spot and wait months after release before I give it another look. Scummy, scummy poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I pre-ordered Saints Row: Gat Outta Hell because it was $5 for some reason. I wasn't even planning on buying it

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I pre-ordered Saints Row: Gat Outta Hell because it was $5 for some reason. I wasn't even planning on buying it

This is acceptable

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Can we put up a disclaimer to play this game on Veteran mode. I restarted when I found out normal was actually easy mode and the game's somewhat challenging now.

Puma AC-30
Oct 10, 2012

Never knew I could do this, thank you. Just got one for myself, might be getting another one to give away.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

alcharagia posted:

:sigh: Well, guess I'll just have to deal with it to play Metroid Prime again.

What kind of bizarro world person prefers loving dual analog to pointer controls for an FPS

dual analog is a control scheme so terrible that developers need to implement copious aim assist just so that players can aim semi accurately at things

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Puma AC-30 posted:

Never knew I could do this, thank you. Just got one for myself, might be getting another one to give away.

It's been there for a few months but they don't really advertise it and it's only available on Nintendo games, not 3rd party ones. There's also a page somewhere where you can paste in a code and redeem it have have it start downloading to your Wii U.

It's like they have all the parts of the online services everyone else has, but they just gotta get it organized.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

What kind of bizarro world person prefers loving dual analog to pointer controls for an FPS

dual analog is a control scheme so terrible that developers need to implement copious aim assist just so that players can aim semi accurately at things

Dual analogue isn't a great compromise (but can still be enjoyable to play if the developers fight a sweet spot of aim assisting without feeling like aim assist), but the Wii remote is such an inaccurate, useless piece of poo poo that I'd choose a pad over it any day of the week.

Puma AC-30
Oct 10, 2012

elf help book posted:

It's been there for a few months but they don't really advertise it and it's only available on Nintendo games, not 3rd party ones. There's also a page somewhere where you can paste in a code and redeem it have have it start downloading to your Wii U.

It's like they have all the parts of the online services everyone else has, but they just gotta get it organized.

Ack, I looked for that page but maybe I'm dumb. Is that page only available after an order, or is there a page somewhere where you can type in any old code you have and redeem it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Puma AC-30 posted:

Ack, I looked for that page but maybe I'm dumb. Is that page only available after an order, or is there a page somewhere where you can type in any old code you have and redeem it?

https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

Dual analogue isn't a great compromise (but can still be enjoyable to play if the developers fight a sweet spot of aim assisting without feeling like aim assist), but the Wii remote is such an inaccurate, useless piece of poo poo that I'd choose a pad over it any day of the week.

Point your wii remote at the screen.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

This works for 3DS codes right? I can plug in a code I get from Club Nintendo and then be able to download the game from the eShop later?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zenintrude posted:

This works for 3DS codes right? I can plug in a code I get from Club Nintendo and then be able to download the game from the eShop later?

I've never tried it but that's what these screenshots show: http://nintendonews.com/2014/10/eshop-website-redeem-codes/

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Steve2911 posted:

I've heard some bad hyperbole about the Wiimote but pretty much all of it revolved around shoehorned-in motion controls (which is a legit complaint for a lot of games). When used as basically a lightgun it works fine and is very accurate if you're not a moron and happened to place your sensor bar in a weird spot or something.

Sorry but there is no way that "point Wiimote at screen, shoot mans" is worse than objectively the worst common FPS control scheme

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

zenintrude posted:

Yes, I used it for KI: Uprising earlier today.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My Metroid Prime Trilogy download has been going on for almost 30 hours and it's at 924 MBs/7765 MBs.

Take your bets on when this'll get done, folks

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wootman posted:

i thought DKC:R was perfect i don't know anyone that complained about it
No Kremlings
Diddy isn't a separate character, more like an accessory to Donkey, and becomes a floaty character which is supposed to be Dixie
The new enemies suck
Rambi is the only animal you can ride
No NPCs, just Cranky
I don't like how the kongs had voices instead of stock monkey noises
None of Rare's humor or charm

It's still a solid platformer, and I guess that's all that really matters. But the 10 year old Donkey Kong Country fan within me hated it. I've only played the 3DS version. I keep hearing Tropical Freeze is really good, and I plan on getting a Wii U in the not too distant future, so I'll definetly buy it and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I've heard some bad hyperbole about the Wiimote but pretty much all of it revolved around shoehorned-in motion controls (which is a legit complaint for a lot of games). When used as basically a lightgun it works fine and is very accurate if you're not a moron and happened to place your sensor bar in a weird spot or something.

Sorry but there is no way that "point Wiimote at screen, shoot mans" is worse than objectively the worst common FPS control scheme
It's mostly frustrating because the Gamecube Primes had arguably the beat controls of any console FPS. The Wiimote is definitely better than dual analog though.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
if you ever played the wii version of RE4 you'd be insane not to come to the conclusion that pointer controls are vastly superior to dual stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe
Purchasing advice taken. Now I just need to find some time to actually play it.

• Locked thread