Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Tarezax posted:

If you look at the city names on the map it seems pretty much everyone is some shade of Germanic. This makes sense given the history of Europa that we learn as the game progresses.

Actually, I recognize about three quarters of the city names as Dutch with a couple of ones that may be Belgian instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it just me or is there a horse head on the country map? The small lake being an eye.

The game is half off on Steam at the moment.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Need to level out your audio or something, your voice is hella louder than the game. Have to keep turning the volume up and down to adjust, gets a bit annoying.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

So are Darcsen the AnimeJews in this game? Or a less direct analogue yet still minority-that-people-poo poo-on.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

They're not really jewish culturally, but yeah they're the oppresed minority to complete the wwII analog

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Victis posted:

So are Darcsen the AnimeJews in this game? Or a less direct analogue yet still minority-that-people-poo poo-on.

They pretty much fill in the jewish role in WW2, the minority that get poo poo on and blamed for a bunch of dumb stuff and the scapegoat in this world.

Gridlocked posted:

Even the good guys are a shade of 30's-40's German themed in Japanese Not-WW2 stories.

Man what is with them and their obsessions with the Nazis/Axis?

It kinda helps they were part of the Axis and thus allies with Nazi Germany. They also loved all things german even before the war since Germany help modernize Japan into the world power it was back in the day.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now.

This time we complete Chapter 4 with an interesting battle. The map has a couple of neat gimicks which can save you a lot of time. It's also quite funny to watch a chain explosion happen if you manage to pull that of.

kaosdrachen posted:

Actually, I recognize about three quarters of the city names as Dutch with a couple of ones that may be Belgian instead.

From what I've read Gallia is supposed to be loosely based off of Holland atleast that's what they stated in the "Valkyria Chronicles Design Archive".

Speaking of real world resemblances I found a map where Europa (black lines) is layered on top of our real world Europe.
EDIT: Although, comparing it to the other maps we have seen thus far, this one looks kind of incorret or atleast very inaccurate.

Poil posted:

Is it just me or is there a horse head on the country map? The small lake being an eye.

The game is half off on Steam at the moment.

Not only any horse head, but the head of the mighty and fabulous unicorn (if you include the little island to the north west)
Seems like they did that one on purpose though since the unicorn is also the nation's symbol.

Drachir D Nalem posted:

Need to level out your audio or something, your voice is hella louder than the game. Have to keep turning the volume up and down to adjust, gets a bit annoying.

First time I've ever heard that complaint from somebody but sure, I'll play around with the audio a bit for the next video.

Gridlocked posted:

Even the good guys are a shade of 30's-40's German themed in Japanese Not-WW2 stories.

Man what is with them and their obsessions with the Nazis/Axis?

Edit: I take it we are Not!Belgium judging by our position on the map of Europe. And everything we have is slightly German themed without any of the Nazi stuff while the Empire appears to be Imperialist Nazis. I bet they are lead by Emperor Gigahitler.

Edit 2: Can I request that you turn the recording volume of the in-game sound up a tiny bit. The dialogue is really quiet in comparison to your voice Ape.

Well as far as I know Gallia is supposed to be represantative of Holland but they repositioned it to a location they felt more convenient I guess.

I think that they never really mention the emperor himself, maybe in one of the gloassary or personnel entries but I could be wrong about that.
The anime tries to give some insight as to how the autocratic system is supposed to work why a certain guy (who we haven't met yet) is in Gallia and so on and so forth.

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 8, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

She's reporting for GBS? I found that way more funny than I should've.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This game looks great at 60FPS, but I heard there was a bug with rapid-fire weapons like the Assault's gun or a tank's machinegun. Their damage was tied to how many frames took place during their attack, giving them a ton more damage at 60FPS rather than 30. Is that true?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Apepresident posted:

Well as far as I know Gallia is supposed to be representative of Holland but they repositioned it to a location they felt more convenient I guess.

I'll take your word for it but wouldn't the Netherlands be more likely to be that un-coloured country with Namor as its capital (http://i.imgur.com/9IVcpGF.jpg) considering the shape and the way it has that little island chain?

Gallia just appears to be the country in between Not!France and Not!Germany which would make it Belgium. That being said the abundance of windmills lend themselves to the Holland argument.

Maybe its Not!Holland+Not!Belgium to overall represent the North Sea coastal nations that were technically neutral at the start of the way but were invaded for strategic/unifying The Third Reich purposes?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

This game looks great at 60FPS, but I heard there was a bug with rapid-fire weapons like the Assault's gun or a tank's machinegun. Their damage was tied to how many frames took place during their attack, giving them a ton more damage at 60FPS rather than 30. Is that true?

yeah

honestly it's probably an improvement balance wise

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You are familiar there was a big war slightly less than 30 years before WW2, right Gridlocked? Because theme-wise Valkyria Chronicles is drawing most of its setting details FROM THE SITUATION SURROUNDING WWI. The breakout of war between the Alliance and the Federation is also reminiscent of the tensions surrounding the Great War(no, not the assassination obviously, that was just the catalyst. Even without it there would likely have been a war in the next few years). Just because there are Germanic elements does not mean there is much Nazi inspiration, because the EEIA is drawing its themes from loving IMPERIAL GERMANY AND IMPERIAL RUSSIA. Amazingly, this is about the same area the Empire occupies in not-Europe as well.

The "Well the Third Reich invaded a small neighboring country for reasons" doesn't work either, because, shockingly, the Low Countries were invaded during WWI as well. Darcsens, while somewhat similar to Jews, are at the same time in a different situation with actual historical events behind why they're disliked; by a significant portion of the populace, Empire or no, if you may notice.

While Japan does seem to draw from Nazi Germany for influences a decent bit, related to any number of reasons, continually trying to say this game is particularly reminiscent of that is ridiculous. There's exactly one story point I'm aware of that draws upon something related to the Third Reich, while everything else hearkens back to a political and national situation incredibly removed from that.

Crembo
Sep 1, 2004
zionist conspirator
Seconding the sound balance mix request; The commentary is many times louder than game audio.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
From the way I perceived the map, Gallia felt a lot more like the not-Baltic-states to me than the Netherlands... though I guess that would put the windmill in perspective.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You get three turns to try and evac a downed soldier, but they're outright dead if an enemy soldier touches them first. :commissar:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lord Koth posted:

You are familiar there was a big war slightly less than 30 years before WW2, right Gridlocked? Because theme-wise Valkyria Chronicles is drawing most of its setting details FROM THE SITUATION SURROUNDING WWI. The breakout of war between the Alliance and the Federation is also reminiscent of the tensions surrounding the Great War(no, not the assassination obviously, that was just the catalyst. Even without it there would likely have been a war in the next few years). Just because there are Germanic elements does not mean there is much Nazi inspiration, because the EEIA is drawing its themes from loving IMPERIAL GERMANY AND IMPERIAL RUSSIA. Amazingly, this is about the same area the Empire occupies in not-Europe as well.

The "Well the Third Reich invaded a small neighboring country for reasons" doesn't work either, because, shockingly, the Low Countries were invaded during WWI as well. Darcsens, while somewhat similar to Jews, are at the same time in a different situation with actual historical events behind why they're disliked; by a significant portion of the populace, Empire or no, if you may notice.

While Japan does seem to draw from Nazi Germany for influences a decent bit, related to any number of reasons, continually trying to say this game is particularly reminiscent of that is ridiculous. There's exactly one story point I'm aware of that draws upon something related to the Third Reich, while everything else hearkens back to a political and national situation incredibly removed from that.

You seem really angry. Why are you angry?

Thank you for your input though, I didn't consider the First World War influences considering the game is mostly talked about in reference to WW2.

Edit: Just watched Ep 5. What are the odds on Welks getting to shoot some evil bloke with that flare pistol to save the day/girl/sister?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 9, 2015

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Haha what the gently caress are you talking about, guess what this game is about WWII sorry (expressly the Second Europan war).

This game even has AnimeJews with NotYarmulkes that are held responsible for the death of NotJesus or whatever the Calamity is.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm not sure why he was quite that fervent about it, but it definitely takes some elements from WWI as well, it's not a 1-1 WWII analog

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Never heard about that bug, only know that there was a bug where you're tanks could defy the laws of physics if you reached like 100 fps or something like that.

Gridlocked posted:

I'll take your word for it but wouldn't the Netherlands be more likely to be that un-coloured country with Namor as its capital (http://i.imgur.com/9IVcpGF.jpg) considering the shape and the way it has that little island chain?

Gallia just appears to be the country in between Not!France and Not!Germany which would make it Belgium. That being said the abundance of windmills lend themselves to the Holland argument.

Maybe its Not!Holland+Not!Belgium to overall represent the North Sea coastal nations that were technically neutral at the start of the way but were invaded for strategic/unifying The Third Reich purposes?

Could be possible. Actually a lot of people think that it's a mixture of both Belgium and Holland eventhough the developers say otherwise.

David Corbett posted:

From the way I perceived the map, Gallia felt a lot more like the not-Baltic-states to me than the Netherlands... though I guess that would put the windmill in perspective.
Thought the exact same thing the first time I saw the map. But if you look closer and compare it to real europe you can actually see that it's only a bit more to the north of Holland. So probably somewhere in between Holland and northwest Germany.
Looking at the map (http://i.imgur.com/9IVcpGF.jpg) I think that the baltic states are a bit more to the east of where Varrot's head is. They are barely visible though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You get three turns to try and evac a downed soldier, but they're outright dead if an enemy soldier touches them first. :commissar:
Yeah, that's true. But the AI preferrs to derp around most of the time instead of being effective with it's turns. So they'll onlly really kill one of your units if they're completely out of position (like next to 2 or 3 enemy units)
Other than that your guys should be pretty safe most of the time.

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: Just watched Ep 5. What are the odds on Welks getting to shoot some evil bloke with that flare pistol to save the day/girl/sister?

I can't recall if the flare gun is ever used again. I think there's like one more scene where he'll be actually using it but I'm not sure about that.

Victis posted:

Haha what the gently caress are you talking about, guess what this game is about WWII sorry (expressly the Second Europan war).

This game even has AnimeJews with NotYarmulkes that are held responsible for the death of NotJesus or whatever the Calamity is.

Well no it's not some religious nonsense more like a historical reason so it's more reminiscent of the stab-in-the-back legend than the whole jesus thing I think (although the jesus story also has some historical background)
Sadly it takes quite a while until the characters are actually talking more in depth about the Darcsen Calamity.

Crembo posted:

Seconding the sound balance mix request; The commentary is many times louder than game audio.
Working on it for the next one. Thanks for the feedback!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Thank you for your input though, I didn't consider the First World War influences considering the game is mostly talked about in reference to WW2.

A combination of you touching on a sore point, and being completely exhausted and thus having basically zero tolerance when writing that post. You've been going on for basically two pages about how it's clearly Nazi Germany-themed because of how Japan has a strange attraction to using them and it's a bit silly. Not that the Japanese don't(Hi, Hitler in Demon Tokyo!) but this is explicitly a world war in not-Europe story. Continually stating that it's like this because :japan: is incredibly ridiculous(ignoring for a moment that a bunch of the references are much more Imperial themed than Nazi). There'd almost certainly be a German analogue regardless of who made it.

Victis posted:

Wow, so a name apparently tells you everything you need to know about a game with no deeper analysis required, huh? It's not like the political situation leading up to the breakout of the war far more closely represents the situation in 1914 than 1939, or that the situation on the primary front, initial rapid advance by the Empire followed by quagmire, does as well. Hell tanks, while of course far more common and modern-looking that actual WW1 tanks, are generally being used as infantry support, which was of course the initial doctrine developed for them.

There are definitely WW2 themes in the game - the Darcsens being the big one - but the overall representation of the conflict is far more reminiscent of the Great War rather than WW2

Gridlocked posted:

Pretty sure it never happens, partially because the anime is quite bad. It might give a bit more characterization to some characters like Jan, but it's at the expense of everything else. Alicia? Goes from a generally decent at all times person to a generic tsundere. Welkin? In-game he's basically a fully functional person who happens to draw inspiration from nature for a few of his plans, while his anime version seems incapable of interacting in anything resembling a normal manner(see: Comparing Alicia to a beetle). The Edelweiss? Generally good tank that's pretty outclassed lategame against late-model Empire tanks becomes a supertank. Faldio? Uh, the less said about anime Faldio the better. Also a goddamn love-triangle.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I interpret the game as strongly inspired by the winter war, if you look at the greater role of the Gallian war in the not-european power balance.

The Edelweis is also the one thing the looks the most like it came out of Nazi-Germany in the game. At leas of the things that show up more then once.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Gallia is every underdog European country. You can try to analyze all the details, but the analog is never going to line up any neater than that.

Every real life counterpart of everything is just that loose of an interpretation.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lord Koth posted:

A combination of you touching on a sore point, and being completely exhausted and thus having basically zero tolerance when writing that post. You've been going on for basically two pages about how it's clearly Nazi Germany-themed because of how Japan has a strange attraction to using them and it's a bit silly. Not that the Japanese don't(Hi, Hitler in Demon Tokyo!) but this is explicitly a world war in not-Europe story. Continually stating that it's like this because :japan: is incredibly ridiculous(ignoring for a moment that a bunch of the references are much more Imperial themed than Nazi). There'd almost certainly be a German analogue regardless of who made it.

You felt the need to get angry over the internet at a discussion on where a game draws parallels in a LP thread and you're telling me that I'm silly? Ok man.

Lord Koth posted:

Pretty sure it never happens, partially because the anime is quite bad. It might give a bit more characterization to some characters like Jan, but it's at the expense of everything else. Alicia? Goes from a generally decent at all times person to a generic tsundere. Welkin? In-game he's basically a fully functional person who happens to draw inspiration from nature for a few of his plans, while his anime version seems incapable of interacting in anything resembling a normal manner(see: Comparing Alicia to a beetle). The Edelweiss? Generally good tank that's pretty outclassed lategame against late-model Empire tanks becomes a supertank. Faldio? Uh, the less said about anime Faldio the better. Also a goddamn love-triangle.

I was actually talking about the 5th video of the LP. Coincidentally I was considering getting the Anime to watch along with the LP but you have talked me out of it. For the better it seems. It sounds like the anime was more of a cash in on a successful game franchise then anything.

tonberrytoby posted:

I interpret the game as strongly inspired by the winter war, if you look at the greater role of the Gallian war in the not-european power balance.

The Edelweis is also the one thing the looks the most like it came out of Nazi-Germany in the game. At leas of the things that show up more then once.

The gun puts me in mind of a T-55 but I don't know why.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
This time the episode got a bittle bit longer than I wanted to but oh well.

We finally get to see they guys who're behind the imperial invasion on Gallia for the first time and we also find a porcavian pig (A PIG WITH FREAKING WINGS!!!!!)
The battle this time around turned out to be a bit longer, could've maybe ended it a turn earlier but I got unlucky a couple of times. Still managed to show everything I wanted to and still get the A rank so I'm happy with that.

Gridlocked posted:

I was actually talking about the 5th video of the LP. Coincidentally I was considering getting the Anime to watch along with the LP but you have talked me out of it. For the better it seems. It sounds like the anime was more of a cash in on a successful game franchise then anything.

Well the anime sure isn't nearly as good as it should've been and I also wouldn't recommend watching the entire series but atleast a couple of episodes to see what they've done with it. They changed quite a lot of things not only the personalities of the main cast but also added some new characters of which some are actually pretty decent. They also have a couple of cool ideas like there's this one episode we're they're basically showing you what's happening on the imperial side. You also learn much more about the Darcsen Calamity by watching the first minute of the first episode than after sinking like 5-8 hours into the game. Also seeing those lovely sidecharacters like Jann and Susie talk a bit more than they do throughout the game is actually pretty refreshing for a change

That said however they're overdoing the entire love story, like they're constantly reminding you "Hey, he has feelings for her and so does she. Aren't they cute?" And that's probably the thing that killed the show for me (together with that stupid love triangle). There are also some other changes which ruined a gigantic plot twist which was actually supposed to happen at the end of the series.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ok that pig was just too cute. :3:
Did... that guy in the cut scene have a cow(?) skull strapped to his shoulder? Why? Is it fashionable?

Maybe I'll watch the anime after the lp is over then. I was almost about to.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Apparently the little piggy things voice actor is the same guy who does Welks.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Man, I've always been really curious about this game, so it's nice to finally see it shown off. I appreciate the 'Not-WWII' setting, Japan has always had a fascination with mid-century europe that spills over into an interesting mishmash of references and inspirations, such that everything reminds you of something but almost nothing is simply a direct analogue.

That said, god drat they put the petal to the loving floor in anime-ing up some of the setting. I'm totally into Squad 7's motley crew, for the most part and contrary to the genre, they seem like mostly reasonable, interesting, grounded, and well-rounded characters. And then you get to the bad-guys.

Let's see, you've got General Skullpauldron, General Schoolgirl-face-in-a-tits-extruding-uniform, and the archangel Gabriel all mumbling about how these lowly rabble need a good boot on their neck. The only remotely subtle dude is the guy who looks like an evil bank clerk. I was kind of hoping for a little more 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and a little less 'Power Rangers villains'. To it's credit though, Welks does have a certain 'Yang WenLi'-ness about him.

I'm also hoping the missions get more challenging as the game progresses - it seems like much of the challenge lies in getting good ranks rather than beating missions outright, but then again we're only a few missions into the game. I've been watching andplaying a lot of X-Com lately and it's interesting to see the similarities between the games, but as of right now, tactically, everything seems a little bit easy. Seems like most of the challenge for a competent player is in getting a good grade rather than completing the mission. I'm hoping that the enemy AI takes a more active and offensive role in future battles, it seems like now they seem to enjoy standing still until it's their turn to get shot.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 11, 2015

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
Audio is much better now.

I like that guy with the shoulder skull. Pretty metal. Though he'll probably be the first enemy commander that matters that you got to kill, he seem to actually care about his troops. Can't have that.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Man, I've always been really curious about this game, so it's nice to finally see it shown off. I appreciate the 'Not-WWII' setting, Japan has always had a fascination with mid-century europe that spills over into an interesting mishmash of references and inspirations, such that everything reminds you of something but almost nothing is simply a direct analogue.

That said, god drat they put the petal to the loving floor in anime-ing up some of the setting. I'm totally into Squad 7's motley crew, for the most part and contrary to the genre, they seem like mostly reasonable, interesting, grounded, and well-rounded characters. And then you get to the bad-guys.

Let's see, you've got General Skullpauldron, General Schoolgirl-face-in-a-tits-extruding-uniform, and the archangel Gabriel all mumbling about how these lowly rabble need a good boot on their neck. The only remotely subtle dude is the guy who looks like an evil bank clerk. I was kind of hoping for a little more 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' and a little less 'Power Rangers villains'. To it's credit though, Welks does have a certain 'Yang WenLi'-ness about him.

Eh, "Gabriel" is kinda similar to a not-as-great Reinhard, and not just in appearance.
Also, feel that some of the bad guys get quite a bit of, if not character development then at least insight into their motivations that makes them more interesting than they appear at first glance.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

McKilligan posted:

The only remotely subtle dude is the guy who looks like an evil bank clerk.

I believe his name is Adolf Smugler.

Crembo
Sep 1, 2004
zionist conspirator
Audio balance has considerably improved, thank you!

I'd forgotten how hilarious Jann's voice quotes are. And just how many unique voice quotes and combinations exist in the game, too. Loving the playthrough thus far, I always enjoy the more informative LPs better.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Crembo posted:

Audio balance has considerably improved, thank you!

I'd forgotten how hilarious Jann's voice quotes are. And just how many unique voice quotes and combinations exist in the game, too. Loving the playthrough thus far, I always enjoy the more informative LPs better.

Jann is the most fabulous Lancer, it's amazing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I saw everything else coming, but that pig was a curveball for me.

McKilligan posted:

You didn't see what they did with the character designs for the requisite social network game. Especially Selvaria.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Our first battle in the barious desert. The mission itself isn't all that difficult, especially since the one gimmick that happens midway through makes the whole "rush the base" strategy pretty viable.

Poil posted:

Ok that pig was just too cute. :3:
Did... that guy in the cut scene have a cow(?) skull strapped to his shoulder? Why? Is it fashionable?

Maybe I'll watch the anime after the lp is over then. I was almost about to.
Hans is the real hero of this game!!!

The skull sort of makes sense considering he's called jaeger which basically means hunter in german. Although something like a stag's head would've probably made a bit more sense than a cow's head. Don't know what exactly they were thinking about that.

McKilligan posted:

I'm also hoping the missions get more challenging as the game progresses - it seems like much of the challenge lies in getting good ranks rather than beating missions outright, but then again we're only a few missions into the game. I've been watching andplaying a lot of X-Com lately and it's interesting to see the similarities between the games, but as of right now, tactically, everything seems a little bit easy. Seems like most of the challenge for a competent player is in getting a good grade rather than completing the mission. I'm hoping that the enemy AI takes a more active and offensive role in future battles, it seems like now they seem to enjoy standing still until it's their turn to get shot.

Majority of the "normal" missions will probably be about as difficult like the ones we've encountered thus far. The real difficulty in those mission comes from figuring out how the abuse the maps gimmick (if there is one available).
Also the sudden change of objectives in some of those missions can throw you off guard if you don't know they're coming. The boss missions tend to be much more interesting and difficult so I'm looking forward to get to those missions.
However, there are some class trials which can be pretty tricky and then there's also the expert skirmishes which are ridiculously difficult (compared to the original maps)

The AI is probably the biggest problem the game has. They seem to be scripted to do things that seem logical considering the overall circumstances (i.e. "Our General is under attack, we need to defend him) but this can easily be abused by the player (cover the whole way between their units and their general with your own units) And then there's also those instances where the AI likes to move its units around without achieving anything.
However, if the AI manages to think properly, it can be serious threat to you (although that mostly happens during boss fights)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

SSNeoman posted:

I saw everything else coming, but that pig was a curveball for me.

You didn't see what they did with the character designs for the requisite social network game. Especially Selvaria.

Jesus Christ. I just GIS'd it, that poo poo is NWS.

Drachir D Nalem
Aug 14, 2012
I'm going to pretend it's because it's really violent to better show what a terrible thing war is. If that's not why it's NWS, for gently caress's sake don't tell me.

Do you get to fight the emperor this early in the game? Kinda hope you do, he looks like he needs to be roughed up a bit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was not expecting a desert near notatall-Belgium or whereever. But it looks like we're going to learn more later on.

Drachir D Nalem posted:

I'm going to pretend it's because it's really violent to better show what a terrible thing war is. If that's not why it's NWS, for gently caress's sake don't tell me.
Then you, hopefully, won't be told. :barf:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

McKilligan posted:

Jesus Christ. I just GIS'd it, that poo poo is NWS.

Yeah that's Japanese social network games for you. It's basically there to grab as much money from nerds before people realize what a lovely deal they're getting.

VC in general is a story about Sega stepping on a rake over and over. From what Sheep (from his Tokimemo LP) and the VC thread says apparently VC1 didn't sell well in Japan. it was actually mildly popular in the US, though both countries actually have pretty strong fandoms, even if they're not that big. Well that just wasn't good enough for Sega, so come VC2 they went apeshit. Appeal to a wider JP audience! VC2 now has a high school setting! There are more idols! There are more cutesy characters! Love us! LOVE US!
They also released it on the PSP Vita which made the maps become smaller.
The net result was that the US fandom peaced out, they signed up for anime WW2 tactics games not the latest Idiot Factory romp. And who the gently caress has a Vita around here anyway?
The JP audience STILL didn't give a poo poo.
VC2 was so lackluster that they didn't even bother translating VC3 into English (that was literally the reason Sega gave). Instead they opted to squeeze as much money from the JP audience as possible with that social network game.
So fans did what Segadon't and released an English translation in 2013.

So as you can see, video game publishers are not people. They are :downs: homunculi who live in vacuum-sealed rooms and subsist on large amounts of money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Vita and PSP are two different machines. Also, VC1 was not popular at all in Japan until they made the anime which resulted in the greenlight for VC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I picked this game up in the recent 50% off sale, so I guess I'll be playing along a bit. I already watched the first LP of this game. I've heard that going for A-ranks in each mission is one of the least fun ways to play, so I won't be worrying about that. I might do a couple skirmishes more than once to make up for the XP, though.

For operation Cloudburst, I started to deploy only a couple troops at the starting position, and more from the other camps I captured - a lot of units wouldn't get enough use from their AP to move from the start anyway. I think I used Alica and Rosie at the start to capture the first post (Rosie was there to defend against the Shocktrooper in the street where you blew the hole through the wall). I didn't actually visit that street, and just sent my tank up the street.

The enemy didn't use their sniper to shoot our sniper in the tower at the start because there actually isn't a line-of-sight, I tried counter-sniping from the tower once, but couldn't see him. I deployed my Sniper from the first captured base and used him to decent effect in a couple places. The third turn they did a check-in, but Isara deflected suspicion. I think I beat it on the fourth turn and got a B rank. If the enemy reaches their phase on the fourth turn, then they get suspicious and call for reinforcements, but those won't appear until the fifth turn.

EDIT: Just B-ranked Kloden Wildwoods in 6 Turns. I guess it was because I took the boss down below a certain HP threshold. I didn't realize THAT was the main objective or else I would have focused on the tank more and worried about getting troops close to the final cap point less. Still though, it worked out, after the retreat, I still had 1 AP left and Alicia was within range of the final flag, otherwise I would have had to go to Team 7.

My strategy was to take Rosie north to kill the Anti-Tank gun - if you put Rosie in the farthest-right spot, she can make it to a view of the gun even running around the mine - and Alica to kill the leader there and claim the base. I had the Eidelweiss break the logs, then brought in a sniper to take out the lancers and other small troops, an engineer to keep the Eidelweiss's in good repair, and Largo to assist with the medium tank. The Eidelweiss itself sniped out the second anti-tank weapon even though I couldn't see it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 12, 2015

• Locked thread