Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Cake Attack posted:

bruhl is probably my least favorite mission in the game. i'm not 100% sure, but in my experience it's the only map in the game that's impossible to A rank without using cheese tactics like loading a scout up with orders and having them run across the map, since you only have a single turn for the A rank.

It should really be two turns, if you play well you can kill the ace, all the enemy leader types and capture the base in two turns.

Yeah. My first time through, I was still bummed about what happened in the last mission and took out my frustrations on the enemy. I played fantastically, tore a brutal swath through the enemies, killed absolutely everything, finished in two turns and was left staring in disbelief at my "B" rank.

E: More generally, I'd say that it doesn't make much sense that just capturing a point would necessarily end a mission instantly. It makes sense in some maps, such as Operation Cloudburst, but in others it just seems stupid.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

David Corbett posted:

E: More generally, I'd say that it doesn't make much sense that just capturing a point would necessarily end a mission instantly. It makes sense in some maps, such as Operation Cloudburst, but in others it just seems stupid.

Yep. The end of the mission where we had the loss looked really dumb because there was a guy standing right there who could just turn around, headshot our guy, and take the base back. Instead he's just like "Welp, guess we lose. We out!". It also kind of bothr rs me when the enemy doesn't use all their commander points. Ape left Welkin in a position to eat two more tank rounds enemy had points for but never used. That damage could have cost the map.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The enemy only uses multiple CP on the same unit if they're scripted to, and even then only for a specific number of actions. It's not really playing by the same rules as the player.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
After-Action Report: Ch. 12 – Return to Bruhl

My reaction when I heard that there would be a lot of snipers in this mission: :getin:

My first attempt, I once again deployed everyone, but I actually managed to kill most people and cap the midway enemy base with Alicia, so I realized that I shouldn’t have deployed Largo and Jann at the starting camp. I restarted.

I killed the Scout leader, and two snipers with Marina, Grenaded to death two enemies behind sandbags with a scout (with one grenade!). I brought up Catherine just far enough to take out two more Snipers, then got her back to retreat her. Then it was Alicia’s turn. She killed the Shocktrooper on the hill, and made it most of the way to the midway base. Next she killed a sniper watching it, and then a Shocktrooper there, capped it, and I called in Largo and Catherine as reinforcements. If I’d really been planning properly, I wouldn’t have deployed Rosie at base so I could have deployed her there as well.

In Turn 2, I used Largo to kill the two Anti-Tank cannons, and he still had enough AP to get behind the enemy Ace Tank for a Radiator shot. Catherine killed a sniper on the Windmill, Alicia grenaded a Scout leader out of cover, and then shot a Shocktrooper. I brought a second scout - Nancy - from base camp up to grenade the Ace Sniper out of cover. Catherine shot him. I forget what else happened, but I ended up down to two CP left, with only the anti-tank cannon in the final base and a crouching Lancer left. Neither scout had any grenades left, nor could they do enough damage to the cannon to finish it off (even with supporting fire). I ultimately ended the turn to save those CP.

Alas, this mission brought back the bullshit rushing required, as before ending the second turn, I checked and saw that you need to beat it in one turn for A-Rank. An interesting idea, since even Scouts would have a hard time just having enough AP to get all the way to the other end in three moves, never mind the enemy fire.

But since a third turn completion was also still a B-Rank, I decided to let that go anyway. Two enemy Shocktroopers appeared as reinforcements and killed Nancy before getting into cover. I brought Largo back around to shoot the Anti-Tank cannon (he’s actually been pretty reliable aim-wise recently), and the Shamrock, all the way from start to come up and Mortar the crouching Shocktroopers (it took 4 AP to get into range), then I splurged and had it go again to machinegun one to death. Catherine finished the other, then Alicia grenaded and shot the Lancer Leader and capped to end it. Everyone is dead, it was still a B-rank, good enough.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The enemy making really poor decisions is amusing to me so I don't feel too bad about it. Sooo many scouts that died from kinda running back and forth through idle fire like a squirrel trying to cross the road.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah, the enemy AI is kind of weird in Valkyria Chronicles. Best I can tell is that it has a very limited set of tactics: enemy units are normally set to defend a particular point, to patrol a certain area, or to rush up to your base camp. This is compounded by the fact that the AI appears to work by treating individual units as individual units attempting to achieve their personal objective, taking potshots at your units when they can but otherwise making no attempts to move as a cohesive group or to avoid your emplacements. It was probably most noticeable to me in mission 8b, where I actually took the time to clear out the north end of the map with Welkin and Alicia on my first try. Didn't get a very good rank for that, but it did allow Rosie and Vyse to shoot down a lot of incoming reinforcements from the enemy base while the rest of the enemy force mostly just stood around not really having good shots at anything.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

David Corbett posted:

Yeah. My first time through, I was still bummed about what happened in the last mission and took out my frustrations on the enemy. I played fantastically, tore a brutal swath through the enemies, killed absolutely everything, finished in two turns and was left staring in disbelief at my "B" rank.

One of the big problems I have with this game is that the way you're rewarded and the types of missions given to you just don't really work together most of the time.

The idea behind the ranking system is to reward you for getting the maximum value out of your precious CP. This works well with the most boss battles and also some of the class trials, because you're facing either a super tough enemy or just big mob of enemies so you have to think how to use your CP most effectively in order to complete this mission fast enough. However, the majority of the story missions are capture the flag missions which don't really need that much strategy for the most part. Most of the time you can easily A-Rank those missions by giving Alicia a defense boost, maybe an attack boost and then just run towards their base and just finish it.
I would've loved to see more of those "Don't let the enemy reach this area"-missions because they required probably the most planning out of all the missions.

Clarste posted:

The enemy only uses multiple CP on the same unit if they're scripted to, and even then only for a specific number of actions. It's not really playing by the same rules as the player.
This scripting they used is somewhat of a double edged sword in my opinion.

Take the battle against the Batomys for example. Selvaria and her troops are guaranteed to position themselves between your first base (which is already destroyed by the Batomys) and the giant tank. If you know that that's going to happen, you can use that information to your advantage and you won't have to deal with Selvaria in any way. However, every guy who made an LP had his units behind the Batomys, so they always had to deal with Selvaria. As far as I know everybody (including me) who ever played this mission the first time through ended up in that position. So that scripting seems to work.

The big problem is that the AI will always make the exact same moves every single time. They might take an additional shot at one of your units if they're out in the open, but even that's unlikely most of the time.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

But since a third turn completion was also still a B-Rank, I decided to let that go anyway. Two enemy Shocktroopers appeared as reinforcements and killed Nancy before getting into cover. I brought Largo back around to shoot the Anti-Tank cannon (he’s actually been pretty reliable aim-wise recently), and the Shamrock, all the way from start to come up and Mortar the crouching Shocktroopers (it took 4 AP to get into range), then I splurged and had it go again to machinegun one to death. Catherine finished the other, then Alicia grenaded and shot the Lancer Leader and capped to end it. Everyone is dead, it was still a B-rank, good enough.
The Shamrock was pretty much the last thing I'd expect to reach the back lines of the enemy since it's starting location is pretty far off to the eastern side. Aren't there like anti tank mines scattered around the around or are there just too few to actually have any effect on your tanks progress?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like, while the smaller maps are a limitation due to the PSP, VC2 and 3 encourages variety use because you are jumping from area to area via capturing points. The bigger maps are obviously more grand and cool to look at, but also actively encourages the solo Scout+Defense Order I feel.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Apepresident posted:

The Shamrock was pretty much the last thing I'd expect to reach the back lines of the enemy since it's starting location is pretty far off to the eastern side. Aren't there like anti tank mines scattered around the around or are there just too few to actually have any effect on your tanks progress?

I believe that the Shamrock, as a Light Tank, can move farther than the Eidelweiss. It didn't actually reach the back lines, but it reached the midway point where the side street comes out. I did have to move it twice, though. There weren't enough anti-tank mines to be a problem, they were easy to avoid. I think I had to use it because I couldn't spare the scout's grenades to destroy the cover.

The next mission at least should be more interesting. I think I actually left Alicia at the home camp for that one.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Going back to one of the class challenges because we need to get some more of that stuff out of the way. This time around it's Homer Perons engineer trial which is a little bit harder than the other two trials we did before but it's still among the easier ones.
After killing the scout ace we're rewarded with the ZM Kar 9 which is slightly better than the ZM Kar 8 but actually has absolutely no reason to exist. Well atleast we got the easy ones finally out of the way so the next trials should be more of a challenge.

Tae posted:

I feel like, while the smaller maps are a limitation due to the PSP, VC2 and 3 encourages variety use because you are jumping from area to area via capturing points. The bigger maps are obviously more grand and cool to look at, but also actively encourages the solo Scout+Defense Order I feel.

Asking out of curiousity, did the new classes add anything to the game? It seems like some of this "advanced classes" such as the anti tank sniper or whatever it's called aren't really all that necessary (since they're basically a normal sniper with a strong anti armor weapon).
Still the variety of classes seems awesome.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
For this class trial, I sent the Eidelweiss on the route that went past the radiators of four enemy tanks. None survived. I ignored the D4 lancer, and didn't know there was an enemy ace on the map.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Apepresident posted:

Asking out of curiousity, did the new classes add anything to the game? It seems like some of this "advanced classes" such as the anti tank sniper or whatever it's called aren't really all that necessary (since they're basically a normal sniper with a strong anti armor weapon).
Still the variety of classes seems awesome.

There's a lot wrong with how classes work outside of the usual balancing act. For one thing, Snipers are a sub-class of Scouts which is dumb. There's stuff like Bards and buff/de-buff which I guess were supposed to be the replacement for Orders, but they require so many materials that it's too little too late. The sheer amount of grinding needed really prevents you from trying out classes to make it fun.

The biggest addition were Fencers which were basically invincible melee units because of how big their shield was, and they could kill even crouching units in one hit. So if VC1 was Scout fest, VC2 was day of the Fencers once you had access to a host of them. Only downside was no overwatch but meh.

VC3 changed it back to promotion classes like VC1 (Snipers are back to their own class), and made it more like FF5 job class where you take certain abilities to plug in other classes. Like Skill 2 of Engineer and Skill 2 of Scout would unlock a unique ability that's far more powerful, like instant AP refill. Also they nerfed the poo poo out of Fencers by giving them a tiny shield which makes them useless for the most part.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That guy was indeed weird and a bit creepy. I wonder if he writes disturbing tank fanfiction in his spare time?

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 28, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So if you still haven't bought VC, it's 50% off again and if you go to http://www.greenmangaming.com/ with the voucher code, it's basically 8 american dollars.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:catstare:

That was an interesting challenge, but that character intro was out there. Not the worst I've seen, but definitely out of character for this game.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!

The time has come to fight the biggest battle of the entire gallian war. Although this mission isn't all that big to be honest and there are like one or two which have more enemy unis but oh well it still does its job.
The mission is once again a capture the flag one but this time they but a little twist on it which makes some minor changes but it isn't all that big of a deal. Also we meet Selvaria again, although this time around she's much less of a threat to us than last time.
Oh, and it also seems like Alicia is going to take a little break for now ....

Poil posted:

That guy was indeed weird and a bit creepy. I wonder if he writes disturbing tank fanfiction in his spare time?

Hmm, now I wonder how messed up this guys wet dreams have to be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah the classic and most severe danger any soldier will face, the hybris and incompetence of their own leaders. Works really well with trench based maps for some reason.

Goddamn that sniper was a retard, if it was an enemy. Aiming for a non-lethal area on the non-leader? We didn't get to see who shot and that is highly suspicious. For some reason I'm suspecting that archaeologist. He knows a lot about valkyrians and is the only one who suspects/realizes Alicia has that blood. But it seems a bit extreme for him. It could also be a smart enemy who wanted to prevent her from unlocking the powers by keeping her away from the battles but that leaves the question how in the world they found out about it. Or a dumb enemy who thinks that she's going to join their side afterwards. Of course it might just be that there needed to be another dramatic moment and I'm just overthinking and guessing too much. :v:

Apepresident posted:

Hmm, now I wonder how messed up this guys wet dreams have to be.

Maybe if he likes cake too?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Is it just me or does this game just move really slowly? Like your units run slow, animations play slow. Even when I stop and start pressing the move key it takes an inordinate amount of time for a unit to stop or start moving.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"Yes my leader who I obey and worship. I will follow you for you saved me from a facility where I was experimented on. I never knew my parents and I had no friends, but you gave me a purpose. But you know all that."
"...I'm happy that you're happy?"

I hate this sort of stilted exposition. It's a Star Wars text crawl in dialogue form.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Chaltab posted:

Is it just me or does this game just move really slowly? Like your units run slow, animations play slow. Even when I stop and start pressing the move key it takes an inordinate amount of time for a unit to stop or start moving.

You can get some insane frame drops from time to time but it shouldn't be constant so maybe you're experiencing something different than I did. Then I again I didn't encounter that problem during any of the recording sessions .
From what I've read it's supposed to be a problem with the V-Sync so try turning it off and see if it works. This site also suggests limiting your framerate to 30FPS.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If your computer isn't high spec, it's better to have it cap at 30. This ain't an action game, you don't need 60 FPS.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have discovered that you can get A-Ranks on most of these missions without using the Cheat Rifle, and using more units than just Scouts.

I thought the random Gallian tank Selvaria blew up was poor example as it only had 100 HP. A better example to show how dangerous she was would have been to blow up something with a couple thousand HP... because she can in fact one-shot the Eidelweiss.

After-Action Report: Ch. 13 – Showdown at Naggiur I

I have a new phrase. No troop deployment survives contact with the map. Because on my first attempt, I deployed Marina at the start location that did NOT have a Sniper tower. *sigh*. I continued, but I attacked the enemy Scout ace, who on his turn ran up to my empty main base and captured it.

Attempt 2 fell victim to the “Sudden Victory Conditions Change” thing. I didn’t realize there was a big fat tank sitting in the capture square, and had no lancers deployed there (and didn’t bother to deploy any), so my Nancy/Jane/Rosie group couldn’t capture, and I failed to hit Selvaria with the Eidelweiss shots twice, and she one-shot it because I neglected to stick it into a bunker. But at least that gave me a better plan for Attempt 3.

I deployed Marina (SNI), Edy (SHK), Aika (SCT), and Alicia in the left, and Largo, Rosie, Jane (SHK) and Nancy (SCT) in the east. I actually never moved Alicia or Largo at all, and I only moved Edy once as the first move to kill a nearby Elite Scout. Marina I then used to take out two troops who were covering the left approach to the enemy trenches. I sent Aika over to first grenade the hidden ace on the left, then blow up the explosive barrel behind the gatling cannon and get the ace facing directly away from Marina so she could shoot him.

Jane, I sent across no man’s land to the east, killing a scout, and then moving again and healing from the minor bunker damage she, as a shocktrooper, could handle. Rosie I sent to kill another nearby scout, and I think that was it for Turn 1.

In Turn 2, I had Aika grenade a Shocktrooper leader out of cover, then Marina shot him. I had no real need for any more sniping, AND I needed a spare deployment point, so I used the rest of Marina’s AP to move her back to retreat. Aika was now done for the mission. It was a bit of a waste that she didn’t capture that open base, but I didn’t feel like the CP was worth it. I suppose I could have just as easily never sent her in and used Alicia instead. Oh well.

Jane went up behind the next cannon bunker and blew it up, so Rosie and Nancy could cross without getting damaged. They each killed a Shocktrooper, I believe, and destroyed the enemy cover at the midway camp. I think that was it for Turn 2. Thanks to good positioning, my counter-fire killed all the enemies around the midway camp.

In Turn 3, I moved in to capture the midway camp with Rosie. I think that was her first camp capture. I summoned Jann as a reinforcement, as I would need a Lancer. Of course, Selvaria appeared. I moved the Eidelweiss into a rut and mortared her, turning her purple? The rest of my turn was spent moving up Rosie, Jane and Nancy into position near the enemy camp and healing themselves.

In Turn 4, I moved to flank the tank from behind with Rosie, Nancy and Jane, then brough Jann up to kill its radiator. After that it was just mopping up the rest of the troops, and I let Jane capture the base. A-Rank.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 1, 2015

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Tae posted:

If your computer isn't high spec, it's better to have it cap at 30. This ain't an action game, you don't need 60 FPS.

I think if you uncap the FPS you have to remove vsync or it runs half speed for some reason? You might be able to enable vsync from your graphics driver setting again, although I didn't really bother trying it myself since my PC can't really get more than 30 FPS out of it anyway.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 1, 2015

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

SSNeoman posted:

"Yes my leader who I obey and worship. I will follow you for you saved me from a facility where I was experimented on. I never knew my parents and I had no friends, but you gave me a purpose. But you know all that."
"...I'm happy that you're happy?"

I hate this sort of stilted exposition. It's a Star Wars text crawl in dialogue form.

Well, isn't that like a pretty japanese/anime thing? I mean there are tons of shows where this stuff is commonly used (especially in the middle of fighting scenes).
It's still a horrible way of story telling but I guess they need to tell you some of her backstory in some way or another.

I have discovered that you can get A-Ranks on most of these missions without using the Cheat Rifle, and using more units than just Scouts.

I thought the random Gallian tank Selvaria blew up was poor example as it only had 100 HP. A better example to show how dangerous she was would have been to blow up something with a couple thousand HP... because she can in fact one-shot the Eidelweiss.

After-Action Report: Ch. 13 – Showdown at Naggiur I

I have a new phrase. No troop deployment survives contact with the map. Because on my first attempt, I deployed Marina at the start location that did NOT have a Sniper tower. *sigh*. I continued, but I attacked the enemy Scout ace, who on his turn ran up to my empty main base and captured it.

Attempt 2 fell victim to the “Sudden Victory Conditions Change” thing. I didn’t realize there was a big fat tank sitting in the capture square, and had no lancers deployed there (and didn’t bother to deploy any), so my Nancy/Jane/Rosie group couldn’t capture, and I failed to hit Selvaria with the Eidelweiss shots twice, and she one-shot it because I neglected to stick it into a bunker. But at least that gave me a better plan for Attempt 3.

I deployed Marina (SNI), Edy (SHK), Aika (SCT), and Alicia in the left, and Largo, Rosie, Jane (SHK) and Nancy (SCT) in the east. I actually never moved Alicia or Largo at all, and I only moved Edy once as the first move to kill a nearby Elite Scout. Marina I then used to take out two troops who were covering the left approach to the enemy trenches. I sent Aika over to first grenade the hidden ace on the left, then blow up the explosive barrel behind the gatling cannon and get the ace facing directly away from Marina so she could shoot him.

Jane, I sent across no man’s land to the east, killing a scout, and then moving again and healing from the minor bunker damage she, as a shocktrooper, could handle. Rosie I sent to kill another nearby scout, and I think that was it for Turn 1.

In Turn 2, I had Aika grenade a Shocktrooper leader out of cover, then Marina shot him. I had no real need for any more sniping, AND I needed a spare deployment point, so I used the rest of Marina’s AP to move her back to retreat. Aika was now done for the mission. It was a bit of a waste that she didn’t capture that open base, but I didn’t feel like the CP was worth it. I suppose I could have just as easily never sent her in and used Alicia instead. Oh well.

Jane went up behind the next cannon bunker and blew it up, so Rosie and Nancy could cross without getting damaged. They each killed a Shocktrooper, I believe, and destroyed the enemy cover at the midway camp. I think that was it for Turn 2. Thanks to good positioning, my counter-fire killed all the enemies around the midway camp.

In Turn 3, I moved in to capture the midway camp with Rosie. I think that was her first camp capture. I summoned Jann as a reinforcement, as I would need a Lancer. Of course, Selvaria appeared. I moved the Eidelweiss into a rut and mortared her, turning her purple? The rest of my turn was spent moving up Rosie, Jane and Nancy into position near the enemy camp and healing themselves.

In Turn 4, I moved to flank the tank from behind with Rosie, Nancy and Jane, then brough Jann up to kill its radiator. After that it was just mopping up the rest of the troops, and I let Jane capture the base. A-Rank.

Seems like Selvaria got a major weapon upgrade since the last time we fought her in the Barious desert. Back there the Edelweis was able to provide some cover from her magic beams and now all of a sudde she can destroy it in one hit.

Also pretty funny that attacking Selvaria turns her into a shiny purple Valkyria instead of a shiny blue Valkyria. Does that actually have an affect on her behaviour? I mean Varrot was talking about shooting her to delay her or something so maybe it does make sense to shoot your if you need to buy some additional time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Apepresident posted:

Seems like Selvaria got a major weapon upgrade since the last time we fought her in the Barious desert. Back there the Edelweis was able to provide some cover from her magic beams and now all of a sudde she can destroy it in one hit.

Also pretty funny that attacking Selvaria turns her into a shiny purple Valkyria instead of a shiny blue Valkyria. Does that actually have an affect on her behaviour? I mean Varrot was talking about shooting her to delay her or something so maybe it does make sense to shoot your if you need to buy some additional time.

Well, she can now, yes. I guess she stopped fooling around. I heard that hitting her with tank fire puts her into a defensive mode and she won't go after your base.

Also, I know that there's a way to do Chapter 15b - "Last Stand" in like 1-2 turns, but since you get like 8 turns to do it with an A-Rank, could you at save the super-cheesy way as a bonus and do that one in a longer way as well?

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012
The rockets in chapter 13 simply hit anyone in the indicated area who is not currently inside a trench. Which means you don't actually need to worry about units in your base getting hit, but it does make getting low-AP units like lancers across the field a bit trickier than it might otherwise have been. It's not really all that punishing, but between that and Selvaria, you're heavily incentivised for staying in the trenches as much as possible, which is of course the point of a map designed to emulate WWI trench warfare.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
So, apparently Alicia is a much more badass Valkyria than Selvaria is .... seems logical (not)
Anyways, we get our strongest unit back and after this missions she even unlocks one of the two missing Personal Potentials. We also get some more clues about the shooting incident, although that one is super obvious so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

The missions this time around can be tricky to A-Rank on the first attempt due to the sudden change of objectives half way through the mission. We also get to enjoy the power of having a shiny blue Valkyria in our team (although we can't directly control her). I've seen people A-Rank this mission with more infantry units, but I personally think that using your tanks is the safest way to do this.

Well, she can now, yes. I guess she stopped fooling around. I heard that hitting her with tank fire puts her into a defensive mode and she won't go after your base.

Also, I know that there's a way to do Chapter 15b - "Last Stand" in like 1-2 turns, but since you get like 8 turns to do it with an A-Rank, could you at save the super-cheesy way as a bonus and do that one in a longer way as well?

I really didn't know that you were able to cheese this mission. Then I looked it up and holy crap, there are so many ways to cheese the hell out of this mission! And here I thought that this one is the hardest story mission in the entire game.

Don't know exactly what strategy you were talking about, but here are a couple of ways to win in 1 turn. Although the first one seems to be next to impossible or at least extremely luck dependant.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Apepresident posted:

So, apparently Alicia is a much more badass Valkyria than Selvaria is .... seems logical (not)
:neckbeard:

Maybe since Alicia was unconscious the Valkyria power fought in her stead, and it's more powerful when it can be used completely synchronized (?), which is more difficult when you're conscious and requires a lot of training? Or something. It might get explained?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can't remember if this was in a art book info, but valkyries get weaker as they use their power. So you have a fresh full power god vs. one that's about...80, 70% at this point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wait... using the tanks? Who are you and what have you done with ApePresident?

Poil posted:

:neckbeard:

Maybe since Alicia was unconscious the Valkyria power fought in her stead, and it's more powerful when it can be used completely synchronized (?), which is more difficult when you're conscious and requires a lot of training? Or something. It might get explained?

Another thing is that I think Selvaria is like a Shocktrooper, while Alicia is a Scout. Notice that Alicia's victory was mostly her being faster than Selvaria - faster to dodge and evade.

Tae posted:

I can't remember if this was in a art book info, but valkyries get weaker as they use their power. So you have a fresh full power god vs. one that's about...80, 70% at this point.

It does seem like something that would be tiring. That might also explain why the empire used Selvaria sparingly: Just in the battle to protect Maxamillian, and in this one where it's the most critical battle.

After-Action Report: Ch. 14 – Showdown at Naggiur II

I should have known it was a trap.

After Alicia killed one cannon bunker and anti-tank cannon with one shot, and killed a second anti-tank cannon with a second shot, I moved the Eidelweiss up to take out another AT cannon, and the Shamrock to mortar the ace. Then I brought Aika up to kill the ace, and I slapped a Damage Boost order on her so she could get behind the enemy tank destroyer, kill its Radiator, and capture the enemy camp.

That left me with 3 AP to deal with some of the reinforcements. No sign of the second enemy tank (it was in the north valley). I had Marina kill the enemy Sniper and Shocktroopers, which is when I realized that we didn’t have a base to retreat her from.

I then was also annoyed because the enemy was able to replace those units IMMEDIATELY at the start of their turn. That’s certainly bullshit. That's something you didn't mention in the video.

It became clear that I needed to start the whole mission over again and not deploy anyone but a scout at the start, because that was just a waste of time.

Turn 1: I deployed Aika again. I first moved the Eideiweiss up and mortared the Ace, managing to one-shot kill the Ace with a mortar. I rotated it to hide the weak point from the south. The enemy actually never uses the anti-tank turret or the cannon bunker on the west side once the trap is sprung. I moved Aika once, and then put both the Defense Boost and Damage Boost orders on her, so she could 3-bullet-kill the Tank Destroyer’s radiator (still using a royal reward weapon, not the super-overpowered one). She capped the base on her turn, I summoned in Marina (SNI), Jane (SHK), Ramona (SCT), and Hector (LAN) again, and moved her to cover to hide.

Even with the defense boost order and crouching Aika did not survive the sniper attacks (although in a previous attempt that is possible).

Turn 2, I had to move everyone in the base anyway to avoid incoming Incendiary shells. I moved Hector up twice (he rescued Aika on the way) and hid him in the grass near the top of the ramp. Ramona killed one Sniper and moved into cover to guard the south approach, Jane killed the other and moved into cover just outside of the mortar’s range in the south. I think Marina must have killed someone when I moved her as well, but I don’t remember who. Maybe a shocktrooper near the north tank?

I brought up the Shamrock to crush some sandbags to make the path easier, and it mortared some cover away from a Lancer and Shocktrooper. I had 4 AP left, and I used that to have Rosie kill the Shocktrooper and Sniper, turning her at the end to provide covering fire. Largo moved up twice and headshot the lancer with his own lance.

An enemy sniper wounded Marina, the Shamrock took significant damage from an enemy tank, Rosie and Largo ate a few bullets, but survived.

I knew I needed to finish both tanks in Turn 3, but I could only use the Damage Boost and Defense Boost orders once. Instead I eschewed both of them, and spent three points on the Awaken All potential, figuring that would benefit everyone. I brought Marina up into the sniper nest (Nest Master) to take out the shocktrooper guarding the north tank.

Largo moved down twice to get into range, taking a little damage, but not too bad, thanks probably to Veggie Maniac. His second move just barely got him even with the radiator, and he hit it with Double Tank Damage. I moved him again and he got Tank Slayer (I think) and finished it off.

Hector crawled down the slope and as close to the tank as he could, then he moved some more. I think he needed a third CP just to reach an angle on the Radiator, but it was enough and he did pretty good damage to it. I moved him once more and he finished it with his second shot. There’s the A-Rank!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tae posted:

Ah, that would be a much simpler explanation. It must suck to run out of juice when deflecting tank shells though. :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Apepresident posted:

Well, isn't that like a pretty japanese/anime thing? I mean there are tons of shows where this stuff is commonly used (especially in the middle of fighting scenes).
It's still a horrible way of story telling but I guess they need to tell you some of her backstory in some way or another.

Ugh those are even worse yeah. There are still better ways to give backstory. She could have talked about it with Jaegar, seeing as they are both dependent on Maximilian for one reason or another.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Hey, the Shamrock got used, hooray! I kinda like it. You rarely see it used, so I was hoping there was some pro tier secret to turn it into the Scout of the tank world, necessary to cheese a ton of A ranks, but no such luck.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

I haven't played VC2 (I'm a PC guy), and I heard it's terribly anime in the 'terrible anime' sense, but I'd buy it if it would mean getting VC3, which sounds absolutely kickass.

Honestly I can't think of a single good thing to say about VC2 but if you liked VC1, from what I played the third game is basically more of that but somewhat better.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hey, the Shamrock got used, hooray! I kinda like it. You rarely see it used, so I was hoping there was some pro tier secret to turn it into the Scout of the tank world, necessary to cheese a ton of A ranks, but no such luck.

the shamrock is good

the flamethrower will completely obliterate wide swathes of infantry while taking no damage

it's still slow enough that it's hard to ever use, but it's useful in some of the DLC

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
SEGA apparently is out of the console business. I doubt it, but maybe it'll mean VC3 will show up on the PC some day. One can dream. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh this mission :munch:.

I love Valkyria Chronicles but I swear when I saw that cutscene for the first time I could see "DRAMATIC DEATH IN 5...4...3..." flash across the screen, timed right down to the moment it happened.

Boy if you think THAT's bad... :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Honestly I can't think of a single good thing to say about VC2 but if you liked VC1, from what I played the third game is basically more of that but somewhat better.

3 is drastically better in every way. You literally can't fill in the pre-deployment slots in VC2 because of the character limit. That's how fundamentally bad it is. The only negative thing are fencers nerfed to poo poo but War Engineers are close enough.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

3 is drastically better in every way. You literally can't fill in the pre-deployment slots in VC2 because of the character limit. That's how fundamentally bad it is. The only negative thing are fencers nerfed to poo poo but War Engineers are close enough.

While I agree that 3 basically improves on it in every way, I think the foundations of 2 were solid enough that improving on them was worth doing. While 2 definitely stumbled a bit, and farming certificates was the worst game design decision ever made, 3 is ultimately more like 2 than it is like 1, so if 2 had never been made I doubt 3 would be as good as it is. Heck, it reuses all of 2's maps.

Also I'm not sure why you'd think filling all the pre-deployment slots is the mark of a good game. Frankly, in both 2 and 3 you're better off leaving most of the slots empty anyway, since it gives you more versatility to deploy people mid-battle. Having more slots available than you have characters also gives you the choice to devote more or less of your team to particular areas of the battlefield, which you might notice is a kind of freedom that promotes making real tactical choices. In games where you have to fill in every slot no matter what I usually don't even think about where to place people, except maybe "melee characters closer to the front", because it becomes irrelevant by the second turn. Having to stop and think "well, I guess this place needs more defense than that other place" is 1000% more interesting, even being as simple as it is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's not the lack of ability to fill deployment slots is the problem, it's the prelude that you can only have that many people on the map at a time, which is really limiting in some of the later maps and which VC3 bumped up the character limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

...that's also a tactical decision. The game really supports deploying someone to do some very specific task ("kill that guy, capture this base") and then sending them back to the waiting room while you're not using them. You need a certain number of people sitting around to guard bases, but honestly I never really had any trouble with this limit because it's kind of higher than you would need anyway. The same strategies work in VC3 too, because it's pretty much the same except with weaker Fencers.

This is also why you shouldn't pre-deploy too many people. If they're not standing in a base, then they're just going to be wasting the deployment limit and also your CP moving them back. Make every action with a plan behind it, instead of just vomiting all your pieces onto the board.

• Locked thread