Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hello my name is signalnoise and I have a problem.

I have a growing collection of plastic dolls to the point where I don't remember everything that I have or where it is. I want to build something out of software to catalog all my poo poo, so I can, at a moment's notice, pull up various parts of my collection to know whether or not I have something. I don't know if I should be using excel for this, or using a database, or what.

Anyone else have the problem, or has anyone tackled this issue to their satisfaction? If so, how are you dealing with it? Right now my gut instinct is to make an Access database with all the possible items for the games I have invested in, and then make an Excel book that I can use to reference the database as a source, and pull up tables that way.

Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my painted/unpainted 40K poo poo, along with points values for the painted stuff to aid in list-building. It works out pretty well but I wish I had an app on my phone that did something similar.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd like to know if there is such an app. As it is I'm building a MySQL database with all the stuff from all the games I play and filling in quantities that I own and want, then I got my wordpress site a plugin that can query the database. But I'd rather have a standalone inventorying program.

Think I'll ask in SH/SC about inventory software

• Locked thread